PDA

View Full Version : Weathersby Update

Gunzlingr
04-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Weathersby OK after drive-by shooting

April 21, 2003 Print it

DUARTE, Calif. -- NFL draft prospect Dennis Weathersby is expected to make a complete recovery after he was shot in the back in suspected gang-related violence.

The former Oregon State cornerback was in stable condition Monday and was expected to be released from the hospital no later than Wednesday, agent Gary Uberstine said. No surgery was required.

The 22-year-old player has no history of legal problems or gang affiliation, Uberstine said.

"I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I feel fine," Weathersby said Monday. "I'm lucky. The Lord has a reason for everything and this must be part of his plan for me."

He was hit by a single bullet, which entered his back below his lungs, exited his torso and then struck his left arm.

"After speaking with his doctors, we are expecting a complete and speedy recovery," said Uberstine, whose client has been projected as a first- or second-round selection in this week's NFL draft.

Weathersby was getting into his car Sunday when several alleged gang members in a white sport utility vehicle drove up and opened fire, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said. There were no arrests, sheriff's officials said.

Weathersby, who graduated from Oregon State after last season, was in his hometown of Duarte, a Los Angeles suburb

MORE (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20030421/469897.html)

The Spaz
04-21-2003, 04:25 PM
I just posted this in the original Weathersby thread! Go Bills!