PDA

View Full Version : How about LeCharles Bentley for the Bills center??

Mitchy moo
06-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Is his knee good enough to hold up???

BEREA, Ohio -- The story of LeCharles Bentley (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5930) and the Cleveland Browns (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cle) took another odd -- and final -- turn Wednesday.
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/65x90/5930.jpg Bentley

In what has been a bizarre situation from the very beginning, Bentley skipped practice this morning to ask for his release. The Browns granted it, just 24 hours after the team announced that he passed his physical and was cleared to rejoin the team.

There were good vibes coming from both sides Tuesday after Bentley practiced with the team for the first time in nearly two years.

"He asked for permission for his release and it was granted," Bentley's agent, Jonathan Feinsod said. "When LeCharles originally signed with the Browns, their situation is entirely different than it was today. Because of his injury, the Browns didn't know if and when he was going to come back and had to make alternative plans."

Apparently, Bentley has alternative plans, too.

Bentley was arguably one of the best centers in the NFL when healthy, and he didn't want to remain in Cleveland as a backup. He will be looking to sign with another team before the season where he has a better opportunity to be a starter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3437734 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3437734)

Mitchy moo
06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
If we got this guy and he is healthy enough to play well, we would really rock on the line. Fowler looks to be the only real weak link on the line to me, nothing personal of course. We also have the cap space to pick him up as well and the need.

Let's give him a physical and a very incentive laden contract based on performance.

Al the Bills Fan
06-11-2008, 06:11 PM
As Skooby stated, and as we all know, center is the only glaring weakness on our O-Line. Bentley has been very very good in the past when he has been healthy, but thats the problem, he has had some injuries the past few seasons and hasn't seen much of the field.

I wouldn't be opposed to bring him in if it is an incentive laden deal as you pointed out. I think we have 3 solid guys on our line in Walker, Doc, & Peters. We also have another guy that has shown some promise in Brad Butler, and still another guy in Melvin Folwer who has shown little promise and has garnered little fan respect or hope for the future for him.

If we can bring him in (incentive deal) and not hinder our plans for extensions for Evans, Crowell and now Peters then I would take a gamble for him.

If we can get some production out of the Center position, we could have one of the better O-Lines in the league.

VeggieMan14
06-11-2008, 06:18 PM
He still plays????? sign him up if were gonna take a risk on Stroud why not him

Mitchy moo
06-11-2008, 06:18 PM
we could have one of the better O-Lines in the league.

Based on good health, this would be an accurate statement with LB in there.

Al the Bills Fan
06-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Based on good health, this would be an accurate statement with LB in there.

of course!

Mitchy moo
06-11-2008, 07:03 PM
It also looks like a staph infection held him off the team last season versus the knee, so he has actually had 2 years for the knee to heal.

Lexwhat
06-11-2008, 07:04 PM
If we got this guy and he is healthy enough to play well, we would really rock on the line. Fowler looks to be the only real weak link on the line to me, nothing personal of course. We also have the cap space to pick him up as well and the need.

Let's give him a physical and a very incentive laden contract based on performance.

You know Skooby ... Lately you've been the voice of reason here at Billszone.

Everything you've been saying, just seems to be right on the dot (for real).

:posrep:

Jan Reimers
06-11-2008, 07:07 PM
The guy's been seriously injured for 2 years. Let's look elsewhere, including our UDFA Felton.

The Spaz
06-11-2008, 07:10 PM
He hasn't taken a snap in 2-3 years. Too much risk IMO. I'm sure he wouldn't settle on a low deal.

Mitchy moo
06-11-2008, 07:10 PM
The guy's been seriously injured for 2 years. Let's look elsewhere, including our UDFA Felton.

Stroud was as well, so if we give LB a physical and he passes with flying colors what's the difference??

Remember the guys is 28 years old, not 35.

Mitchy moo
06-11-2008, 07:12 PM
He hasn't taken a snap in 2-3 years. Too much risk IMO. I'm sure he wouldn't settle on a low deal.

When he finds the need for a injured center is limited, I think that might change alot. He asked for his walking papers a little too early in Brown town, he'll figure that out soon. If he is going to play this season, now is the time to latch onto a team.

Al the Bills Fan
06-11-2008, 07:19 PM
He is young enough to bounce back! Plus, if its an incentive laden deal and he flops, O Well! The return (if it were to work out) would far outweigh the risk.

casdhf
06-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Chances are he'd want a 1 year deal, I think he should get it somewhere else.

Al the Bills Fan
06-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Chances are he'd want a 1 year deal, I think he should get it somewhere else.

Yeah, I'd say pass to a 1 year deal as well! If he is looking for something a bit longer I say take a chance

HHURRICANE
06-11-2008, 07:29 PM
I really think his knee is spent.

gr8slayer
06-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Already posted and no.

raphael120
06-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Can we get any worse than Fowler? I dont think so....bring his fat ass in here!!!!!!

PromoTheRobot
06-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Can we get any worse than Fowler? I dont think so....bring his fat ass in here!!!!!!
I think it can actually get a lot worse than Fowler. But I would look at Bentley if he's not totally spent. I mean why would Cleveland dump him if they didn't think so?

PTR

YardRat
06-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Why would they pass his physical if they didn't think he was able to play?

I say bring him in, at least for a look. Can't hurt.

Marvelous
06-11-2008, 10:20 PM
I think we have 3 solid guys on our line in Walker, Doc, & Peters. We also have another guy that has shown some promise in Brad Butler.[/QUOTE]
I diagree a tad.. Butler stepped up to the plate in 2nd half..So i think he's more reliable or just flat out better then Langston..But that might not be saying much since our RT is by no means stud..He's servicable in the Ostroski mold IMO...
But Butler has star/elite written all over him..Awesome draft pick!!!

[QUOTE]I really think his knee is spent. agreed! The Dude is toast..I think we need to take some chances on veterans who have a suspect past. sometimes anyways...Imagine if this dude plays on his level in his last season in New Orleans!! WOW! We would be frakkin set on the O-line, like Skkob said.. Our running game would be so awesome that Trent Edwards would look pro bowl bound....
---Get er done if it's a low risk..But im a thinking the poster is right that he's most likely spent..

Mitchy moo
06-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Melvin Fowler scouting report:

Strengths: Experience, Leadership

Weaknesses: Run blocking, Pass blocking

seanbillsfan
06-12-2008, 01:27 AM
We already have an ol to sign, his name is jason peters

RingofFire
06-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Melvin Fowler scouting report:

Strengths: Experience, Leadership

Weaknesses: Run blocking, Pass blocking :rofl:

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Id definitely bring him in and depending on cost sign him.

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Id definitely bring him in and depending on cost sign him.
He wouldn't fit anywhere on the line for us.

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 10:27 AM
He wouldn't fit anywhere on the line for us.

Did we fix the OC position and I miss it?

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Did we fix the OC position and I miss it?
No but you likely missed where he said he wants to play Guard for his next team :ill:

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 10:30 AM
No but you likely missed where he said he wants to play Guard for his next team :ill:

I still see a place for him.

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:31 AM
I still see a place for him.
Butler > Bentley

The guy is done for.

mysticsoto
06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Butler > Bentley

The guy is done for.

Agreed. Bentley doesn't want to play Center and prefers guard. Considering what he has done as of late, I don't think he is physically capable of unseating Butler. More importantly, I'm not willing to pay a whole lot for a RG at this point when we need to be signing Evans and looking into how to make Peters happy and possibly extend Crowell. Bentley would have to play for peanuts, and considering he got 16 million from Cleveland, I'm pretty sure he's not going to all of a sudden drop to vet minimum for us...somebody will make him a large stupid offer (what are you waiting for Raiders?)

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Butler > Bentley

The guy is done for.

That's your opinion, Im not sold on that. Cleveland is not desperate for OL players so if he wasn't healthy they had no bring him back.

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Agreed. Bentley doesn't want to play Center and prefers guard. Considering what he has done as of late, I don't think he is physically capable of unseating Butler. More importantly, I'm not willing to pay a whole lot for a RG at this point when we need to be signing Evans and looking into how to make Peters happy and possibly extend Crowell. Bentley would have to play for peanuts, and considering he got 16 million from Cleveland, I'm pretty sure he's not going to all of a sudden drop to vet minimum for us...somebody will make him a large stupid offer (what are you waiting for Raiders?)
Exactly, there's no way you pay a guy that much when he hasn't even played the last two years.

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:40 AM
That's your opinion, Im not sold on that. Cleveland is not desperate for OL players so if he wasn't healthy they had no bring him back.
We're not desperate for OL either.... The only weakness anywhere on the line is at OC and that "weakness" looked a lot better last year.

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Exactly, there's no way you pay a guy that much when he hasn't even played the last two years.

You have no idea how much he's looking for. What if its a low base salary with decent incentives. What is wrong with a deal like that?

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:42 AM
By the way, his leg is still ****ed. He was clocked by the Browns running a 7.6 forty; forty times don't tell you much but when it's that high your leg is not in good shape.

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:42 AM
You have no idea how much he's looking for. What if its a low base salary with decent incentives. What is wrong with a deal like that?
You have to be pretty dense to think that he's going to accept something like that when he has already said that he still views himself as one of the best OL in the game.

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
You have to be pretty dense to think that he's going to accept something like that when he has already said that he still views himself as one of the best OL in the game.

What somebody says in the media means very little to me. Im not really concerned with how he views himself. That would be the only way Id sign him and given the situation I think its a realistic offer.

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:46 AM
What somebody says in the media means very little to me. Im not really concerned with how he views himself. That would be the only way Id sign him and given the situation I think its a realistic offer.
In a dream world sure..... But he clearly thinks pretty highly of himself and knows that this is probably his last chance for a pay day so it's not going to happen.

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 10:49 AM
In a dream world sure..... But he clearly thinks pretty highly of himself and knows that this is probably his last chance for a pay day so it's not going to happen.

Again you have no idea of his demands are. We can speculate all day long but Id bring him in for a try out and physical, and if he passed and looked good, Id offer him the contract Id laid out probably at a 2 yr deal.

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Again you have no idea of his demands are. We can speculate all day long but Id bring him in for a try out and physical, and if he passed and looked good, Id offer him the contract Id laid out probably at a 2 yr deal.
So you think that a guy who was a former Pro Bowler and at one time considered one the best OL in the league is going to take a small contract like that?

A guy who is still 28 and still considers himself one of the, if not the best OL in the league and has already guaranteed he'll be a full time starter somewhere next season? You think that guy is going to take something small or fair?

I would love to bring him in for a contract along the lines of what you are talking about, but there's a better chance of us trading a seventh round pick for Peyton Manning than there is him accepting something along the lines of what you've laid out. That's not how these players think.

justasportsfan
06-12-2008, 10:54 AM
If he comes in cheap , why not? Just make sure we lock up our players first.

mysticsoto
06-12-2008, 11:02 AM
If he comes in cheap , why not? Just make sure we lock up our players first.

That's just it though. Neither GR8 nor I believe that he will come cheap. Why should he, after getting $16 Million from Cleveland? What is his incentive? And then, on top of that, he'd just play RG on our team (easily the lowest key position out of the entire line).

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 11:07 AM
That's just it though. Neither GR8 nor I believe that he will come cheap. Why should he, after getting $16 Million from Cleveland? What is his incentive? And then, on top of that, he'd just play RG on our team (easily the lowest key position out of the entire line).

His incentive is that his knee may be shot and if he can regain pro bowl form Id have an incentive in his deal to pay the man.

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 11:08 AM
So you think that a guy who was a former Pro Bowler and at one time considered one the best OL in the league is going to take a small contract like that?

A guy who is still 28 and still considers himself one of the, if not the best OL in the league and has already guaranteed he'll be a full time starter somewhere next season? You think that guy is going to take something small or fair?

I would love to bring him in for a contract along the lines of what you are talking about, but there's a better chance of us trading a seventh round pick for Peyton Manning than there is him accepting something along the lines of what you've laid out. That's not how these players think.

That's such horse crap, nobody is going to pay the guy and have this huge liability without knowing how healthy he is and if he can stand up to it. He'll have to prove himself which is why I think he'll go for an incentive based deal.

Dr. Lecter
06-12-2008, 11:13 AM

He would play center long before RG. Butler >>>>>>> Fowler

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 11:14 AM

Hell Doc its like this;

Your Grandmother>>>>>Fowler

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 11:15 AM
That's such horse crap, nobody is going to pay the guy and have this huge liability without knowing how healthy he is and if he can stand up to it. He'll have to prove himself which is why I think he'll go for an incentive based deal.
Ever heard of a guy by the name of Javon Walker?

Dr. Lecter
06-12-2008, 11:16 AM

True, but Al Davis is an idiot. And Bentley has no plays whatsoever for two seasons. It is even worse than Walker.

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 11:16 AM
A 6'7 Center? Good luck with that.

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 11:17 AM

An anomaly does not make a trend.

Dr. Lecter
06-12-2008, 11:17 AM
A 6'7 Center? Good luck with that.

No, Bentley would play center and Butler play RG.

And Fowler can play chess at the community center all day.

Dr. Lecter
06-12-2008, 11:19 AM
There is also the timing issue. Walker was avaialble at the start of FA, whereas Bentley is out there now after FA is basically done and after the draft.

It will be much more difficult for him to find a job.

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 11:21 AM
No, Bentley would play center and Butler play RG.

And Fowler can play chess at the community center all day.
Bentley has made it well known that he's not playing Center.

justasportsfan
06-12-2008, 11:21 AM
That's just it though. Neither GR8 nor I believe that he will come cheap. Why should he, after getting $16 Million from Cleveland? .
then forget it.

gr8slayer
06-12-2008, 11:24 AM
An anomaly does not make a trend.
Where do I get access to your dream world where NFL players think things through and want fair deals? Let me know and I'll let the Rams FO know too because they need some help right now as well.

Mr. Miyagi
06-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Bentley has made it well known that he's not playing Center.
Link?

If that's the case we don't need him. Otherwise I woulnd't mind giving him a one year deal.

mysticsoto
06-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Link?

If that's the case we don't need him. Otherwise I woulnd't mind giving him a one year deal.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports free agent OL LeCharles Bentley would prefer to play guard for his next team.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&line=117363

DraftBoy
06-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Where do I get access to your dream world where NFL players think things through and want fair deals? Let me know and I'll let the Rams FO know too because they need some help right now as well.

Its called reality and after taking Donnie Avery as the first WR off the board this April I am rather confident the Rams FO is not at all in touch with it.

Its a really good things though that players dont negotiate contracts but agents and gms do. If Im a player I can claim Im worth a billion dollars a year but Id be stupid to not sign a deal for anything less than that.

Bling
06-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't touch him.

Mitchy moo
06-12-2008, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't touch him.

Miami is in need of all the help they can get.

patmoran2006
06-12-2008, 02:15 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8230438/Browns-release-center-Bentley-after-request

LeCharles Bentley is a player who's talent is worth the risk. If they could sign him to an incentive laden deal, and he's able to stay healthy, what an upgrade over Melvin Fowler that would be.

Hell, if he can walk on one leg that makes him better than Preson in a depth role.

This guy was a beast with N.O. and I was all over the Bills signing him before he became a FA and the Browns snagged him up.

Do you guys think he's worth the risk? I sure do

raphael120
06-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Definitely worth the risk. Center is our weakest point and we've taken a flyer on Stroud, why not on Bentley? I wonder how much money he'll command.

Syderick
06-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Melvin Fowler is all right, he does his job, basically an average center

Mitchy moo
06-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Melvin Fowler is all right, he does his job, basically an average center

Serviceable players get your team a serviceable record. Personally, you upgrade at every position when the opportunity presents itself.

Syderick
06-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Serviceable players get your team a serviceable record. Personally, you upgrade at every position when the opportunity presents itself.

Ya, and I think they should take a look Charles. However, I bet right now they're busy with other stuff right now. Do you think Melvin Fowler is a little better then Trey Teague?

Mitchy moo
06-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Is anyone looking at this guy?

Slim
06-14-2008, 02:32 PM
If i were in the Buffalo front office I would have him at OBD today.

dannyek71
06-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Can we get any worse than Fowler?

Yes. Trey Teague.