X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

McGee and Greer better than some think

Though Jabari Greer had to wait his turn last year to enter the starting lineup, he and Terrence McGee formed a pretty good tandem last season. Even though some fans are quick to assume that Leodis McKelvin will step in for Greer this season, that may be a rush to judgment. Not only did Greer have another outstanding spring, but according to KC Joyner, ESPN's resident "Football Scientist" as a tandem McGee and Greer ranked fourth in the league in yards per attempt allowed at an impressive 5.8 yards. Granted it's only one statistic, but Nate Clements and Walt Harris ranked 15th. Champ Bailey and Dre Bly ranked last. I was a bit surprised by some of the figures, and no it's not the end all, be all for judging cornerback play, but it is a legitimate stat. As I said in my minicamp notes last week, McKelvin is going to need to have a monster camp to crack the starting lineup in the secondary to start the season.

ESPN has a link to the ratings but is for ESPN Insiders which I am not a member of.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: McGee and Greer better than some think

I love our CBs. Add McKelvin, James, Corner and perhaps a maturing Youboty to Greer and McGee, and you have one of the best units in the league.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• raphael120
      Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
      • Oct 2005

for being who greer is (a relative unknown guy), he played very well next to mcgee...but I still think we can get better.

the real question is...will greer get better than mcgee? and if mckelvin does crack the lineup...who does he replace? greer? mcgee? mcgee is solid...not great...

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

they are inconsistent which is why Dick has been looking to add a top cb from the draft and via FA.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• DrGraves
          • Mar 2008

yeah they are so good that we didnt need to draft a cb at number 11...

238.4 passing yards allowed per game last year, 29th in the league.

poor/fair at best.

Comment

• don137
            • Jul 2002

While I agree McGee and Greer are underrated I also think with Brady in your division you can never have enough quality DBs. Brady torched our DBs last year. You are not going to be the best until you beat the best.

Comment

• raphael120
              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
              • Oct 2005

the fact that they only averaged that low yard per attempt is because teams dinked and dunked us to death because we did take away the deep ball but our weakness was in the short/mid range. if you cant stop both, youre going to get bowled over and youre going to have one of the last ranked defenses.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

There was no reason for our opponents to pass long when they ran all over us pretty much at will, so that stat is quite skewed. This year, that's just not going to happen so we better be ready back there and henceforth why why drafted so high with McK.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                  Unreachable Douche
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                  Though Jabari Greer had to wait his turn last year to enter the starting lineup, he and Terrence McGee formed a pretty good tandem last season. Even though some fans are quick to assume that Leodis McKelvin will step in for Greer this season, that may be a rush to judgment. Not only did Greer have another outstanding spring, but according to KC Joyner, ESPN's resident "Football Scientist" as a tandem McGee and Greer ranked fourth in the league in yards per attempt allowed at an impressive 5.8 yards. Granted it's only one statistic, but Nate Clements and Walt Harris ranked 15th. Champ Bailey and Dre Bly ranked last. I was a bit surprised by some of the figures, and no it's not the end all, be all for judging cornerback play, but it is a legitimate stat. As I said in my minicamp notes last week, McKelvin is going to need to have a monster camp to crack the starting lineup in the secondary to start the season.

ESPN has a link to the ratings but is for ESPN Insiders which I am not a member of.
                  And this would be why I was against drafting CB in the first round.
                  The Bills needed a pass rush, not CB.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                    And this would be why I was against drafting CB in the first round.
                    The Bills needed a pass rush, not CB.
                    a great db unit will produce coverage sacks for our "high motor" DE's
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• bigbub2352
                      • Feb 2005

This is why i argued so strongly in the weeks coming up to the draft about not goin DB, i would have rather gone WR, or OLine, i liked Greer and McGee and think the biggest problem with coverage last year came from not having any support over the top from the FS, as Leonard was horrible, and Wilson is slow,

I think they are gonna let greer walk next year unfortunalty, cause McKlevin is a starter in this league and is gonna be making to much money to sit next year

All and all we should have one of the best young secondaries in the league next year
                      XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• The Answer
                        The Plagiarist
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by The Spaz

As good as both of them looked at times last year - I still feel that they are both average starters. And if the corpse felt we were set at the position than he wouldn't have signed James and drafted 3 DB's in April.

This tells me that both starting positions are up for grabs.

~The Answer

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                          Unreachable Douche
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                          Great pass rush would help any secondary. The CB's won't have to cover their guys for the 10 seconds it takes the Bills line to get any pressure.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                            Unreachable Douche
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                            This is why i argued so strongly in the weeks coming up to the draft about not goin DB, i would have rather gone WR, or OLine, i liked Greer and McGee and think the biggest problem with coverage last year came from not having any support over the top from the FS, as Leonard was horrible, and Wilson is slow,
                            and the pass rush stunk.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                              Actually, I think it will. There were many times last year where we seem to get to the QB a second or two too late. If coverage holds and the secondary can keep up with close coverage for an extra second or two, that might bode well for our average (and not elite) DEs. Also, they will likely need to spend time double teaming Stroud and McCargo, so everyone else will consistently be one on one...

Comment

Working...
                              X