X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acehole
    • Jan 2006

Great story on our Offense.

Looking to get more creative and explosive on offense, the Bills have adopted some of the philosophies made famous by Sam Wyche in the 1980s and '90s, writes John Clayton.

One of my biggest complaints was Fairchild predictability.

This sounds (On paper) very different then what we were running.

Made the point I made of exclusive short routes and there danger.

Glad to hear out of the OC mouth that it wont be.

I like the way they will use parish and reed...natural for them.

Bills turning back the clock to improve offense

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- While former Bengals and Bucs head coach Sam Wyche won the Pickens County (S.C.) Republican bid for a county council seat Tuesday, his football legacy lived on in western New York.

As I watched Tuesday's Bills minicamp practice, something didn't look right. A year ago, the Bills ran an offense designed by Steve Fairchild, who learned the Mike Martz system during his stay in St. Louis. The Martz system, which goes all the way back to the Air Coryell days of Don Coryell in San Diego, aggressively sends receivers into routes and stresses the run after the catch.

Tuesday, the motions of the receivers and the formations of the Bills weren't the same. As I racked my brain, I realized the difference. The Bills' offense had the look of a Wyche offense in the 1980s and '90s, only updated with the three-receiver and two-tight end sets of this decade.

Edited: Entire articles can not be posted. Please just post a small segment of it along with the link. Thank you. ~CG
    Last edited by Cntrygal; 06-16-2008, 09:00 AM. Reason: please don't post entire articles
    Hated by the stupid..
    Loved by their moms.

• Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Great story on our Offense.

It's way early, but from what I've heard Schonert say, and what I've read about the OTAs and minicamp, it sounds like our offense is going to be much more diverse than Fairchild's.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• acehole
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      It's way early, but from what I've heard Schonert say, and what I've read about the OTAs and minicamp, it sounds like our offense is going to be much more diverse than Fairchild's.

You mean no more run left of center...left of center.....left of center?
      Hated by the stupid..
      Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Romes
        • Jul 2002

LBF was right when he said they would design this offense to look like Cincy's old scheme.
        Originally posted by paladin warrior
        RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• acehole
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Romes
          LBF was right when he said they would design this offense to look like Cincy's old scheme.
          Ok but I dont remember that as a powerhouse offense....

Any old guys here who can speak of the vaulted Bengals offense?
          Hated by the stupid..
          Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            • May 2003

Ken Anderson was a pretty good QB, Icky Woods did a mean shuffle, and Anthony Munoz anchored a real good O-Line, but I can't remember theit receivers.
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by acehole
              Ok but I dont remember that as a powerhouse offense....

Any old guys here who can speak of the vaulted Bengals offense?
              Ken Anderson was a very smart, very accurate passer. He was replaced by Boomer Esiason who was similar. Esiason was a Pro Bowl QB in the late '80s--pretty good considering that Marino, Elway and Kelly were all in the AFC (and the Raiders had a decent QB also).

James Brooks, who was a Pro Bowler and very similar in many ways to Thurman Thomas, before Thurman Thomas, was their "home-run" threat at RB. He was an excellent receiver out of the backfield and, being fast, a very dangerous runner outside of the tackles. Being on the smallish side (he was smaller than T.Thomas), Cincy didn't like to run him inside the way the Bills used Thomas.

In 1988, Cincy added Ickey Woods, ROY, to take over as their primary inside runner from Stanley Wilson. Where Wilson was more of a situational back-up to Brooks, Woods, who ended up being a Pro Bowler, got a lot more playing time and gradually relegated Brooks to being a 3rd down back as he got older. Early on, they had Larry Kinnebrew, a real bruiser, who was replaced by Woods.

The offensive line featured two Pro Bowlers: HOF OT Anthony Munoz and OG Max Montoya. Dave Rimington was a pretty good center until 1987. I don't remember if it was Brian Blados or Bruce Reimers who took over for Rimington, but I do recall that their center position was still pretty strong.

At wide receiver, Eddie Brown, who was a Pro Bowler, was their primary weapon. I remember him as being very fast and having good hands. They had an even faster WR than Brown in Tim McGee, who was an Olympic class sprinter. Their main possession receiver was Chris Collinsworth, who was a lot better than he gives himself credit for being.

Rodney Holman was their main TE. He was a tall, athletic TE who could catch the ball pretty well.

Jim Breech, the kicker, didn't have great range, but he was very accurate for his day.

Three times in a five year span they scored over 400 points, including 448--and average of 28 points a game--in 1988. In one of the other two years they scored 360 points, a 22.5 per game average. And, that was at a time when the rules favored the defense more than they do today.

Schonert was there during Wyche's heyday and also when the team took a downturn due to age, injuries and losses to free agency (Cincy was notorious for being even cheaper than the Bills ever were). The Houston and Pittsburgh teams that the Bills faced on their way to their Super Bowl appearances ultimately surpassed the Bengals (who fired Wyche and let Esaison go to the Jets after he was injured a couple of times).

But, during Wyche's heyday in Cincy, their offense was pretty efficient when it came to scoring.
              Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Carl Pickens was a pretty good WR for the Bengals too.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                  Roways rooking ahread!
                  • Sep 2005

Well, the execution on the field is the final result of a plan. We have been hearing how the line would help our offense and what have you for the past few years now. Please place the proof in the pudding, thanks.

Comment

• Confused
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Jun 2007

good read. thanks

Comment

• realdealryan
                      realdealrex
                      • Nov 2005

You mean no more run left of center...left of center.....left of center....PUNT?
                      fixed.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                        Unreachable Douche
                        • Jul 2002

One of my biggest complaints was Fairchild predictability.

This sounds (On paper) very different then what we were running.

Made the point I made of exclusive short routes and there danger.
                        Talk is cheap. I want to see results to believe it.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                          • Feb 2005

Just one snag... We better all hope that Trent Edwards lives up to the Boomer Esiason role.

Comment

• Romes
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by draz54
                            Just one snag... We better all hope that Trent Edwards lives up to the Boomer Esiason role.
                            actually there is more than just one snag. Along with hoping Trent improves we also better hope

1) the offense being implemented looks good not only on paper but also looks good on the field.
                            2) that come game time Schonert selects the right plays
                            3) Marshawn does not have a sophomore slump
                            4) the offensive line improves their run blocking
                            5) Hardy becomes the redzone threat he's supposed to be
                            6) we get some production from the TE position

Am I missing anything?

Or we could all just lay it on Trent's shoulders...

I'm as optimistic as anyone but putting all the responsibility on Trent only serves to put all the blame on him if things don't work out.

Or should we all lay it on Trent's shoulder
                            Originally posted by paladin warrior
                            RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              • May 2003

As I recall, that Bengals team had a Super Bowl all but wrapped up, except for a guy named Joe Montana.

Comment

Working...
                              X