• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Some interesting things at OBD!?

Anyone taken a look at the depth chart? Yes its not even training camp; but then its not even training camp. I mean, we could argue that they are making no statements but we also could argue that they are.

Consider this:

Leodis McKelvin- We draft Leodis McKelvin and he immediately becomes a number 2 on our chart but NOT behind our weakest CB (in my mind), but behind McGee. AND, he isnt even listed as a backup at RCB. Does that mean he is not even being consider to play RCB? So we drafted him in the 1st round to replace our best CB in McGee?

Alvin Bowen- a lower round LB is listed as our backup to Crowell, why is Ellison not the backup at both WLB and SLB? He certainly is our best option at both.

Duke Preston- The guy we drafted due tro his versatility is now SOLELY a backup C, not even listed at G.

Derek Schouman- This is the biggest suprise to me. Hes listed as our #2 TE even after we signed 2 free agent TE's including Courtney Anderson. Derek Fine, our 4th rounder is buried on our depth chart at the bottom.

Josh Reed- As of now, hes our #2 WR. Whats worse, James Hardy, is buried behind Jenkins and Mayle. Is it merely a move to give the guys that have been Bills longer a shot at the job? OK, I can see that. But your gonna tell me that we drafted Hardy in the 2nd to backup last years UFA's? Huh?

On the surface I would say what I normally say which is its June, you cant read squat into this. But, I found it at least a bit interesting as to what we are putting out there as our depth chart at this point.

• yordad
    • Dec 2007

Re: Some interesting things at OBD!?

I noticed the Bills seem to leave the younger guys as low as they can until time to play comes. I don't think it is anything to worry about. I would find it stranger if they were penciled in as the starter already.

But yeah, it is a little interesting.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Confused
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Jun 2007

I see hardy on the practice squad for most of the season. The bills reached and he isnt that talented. The bills need to add a small, elusive WR to be truly complete at that position. I read that Leodis played RB at one point in pop warner and the Bills may be considering switching him to RB after Marshawn is sentenced.

Comment

• Goobylal
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hoofhearted
        I see hardy on the practice squad for most of the season. The bills reached and he isnt that talented. The bills need to add a small, elusive WR to be truly complete at that position. I read that Leodis played RB at one point in pop warner and the Bills may be considering switching him to RB after Marshawn is sentenced.
        LOL!

Comment

• Buffalogic
          Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
          • Feb 2006

Lol relax man. Training camp hasn't even started. They could have 'Wagon Circler' on the depth chart in front of Hardy and it wouldn't mean a damn thing.

Comment

• Oaf
            Do you read what you write?
            • Jun 2007

I could really see them moving McGee to the slot to play against the likes of Welker while keeping Greer and McKelvin on the outside.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Oaf
              I could really see them moving McGee to the slot to play against the likes of Welker while keeping Greer and McKelvin on the outside.
              Two years ago, the Bills used K.Thomas on the outside with N.Clements and moved T.McGee inside to cover the slot receiver with some success in their nickle package during the second half of the season.

I would not be at all shocked if the Bills were to try to do something similar this season in their nickle package now that they have a bigger CB with "shutdown" capabilities, in McKelvin, to take the place of N.Clements on the outside. McGee, being quicker, is more suited to playing against smaller, quick slot receivers than Greer and, being more experienced, would be more capable of moving around in the defensive backfield. That being the case, there need not be that much concern about whether they are looking to break McKelvin in on the right side or the left side right now.

Like most teams, the Bills are probably going to bring McKelvin along as slowly as they can afford to, starting him out in their nickle package (which will see the field a lot) at the beginning of the season and giving him more playing time as the season progresses until he reaches the point where he can win and hold a position in the starting lineup. With NFL teams using three or more receivers more than half of the time, McKelvin, Greer and McGee will all see plenty of playing time this season.

As for the other rookies being "buried" on the depth chart, this is common practice. First of all, many NFL teams do not like to automatically hand out starting jobs to rookies (unless they really have lousy veterans and are officially rebuilding). Secondly, D.Jauron has made it clear that he believes not only in competition for roster spots, but that a roster spot has to be earned through competition. Third, the last couple of years the Bills have made a habit of initially placing their rookies at the bottom of the depth chart behind their veterans--at least at the beginning: if you recall, P.Posluzny began training camp as the # 2 MLB behind DiGiorgio, even though Digi had barely played in one game the previous season--M.Lynch started out behind A.Thomas initially as well--even though everyone knew that Poz and Lynch would end up being the starters going into the season (with Hardy it is far less clear that he will be the # 2 WR coming out of preseason at this point).

As has already been said, it is May and none of these things are set in stone or to be taken that seriously at this stage. Once the pads go on and the preseason games begin, they will start to sort themselves out naturally--and that is exactly the way that the coaches want things to go to avoid any problems in the lockerroom with the veteran players that they have and will need as key reserves down the line. So, just relax and enjoy the sunshine the next 6 weeks before TC begins....
              Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                • Sep 2003

roflmao!

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Wagon Circler 22
                  Lol relax man. Training camp hasn't even started. They could have 'Wagon Circler' on the depth chart in front of Hardy and it wouldn't mean a damn thing.
                  I'd be impressed.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

The June depth chart means absolutely nothing.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

lol June depth charts...

Im waiting for an OP rant on this depth chart.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• DrGraves
                        • Mar 2008

geez talk about reading into things way too much...

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          lol June depth charts...

Im waiting for an OP rant on this depth chart.
                          Maybe the fact that the depth chart was actually referenced will validate the post enough to meet his standards.

Not every comment has to be a 'Midol Moment'.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                          X