PDA

View Full Version : If Lynch goes down or is suspended would you feel comfortable with Jackson?

gr8slayer
06-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I ask this because of Lynch and his injury history and the fact that there's a small chance he could lose 2-4 games.

Pinkerton Security
06-18-2008, 01:34 PM
probably not. he seems like a pretty capable backup, but thats as far as i would go. situational guys are situational guys for a reason, though I guess you just never know.

would feel 300 times more comfortable with lynch as our RB though.

DraftBoy
06-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Nope but thats why we drafted Oman.

TigerJ
06-18-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm OK with Lynch missing a couple games, but more than that makes me nervous. I hope this business over the hit and run is completely settled well before the season begins so that if things go badly for Lynch, the Bills have time to address it before the season starts.

raphael120
06-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Jackson is good, be he doesn't have a "Beast Mode"

OpIv37
06-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Jackson is good, be he doesn't have a "Beast Mode"

Exactly, I think we can expect a solid performance out of Jackson, but he doesn't have the ability to carry the load or break a game open like Lynch does.

hydro
06-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I think we have decent RB depth so Lynch being out a few games wouldn't be terrible but obviously we need beast mode on the field.

DraftBoy
06-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Exactly, I think we can expect a solid performance out of Jackson, but he doesn't have the ability to carry the load or break a game open like Lynch does.
You've seen this when exactly?

hydro
06-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Cincinnati?

gr8slayer
06-18-2008, 02:00 PM
You've seen this when exactly?
Lynch has the ability to hit a home run every time he touches the ball. We just refuse to open up the offense to let it happen.

Captain gameboy
06-18-2008, 02:04 PM
If Lynch is out, I'd look for a four receiver spread offense, and count on not too great a drop off, as long as it didn't go more than two games.

With him in, its entirely different.

PECKERWOOD
06-18-2008, 02:11 PM
I would feel comfortable with Jackson but I would look to add another back to help compliment him and to share the carries with.

DraftBoy
06-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Cincinnati?
29 carries for 153 yards, 1 TD, a 5.3 YPC, and a long run of 56 yards is breaking it open now? Our standards have fallen quite a bit...

DraftBoy
06-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Lynch has the ability to hit a home run every time he touches the ball. We just refuse to open up the offense to let it happen.

Dont see it, he can't out run defenses, I dont think it has anything to do with how open or closes the offense is. Which is fine because he works for our system but I dont see him as a game changing back.

DrGraves
06-18-2008, 02:21 PM
lets just forget the running game, pats dont need it and they seem pretty good

yordad
06-18-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't think he has exactly proved he can be a full time starter, but I am as comfortable with him as anyone. I think he will prove more as time goes on.

patmoran2006
06-18-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm more comfortable with Jackson than I am spending good money on a guy like Shaun Alexander or Travis Henry, both of whom I think are over the hill. I also don't trust Kevin Jones (is he still a FA?)

In fact, I'd be livid, even if Lynch somehow got a full year in jail (never will happen just a hypothetical) and we went out and spent good money at RB on a ALexander or Henry instead of tying up Crowell, Evans and/or Peters.

I don't think Jackson is a 16-game starter in this league; but He's a good change of pace guy, and I think he could carry the burden for a few games if necessary, as showed in our win vs Washington last year.

justasportsfan
06-18-2008, 02:38 PM
29 carries for 153 yards, 1 TD, a 5.3 YPC, and a long run of 56 yards is breaking it open now? Our standards have fallen quite a bit...
I agree. He's been an awsome workhorse but not a game breaker.

PECKERWOOD
06-18-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm more comfortable with Jackson than I am spending good money on a guy like Shaun Alexander or Travis Henry, both of whom I think are over the hill. I also don't trust Kevin Jones (is he still a FA?)

In fact, I'd be livid, even if Lynch somehow got a full year in jail (never will happen just a hypothetical) and we went out and spent good money at RB on a ALexander or Henry instead of tying up Crowell, Evans and/or Peters.

I don't think Jackson is a 16-game starter in this league; but He's a good change of pace guy, and I think he could carry the burden for a few games if necessary, as showed in our win vs Washington last year.

If Lynch got a year in jail, I would hope that we went after a guy like Kevin Jones who I feel, has the most potential of them all. I actually thought he did a very good job in Detroit, their OL just sucked big hairy lion balls.

justasportsfan
06-18-2008, 02:39 PM

I've seen him play like a bowling ball but he hasn't exactly burned anyone.

gr8slayer
06-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Dont see it, he can't out run defenses, I dont think it has anything to do with how open or closes the offense is. Which is fine because he works for our system but I dont see him as a game changing back.
Can't out run defenses? Did you watch him at all at Cal? His speed is the least of his problems.

DraftBoy
06-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Can't out run defenses? Did you watch him at all at Cal? His speed is the least of his problems.

His speed was the question since he's been at Cal, he is not a burner he can not out run defenses, every scouting report on him says this. He has good speed but not great.

gr8slayer
06-18-2008, 03:04 PM
His speed was the question since he's been at Cal, he is not a burner he can not out run defenses, every scouting report on him says this. He has good speed but not great.
You make it sound as if he's Jerome Bettis or something. His speed is just as good as any back in the league. There are very few "burners" in the league that play RB as it is. And his speed at Cal was not in question by many scouts in the circles, his durability was the far bigger issue.

And how can you not recognize that opening up our offense wouldn't improve his play?

DraftBoy
06-18-2008, 03:06 PM
You make it sound as if he's Jerome Bettis or something. His speed is just as good as any back in the league. There are very few "burners" in the league that play RB as it is.

And how can you not recognize that opening up our offense wouldn't improve his play?

No its really not and there isn't much more to really explain on this. He isn't slow but he's not in the top half speed wise either. He can't maintain breakaway runs, he gets caught from behind. Why every scouting report on the guy says this but you maintain they are wrong here is beyond me.

Depends on your definition of opening up, if we are going wide open we'd likely throw more and he'd see less carries, how does that improve his play?

gr8slayer
06-18-2008, 03:09 PM
No its really not and there isn't much more to really explain on this. He isn't slow but he's not in the top half speed wise either. He can't maintain breakaway runs, he gets caught from behind. Why every scouting report on the guy says this but you maintain they are wrong here is beyond me.
Would you like to see real scouting reports on the guy from people who actually have a say in who is drafted? None of them thought his speed was a problem.
Depends on your definition of opening up, if we are going wide open we'd likely throw more and he'd see less carries, how does that improve his play? Play-action passes, screen passes, four wide single back sets, more passes over 10 yards, how can you not see how these things would assist him?

gr8slayer
06-18-2008, 03:10 PM
To get back on topic; I'm surprised at how many people think Jackson can fill the roll.

Al the Bills Fan
06-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Jackson is a solid backup guy, but I would not be comfortable with him being the starter for more then 4 weeks. A four game suspension of Lynch; i'm okay with Jackson & Omon or Wright running by committee. If its longer then we probably need to look at bringing someone in to carry the load.

gr8slayer
06-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Jackson is a solid backup guy, but I would not be comfortable with him being the starter for more then 4 weeks. A four game suspension of Lynch; i'm okay with Jackson & Omon or Wright running by committee. If its longer then we probably need to look at bringing someone in to carry the load.
Yeah, hopefully Wright can step it up this year and start being more of a short yardage guy like we drafted him to be. I'm not sure where Omon fits in to what we are doing but I'm sure they will find something for him; maybe swing passes, or third an occasional third down back role. I'm not familiar with his ability to catch the ball.

gr8slayer
06-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Still looking for something that says his speed is a problem...

Lynch can run with both speed and power, and has soft enough hands to play a part in the passing game if need be. He even threw a touchdown pass during his rookie season, and it's that kind of versatility that helps to set him apart from his peers.

Buffalo placed need over value with this pick. Lynch has shown flashes of developing into a difference maker. He’s big enough to carry a heavy workload and his speed should make him a home-run threat in the NFL.

Marshawn Lynch is one of the strongest running backs in the country with big-play, home run hitting ability every time he toats the rock, and can be a bruising between the tackles runner that is fast enough to take it outside. He is a well-built RB (5'11, 217 lbs) with OUTSTANDING speed (4.37), hands and vision to match. He can take the rock outside or run between the tackles. Something Lynch also possesses is great patience and a burst when he hits the hole. Marshawn is also a more then capable blocker and maybe the best RB (that is draft eligible) catching the ball out of the backfield. He also returns kicks.

If not for Adrian Peterson, more people would be talking about Lynch's rookie season. Lynch had an impressive showing, breaking the 1,000-yard mark despite missing three games because of injury. He also had three 100-yard games and scored seven touchdowns. He didn't do a whole lot as a receiver (17 receptions), but those numbers should increase with experience. Lynch has the hands and ability to post solid receiving totals. Lynch is a great between the tackles runner with big-play ability. He has top speed, especially when he gets in the open field.

POSITIVES: Explosive ball carrier with terrific size and speed. Runs with good lean, has a burst of speed and does not go down without a fight. Makes defenders miss and possesses outstanding open-field skills.

Marshawn Lynch has excellent size and speed for his position, and uses all of his skill all the time. He hits the hole fast and like a hammer, and is very hard to bring down when he hits his stride. Lynch has a quick and hard burst, and seems to be easily able to see cutback lanes as they form. He shows soft hands out of the backfield, and having him as an outlet option will endear him to his quarterback.

"Marshawn is a tremendous all-around football player. He may be the best all-around player that I have ever seen. He can throw it; he can catch it; he can run with it; he can block; he has the size, the strength and the speed. He's got all the tools to be a great back and he continues to mature. He has become more physical. He is a game-breaker; he can make the difference in a game."

Lynch is the total package. He has very good size for a running back, and he is a good interior runner. He attacks the hole, and has the ability to break tackles. Once through the hole, he has the elusiveness to make people miss, and the speed to outrun defenders. Lynch has the big play ability that teams crave, but the steady ability to run between the tackles. He has also shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and make things happen.

He combines a near-perfect mix of run-you-over power and run-around-you speed with vision that has improved as he has become a better student of the game.

Lynch is a strong, slashing runner with enough speed to break long runs. He can catch the football, and he has a nose for the end zone

Your just trying to find something that isn't there. You haven't liked him since we drafted him and that's fine, but speed is not an issue with the guy.

DraftBoy
06-18-2008, 03:32 PM
You know my answer already Id love to but you know some like have been published before. I trust your credibility so if you post it and say its from an NFL scout then Ill believe it to be so.

Mitchy moo
06-18-2008, 03:34 PM
To get back on topic; I'm surprised at how many people think Jackson can fill the roll.

I'm not sure really, I would just prefer for ML to play.

gr8slayer
06-18-2008, 03:40 PM
You know my answer already Id love to but you know some like have been published before. I trust your credibility so if you post it and say its from an NFL scout then Ill believe it to be so.
All that has nothing to do with it. If you are seeing something that I'm not I want to see it. It might help me out in the future; you are literally the first person I've talked to that has said his speed is an issue and I'm curious to know why you think it?

Does he have Jerious Norwood long speed? No, but how many backs do?

BTW, get on AIM sometime tonight, we have "business" to discuss....

justasportsfan
06-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Your just trying to find something that isn't there. You haven't liked him since we drafted him and that's fine, but speed is not an issue with the guy.
I agree , speed is not an issue. Just because he has speed doesn't mean he has breakaway speed.

Until he proves to us on a consistent basis like Adrian Peterson , Lynch IMO hasn't proven enough to be a game breaker.

Can he become one? Sure. The skies the limit when it comes to his potential . Has proven to be one? No. All I saw as an upgrde to Willis (the best rb in the NFL) and that he can run over people :ill:

Don't get me wrong. IMO, he's the best player we've drafted in years. I'm happy he's here. BUt lets make him out to be something he isn't ...YET!!! ;)

DraftBoy
06-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Links?

Come on this is easy we can go back and forth all day with this;

Marshawn Lynch RB 5'11 215 Cal Jr. 4.46
By: Robert Davis
It is tough to find faults in Lynch’s game. He is a very well rounded back. If pressed to come up with something, it’s that he is not a pure burner and is not a massive running back.

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=8&c=1&nid=2611169 -Lists his negative as elusiveness

SI.com one that you used in your defense of his speed, contradicts itself in its negatives, which you leave out conveniently; NEGATIVES: Not overly creative nor is he truly an elusive ball handler. Stands to improve his route-running at receiver.

My own scouting report: http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2007/04/15/billszone_draft_guiderunning_backs.php

Im sorry but Im not buying that he has top speed, he has not shown it at this level nor at the college level for that matter.

DraftBoy
06-18-2008, 03:44 PM
All that has nothing to do with it. If you are seeing something that I'm not I want to see it. It might help me out in the future; you are literally the first person I've talked to that has said his speed is an issue and I'm curious to know why you think it?

Does he have Jerious Norwood long speed? No, but how many backs do?

BTW, get on AIM sometime tonight, we have "business" to discuss....

I didnt claim he had to have Norwood long speed, but I dont like his stride and I dont think he can break long runs. He has a great 10 yard burst and thats what is exceptional but after the 30 yard mark he can be caught.

Ill be on tonight, probably after 7 est.

gr8slayer
06-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Links?

Come on this is easy we can go back and forth all day with this;

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=8&c=1&nid=2611169 -Lists his negative as elusiveness

SI.com one that you used in your defense of his speed, contradicts itself in its negatives, which you leave out conveniently; NEGATIVES: Not overly creative nor is he truly an elusive ball handler. Stands to improve his route-running at receiver.

My own scouting report: http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2007/04/15/billszone_draft_guiderunning_backs.php

Im sorry but Im not buying that he has top speed, he has not shown it at this level nor at the college level for that matter.
Elusiveness and speed don't necessarily equate to the same thing.

I'm not claiming that he's the fastest back in the league, I'm just saying that his speed is a non-issue and far more of a strength than a weakness.

gr8slayer
06-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Now that we have speed out of the way anyone want to argue power? :lol:

justasportsfan
06-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Now that we have speed out of the way anyone want to argue power? :lol:
he does have power, but he doesn't have super power. His car had more damage than the woman. :ill:

Jan Reimers
06-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Oh man, it would be Omon time, baby!

DraftBoy
06-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Oh man, it would be Omon time, baby!

Oman could be a steal!

raphael120
06-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Big long runs isn't Lynch's MO.

It's those busting heads to get that extra yard on 4th and 1, it's punching it into the endzone from the 3 yard line, it's bowling over people from 20 yards out to get a score, it's fighting for those tough yards, grinding it out to get our team into field goal position again and again and again and having our impotent passing offense do nothing with it.

Oaf
06-18-2008, 04:32 PM
It really doesn't matter to me what scouting reports say, from what I saw of Lynch in every game last season, he is not a burner. I don't know where the 4.37 40 time came from, I'm pretty sure that's wrong. I am pretty confident what I saw on draft day was 4.46. I saw other places list him at 4.55.

Anyways, I remember specific instances in the Browns and Ravens where he was run down. And was the Bengals run really a burner or more of a great, heads up elusive play? To me, he's a more powerful version of McGahee who can actually run b/w the tackles, make plays as a reciever, but won't outrun CBs down the sideline either.

If you ask me, his lack of breakaway runs makes his 4.0 yd average EVEN more impressive especially coupled with our popgun passing game.

shelby
06-18-2008, 04:37 PM
i'm not sure Jackson could handle the load alone.

njsue
06-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Action Jackson :up:

yordad
06-19-2008, 10:16 AM
29 carries for 153 yards, 1 TD, a 5.3 YPC, and a long run of 56 yards is breaking it open now? Our standards have fallen quite a bit...Are you saying those are less then average numbers? If he did that every time he would have broke a season wide open. Heck, he would break the record book wide open. I mean, what are your standards for "breaking it open"?

yordad
06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm with Oaf, I don't need a scouting report to tell me Lynch isn't one of the fastest backs. He has alright speed, but it isn't "break away". He could stand to be faster, and if there is a hole in his game, I think that is it.

But, a less predictable offense could give him much more room to roam. It isn't too easy with the D stacking the line w 8 in the box. When those DBs have to respect the pass, Lynch will be elite.

I think Fred "The Gem" Jackson has shown he can start a game and do an awesome job. Whether he can do it consistantly remains to be seen. But, that doesn't mean I don't think he can do it. Just probably not as good as Lynch.

And, O-m-o-n could really be a steal.

I think we will be fine.

Jan Reimers
06-19-2008, 10:49 AM
For everyone who has mentioned him here, his name is spelled O-m-o-n.

DraftBoy
06-19-2008, 11:01 AM
For everyone who has mentioned him here, his name is spelled O-m-o-n.

O-man is cooler though.