PDA

View Full Version : Precedent set?

Pride
06-11-2008, 02:41 PM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP)—New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress is refusing to practice because the Super Bowl champions haven’t renegotiated his contract.

Burress reported to Giants Stadium for a mandatory minicamp Wednesday, but said he told the coaching staff he won’t workout without a new deal.

The wide receiver says he has three years left on his current deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-giants-burress&prov=ap&type=lgns

Pride
06-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Do he and Peter's share the same agent? Or the same brain?

ddaryl
06-11-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm back to the mindset that we just lets these asswipes sit.

this sign a contract and demand a new one one or 2 years later crap has always been a thorn in my side. I know players have a small window of opportunity, and they can be cut at any time, but at some point the fans should be able to expect the players to honor at least 80% - 90% of their contract before even thinking about a new deal.

gr8slayer
06-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I say just let them sit out, they'll eventually get tired of losing millions of dollars and come back. They don't get that they are only hurting themselves with this kind of crap.

methos4ever
06-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Peters has the same agent Walter Jones does, so he'll be well versed in holding out...

gr8slayer
06-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Peters has the same agent Walter Jones does, so he'll be well versed in holding out...
Refresh my memory; I honestly don't recall Jones holding out.

DraftBoy
06-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Refresh my memory; I honestly don't recall Jones holding out.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002037020_kell16.html

gr8slayer
06-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Jones held out of Seattle camp, I think 2 years ago for a while over contractual issues.
Length? I know he got a huge contract but I didn't think he held out.

Pride
06-11-2008, 03:05 PM
how'd it work out for him?

Jan Reimers
06-11-2008, 03:06 PM
'Tis the season to be greedy. . .

The Answer
06-11-2008, 03:07 PM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP)—New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress is refusing to practice because the Super Bowl champions haven’t renegotiated his contract.

Burress reported to Giants Stadium for a mandatory minicamp Wednesday, but said he told the coaching staff he won’t workout without a new deal.

The wide receiver says he has three years left on his current deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-giants-burress&prov=ap&type=lgns

Great so not only will Peters continue to hold out but Evans is going to sit back and wait to see how much money Burress gets before he even considers signing a new deal with us.

~The Answer

gr8slayer
06-11-2008, 03:08 PM
how'd it work out for him?
Great, he became the highest paid OL in the league for a year.

RingofFire
06-11-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't think it is greedy at all. I feel if you outperform your contract you have an absolute right to demand it be redone. As long as you do it professionally. As in going on TV/media and bashing the team. Just hear me out. If a player underperforms his deal. He is asked to take a paycut/rework deal or outright cut! These are not guaranteed contracts like in baseball. These guys play a high risk sport and an injury can happen at any point. So who is greedy? Owners can cut them when they stink. It ain't guaranteed. I understand, live out deal u signed, but it works both ways.

gr8slayer
06-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't think it is greedy at all. I feel if you outperform your contract you have an absolute right to demand it be redone. As long as you do it professionally. As in going on TV/media and bashing the team. Just hear me out. If a player underperforms his deal. He is asked to take a paycut/rework deal or outright cut! These are not guaranteed contracts like in baseball. These guys play a high risk sport and an injury can happen at any point. So who is greedy? Owners can cut them when they stink. It ain't guaranteed. I understand, live out deal u signed, but it works both ways.
I agree with you to a point. I don't personally buy the whole; "well he signed the deal so he needs to play until it's done" type stuff all the time. Peters is one person who absolutely deserves a bigger contract, two years ago he wasn't a full time starter and he definitely wasn't a Pro Bowler, now he's both and thus deserves bigger money. BUT! Holding out is not the right way to get things done.

I just don't appreciate his timing when he knows that we need to re-sign Evans and Crowell NOW. Although I still think that we have the money under the cap to get all three.