PDA

View Full Version : We dont have enough room on the DLine!

Tatonka
04-21-2003, 12:25 AM
i see lots of mocks and fans saying that we will go DT and DE in this upcoming draft..

i just can't see it.. who are we going to cut to get them on the roster?

assuming we keep 9 DL like always..

the starters as of now are -
Jones
Adams
Williams
Schobel

none of them are getting cut..

then we have

denny - no way he gets cut in his second year after trading up to get him
edwards - another TD draft pick going into his third year that i cant see us cutting
bannan - another TD 5th round pick going into his second year.. no way
Mckenzie - we just brought him aboard for pass rushing help
Irons - he played very well in spot duty.. i would hate to see us let him go.

that is 9 right there.. maybe i could see either mckenzie or jones going if they dont heal completely or dont produce.. or possibly irons, but i think they like him, and look at him as a draft pick (actually a undrafted free agent)

i just dont see it. if anything.. i see us taking one guy who can play both.. TM mentioned in the recent press conference that Ty warren could play DE and DT.. also Peterson..

i just dont see it guys.. enlighten me.. how are we adding 2 guys to the DLine rotation?

Brian H
04-21-2003, 12:29 AM
I still think with Drew getting sacked 55 times (only second to rookie David Carr),our O Line should be priority.......

BillsMan80
04-21-2003, 12:32 AM
I don't considering the OL. Part of the problem was Drew. Sometimes he held the ball for an eternity.

SoCalBillsFan
04-21-2003, 12:38 AM
Tat, I've been saying this for awhile too. I dont see us going DL with our first pick unless TD sees someone he REALLY likes, and to be honest, i doubt that type of player will be there with pick 23.

SoCalBillsFan
04-21-2003, 12:39 AM
BM80, I think we have a lack of depth on the OL. I'd like to see us use a pick there if we can

BillsMan80
04-21-2003, 12:42 AM
No No, don't take my comment as what it sounded like. I would like more depth. It's just that I don't want us to spend a 1st or 2nd Rounder on an OL.

Romes
04-21-2003, 12:44 AM
Thats a good point Tatonka. The way I see it is we will be alright with no DL help, but...

However a guy like Irons, who is a fan favorite, people don't want to see get cut. But just because he showed a some flashes last year doesn't mean he will stay on, same goes with Bannan. An example of a guy that played well in limited time is Kendrick Office, the guy showed some flashes but he still got cut. If we draft a solid DT/DE they would replace Irons and/or Bannan (most likely). Our draft pick, assuming he is an early round pick, would have much more potential to start and have an impact on the team in the future than Irons/Bannan ever would.

What it boils down to is if we draft a DL it would display that the coaching staff or TD would like to improve at that position. Just because the roster seems full at that position now doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement.

Brian H
04-21-2003, 12:54 AM
But still BM80 55 is a huge number for a Pro Bowler......

Romes
04-21-2003, 12:57 AM
:hammer:

focus guys the question was about the DL not OL. :D

Brian H
04-21-2003, 01:01 AM
Im focusing on my opinion in which Im entitled to Romes.......

Brian H
04-21-2003, 01:02 AM
The title was DL but Im arguing OL is priority k Mr Mod?:nana:

Romes
04-21-2003, 01:09 AM
:calm:

whoa, there. I thought Tatonka brought up a valid point. Which was don't draft DL because we seem to have all those spots filled. It is a good topic. I was just trying to get this thread back to answering the question.

Ingtar33
04-21-2003, 01:41 AM
T nailed it...

You always have room for a blue chipper... but outside the first two rounds I don't see the Bills using many picks on DL. The only needs to be filled on the line that could be done with our picks is a blue-chip end to challenge for our LE, and DT depth. After that there is no need for a DLmen in this draft.

Romes
04-21-2003, 01:44 AM
In my rambling what I ment to say was what Ingtar said. ;)

Throne Logic
04-21-2003, 07:17 AM
Agreed, T. TD wouldn't draft a player on either OL or DL and expect them to be major contributors in the first year. Just doesn't happen like that. Bannan and Denney will get their fair shot to contribute. I think they will surprise some folks.

Tatonka
04-21-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Romes

However a guy like Irons, who is a fan favorite, people don't want to see get cut. But just because he showed a some flashes last year doesn't mean he will stay on, same goes with Bannan. An example of a guy that played well in limited time is Kendrick Office, the guy showed some flashes but he still got cut. If we draft a solid DT/DE they would replace Irons and/or Bannan (most likely). Our draft pick, assuming he is an early round pick, would have much more potential to start and have an impact on the team in the future than Irons/Bannan ever would.

i have to disagree with this...

while Irons may very well be cut, and is probably the number one option to cut, because of the fact that he was a udrafted FA.. there is ABSOLUTELY no way that they cut bannan or denny or even edwards. i will bet any amount of zone bucks that these three guys are on the roster when the season starter.. TD knows it may take some of the young guys a bit longer to come around, like denny.. and i think the bills are happy with the production that bannan showed last year as a rookie.. edwards didnt play that well, but i think that if he is a part timer, who just comes in for spurts, he may be effective.

the only guys i see as a possibility to cut are

jones - only for medical reasons, as td has put time and money into helping him rehab now.. only way he goes is if the docs say he cant play.

mckenzie - same thing as jones.. only for medical reasons or in the rare case that the guy just absolutely stinks it up in preseason

irons - such is life for an undersized tweener, who didnt get drafted. he is a fan favorite, and everyone on the team will tell you he spends more time in the weight room than anyone else, so he may even be making strides that we dont know about. i hope he makes the team.

IMHO... i think the bills draft ONE guy that can play both LDE and DT on passing situations. I guess maybe 2 could be taken if something crazy were to happen like we grab mcdougle were there in the first and warren was there in the second or something. then i guess you are just forced to make a decision..

what about this possibility..

could we actually keep 10 or 11 DL for the first time?? i mean, we are kind of light on LBs.. so maybe one less LB or list Irons as a LB? just a thought

Tatonka
04-21-2003, 08:19 AM
or if we drafted a guy like mathis, who plays FS and CB, couldnt he count as two spots? so we would have the need for one less FS or CB?

Romes
04-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka

i have to disagree with this...

while Irons may very well be cut, and is probably the number one option to cut, because of the fact that he was a udrafted FA.. there is ABSOLUTELY no way that they cut bannan or denny or even edwards. i will bet any amount of zone bucks that these three guys are on the roster when the season starter.. TD knows it may take some of the young guys a bit longer to come around, like denny.. and i think the bills are happy with the production that bannan showed last year as a rookie.. edwards didnt play that well, but i think that if he is a part timer, who just comes in for spurts, he may be effective.

the only guys i see as a possibility to cut are

jones - only for medical reasons, as td has put time and money into helping him rehab now.. only way he goes is if the docs say he cant play.

mckenzie - same thing as jones.. only for medical reasons or in the rare case that the guy just absolutely stinks it up in preseason

irons - such is life for an undersized tweener, who didnt get drafted. he is a fan favorite, and everyone on the team will tell you he spends more time in the weight room than anyone else, so he may even be making strides that we dont know about. i hope he makes the team.

IMHO... i think the bills draft ONE guy that can play both LDE and DT on passing situations. I guess maybe 2 could be taken if something crazy were to happen like we grab mcdougle were there in the first and warren was there in the second or something. then i guess you are just forced to make a decision..

what about this possibility..

could we actually keep 10 or 11 DL for the first time?? i mean, we are kind of light on LBs.. so maybe one less LB or list Irons as a LB? just a thought

The point I was trying to make was lets say a guy like William Joseph, or some other top notch DT fall to our pick what then?

Do you cut Irons and have a few be more stocked in DTs than DEs? Or do you cut our lowest end DT? (which i think would be Bannan)

You are right when you say there isn't much room numbers wise. But I still think there is room to improve depth.

With that said we either draft DL early if there is a great talent there. Or I could see us picking one up 6th/7th round just to push Bannan or Irons.

Brian H
04-21-2003, 02:13 PM
So I am the only one out of the thousand plus people here that say the O line should be priority?

The Spaz
04-21-2003, 02:18 PM
You can never have enough good football players at any position! Go Bills!

Brian H
04-21-2003, 02:20 PM
I think TD likes our D line and has faith in Irons's production.He is young and did get a sack of two last year which isn't bad for someone you can look at as a "developmental player".The first player cut will be Watson despite the CB help we need and the only reason why we need that help is cause were cutting Watson and we just need depth.

TD has to evaluate Bannan and Denney to see if there a prototype or a bust.I'm a big Denney fan and I think with the appropiate playing time he can progress and be a starter someday just hope its for Buffalo.As far as Jones TD would not have gambled on him if he didnt think he wouldnt be ready game 1 so he is healthy now and is a lock to start .

The Spaz
04-21-2003, 02:23 PM
Bannan and Denney don't have to be prtotyped they just hae to be true football players in that they can contribute. Go Bills!

Brian H
04-21-2003, 02:25 PM
They wouldnt be in the NFL if they werent "true football players" but then again there is Ryan Leaf...........

colin
04-21-2003, 07:40 PM
We might draft a straight thug who can play Center or Guard and challenge to start.

I do think our O line will be sick next year, having more time together and because they are so freaking young.

Tatonka
04-21-2003, 09:39 PM
colin, what does that have to do with the topic of the post?

Brian H
04-21-2003, 09:45 PM
T,back off fatso.He was arguing with my point thats all.....

Devin
04-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Honestly I think a line of

Schobel
Haynes
Williams
Adams

Could be one of the top in the NFL. Haynes is a beast. While I agree OL help is deffo needed. I dont think they will pass on Haynes if he is there.

Dozerdog
04-21-2003, 10:30 PM
Sam Adams is way to Fat and slow to play DE

Tatonka
04-21-2003, 10:36 PM
:lol:

Devin
04-22-2003, 12:25 AM
sry didnt mean to imply him as an end.....ahem.......

Haynes
Williams
Adams
Schobel

Brian H
04-22-2003, 12:32 AM
There just busting your chops D welcome to the zone!