Clear All
  • The Answer
    The Plagiarist
    • Mar 2007

PFW: Bills financial struggles ought to keep Lynch from suspension

Bills' financial struggles ought to keep Lynch from suspension
    By Matt Sohn (msohn@pfwmedia.com)
    June 17, 2008

After the latest installment of “Bills Bahaving Badly,” no longer is the disheartening saga in Buffalo merely sidebar material.

It’s one thing for peripheral players such as DE Anthony Hargrove, WR-PR Roscoe Parrish and rookie WR James Hardy to sully their reputations with off-field misconduct. It’s another thing altogether when the player some are touting as the next Thurman Thomas finds himself in a legal quagmire.

It’s been a little over a week now since RB Marshawn Lynch’s Porsche SUV reportedly struck a pedestrian, then sped off in an apparent hit-and-run. Erie County District Attorney Frank Clark has said he believes Lynch was behind the wheel at the time, and while it’s always best to reserve final judgment until there is a conviction (or even charges), it’s certainly not looking good for the outstanding second-year back.

If the allegations leveled against him prove true, Lynch should immediately be in pole position for Buffalo’s Bonehead of the Year award. It’s stupid, selfish and morally reprehensible. He should not only be forced to pay restitution to the woman he bruised and bloodied (luckily, she didn’t suffer any debilitating injuries), but the payment should come from the sale of his big-boy toy — clearly, he’s not mature enough to handle it. His license ought to be suspended, if not revoked, and he’d be wise to start familiarizing himself with the city’s transit system.................

~The Answer
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: PFW: Bills financial struggles ought to keep Lynch from suspension

So the Bills FO should take the keys away from Marshawn? Yeah, ok... Nice punishment, dad.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I find amazing the widespread notion that the Bills are struggling financially. They were 8th or 9th in the league in net revenue last year, which puts them among the most financially successful teams in the league.

Could they struggle in the future? Of course.

Would they take in more GROSS revenue in a bigger market? Undoubtedly.

But right now, with no appreciable debt, they are in good shape financially.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
        I find amazing the widespread notion that the Bills are struggling financially. They were 8th or 9th in the league in net revenue last year, which puts them among the most financially successful teams in the league.

Could they struggle in the future? Of course.

Would they take in more GROSS revenue in a bigger market? Undoubtedly.

But right now, with no appreciable debt, they are in good shape financially.

I read the thread title and my first thought is What financial struggles? I guess to some if they're not making as much as they could in Toronto they're struggling?

Comment

• Bill Brasky
          Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jamze132
          So the Bills FO should take the keys away from Marshawn? Yeah, ok... Nice punishment, dad.
          if this was a "normal" person the justice system would do it for him.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

What does this even mean? I thought the Bills are one of the more profitable teams in the league?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
              What does this even mean? I thought the Bills are one of the more profitable teams in the league?
              They are, in net revenue, which is the number that really counts. The financial struggling thing is a myth perpetuated by many people, including Ralph Wilson, apparently to pave the way for a (not at all necessary) move.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by jfreeman
                if this was a "normal" person the justice system would do it for him.
                He would get his car back anyways.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

They are, in net revenue, which is the number that really counts. The financial struggling thing is a myth perpetuated by many people, including Ralph Wilson, apparently to pave the way for a (not at all necessary) move.
                  Jan, don't speak like that...

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

Trade him.

Comment

• DarbyTheDinosaur
                      • Dec 2004

I'm not saying I disagree or agree with this statement, I just need someone to help me with the logic...

If you were a business owner that was churning out top revenues in its business area, why on Earth would you create a myth portraying financial struggles to relocate that business? Especially when your choices for relocation would be a city that has failed many previous businesses (LA) or a city that will tax it's employees so high that you would have a tough time recruiting and retaining the great ones (Toronto).
                      You people are depressing me...try this out so my doctor can take me off my meds!!!

op·ti·mism

1.a disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.

2.the belief that goodness pervades reality.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DarbyTheDinosaur
                        If you were a business owner that was churning out top revenues in its business area, why on Earth would you create a myth portraying financial struggles to relocate that business? Especially when your choices for relocation would be a city that has failed many previous businesses (LA) or a city that will tax it's employees so high that you would have a tough time recruiting and retaining the great ones (Toronto).

Because they would not be your team once you cashed the check.
                        These issues will be someone else's worries.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jamze132
                          He would get his car back anyways.
                          .... from the impound/towing service.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

So, the author's contention is that Lynch shouldn't be suspended because a) a suspension would hurt Buffalo's slim playoff chances and b) a playoff berth would increase the chances of the Bills staying in Buffalo.

That's really weak logic. First, it has nothing to do with whether the incident involving Lynch warrants a suspension and second, it assumes that Goodell WANTS the Bills to stay in Buffalo rather than move to more lucrative Toronto.

I agree that if the Bills start winning, they will generate more revenue and it will make it easier to stay in Buffalo. And I agree that Lynch's actions do not warrant a suspension at this point (a warning that a suspension will follow any subsequent issues will suffice). But the two issues are completely separate and Goodell has to handle each situation on its own merits.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37

That's really weak logic.
                              do you expect anything else coming from PFW?

Comment

Working...
                              X