PDA

View Full Version : here's a surprise....woman may sue Lynch

shelby
06-15-2008, 08:42 AM
The woman who was struck down by Marshawn Lynch’s Porsche SUV last month has hired two top personal injury attorneys to represent her in a possible lawsuit against the Buffalo Bills running back.
And one of the attorneys, Timothy G. O’Connell of Buffalo, said the injuries Kimberley Shpeley suffered are worse than have been characterized by police and other public officials.
“It’s not as minor as it has been reported,” O’Connell told The Buffalo News. “She’s under the active care of several different physicians for injuries to several different parts of her body. She’s still under medical care.”
O’Connell declined to give any more specifics about his client’s injuries, and he said no decision has been made on whether Shpeley will file a lawsuit against Lynch.
But the attorney noted that, under New York State law, the owner of a motor vehicle can be held liable for damages or injuries caused by the vehicle, even if someone else — other than a thief — is driving the vehicle.
“We have begun conducting our own investigation into this incident,” O’Connell said. “Quite clearly, things are not going well in the police investigation.”
O’Connell said Shpeley is single, employed and “a very sweet person” who does not follow professional football.
“She never heard of Marshawn Lynch before this incident, and in fact, she had no idea who he was until she started hearing about him in the news media,” O’Connell said.

full story (http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buffaloerie/story/370534.html)

Cntrygal
06-15-2008, 08:47 AM
I'd hire someone to follow her around to make sure that she wasn't lifting bags of groceries, kickboxing....

Jan Reimers
06-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Lawyers are great, aren't they? She now has injuries far more serious than a couple of bruises and a few stitches, and she is a nearly perfect person. Must have been on Chippewa at 3:30 AM looking for the Christian Science Reading Room.

And of course she had no idea who Marshawn was.

BAM
06-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Every time I hear or read anything written or spoken by an attorney I feel much better about myself. I know not all are like that but I belive a prerequisite for becoming an attorney, especially the personal injury type, is being full of crap.

Jan Reimers
06-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Every time I hear or read anything written or spoken by an attorney I feel much better about myself.
I'm a consultant, and they make my profession look good. Most personal injury lawyers rank lower than used car salesmen on the Scum Scale.

Cntrygal
06-15-2008, 09:08 AM
She's regretting having gotten up and walked to the ambulance under her own power.

Jan Reimers
06-15-2008, 09:29 AM
She's regretting having gotten up and walked to the ambulance under her own power.
She must not have realized that she had serious neurological problems and would probably require spinal fusion and brain surgery.

Goobylal
06-15-2008, 09:50 AM
She's well within her rights to try and cash-in here. She was hit by a car and deserves compensation at least for the trauma of what happened. As for the extent of her injuries, given that she walked to the ambulance and was treated and released, it will be hard to prove that she suffered serious ones.

Jan Reimers
06-15-2008, 09:54 AM
She certainly deserves compensation, as well as our concern. The funny thing, though, is hearing her lawyer's stereotypical posturing and pronouncements.

DMBcrew36
06-15-2008, 09:59 AM
This is why Marshawn's lawyer instructed Marshawn to keep his mouth shut from the start. Marshawn was probably driving and if he admits he was driving - jackpot for the woman. He keeps his mouth shut and hopefully can hold on to his cash.

mybills
06-15-2008, 10:02 AM
I'd hire someone to follow her around to make sure that she wasn't lifting bags of groceries, kickboxing....
I wonder if she has a job and went to work on her next scheduled day. That'll help her case. :;

Goobylal
06-15-2008, 10:03 AM
She certainly deserves compensation, as well as our concern. The funny thing, though, is hearing her lawyer's stereotypical posturing and pronouncements.
That's no surprise to me. I knew that would be coming. But unfortunately for her, she didn't play it right. But she'll still get some decent coin.

Goobylal
06-15-2008, 10:05 AM
I wonder if she has a job and went to work on her next scheduled day. That'll help her case. :;
Lynch's defense attorney(s) will uncover it, if it happened. If they were smart, they would have hired a PI to follow her soon after the accident to see just how impaired she was, rather than waiting for the lawsuit and her starting to act impaired.

mybills
06-15-2008, 10:08 AM
People sue too easily these days. If you don't have health ins, you missed work or school, and or are permanently ruined, then sue. Otherwise, just go through auto ins and don't pay the lawyer for doing what you can do yourself. I don't believe there's been "no decision made"..she has a lawyer, she is going to sue.

Goobylal
06-15-2008, 10:14 AM
People sue too easily these days. If you don't have health ins, you missed work or school, and or are permanently ruined, then sue. Otherwise, just go through auto ins and don't pay the lawyer for doing what you can do yourself. I don't believe there's been "no decision made"..she has a lawyer, she is going to sue.
I don't agree. The bottom line is she was hit, suffered injury (although minor), and that's traumatic. She deserves something for that alone.

Nighthawk
06-15-2008, 10:14 AM
As soon as she found out it was Mar$hawn Lynch...her eyes became filled with $$$$$$...and that is the truth.

gr8slayer
06-15-2008, 10:15 AM
As long as he doesn't get suspended I could care less.

Historian
06-15-2008, 10:21 AM
I don't agree. The bottom line is she was hit, suffered injury (although minor), and that's traumatic. She deserves something for that alone.

I agree.

And there isn't one person on this board who wouldn't do the same exact thing had they been in that position.

Any posts to the contrary are blatant lies, and message board bravado.

:down:

Bill Brasky
06-15-2008, 10:26 AM
big oil and lawsuits reign supreme at the heart of american greed!
what a great country

SABuffalo786
06-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Normally I'd say yeah go for it but this fatty pig fatty probably squealed with delight when she found this guy's an NFL player.

If she does go ahead with it it better only be for enough to cover hospital bills. Anything more and she's opportunistic scum.

Jan Reimers
06-15-2008, 10:35 AM
I agree.

And there isn't one person on this board who wouldn't do the same exact thing had they been in that position.

I'd like to think that if Marshawn had stopped, apologized and shown some concern, talked to the police, and generally conducted himself like a man, at least some of us would not have sued.

It's his driving away, hiding behind his lawyer, and showing absolutely no contrition for what he had done, that would have pissed me off and prompted a lawsuit.

mybills
06-15-2008, 10:38 AM
The insurance company offers pain & suffering monies along with paid medical bills.
She's got an attorney to get her even more money.

SABuffalo786
06-15-2008, 10:44 AM
I'd like to think that if Marshawn had stopped, apologized and shown some concern, talked to the police, and generally conducted himself like a man, at least some of us would not have sued.

It's his driving away, hiding behind his lawyer, and showing absolutely no contrition for what he had done, that would have pissed me off and prompted a lawsuit.

What if he didn't even knew he hit her?

feelthepain
06-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Lawyers are great, aren't they? She now has injuries far more serious than a couple of bruises and a few stitches, and she is a nearly perfect person. Must have been on Chippewa at 3:30 AM looking for the Christian Science Reading Room.

And of course she had no idea who Marshawn was.

Yeah and I suppose had Lynch hit you with a car, you'd want to pay him for the damage to his car and apologze for being in his way? After all he's a Bill, he couldn't possibly be a fault for anything. Again we still don't even know if Lynch was driving, but it was his vehicle and you're attacking the victim for using the right's they have? Lynch can be evasive and uncooperative and it's the victim that's the problem? Wow, I guess if he rapes a woman it will be the womans fault too, right, anybody but Lynch.

LtFinFan66
06-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Had he stopped at the time, it may have saved his wallet some pain. If he did it of course

Mitchy moo
06-15-2008, 11:15 AM
We need a disease that just kills lawyers.

TedMock
06-15-2008, 11:16 AM
I agree.

It depends. I think you're placing a blanket statement out there that's not necessarily true. I was in a car accident. It was the fault of the other driver. My neck was stiff for weeks. She was a kid and it was an accident. I didn't sue her or her insurance over it as there was no damage to my car. My neck was jarred and stiff the next day and for a few weeks after that, but I was fine otherwise. I didn't go around acting like it was much worse than it was. That would make me the scumbag if I did that.

This girl deserves to have her medical bills covered and some extra for the trauma and inconvenience, but there is no way on this earth that she deserves seven figures which is what I'm guessing she'll try for. I obviously don't know that for certain at this point. I hope that this is all resolved properly by all parties. If Marshawn knowingly or unknowingly hit her and sped off, he needs to pay according to sanctions guidelines and he should absolutely cover her medical bills. After that it will all depend on the specific circumstances of the case.

TedMock
06-15-2008, 11:20 AM
What if he didn't even knew he hit her?

That's what I'm guessing is going to come out this entire thing. Considering all the external circumstances of that evening and the assumption that the stereo was very loud with base (every young guy that drives by me has loud base, so I'm standing by that assumption!), it wouldn't shock me at all. I really hope that is the case. I'll be hugely disappointed in this mistake otherwise.

Goobylal
06-15-2008, 12:22 PM
It would have made NO difference had Lynch stopped at the scene, or even if he apologized soon after. Had he been drunk and stopped, it would be much worse. Once it got out that it was Lynch, the vultures descended and would have been able to talk ANYONE into suing. It's easy money for them, which as I said, is partly due to her for pain and suffering.

mybills
06-15-2008, 12:33 PM
I've been rear ended, broadsided, etc. with some injuries and didn't sue. I went through the insurance co. They covered it.

Another time I smashed my knee so bad I was out of work for a month. Lost wages, the inconvenience of having people drive me everywhere because I couldn't bend my leg to drive myself, all of the therapy I had to endure from only having 20% use of my leg and neck, blah, blah..were all good reasons to get a lawyer. They still didn't award much money over and above my medical bills. I can only assume that if this woman got up all by herself and walked, she can't possibly be out of commission like I was. I fell out of the car because my leg didn't work, and I still didn't get much $, but it's more than what the ins co offered. :idunno:

The Spaz
06-15-2008, 12:33 PM
partly due to her for pain and suffering

So much so that the hospital released her.

patmoran2006
06-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Normally I'd say yeah go for it but this fatty pig fatty probably squealed with delight when she found this guy's an NFL player.

If she does go ahead with it it better only be for enough to cover hospital bills. Anything more and she's opportunistic scum.
Are you kidding me??

ddaryl
06-15-2008, 01:13 PM
The insurance company offers pain & suffering monies along with paid medical bills.
She's got an attorney to get her even more money.

and she deserves it too. I would have done the same exact thing if I found out who it was that hit me and left me for dead. If they prove who was behind the wheel there will be a sizeable lawsuit. Next time Lynch or whomever was driving will be smart enough to take a cab or hire a driver.

Even if the driver didn't know he hit someone there where 3 others in the car. I seriously doubt nobody knew thisl lady was hit.

Bottom line is, someone was hit by Lynch's vehicle, and that person and the people in the vehicle left the scene. Nothing else matters in the argument. it doesn't matter if they knew or not, the action was done and there will be consequences regardless, and rightfully so.

she had stitches and bruises... I don't know about you but everytime I had stitches it was an inconvienece, and there was pain involved.

This whole incident is unfortunate but there is only one person to blame, and that is the person driving the vehicle. If it is Lynch, and my money says it was him, then you can bet the leaving the scene will generate a nivce chunk of change in a lawsuit, and again... rightfully so.

Fact is if someone hit me, left me on the ground with a cut and bruises, and just drove away, and I later found out who it was I'd sue that person and get every penny I could from such a person.

Whoever was drivnig Lynch's vehicle is responsible for this person, all of her hospital costs, money from lost wages, money for having to spend time in a hospital, going to the doctors etc... and money for just being inconvieneced.

I know we have our differences but if this is all your concerned about you're one majorily ****ed up dude. If he did this, and he drove off, I hope the NFL treats him like the other ****ups in the league. It's too bad for Bills fans, but I would be sick to my stomach watching Lynch play (if he did this) for us and getting away with this.

Football doesn't mean jack ****. A person was invlved in a HIT AND RUN, and the driver was probably under the influence of Alcohol at the time, and all you care about is that he doesn't get suspended... that is a seriously ****ed up sense of values you have.

SABuffalo786
06-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Are you kidding me??

No.

I think frivolous/over the top lawsuits are bad and that this woman is probably going to unfairly try to exploit this accident.

You feel different?

Goobylal
06-15-2008, 01:30 PM
I meant mental anguish. It's a traumatic experience. Thankfully she wasn't seriously injured and her award for physical injuries shouldn't be that great, but she deserves something for getting hit.

Mitchy moo
06-15-2008, 02:04 PM
In this instance, ML owns a car that hit someone regardless if he is the driver or not. The car is his and anything that happens while the car is being driven his responsibility as well.

Personally speaking, If I got struck by a SUV and they took off without stopping to see how I was, I would feel very little loyalty to them. She owes ML nothing and / or the person that was driving the SUV at the time, they left her after hitting her so F-them is how I would look at it. There is no way to justify getting hit by someone and saying oh it's him, well that's OK they can hit me with a car anytime, so please spare me.

I actually think ML is very lucky that his SUV didn't kill that lady because we then would of had our RB in Jail, as of right now he is just in trouble with money to pay and his freedom nearly assured. All in all, he's real lucky as of right now.

TacklingDummy
06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Lynch deserves to pay. Dumb bastard.

HHURRICANE
06-15-2008, 08:57 PM
full story (http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buffaloerie/story/370534.html)

I'm not sure how NY works but there are some caps on these things and he should have good insurance so he won't pay a penny other than higher premiums.

don137
06-15-2008, 09:01 PM
It drives me crazy to see such greedy people out there in the world that think if they were hurt they need to cash in big time. It is so typical of the mentality of people today that want to cash in on anything bad that happens to them.
I was in a head on collison about ten years ago when some lady turned left in front of me at an intersection and crashed into the car I was in.
I was taken by ambulance to the hospital for injuries but I never once thought of suing this person. If she did something illegal let the law take care of it but this mentality of "this is my meal ticket because someone with money injured me" is the reason why there is so much greed and selfishness in society today.
I am very opposed to what Marshawn did but the fact that this person tries to cash in on it makes me think she is not much better than him.

Romes
06-15-2008, 09:14 PM
It drives me crazy to see such greedy people out there in the world that think if they were hurt they need to cash in big time. It is so typical of the mentality of people today that want to cash in on anything bad that happens to them.
I was in a head on collison about ten years ago when some lady turned left in front of me at an intersection and crashed into the car I was in.
I was taken by ambulance to the hospital for injuries but I never once thought of suing this person. If she did something illegal let the law take care of it but this mentality of "this is my meal ticket because someone with money injured me" is the reason why there is so much greed and selfishness in society today.
I am very opposed to what Marshawn did but the fact that this person tries to cash in on it makes me think she is not much better than him.

Good for you.

When I was in high school my mom rear ended a woman who had abruptly stopped on a freeway on ramp and my mom was not able to stop in time. She literaly just bumped her.

Well, in California if you rear end someone its always the driver who is behind's fault. Anyway there was slight damage to the woman's back bumper a dent and some scratches and the insurance paid to replace the bumper. The story should have ended there... except three years later this woman sues my mom for her back and neck problems that she has been having for "years."

Cause my Mom is stubborn she wouldn't settle. It came out in the suit that the woman was friend's with a doctor who would write up fake prescriptions and this woman had a habit of stopping on freeway on ramps to intentially get hit she had sued something like 6 people all for the same injuries but all those people before has settled the cases. We had lost quite a bit of money on lawyer fees and it would have been cheaper to settle...disgusting system if you ask me.

Sorry for the tangent and I obviously don't know this girl that got hit but people who try to extort money using lawyers really makes me sick.

YardRat
06-15-2008, 09:38 PM

Pain and suffering is directly proportionate to the size of the wallet of the accused.

Even non-lawyers know that.

Luisito23
06-15-2008, 11:42 PM

No doubt!....It's not like it's my money right JediJerryJones......:beers:

Historian
06-16-2008, 04:41 AM
I was in a car accident. .

This wasn't a car accident.

It was a hit and run of a pedestrian.

Dujek
06-16-2008, 06:48 AM
In this case the woman is due some compensation. She had right of way, she was hit by a car that drove off.

Now we can all argue about how much compensation she deserves, who is liable for what and whether she's a gold-digger who's going after more money because of who was driving the car, but you can't really claim to be surprised by the fact that a hit and run victim is seeking damages from the driver, can you?

TedMock
06-16-2008, 07:11 AM
This wasn't a car accident.

It was a hit and run of a pedestrian.

Right. I understood that, but it's not relevant to the point I was making. My point was that I was the victim since the other driver was at fault. The specifics were obviously different from what this girl in the Lynch incident faced, but the fact that both of us could have filed a suit for minor injuries is the same. I could have very easily gone to the doctor because of the pain and sued over the incident. Don't get me wrong. I think she should be compensated for the incident. My problem is with the greed that often comes out of things like this. She may not get that way, but we've all seen unfortunate victims turn into very fortunate victims. I was going more with the idea of how the personal injury attorney works than with the incident at hand in my original response.

gr8slayer
06-16-2008, 09:22 AM
No doubt!....It's not like it's my money right JediJerryJones......:beers:
That's actually a completely different person....

Meathead
06-16-2008, 01:43 PM
some truly grotesquely pathetic responses here

a woman gets hit and injured by a ***king car, by a driver that fled the scene, and now shes some kind of villain for considering a lawsuit

man this is one ***ked up world sometimes

dannyek71
06-16-2008, 01:44 PM
The woman was the victim, but I do find it odd how people's injuries are ALWAYS way worse that initially reported. Yes, she should get something out of this, but if she goes after 6 figures for pain and suffering she had better be pretty hurt.

EDS
06-16-2008, 01:54 PM
We need a disease that just kills lawyers.

Does this disease affect corporate attorneys or just personal injury attorneys?

justasportsfan
06-16-2008, 02:01 PM
I hope that whoever is at fault will pay dearly regardless of the extent of her injury.

Act like an idiot , you deserve to have a piece of your fortune taken away from you.

It doesn't take a genius to know that people want a piece of your millions.

mybills
06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
people sue regardless of your fame or non-fame status. I don't think anyone is denying that she deserves something, and he deserves to pay. But why can't she settle through the insurance company. I'm sure she has that info from the police. His premiums would go up, if not dropped entirely with a big red x next to his name, making him suffer trying to find someone who will insure him again. And getting a lawyer, while saying you haven't decided to sue yet, is just unbelievable to me.

mybills
06-16-2008, 03:03 PM
But -
If she lost time out of work and/or her injuries need therapy..she should sue.

Ickybaluky
06-16-2008, 03:19 PM
people sue regardless of your fame or non-fame status. I don't think anyone is denying that she deserves something, and he deserves to pay. But why can't she settle through the insurance company. I'm sure she has that info from the police. His premiums would go up, if not dropped entirely with a big red x next to his name, making him suffer trying to find someone who will insure him again. And getting a lawyer, while saying you haven't decided to sue yet, is just unbelievable to me.

You think the insurance coverage is going to cover him? A hit-and-run is an illegal act, they aren't paying for anything.

gr8slayer
06-16-2008, 05:09 PM
some truly grotesquely pathetic responses here

a woman gets hit and injured by a ***king car, by a driver that fled the scene, and now shes some kind of villain for considering a lawsuit

man this is one ***ked up world sometimes
It's not my problem; I just care about him playing well on Sundays.

OpIv37
06-16-2008, 05:16 PM

LLLLLLLINGER LONGER!!!!!!!

yordad
06-16-2008, 05:41 PM
I know a guy that got hit by Joe Schmoe while on a bike. The guy fly about 30 feet from the road, landed in a field, had a bone pop out of his leg, and a portion of his muscle FALL OFF, and he was never the same again.

Joe Schmoe was forced by the court to pay $14,000.

So, why does this lady deserve more again? Because it was Lynch and not Schmoe?

If anyone believes she has to see a shrink now, and has lingering medical issues, and missed work, then I have some some sweet marsh land for sale. The friggin lady walked away and had like seven stitches. If she was badly injured, they wouldn't have ALLOWED her to walk.

I eat seven stitches for breakfast, LOL.

mybills
06-16-2008, 05:50 PM
You think the insurance coverage is going to cover him? A hit-and-run is an illegal act, they aren't paying for anything.
If the vehicle is insured, (not him) it covers the person that was hit, regardless of the driver's stupidity. It also sounds like a hit & run after the fact, according to police & the AG. I'm not sure you can be charged to the same extent, but the insurance will cover her expenses.

Mudflap1
06-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Out of court settlement, then this issue will die off...

X-Era
06-16-2008, 06:05 PM

Hopefully she called "the hammer".

Wait, she wants to get money from a rich guy? What a surprise.

Whether he gets a criminal slap on the wrist or not, he will pay heavy one way or another.

gr8slayer
06-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Out of court settlement, then this issue will die off...
Yup, that's how most lawsuits in this country end.

Novacane
06-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Good. The dumbass deserves to be sued

OpIv37
06-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Good. The dumbass deserves to be sued

I agree, but to a point. The woman got hurt- she deserves to be compensated for any medical bills and any missed work and a little extra just for the general hassle of the whole thing.

But that's not what will happen. She's already claiming "emotional distress." Give me a ****ing break- she got knocked on her ass and walked to the ambulance. Suck it up. We've all been knocked on our asses at some point or another- granted, most of us haven't been knocked on our asses by a moving vehicle (my friend's mom partially ran over my foot with a car when I was a kid though- fortunately she backed up so I didn't get hurt- guess I should have sued for "emotional distress").

Her money-grubbing lawyers are already searching for their excuse because they know Marshawn has deep pockets. The woman claims she didn't know it was Marshawn, which is very possible- but she did know it was a Porsche and those things cost between $55k and $120k. She's not looking for compensation- she's looking for a meal ticket. And with this ridiculous civil court system, she'll probably get it.

sba
06-16-2008, 10:36 PM
she's looking for a meal ticket.

uh oh...Marshawn might need an extension

Al the Bills Fan
06-17-2008, 12:32 AM
I think Ray Charles could see this one comin

mikemac2001
06-17-2008, 03:06 PM
I agree.

If marshawn hit me id just be like can i be in your posse

Play madden, party go to games...id be cool with that

Ingtar33
06-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Every time I hear or read anything written or spoken by an attorney I feel much better about myself. I know not all are like that but I belive a prerequisite for becoming an attorney, especially the personal injury type, is being full of crap.

lol... then i better not tell you all, that before i was pulled into the coaching ranks, i was considering going to law school (i ended up getting post grad degrees, while coaching, but not in law).

Captain gameboy
06-18-2008, 07:43 AM
I don't know if this is helpful, but I just got through one of these things.
My son was hit by the Fire Commissioner of a municipality. The Fire Commish was not doirng anything job related, ie., responding to a fire. He was driving to the fire station.
Between the police and the ambulance people, they advised my son to go home and take aspirin for the abdominal pain he was experiencing.
The Fire guy never said a single word to him or asked how he was.

He collapsed that evening in the er from significant internal bleeding, spent three days in intensive care, and five in the hospital.

Anyway, I called the municipality weeks later asking how they intended to remedy the situation. They told me they would get to it when they got to it, and said they had absolutely no idea, ten seconds or ten years, how long this would take them.
I told them that I was a reasonable guy and sought a reasonable solution, but that "well get to you when we feel like it," was not a satisfactory response.

She said that if I didn't like it, I should sue the city.

Anyway, I told her that I could not understand her response because if I am forced to use an attorney and sue, it was going to cost the city significantly more.

She said go ahead and do it.

So...we got a normal attorney, (not an 800 number injury clown), and sued.
What I found out is that there is a basic formulaic amount that comes out of this, and it is generally three times the costs to the victim, with maybe a little bit for other things.
Whoever gets sued in this should expect to pay about that. In other words, there aint no big payday in this thing, unless they get to a whacky jury.