PDA

View Full Version : McGee and Greer better than some think

The Spaz
06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Though Jabari Greer had to wait his turn last year to enter the starting lineup, he and Terrence McGee formed a pretty good tandem last season. Even though some fans are quick to assume that Leodis McKelvin will step in for Greer this season, that may be a rush to judgment. Not only did Greer have another outstanding spring, but according to KC Joyner, ESPN's resident "Football Scientist" as a tandem McGee and Greer ranked fourth in the league in yards per attempt allowed at an impressive 5.8 yards. Granted it's only one statistic, but Nate Clements and Walt Harris ranked 15th. Champ Bailey and Dre Bly ranked last. I was a bit surprised by some of the figures, and no it's not the end all, be all for judging cornerback play, but it is a legitimate stat. As I said in my minicamp notes last week, McKelvin is going to need to have a monster camp to crack the starting lineup in the secondary to start the season.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

ESPN has a link to the ratings but is for ESPN Insiders which I am not a member of.

Jan Reimers
06-18-2008, 09:13 AM
I love our CBs. Add McKelvin, James, Corner and perhaps a maturing Youboty to Greer and McGee, and you have one of the best units in the league.

raphael120
06-18-2008, 10:04 AM
for being who greer is (a relative unknown guy), he played very well next to mcgee...but I still think we can get better.

the real question is...will greer get better than mcgee? and if mckelvin does crack the lineup...who does he replace? greer? mcgee? mcgee is solid...not great...

justasportsfan
06-18-2008, 10:15 AM
they are inconsistent which is why Dick has been looking to add a top cb from the draft and via FA.

DrGraves
06-18-2008, 10:17 AM
yeah they are so good that we didnt need to draft a cb at number 11...

238.4 passing yards allowed per game last year, 29th in the league.

poor/fair at best.

don137
06-18-2008, 10:50 AM
While I agree McGee and Greer are underrated I also think with Brady in your division you can never have enough quality DBs. Brady torched our DBs last year. You are not going to be the best until you beat the best.

raphael120
06-18-2008, 11:09 AM
the fact that they only averaged that low yard per attempt is because teams dinked and dunked us to death because we did take away the deep ball but our weakness was in the short/mid range. if you cant stop both, youre going to get bowled over and youre going to have one of the last ranked defenses.

Mitchy moo
06-18-2008, 11:26 AM
There was no reason for our opponents to pass long when they ran all over us pretty much at will, so that stat is quite skewed. This year, that's just not going to happen so we better be ready back there and henceforth why why drafted so high with McK.

TacklingDummy
06-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Though Jabari Greer had to wait his turn last year to enter the starting lineup, he and Terrence McGee formed a pretty good tandem last season. Even though some fans are quick to assume that Leodis McKelvin will step in for Greer this season, that may be a rush to judgment. Not only did Greer have another outstanding spring, but according to KC Joyner, ESPN's resident "Football Scientist" as a tandem McGee and Greer ranked fourth in the league in yards per attempt allowed at an impressive 5.8 yards. Granted it's only one statistic, but Nate Clements and Walt Harris ranked 15th. Champ Bailey and Dre Bly ranked last. I was a bit surprised by some of the figures, and no it's not the end all, be all for judging cornerback play, but it is a legitimate stat. As I said in my minicamp notes last week, McKelvin is going to need to have a monster camp to crack the starting lineup in the secondary to start the season.

ESPN has a link to the ratings but is for ESPN Insiders which I am not a member of.

And this would be why I was against drafting CB in the first round.
The Bills needed a pass rush, not CB.

justasportsfan
06-18-2008, 11:32 AM
And this would be why I was against drafting CB in the first round.
The Bills needed a pass rush, not CB.
a great db unit will produce coverage sacks for our "high motor" DE's :ill:

bigbub2352
06-18-2008, 11:33 AM
This is why i argued so strongly in the weeks coming up to the draft about not goin DB, i would have rather gone WR, or OLine, i liked Greer and McGee and think the biggest problem with coverage last year came from not having any support over the top from the FS, as Leonard was horrible, and Wilson is slow,

I think they are gonna let greer walk next year unfortunalty, cause McKlevin is a starter in this league and is gonna be making to much money to sit next year

All and all we should have one of the best young secondaries in the league next year

The Answer
06-18-2008, 11:33 AM

As good as both of them looked at times last year - I still feel that they are both average starters. And if the corpse felt we were set at the position than he wouldn't have signed James and drafted 3 DB's in April.

This tells me that both starting positions are up for grabs.

~The Answer

TacklingDummy
06-18-2008, 11:34 AM

Great pass rush would help any secondary. The CB's won't have to cover their guys for the 10 seconds it takes the Bills line to get any pressure.

TacklingDummy
06-18-2008, 11:35 AM
This is why i argued so strongly in the weeks coming up to the draft about not goin DB, i would have rather gone WR, or OLine, i liked Greer and McGee and think the biggest problem with coverage last year came from not having any support over the top from the FS, as Leonard was horrible, and Wilson is slow,

and the pass rush stunk.

mysticsoto
06-18-2008, 11:38 AM

Actually, I think it will. There were many times last year where we seem to get to the QB a second or two too late. If coverage holds and the secondary can keep up with close coverage for an extra second or two, that might bode well for our average (and not elite) DEs. Also, they will likely need to spend time double teaming Stroud and McCargo, so everyone else will consistently be one on one...

bigbub2352
06-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Pass Rush was a huge factor as well TD, i agree, gotta be excited about the speed in our secondary, ur lookin at an average of 4.4 in the DBs even the safties can fly

justasportsfan
06-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Great pass rush would help any secondary. The CB's won't have to cover their guys for the 10 seconds it takes the Bills line to get any pressure.
they both go hand in hand. with an interior Dl that can collapse the pocket instead of being pushed back will help the pass rush . Whether we've brought in the players that can do that, remains to be seen.

justasportsfan
06-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Actually, I think it will. There were many times last year where we seem to get to the QB a second or two too late. If coverage holds and the secondary can keep up with close coverage for an extra second or two, that might bode well for our average (and not elite) DEs. Also, they will likely need to spend time double teaming Stroud and McCargo, so everyone else will consistently be one on one...
I agree.

If Stroud and MCcargo can collapse the pocket, it'll flush the qb's outside and into our DE's .

TacklingDummy
06-18-2008, 11:45 AM
they both go hand in hand. with an interior Dl that can collapse the pocket instead of being pushed back will help the pass rush . Whether we've brought in the players that can do that, remains to be seen.

True.

But how many times did we see an opposing QB standing in the pocket with no pressure around him taking all day to find a reciever? That tells me the secondary is doing a better job than what the pass rush was doing.

Too many fans are pinning hopes on Stroud and McCargo. Hopefully they work out.

The Answer
06-18-2008, 11:46 AM
and the pass rush stunk.

Agreed - the game is won in the trenches, and with the addition of Spencer and Stroud it's time for Schobel to up his game or get released after the 2008 season.

We need playmakers, not fatcats.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
06-18-2008, 11:49 AM
True.

But how many times did we see an opposing QB standing in the pocket with no pressure around him taking all day to find a reciever? That tells me the secondary is doing a better job than what the pass rush was doing.

Too many fans are pinning hopes on Stroud and McCargo. Hopefully they work out.
It's been stated that Schoebel was double teamed. Kelsay was injured as was Denney. Other than McCargo, the interior was useless and being pushed back. In that case, the qb will always have time to read the newpaper.

TacklingDummy
06-18-2008, 11:53 AM
It's been stated that Schoebel was double teamed. Kelsay was injured as was Denney. Other than McCargo, the interior was useless and being pushed back. In that case, the qb will always have time to read the newpaper.

And its been stated by NFL players that "Their defensive ends pass rush 100 percent all the time, so I knew it was going to leave a hole in the gap (to the outside), and that’s where I ran,” Willie Parker said.

That being the case having only 11 sacks between Kelsay, Schobel, and Denney is pathetic.

justasportsfan
06-18-2008, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=TacklingDummy]And its been stated by NFL players that "Their defensive ends pass rush 100 percent all the time, so I knew it was going to leave a hole in the gap (to the outside), and that

Mitchy moo
06-18-2008, 12:16 PM
And its been stated by NFL players that "Their defensive ends pass rush 100 percent all the time, so I knew it was going to leave a hole in the gap (to the outside), and that’s where I ran,” Willie Parker said.

That being the case having only 11 sacks between Kelsay, Schobel, and Denney is pathetic.

Let's redo all of their contracts based on their performance and see how they feel.

Oaf
06-18-2008, 05:17 PM
I still think that in Nickel situations, McGee will be the one who moves into the nickel slot spot with Greer and McKelvin on the outside. Just a better fit, IMO. (After Crowell, Evans, Peters, he should be on our list for a new contract.)

Oaf
06-18-2008, 05:23 PM
I love how Champ and Dre ended up last and we were scared silly to throw it against them, most assuredly leading to our defeat.

PECKERWOOD
06-18-2008, 06:03 PM

It's a really nice problem to have.. The Bills have 3 CB's of starting caliber.

feelthepain
06-18-2008, 06:06 PM
I love our CBs. Add McKelvin, James, Corner and perhaps a maturing Youboty to Greer and McGee, and you have one of the best units in the league.

Wow, one of the best in the league. How many probowls do those guy's have?

Philagape
06-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm higher on Greer than McGee. I'd love to end up with Greer and McKelvin starting

Lefty2985
06-18-2008, 07:00 PM
i leave it open because we wouldnt draft so many dbs if they felt confortable. our dline should be better and as i have said i feel mccargo will have a big year. he is great at getting in seemed like he was the only one who could last year. that helps i think you will see mcgee and mckelvin as the starters and mcgee stuggle and greer step in and not look back leading to those to starting. corner and youboty will be interesting who will take that fourth spot. go corner.

The Spaz
06-18-2008, 07:30 PM

Hasn't McGee been to 1-2 as a returner?

The Spaz
06-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Beat us and talk ****.

feelthepain
06-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Beat us and talk ****.

I'll say what I like.

The Spaz
06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
I'll say what I like.

It don't mean **** when you can't beat us no matter how bad you think we are.

Oaf
06-19-2008, 01:59 AM
Talent-wise with McGee, Greer, James, McKelvin and even Corner and Youboty we are among the top.

jamze132
06-19-2008, 03:51 AM
When Denney is 100% healthy, he and Kelsay can rotate in and out and we will always have fresh legs from the LDE position. which will aleviate pressure on Schobel. Remember what happened in 06? Our DEs had one of the highest sack totals in the NFL. Last Kelsay played too much and since he sucks, especially when he's tired, the offenses just slid protection over to Schobel's side and the QB had to infinity to throw the ball wherever he felt like.

About our CB. I think where they lineup is a moot point. If McGee, Gree, and McKelvin are all on the field at the same time, it usually means the offense is running a 3-4 WR set which we should line-up man-to-man, regardless of what receiver is where. We put our best CB on theit best WR and go down the line. If he's on the outside, so be it.

mysticsoto
06-19-2008, 07:43 AM
I'll say what I like.

Translation: I can't. The Dolphins suck...

justasportsfan
06-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Yeah, they aren't that good but good enough to expose your QB's as idiots .

feelthepain
06-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Talent-wise with McGee, Greer, James, McKelvin and even Corner and Youboty we are among the top.

Well, that's an opinion.

justasportsfan
06-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Well, that's an opinion.
DUH!!!

feelthepain
06-19-2008, 08:51 AM
It don't mean **** when you can't beat us no matter how bad you think we are.

I could care less what you think, so we're even.

Dr. Lecter
06-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Well, that's an opinion.

On a message board????

What is the world coming to??????

justasportsfan
06-19-2008, 08:53 AM
I could care less what you think, .

Haha! Yet you're here reading and posting replies . :coocoo:

Yet they made you a MOD on FH ? :roflmao:
Did you remove the thread I started laughing at FH for doing so?

feelthepain
06-19-2008, 10:19 AM
On a message board????

What is the world coming to??????

Huge difference between opinion and fact.

yordad
06-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Huge difference between opinion and fact.Fact: The Dolphins finished '07 with a 1-15 record. In my opinion, they suck. Awesome how opinions are usually based on fact. At least with rational people.

justasportsfan
06-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Fact: The Dolphins finished '07 with a 1-15 record..

Fact Bills 7-9

FTP's opinion...the fins were better than the bills the last 2 years. :crazy:

feelthepain
06-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Fact: The Dolphins finished '07 with a 1-15 record. In my opinion, they suck. Awesome how opinions are usually based on fact. At least with rational people.
Coming from the fan of a team that is one of the few to still be looking for their first SB win, your view of reality is laughable.

Captain gameboy
06-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Coming from the fan of a team that is one of the few to still be looking for their first SB win, your view of reality is laughable.

Coming from a fan of a team that pegged the Suck-O-Meter last year, your's is more laughable.

Per your logic, all discourse should end unless you have won a Super Bowl.

Perhaps you should consider that nobody cares about what happened decades ago on a message board focused on teams in 2008.

Just a thought.

feelthepain
06-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Coming from a fan of a team that pegged the Suck-O-Meter last year, your's is more laughable.

But when the Bills were that team it didn't stop Bill fans and lets not forget the Bills sucked last year and the year before too. "Oh, we didn't suck as bad so we can talk trash"...stupid logic, cause your team still SUCKS PERIOD.

Per your logic, all discourse should end unless you have won a Super Bowl.

Yet winning just 7 games is a far better reason for the smack? Again...stupid logic! 7 wins 9 loses, 1 win 15 loses, both results have the same ending, no playoffs. For anyone with half a brain.... if you don't make the playoffs and finish below 500. you basically suck.

Perhaps you should consider that nobody cares about what happened decades ago on a message board focused on teams in 2008.

Yeah, but no matter how long ago it was it sure as hell beats rooting for a team without one. Perhaps you should consider your team will never win a SB in your lifetime...since we seem to be focusing on reality.