PDA

View Full Version : I hope TD wasn't eyeing this guy in the draft

Dozerdog
04-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Oregon State cornerback Dennis Weathersby shot

Associated Press
Apr. 20, 2003 10:36 p.m.

DUARTE, Calif. (AP)—

Dennis Weathersby, a standout cornerback at Oregon State and a top prospect in the upcoming NFL draft, was shot in the back Sunday in an apparent gang-related shooting.
Weathersby, 22, was shot at about 5:24 p.m. in a residential neighborhood, said Sgt. Donnie Johnson, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. He was taken to a hospital, but his condition was not immediately known.

http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=1088624

Schobel94
04-21-2003, 10:38 AM
Oh man thats sucks, getting shot is not cool.

don137
04-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Schobel94
Oh man thats sucks, getting shot is not cool.

Yea, I don't think Weathersby was a big fan of getting shot either.

BigMike68
04-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Yah I guess getting shot wouldnt be as cool as say getting drafted.

Earthquake Enyart
04-21-2003, 12:11 PM
If he was shot in the back, he must have had a lousy 40 time.

Mr. Miyagi
04-21-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
If he was shot in the back, he must have had a lousy 40 time.
I don't think he'll run any faster now.

Bulldog
04-21-2003, 12:16 PM
Must have poor reflexes!

The Spaz
04-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Damn I would have taken a look at him in the 2nd or 3rd round. That sucks for him big time.

SoCalBillsFan
04-21-2003, 12:39 PM
well, if he's still available in later rounds, maybe he's "worth a shot"...

Schobel94
04-21-2003, 12:53 PM
LOL!!!! I dont think that was appropriate but it sure was funny!

Demon
04-21-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Damn I would have taken a look at him in the 2nd or 3rd round. That sucks for him big time.

Most mock drafts i read had him going in the 2nd round to Detriot Lions but i guess not anymore lol. Either way, i doubt Bills were looking at him seriously becasue they knew he'd be gone which is good i guess lol.

justasportsfan
04-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Update : http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/6327981

TigerJ
04-21-2003, 03:38 PM
I understand his injury is not all that serious. If it drops him, maybe Buffalo should take a look at him. I wouldn't wish getting shot on anyone but the NFL is a pretty callous business, especially when it comes to drafting. The teams that do their homework (ie. find out whether this injury could affect his play as a pro) are the teams that win in the long run.

Gunzlingr
04-21-2003, 04:19 PM
Weathersby OK after drive-by shooting

April 21, 2003 Print it

DUARTE, Calif. -- NFL draft prospect Dennis Weathersby is expected to make a complete recovery after he was shot in the back in suspected gang-related violence.

The former Oregon State cornerback was in stable condition Monday and was expected to be released from the hospital no later than Wednesday, agent Gary Uberstine said. No surgery was required.

The 22-year-old player has no history of legal problems or gang affiliation, Uberstine said.

"I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I feel fine," Weathersby said Monday. "I'm lucky. The Lord has a reason for everything and this must be part of his plan for me."

He was hit by a single bullet, which entered his back below his lungs, exited his torso and then struck his left arm.

"After speaking with his doctors, we are expecting a complete and speedy recovery," said Uberstine, whose client has been projected as a first- or second-round selection in this week's NFL draft.

Weathersby was getting into his car Sunday when several alleged gang members in a white sport utility vehicle drove up and opened fire, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said. There were no arrests, sheriff's officials said.

Weathersby, who graduated from Oregon State after last season, was in his hometown of Duarte, a Los Angeles suburb
MORE (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20030421/469897.html)

The Spaz
04-21-2003, 04:19 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/6327981

Oregon State CB Weathersby shot, in stable condition
April 21, 2003
SportsLine.com wire reports

Prisco: CB prospects breakdown
DUARTE, Calif. -- Top NFL Draft prospect Dennis Weathersby is expected to make a complete recovery after he was shot in the back in suspected gang-related violence.

The former Oregon State cornerback was in stable condition Monday and was expected to be released from the hospital no later than Wednesday, agent Gary Uberstine said. No surgery was required.

The 22-year-old player has no history of legal problems or gang affiliation, Uberstine said.

"I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I feel fine," Weathersby said Monday. "I'm lucky. The Lord has a reason for everything and this must be part of his plan for me."

He was hit by a single bullet, which entered his back below his lungs, exited his torso and then struck his left arm.

"After speaking with his doctors, we are expecting a complete and speedy recovery," said Uberstine, whose client has been projected as a first- or second-round selection in this week's NFL Draft.

Weathersby was getting into his car Sunday when several alleged gang members in a white sport utility vehicle drove up and opened fire, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said. There were no arrests, sheriff's officials said.

Weathersby, who graduated from Oregon State after last season, was in his hometown of Duarte, a Los Angeles suburb.

"It is being investigated as a gang incident. There is a gang presence in the area and a rivalry there," Deputy Harry Drucker said. There have been numerous shootings there recently.

A friend who was with Weathersby was not wounded and drove him to a hospital.

Weathersby was a semifinalist last season for the Jim Thorpe Award, which is given to the nation's best college defensive back. He was a four-year starter and an All-Academic Pac-10 selection. He set a school record with 57 passes broken up during his four years and made five interceptions.

Could still be a 2nd day pick! Go Bills!

Tatonka
04-21-2003, 04:43 PM
grab him in the 3rd now..