PDA

View Full Version : Parrish to challenge Hardy for #2 ?

mysticsoto
06-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Interesting...so as much as Chris Brown has been talking about Reed doing well and all the OTA notes about him catching so much from Edwards, it is really Parrish that will challenge Hardy for #2...

Roscoe Parrish has been working on the outside more often in the current Bills offense, with Josh Reed playing the slot.
If that sticks, Parrish could be fighting rookie second-round pick James Hardy for a starting slot. Hardy would be the favorite despite his lack of experience.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx?rwr=1

mikemac2001
06-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Interesting...so as much as Chris Brown has been talking about Reed doing well and all the OTA notes about him catching so much from Edwards, it is really Parrish that will challenge Hardy for #2...

Roscoe Parrish has been working on the outside more often in the current Bills offense, with Josh Reed playing the slot.
If that sticks, Parrish could be fighting rookie second-round pick James Hardy for a starting slot. Hardy would be the favorite despite his lack of experience.

another article was talking about they want reed in the slot bc he is the most dangerous there and want some more speed on the outside....idk if it has to do with reed sucking but ive always liked him in the slot better

DraftBoy
06-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Well that scares me to be perfectly honest.

OpIv37
06-17-2008, 03:13 PM
seriously I hope Hardy wins out. We need at least one big body out there.

Mitchy moo
06-17-2008, 03:16 PM

Do you actually think we drafted a 6' 5" WR to bench him?? Give me a F-in break.

mysticsoto
06-17-2008, 03:17 PM

Why? B'cse Parrish could become the odd man out instead of Reed?

justasportsfan
06-17-2008, 03:19 PM

Source: ESPN.com

RockStar36
06-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Hardy will win the #2 spot but I wouldn't be surprised if they used Parrish more on the outside because of his speed and to take less hits since he is such a little guy. I've also always liked Reed more as a slot. He seems very dependable in that capacity.

Confused
06-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I could see this happening. Hardy will be the starter mid season

DraftBoy
06-17-2008, 03:22 PM

No because if Parrish is outside he can be jammed and he does not have the ability, size or strength to escape the jam. So our #2 target would be able to be neutralized.

RockStar36
06-17-2008, 03:23 PM
No because if Parrish is outside he can be jammed and he does not have the ability, size or strength to escape the jam. So our #2 target would be able to be neutralized.

Are you assuming that or do you know for a fact?

mysticsoto
06-17-2008, 03:24 PM

So the question becomes, does he have enough speed to learn to evade the jam...

Mr. Miyagi
06-17-2008, 03:28 PM
None of those guys are in danger of getting cut. Evans, Parrish, Hardy, and Reed are all safe.

Hardy only NEEDS to be out there in red zone situations. On 1st and 10s at mid field I'd have no problem with Evans and Parrish stretching the field at the same time, and Reed in the slot. Who do you cover?

Pinkerton Security
06-17-2008, 03:36 PM
they said the same thing last year. parrish was looking like our #2 WR all through the summer, or was at least fighting for the spoty heavily, and that never panned out. hardy may or may not start right away, but I dont see Parrish holding down the #2 spot much.

OpIv37
06-17-2008, 03:41 PM
None of those guys are in danger of getting cut. Evans, Parrish, Hardy, and Reed are all safe.

Hardy only NEEDS to be out there in red zone situations. On 1st and 10s at mid field I'd have no problem with Evans and Parrish stretching the field at the same time, and Reed in the slot. Who do you cover?

I don't know but that combination didn't do anything last year.

BuffaloBills28
06-17-2008, 03:43 PM
No because if Parrish is outside he can be jammed and he does not have the ability, size or strength to escape the jam. So our #2 target would be able to be neutralized.Why because thats what "most" small wr's have trouble with, how many times did parrish burn a cb on the outside last season?

DraftBoy
06-17-2008, 03:47 PM

Huh? What is speed going to do for him, you a CB 2-3 yards away is he going to run away or around him in that split second it will take for a CB to close down on him?

Historian
06-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Parrish is going to end up returning kicks eventually.

Dr. Lecter
06-17-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't know but that combination didn't do anything last year.

While true, the combo was used with Parrish in the slot and Reed outside so it is not identical.

raphael120
06-17-2008, 03:52 PM
While I agree that Reed is most effective in the slot, I also feel that Parrish is most effective in the slot too. I'm not very confident in his ability to be a #2 WR, and bringing in Peerless Price and keeping Parrish #4 WR this whole time is evidence the coaching staff didn't think he was that capable before, so then why is he now?

bigbub2352
06-17-2008, 03:57 PM
This is the same stuff that comes out after the OTAs, Roscoe puts on a show without pads on as does REED, then we get into a game , and they are no were to be found, Now Roscoe could be the victim of poor QB play, or bad coaching not knowing how to use him, but Reed sucks and has had oppurtunities do be the guy and failed, Hardy will be 2 and Parrish and REED will be 3 and 4 and moved around alot more

raphael120
06-17-2008, 03:57 PM

Did you see last season? All you need to cover is Evans. Reed and Parrish can't pick up the slack.

RockStar36
06-17-2008, 04:02 PM
I seem to remember the deep connection to Parrish working a few times last season but I have no idea if those plays had him in the slot or on the outside.

Jan Reimers
06-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Parrish is probably a little small to be our every down number 2 WR. Hardy will eventually win that job, and Reed and Parrish will be the 3rd and 4th guys, pending the development of Johson, Huggins or Jenkins.

Mitchy moo
06-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Parrish is probably a little small to be our every down number 2 WR. Hardy will eventually win that job, and Reed and Parrish will be the 3rd and 4th guys, pending the development of Johson, Huggins or Jenkins.

Winning it is like saying the lottery ticket holder that won it but didn't cash it yet, isn't the winner. Hardy was drafted to play in 2nd spot right now, nothing else to know.

raphael120
06-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Winning it is like saying the lottery ticket holder that won it but didn't cash it yet, isn't the winner. Hardy was drafted to play in 2nd spot right now, nothing else to know.

i think people underestimate how ****ty our offense will be without evans...hardy and parrish are NOT a formidable duo.

The Answer
06-17-2008, 04:14 PM

They probably figure that Hardy is going to be in prison by the time the season starts, so why not give the little fella the reps as the number two receiver.

~The Answer

Mitchy moo
06-17-2008, 06:22 PM
i think people underestimate how ****ty our offense will be without evans...hardy and parrish are NOT a formidable duo.

Our offense was ****ty because it was to predictable and the guy calling it didn't want to work anymore after finding out he had a new job. We never won another game after he learned he had become a head coach somewhere else. The F-er was leaving and didn't care and so offensively, we dumped the last games we had.

What makes a offense formidable to start with is having the personal to carry out a plan our opposing defenses do not expect and then being able to change those plans to adjust for that their defensive adjustments. The offense has to figure what the defenses are going to do to adjust and then counter those moves mid-stream. My 8 year son could see what plays where coming from threr Bills offense, that means that the pro's watching from across the field could not be awed or confused. We need to awe and confuse all the time, nearly every game. You go in with the exact opposite game plan your opponent expects and then switch to your strength's midstream, just when the opposing team gets comfortable.

We used to do that in the early 90's and we won many different ways. We won on offense, we won on defense and we won on the last drive of the game. We found ways to win and we had a chance to win nearly every game. We didn't play to lose and we didn't play with fear, we just played. Those are all the ingredients necessary to make your team stronger and better, just counter-measures and assumptions.

The corpse needs to avoid the offense entirely and allow the people he hired to do their job, if he gets involved we are a .500 team at best. We may end up a .500 team even if he does stay away but we may establish ourselves as a improving team. Right now we are 2nd place doormats to a team that's the best at adjustments, we need to get better in a hurry to do better.

Mad Max
06-17-2008, 08:16 PM
On 4Wide sets the entire field (past the LOS) would be occupied by a pretty good WR. Parrish would get deepest, Evans occupies the next tier, then Hardy, and finally Reed across the middle close in on the LOS. Not bad. Now throw in Johnson on 5wide?

If the Schonert and the OL are up to the task I think we're gonna do some damage.

coastal
06-17-2008, 08:25 PM
With Lynch bound for suspension... let's run 4 WR sets just like NE.

Afterall, Trent is supposed to be Brady's twin... right?

mysticsoto
06-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Huh? What is speed going to do for him, you a CB 2-3 yards away is he going to run away or around him in that split second it will take for a CB to close down on him?

Uhhh...you are not completely helpless just b'cse you are smaller. How do you think Steve Smith or Marvin Harrison handle it? They are not big by any means yet they seem to manage fine...

Oaf
06-17-2008, 11:35 PM
I think Parrish serves us better on the outside than Reed does on the outside. I have no problem with Hardy being the #4 on opening day with Reed in the slot. But I do expect him to quickly leapfrog straight to the #2 spot on the outside placing both Parrish and Reed in the slot depending on the situation.

Captain gameboy
06-18-2008, 05:13 AM

I think that jamming Parrish is a very risky proposition. By doing that, you are putting your db in a position exactly on Parrish just after the snap. With his quickness and the pass interference/holding rules, you would need to have at least one guy account for him if he escapes the jam, because I doubt there are many corners who could recover fast enough.

What I'd guess they would do is jam and blitz on the same play, reducing the risk of him running wild for any amount of time. That would open up a slot or a TE, if we kept the rb in the backfield for blitz pickup.
Either way, it would be quite risky. With the Bills looking at more three/five step drops, if you miss a jam, the ball will be on him quickly.

jamze132
06-18-2008, 06:29 AM
I think all receivers look good when their not wearing their pads. But as soon as they go on, a lot of them forget how to run a crisp route or catch the ball in traffic since they pucker up.

Hopefully Hardy's size wil allow him to stay in their and make the difficult catch.

mysticsoto
06-18-2008, 07:53 AM
I think that jamming Parrish is a very risky proposition. By doing that, you are putting your db in a position exactly on Parrish just after the snap. With his quickness and the pass interference/holding rules, you would need to have at least one guy account for him if he escapes the jam, because I doubt there are many corners who could recover fast enough.

What I'd guess they would do is jam and blitz on the same play, reducing the risk of him running wild for any amount of time. That would open up a slot or a TE, if we kept the rb in the backfield for blitz pickup.
Either way, it would be quite risky. With the Bills looking at more three/five step drops, if you miss a jam, the ball will be on him quickly.

I think there's a good chance that the above scenario may be executed. And Schonert may be looking to exploit such a scenario. I think teams would be hard pressed to assign another man to Parrish as a just in case when they also need to account for Evans on the other side - unless they run the cover 2 already. Of course, having a TE that actually produced would be invaluable for Parrish (and Trent). Let's hope Schouman is actually developing as good as they say he is looking!!!

Captain gameboy
06-18-2008, 07:56 AM
I think there's a good chance that the above scenario may be executed. And Schonert may be looking to exploit such a scenario. I think teams would be hard pressed to assign another man to Parrish as a just in case when they also need to account for Evans on the other side - unless they run the cover 2 already. Of course, having a TE that actually produced would be invaluable for Parrish (and Trent). Let's hope Schouman is actually developing as good as they say he is looking!!!

That is exactly what I think they are looking at.
If Parrish lines up outside and beats a jam, he has a lot more room to run.
If he beats a jam in the slot, he is still in traffic.
Either way, I think we outnumber them, and they would have to rely on busting up the protection to hurry the play.

yordad
06-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Guys, Parrish is on the outside for one reason. Evans isn't practicing.

They are leaving Reed where they intend to play him. Parrish is practicing outside to simulate Evans.

Nothing more. If they intended not to start Hardy, Reed would get outside reps.

mysticsoto
06-18-2008, 08:40 AM

They are leaving Reed where they intend to play him. Parrish is practicing outside to simulate Evans.

I hope that Hardy is good enough to start at #2 from the start of the season. But they have to have a backup plan regardless of whether he is ready or not OR just to be ready if he were to get hurt. I think Parrish has the speed to be a good #2 but in the past they haven't been using him correctly. If he is able to perform the way GB describes above then alot of his deficiencies would seem to be more from Fairchild's usage of him than of his own. That is a possibility that, if I'm the coaching staff, I'm willing to explore...

DraftBoy
06-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Uhhh...you are not completely helpless just b'cse you are smaller. How do you think Steve Smith or Marvin Harrison handle it? They are not big by any means yet they seem to manage fine...

Yes but Steve Smith is one of the strongest pound for pound WR's in the game if not the strongest so your comparison is bad there, and Harrison is 3 inches taller and 14 pounds heavier and stronger than Parrish, so Im not really seeing your comparison as at all valid at this point.

Captain gameboy
06-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Yes but Steve Smith is one of the strongest pound for pound WR's in the game if not the strongest so your comparison is bad there, and Harrison is 3 inches taller and 14 pounds heavier and stronger than Parrish, so Im not really seeing your comparison as at all valid at this point.

You can beat a jam with quick.
I'd like to see them line up Parrish and Hardy on the same side and run a little pick play like the 49ers did all the time.
Hardy could be singled and use his size to get to a higher ball while Roscoe could use his quickness to get out of the traffic quickly.

mysticsoto
06-18-2008, 09:38 AM
I think you are being harsh on Parrish as not being a viable WR. Maybe you are right. Unfortunately I can't be convinced b'cse I blame alot of our O's poor play on Fairchild's lame playcalling. I think Parrish has potential. Now, if Schonert can use his talents to the advantage of the team, you may be proven wrong in thinking he won't be able to beat the jam.

Besides GB's scenario above (the trick play/wr screen) is probably a very likely call that Parrish could excel at. Hardy's size should make him an excellent blocker/screener and Parrish would then be able to use his quickness to feint, fake and otherwise breakaway from the other defender.

At the very least, these are plays that could be called early in the season while Hardy comes up to speed (again, if he isn't ready) once the season starts.

In any case, it is intriguing to come up with plays tailored to your personnel rather than try and fit your players to a system that wasn't working which is what Fairchild did.

CAbills
06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
I think its just because Lee Evans is not participating someone has to play his spot

justasportsfan
06-18-2008, 10:29 AM
This is the same stuff that comes out after the OTAs, Roscoe puts on a show without pads on as does REED, then we get into a game , and they are no were to be found, Now Roscoe could be the victim of poor QB play, or bad coaching not knowing how to use him, but Reed sucks and has had oppurtunities do be the guy and failed, Hardy will be 2 and Parrish and REED will be 3 and 4 and moved around alot more
you can't expect anyone to do anything when you've had a carousel at every position especially at qb since Marv left as a HC . Let's not forget the ever changing offensive system due to coaching changes.

Barring injurries , I think we will see Reed at his best this season. He finally has a qb that's good at dinking the ball to him. Trent and Reed had the best chemistry amongst our offensive players last year. I think they will get better after a year playing together.

mysticsoto
06-18-2008, 11:43 AM

Let's not be too sure about where anybody (other than Evans) is going to start. Everyone is hoping that Hardy can pick things up quickly enough to start at #2 - and yet...let's not forget that Calvin Johnson (last year's elite rookie WR) did nothing special as a starter.

We can hope, but I think the coaching staff is likely coming up with alternatives in case Hardy is not ready come the start of the season.

HHURRICANE
06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Parrish is not going to last a whole season as a #2. in addition he'd have a hard time getting off the line. He's a #4 receiver period.

Captain gameboy
06-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Nobody is asking him to be a number two, and we have no idea whether he could survive or not.
Being small does not ensure death.

What is being suggested is that lining him up outside, from time to time, may create play options that give us very favorable match ups with a lot of interesting choices.

Sure beats the heck out of run/run/pass/punt, and Roscoe is getting paid to do a lot more than return punts.

HHURRICANE
06-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Nobody is asking him to be a number two, and we have no idea whether he could survive or not.
Being small does not ensure death.

What is being suggested is that lining him up outside, from time to time, may create play options that give us very favorable match ups with a lot of interesting choices.

Sure beats the heck out of run/run/pass/punt, and Roscoe is getting paid to do a lot more than return punts.

We tried having him run as the #2 WR last year. He didn't beat the coverage down field because he got hammered on the line.

Spiderweb
06-19-2008, 12:31 PM

Hummmmm......with Roscoe's speed (check, he has it) and his ability to cut and change direction (check, he has it), getting jammed at the line should not be a big issue, talent wise, even if he does lack ideal size.

I see Parrish and Hardy splitting time early in the season and the remainder based upon their production.