PDA

View Full Version : Exaggeration, delusion are the norm leading up to the draft

Gunzlingr
04-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Lies, lies, lies! It's all about lies this time of the year in the NFL. OK, maybe not lies, but definitely tall tales.

Who can put up the best smokescreen in this era of digital, round-the-clock media coverage, where a reporter or TV camera crew is around nearly every corner, looking for any insight whatsoever into draft strategy?

So I beg you, don't get fooled by all the mirages.

Miami (Fla.) RB Willis McGahee says he'll be ready for action in 2003 and that any team passing on him would be making a mistake. He believes his knee will be fully healed and shouldn't slow him down. You'll recall that McGahee tore three ligaments in the knee in the Fiesta Bowl in January. McGahee is ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation process, but let's be realistic here.

Consider, if you will, Colts RB Edgerrin James' situation a year ago. James tore a ligament in his knee in November 2001 and missed the rest of the season. After a fierce offseason rehabilitation, James was ready to roll again in 2002. But look at how subpar James was the past season. Yes, I understand that other injuries nagged him through the season, but is it possible that knee pain or discomfort forced him to shift the way he ran, putting more pressure on other parts of his legs? I'm no doctor, but I don't think that's out of the question. I sprained my ankle once and nearly sprained the other one later because I'd shifted most of my weight to the healthy leg.

At any rate, McGahee is not lying. He's just exaggerating a tad, trying to boost his stock in the draft. Of course, you can't blame him. That's what I would do as well. Plus, showing the amount of confidence he has helps him a lot.

more (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2003/hanacek041603.htm)