PDA

View Full Version : Is Buffalo a Hockey or a Football Town?

raphael120
06-14-2008, 10:50 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/bobdicesare/story/369034.html

Good article...I think whether or not this town is a hockey town first is how well the Bills start off the football season...Bills do good, it's a football town...they continue to dissapoint, many fans go back to the Sabres as their source of entertainment and hope.

Ebenezer
06-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Buffalo is a great football town. An above average hockey town (when the Sabres are winning they become a great hockey town). Attendance wish - A below average college sports town and a failure as a high school sports town.

OpIv37
06-14-2008, 12:00 PM
I honestly don't know how to answer this.

Bills fans are intense. However, in a lot of cities, hockey is an afterthought whereas it's a huge deal in Buffalo.

Buffalo's just a big sports town period.

Al the Bills Fan
06-14-2008, 12:10 PM
I love both teams! But there is nothing like Bills football on Sunday afternoon.

YardRat
06-14-2008, 12:20 PM
It isn't big enough to properly support both at the same time, that's for sure.

Last man standing gets the title and owns the town.

Michael82
06-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't think it's even close. Sure the fans are rabid and crazy when the Sabres are one of the best teams in the league...but don't you remember that year right after the strike? The team struggled at the box office until after the football season. Look at the two teams in general....even with the Bills not being in the playoffs for 8 straight years....they are still filling the stadium. I don't remember seeing the Sabres do that before the strike.

OpIv37
06-14-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't think it's even close. Sure the fans are rabid and crazy when the Sabres are one of the best teams in the league...but don't you remember that year right after the strike? The team struggled at the box office until after the football season. Look at the two teams in general....even with the Bills not being in the playoffs for 8 straight years....they are still filling the stadium. I don't remember seeing the Sabres do that before the strike.

well that argument goes both ways- In 06 when the Sabres were kicking ass, the Bills had trouble selling tix. We didn't even sell out the Fish game that year and those are usually the first tickets sold.

The fans in Buffalo love both teams, but I think YardRat's right- the town can only support one team at a time, and you can't blame fans for supporting whichever team is more exciting. It's a basic economic concept: getting a better return on your dollar.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I think Buffalo is still a football town.

The Bills haven't made the playoffs this decade, yet they have almost sold out all of their games by the middle of June. If that were the case with the Sabres, even if they put together a promising squad in the offseason, would the Sabres sell out half of their games months before the season?

There was a famous study that someone did a few years ago that showed that employees' productivity dropped significantly in Buffalo on the day after a loss by the Bills during the regular season. Can the same thing be said of the Sabres, even in the first round of the playoffs?

If the Sabres were to win the Stanley Cup, the city would go wild. But, if the Bills were to win the Super Bowl, IMHO the city would just explode.

There were times back in the early 1990s when I think that some people took the Bills' winning for granted. But, after this long drought and struggle to get back to respectability, I think that the football fans in Buffalo would appreciate the team more if it were to get to the level of excellence needed to win a Super Bowl.

Still, while I think that Buffalo is more of a football town than a hockey town, I also have to say that Buffalo is a terrific hockey town. I don't think that there are very many cities in the US that support their hockey team as much as Buffalo supports the Sabres.

It's easy to find cities that will support a hockey team that wins or is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. The real test of how well a city supports its hockey team comes when the team isn't quite that good--and it is at these times when I think Buffalo does a better job of supporting the Sabres than most American cities support their hockey teams.

I just don't think that the support and passion for the Sabres runs quite as deep or as broad in the community as it does for the Bills.

SabreEleven
06-14-2008, 01:10 PM
What happens the year the Bills win the Super Bowl followed by the Sabres winning the Cup? It's going to happen...

Michael82
06-14-2008, 01:19 PM

The Bills haven't made the playoffs this decade, yet they have almost sold out all of their games by the middle of June. If that were the case with the Sabres, even if they put together a promising squad in the offseason, would the Sabres sell out half of their games months before the season?

There was a famous study that someone did a few years ago that showed that employees' productivity dropped significantly in Buffalo on the day after a loss by the Bills during the regular season. Can the same thing be said of the Sabres, even in the first round of the playoffs?

If the Sabres were to win the Stanley Cup, the city would go wild. But, if the Bills were to win the Super Bowl, IMHO the city would just explode.

There were times back in the early 1990s when I think that some people took the Bills' winning for granted. But, after this long drought and struggle to get back to respectability, I think that the football fans in Buffalo would appreciate the team more if it were to get to the level of excellence needed to win a Super Bowl.

Still, while I think that Buffalo is more of a football town than a hockey town, I also have to say that Buffalo is a terrific hockey town. I don't think that there are very many cities in the US that support their hockey team as much as Buffalo supports the Sabres.

It's easy to find cities that will support a hockey team that wins or is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. The real test of how well a city supports its hockey team comes when the team isn't quite that good--and it is at these times when I think Buffalo does a better job of supporting the Sabres than most American cities support their hockey teams.

I just don't think that the support and passion for the Sabres runs quite as deep or as broad in the community as it does for the Bills.
Excellent post as always, LTBF! :bf1:

Jan Reimers
06-14-2008, 02:25 PM
It's a drinking town with a football problem.

PECKERWOOD
06-14-2008, 02:55 PM
I love the Bills way more than the Sabres for sure but I think if we were to look at Buffalo say 10 years from now we will be considered a hockey town first and foremost. Sadly, football doesn't look like it's here to stay in Buffalo, I have my doubts and if that happens, that only leaves hockey and if that does happen then I will force myself to get interested into hockey and the Sabres. It's just like that girlfriend that broke your heart way back, sometimes it's best to just move on and not look back. The Sabres are the future of Buffalo sports.

Michael82
06-14-2008, 02:58 PM
I love the Bills way more than the Sabres for sure but I think if we were to look at Buffalo say 10 years from now we will be considered a hockey town first and foremost. Sadly, football doesn't look like it's here to stay in Buffalo, I have my doubts and if that happens, that only leaves hockey and if that does happen then I will force myself to get interested into hockey and the Sabres. It's just like that girlfriend that broke your heart way back, sometimes it's best to just move on and not look back. The Sabres are the future of Buffalo sports.
Good point, if we ever do lose the Bills, Buffalo would DEFINITELY become the new Hockeytown USA! Everyone who has ever rooted for the Sabres will spend their money on them and thats all the fans will talk about, as the Buffalo fans will turn their back to the NFL completely.

The Spaz
06-14-2008, 03:22 PM
It's both.

gr8slayer
06-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Nothing can touch the NFL.

YardRat
06-14-2008, 09:11 PM

Nationally, you're right. Locally, piss-poor business decisions made by the league, or individual owners, and bad economics can knock it for a loop.

LABillsFan
06-14-2008, 11:22 PM
The city belongs to the team that is doing better in any given year.

Historian
06-15-2008, 07:02 AM
a failure as a high school sports town.

Why Eb?

Historian
06-15-2008, 07:14 AM

I agree, and I believe there is a reason for that: The 1950's.

After the AAFC folded, Buffalo was shut out of the NFL, despite being one of the bigger gate draws in that league. (Bigger than Baltimore, and they got admitted into the NFL) Since then, there has been a reverence for the Bills, and a genuine appreciation for whatever league they have been in...which continues until this day.

There were times back in the early 1990s when I think that some people took the Bills' winning for granted.

Almost difficult to believe that was a generation ago. A few weeks back, my 11 year old asked me...Dad, were the Bills ever in a Super Bowl? (Honey do I have some videos for you to watch!)

Think about this: A child born on January 27, 1991 (SB XXV) is now a 17 year old Senior in High School!

Oye vey!

Absolutely! Which is why I hate hearing fans rip on Gary Bettman. He's the reason we still have the Sabres. He sees Buffalo as a very viable hockey market, which it is.

DMBcrew36
06-15-2008, 10:09 AM
RIGHT NOW, it's a hockeytown. Period. It changes, though.

And I really don't know how people who don't live here can really comment. If you aren't here, on the streets, talking to people around town everyday, then you don't really know.

PECKERWOOD
06-15-2008, 02:06 PM

Totally wrong. The fact that the NFL is looking to go international is a very scary thought.. What happens to all the small market teams? The Green Bay Packers get moved to Japan making them the Japanese Packers, the Bills move to Toronto and Montreal gets an expansion team called the Montreal Steaks and the Bengals relocate to Alcatraz.

The Jokeman
06-15-2008, 05:38 PM
If speaking regarding fan base it's football first. Yet to be honest I think we're a front runner city. I know it sounds mean but let's face it we root for who's winning or the thought of winning. Yet if talking about what type of city we are in terms of continued success I think hockey be the best way to go. As to me football is slowly but surely becoming what baseball is which is a city of haves and have nots. As look no further then the consistant success of teams like the Cowboys and Patriots. While there are room for teams like the Packers and Bills to play in the league and contend every so often not sure continue success will continue. So we better hope something happens in the next year or two or at most three that think we have.

Night Train
06-15-2008, 06:50 PM
It's a Lacrosse town !

I only front run with winners !

Cntrygal
06-16-2008, 08:12 AM
If I had to guess.... I would say football. My logic (which may not apply) was that my hometown area (a couple hours away), was straight up football. I can't remember anyone really talking about hockey when I was a kid.

Michael82
06-16-2008, 08:29 AM
RIGHT NOW, it's a hockeytown. Period. It changes, though.

And I really don't know how people who don't live here can really comment. If you aren't here, on the streets, talking to people around town everyday, then you don't really know.
Right Now? Sorry, it's not hockey town. It's all about the Bills. Last year it was hockey town, until the idiots running the front office decided to get rid of their 3 stars. Now that they didn't even make the playoffs, the fans are already throwing their money at the Bills which makes me believe that it's a football town right now.

BillyT92679
06-16-2008, 09:26 AM
I think, just looking at it scientifically, it's a football town. From a demographics standpoint, the Sabres get their popularity from the upmarket suburbs of Erie County. The Bills are universally popular in the entire Metro Area, WNY region, much of CNY, Southern Ontario, and Toronto. Here, specifically in Buffalo Niagara, the Bills are much more of a draw across demographic groups. Hockey is still a white folk's game, while football draws all races. I don't see a lot of Sabres flags in the east side or west side of the city.

DMBcrew36
06-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Right Now? Sorry, it's not hockey town. It's all about the Bills. Last year it was hockey town, until the idiots running the front office decided to get rid of their 3 stars. Now that they didn't even make the playoffs, the fans are already throwing their money at the Bills which makes me believe that it's a football town right now.
got rid of their three stars? They only got rid of one. The other two walked.

And all about the Bills? Not quite, just as it was never ALWAYS about the Sabres these past two or three years.

The only reason people are buying up all the tickets is because the front office has made some good moves, there is one less game, and serious concern for the teams future.

Novacane
06-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Football first and it's not close.

Michael82
06-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Football first and it's not close.
agreed.

DrGraves
06-17-2008, 10:21 AM
depends who is winning, two seasons ago everyone and their grandma was wearing sabres jerseys 24/7 then this year the team struggles and you see no support.

circlethewagons
06-17-2008, 10:58 AM
It's a fair-weather town

THATHURMANATOR
06-17-2008, 11:01 AM
It is a football town without question.

THATHURMANATOR
06-17-2008, 11:01 AM
It's a fair-weather town
You're a fairweather town.

raphael120
06-17-2008, 11:38 AM
If speaking regarding fan base it's football first. Yet to be honest I think we're a front runner city. I know it sounds mean but let's face it we root for who's winning or the thought of winning. Yet if talking about what type of city we are in terms of continued success I think hockey be the best way to go. As to me football is slowly but surely becoming what baseball is which is a city of haves and have nots. As look no further then the consistant success of teams like the Cowboys and Patriots. While there are room for teams like the Packers and Bills to play in the league and contend every so often not sure continue success will continue. So we better hope something happens in the next year or two or at most three that think we have.

Totally right, man. How many "Let's Go Sabres!!!" chants have you heard after a Bills loss? Ive heard it a lot. Then again...there is no "Lets Go Bills" chants to chant after a Sabres loss...but more people jump onto the Sabres wagon than vice versa...I think it's because the Sabres, as of recent, have been the more reliable team to show us some wins, therefore is the safer bet if you want to look for a winner in this town. The Bills have been so mediocre the past decade not many people expect much out of them, but I think MUCH more is expected from the Sabres.

THATHURMANATOR
06-17-2008, 11:56 AM
All cities are frontrunner towns. Why wouldn't there be more buzz for the winning teams.