PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that feels like playoffs are a must this year?!

HHURRICANE
06-19-2008, 01:01 PM
I really will be pissed with us not making the playoffs this year.

Are people going to be happy around here with a potential 9-7 season??

How ticked off should we be?

yordad
06-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Didn't you say the Bills and playoffs don't belong in the same sentence?

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=152514

It is like you want us to get mad about missing the playoffs before the season even begins.

I think we will make it. I would be sad if we didn't. But right now, I'm mostly smiles.

HHURRICANE
06-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Didn't you say the Bills and playoffs don't belong in the same sentence?

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=152514

I think we have a 9-7 roster.

THATHURMANATOR
06-19-2008, 01:06 PM
I really want them to that is for sure!

yordad
06-19-2008, 01:10 PM
I think we have a 9-7 roster.OK. But isn't a little early to let the disappointment begin?

justasportsfan
06-19-2008, 01:11 PM
OK. But isn't a little early to let the disappointment begin?
its never too early to predict the sky is falling.

HHURRICANE
06-19-2008, 01:17 PM
OK. But isn't a little early to let the disappointment begin?

It's not disappointment, it's expectations.

Should we expect a playoff team this year? Is it fair?

IMO, I think we have been patient long enough. IMO.

yordad
06-19-2008, 01:18 PM

IMO, I think we have been patient long enough. IMO.So, you want to expect it, but your ticked that you don't?

justasportsfan
06-19-2008, 01:20 PM
he expects this line-up to finish 9-7 but he sees how we can beat the PAts and win the AFCE with this line-up.

:smoke:

acehole
06-19-2008, 01:25 PM
I really will be pissed with us not making the playoffs this year.

Are people going to be happy around here with a potential 9-7 season??

Pissed every year...this year will be no diff.

However this team on paper is
one of the better ones we have had in a while.

Offense has to produce more pionts.

I dont know how far you go up from worst offense.
But one more td from the offense last year in each
game and we win a ton more games.

This year truly depends on the QB/offense output improving.... a lot.

Philagape
06-19-2008, 01:27 PM
9-7 is the bare minimum I want. If they go 9-7, I won't call for heads to roll. That would be progress.
A lot also depends on who gets re-signed and how they use the $30-million-plus that's available. If Evans is locked up and Peters is happy, we're in decent shape for the next two years contract-wise.

justasportsfan
06-19-2008, 01:28 PM
9-7 is the bare minimum I want. If they go 9-7, I won't call for heads to roll. That would be progress.
A lot also depends on who gets re-signed and how they use the $30-million-plus that's available. If Evans is locked up and Peters is happy, we're in decent shape for the next two years contract-wise.
OP was right, our standards have dropped.

FlyingDutchman
06-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Dude this is like your 5th thread about are we going to make the playoffs or not in the last month. Youre driving yourself insane. Its June.

HHURRICANE
06-19-2008, 01:33 PM
he expects this line-up to finish 9-7 but he sees how we can beat the PAts and win the AFCE with this line-up.

:smoke:

Yes, if the Pats don't recover psychologically from last season than yes this roster could win the AFC East.

However, if you want my best guess than it's 9-7.

A diviiosn championship and 9-7 are within 2 games of eachother. Not that difficult to figure out.

Why don't you try writing your own thread?

raphael120
06-19-2008, 01:35 PM
If we don't get to the playoffs after our 3-year rebuilding process, then what was our goal 3 years ago? To just have a winning record? **** NO!

I want playoffs, anything less than playoffs and I won't be happy and I won't be confident that we have the right people in charge of this team.

Even the Jets went to the playoffs as recently as '05. We consistantly OWN them.

TacklingDummy
06-19-2008, 01:36 PM

Not much. My expectations are not that high to begin with.

TacklingDummy
06-19-2008, 01:36 PM
If we don't get to the playoffs after our 3-year rebuilding process, then what was our goal 3 years ago?

3 years? Seems like 10.

justasportsfan
06-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Yes, if the Pats don't recover psychologically from last season than yes this roster could win the AFC East

However, if you want my best guess than it's 9-7don't recover then that . You mean the pats are sensitive and are psychologically weak that they may not recover ? :roflmao:

Our season depends on what others do and not what we do?

A diviiosn championship and 9-7 are within 2 games of eachother. Not that difficult to figure out. So if we win the division with 11-5 , you were right. If we lend up with 7-9 you were also right because they are 2 games apart from 9-7?

Why don't you try writing your own thread? BZ does not need anymore of my crappy threads. We have you for that.

OpIv37
06-19-2008, 01:43 PM

well, it's a bit of a loaded question.

Honestly, this is the 3rd rebuilding cycle we've been in since the playoff drought started. Guys the current FO drafted are coming into their third year. The FO has had 3 complete off seasons to build their roster and their coaching staff. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect playoffs at this point. Fans have been plenty patient and enough is enough.

However, that being said, I look at our roster and I just don't see it. Our WR's are scary bad. Evans is the real deal, Hardy should be good but is just a rookie. Reed and Parrish have their moments but also have their drawbacks. Our TE's may be the worst in the league. Our QB is inexperienced and ended last season poorly. Our OL still can't prove they can run block. Our D looks better on paper, but we've looked better on paper before and it didn't get us anywhere.

So, given the amount of time this FO has had to get it right, I think we should expect playoffs. But given the actual condition of the roster, I don't think this team is capable of making the playoffs.

TedMock
06-19-2008, 01:44 PM
This is year 3 of the new regime. That's where I think we should make the biggest strides. So, yes, we should be a playoff team this year.

If we stay healthy, there is no reason this team can't surprise a few people and sneak in.

OpIv37
06-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Yes, if the Pats don't recover psychologically from last season than yes this roster could win the AFC East.

The Pats will recover. They ALWAYS do. We may as well just accept the fact that they'll be kicking our ass at least until Brady and Bellicheck are out of the league.

OpIv37
06-19-2008, 01:46 PM
This is year 3 of the new regime. That's where I think we should make the biggest strides. So, yes, we should be a playoff team this year.

If we stay healthy, there is no reason this team can't surprise a few people and sneak in.

yeah there is- No TE, only one proven WR, inexperienced QB, inexperienced OC.

TedMock
06-19-2008, 02:20 PM
yeah there is- No TE, only one proven WR, inexperienced QB, inexperienced OC.

and despite struggling statistically last year when they were still able to stay in most games and played admirably. Those on the team last year should improve. The defense should be better and the QB has more experience than he had a year ago. He should be better as well. The WR's are still slightly in question. We obviously have a good No.1, despite what some say, Josh Reed is a decent slot WR and Roscoe Parrish is that "other" WR who adds a little excitement. We do lack a No.2 and we can only hope that Hardy either fills that void or plays well enough as a 3 to add a few TD's. I'm not overly concerned there. We need 700 yards and a few TD's from the 2. The TE position is definitely a question mark though. The OC doesn't concern me at all. The last two were so bad that there is no possible way the playcalling could ever be worse. 10-6, wildcard.

On a side note - there's something intriguing about Steve Johnson too. Not that he'll be a No. 1, or anything like that, but he seems to be turning some heads right now. Maybe a contributor down the road. Still way to early to know though.

User Manuel
06-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Absolutely, this team is portraying itself a s a playoff team and it needs to follow up. Another failure and then things will start getting ugly, starting with Jauron.

OpIv37
06-19-2008, 02:28 PM
and despite struggling statistically last year when they were still able to stay in most games and played admirably. Those on the team last year should improve. The defense should be better and the QB has more experience than he had a year ago. He should be better as well. The WR's are still slightly in question. We obviously have a good No.1, despite what some say, Josh Reed is a decent slot WR and Roscoe Parrish is that "other" WR who adds a little excitement. We do lack a No.2 and we can only hope that Hardy either fills that void or plays well enough as a 3 to add a few TD's. I'm not overly concerned there. We need 700 yards and a few TD's from the 2. The TE position is definitely a question mark though. The OC doesn't concern me at all. The last two were so bad that there is no possible way the playcalling could ever be worse. 10-6, wildcard.

On a side note - there's something intriguing about Steve Johnson too. Not that he'll be a No. 1, or anything like that, but he seems to be turning some heads right now. Maybe a contributor down the road. Still way to early to know though.

My concern is that we'll keep Reed or Parrish over Johnson. Reed is a #3 at best, and Parrish has skills after the catch but his size makes it difficult to get him the ball. He's really only effective in open spaces. But for some reason, the Bills have been high on Reed for the last 3 coaches and 2 GM's. Johnson definitely has his work cut out for him, but those two have their limitations.

OpIv37
06-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Absolutely, this team is portraying itself a s a playoff team and it needs to follow up. Another failure and then things will start getting ugly, starting with Jauron.

Jauron will get a pass if this team is 7-9 or better. He won't get fired unless we completely tank the entire season.

Ed
06-19-2008, 02:39 PM
It really all depends how things play out. We don't know what's going to happen with Lynch. We have a 2nd year qb with about half a season of playing experience. A rookie OC. We can't predict injuries. There are too many factors to realisitically determine what's exceptable right now and what isn't.

It's possible we could go 9-7 and make the playoffs or go 10-6 and miss the playoffs.

If playoffs are a must and we fall short of the playoffs again, what's the solution? Fire the front office and coaching staff right as the core of our team is hitting its prime? Install all new schemes? Gut the team?

TedMock
06-19-2008, 02:44 PM
My concern is that we'll keep Reed or Parrish over Johnson. Reed is a #3 at best, and Parrish has skills after the catch but his size makes it difficult to get him the ball. He's really only effective in open spaces. But for some reason, the Bills have been high on Reed for the last 3 coaches and 2 GM's. Johnson definitely has his work cut out for him, but those two have their limitations.

I completely agree with you as far as Parrish and Reed are concerned. Parrish is always going to be the excitement factor that we use now and then on a situational basis - at least that's what I think. Of course, he is a valuable return guy. Reed is a pretty good guy to have in the slot. He does seem to make big catches underneath, he's tough to bring down and he's good in the running game. Having said that - he's a good #3, not a #2. Johnson will have to come on special teams first a la Sam Aiken. Hopefully Johnson proves to be far more of a WR than Aiken was. Aiken was a good ST'er though. Johnson could take snaps from Reed and/or Parrish, and it could depend on field situations. They'll all be in the organization this year.

HHURRICANE
06-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Our season depends on what others do and not what we do?

So if we win the division with 11-5 , you were right. If we lend up with 7-9 you were also right because they are 2 games apart from 9-7?

BZ does not need anymore of my crappy threads. We have you for that.

Yes, the Pats have to have a bad year. Reality sucks so don't shoot the messenger. Our roster on paper isn't better than the Pats.

Are you just frustrated that I end up right more times than not? Are you still missing Spikes, geez?

Where did I say 7-9?

I said 9-7 but 2 more wins could get us a AFC East title.

justasportsfan
06-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Yes, the Pats have to have a bad year. Reality sucks so don't shoot the messenger. Our roster on paper isn't better than the Pats. .
where did I say our roster was better. You're the one who can't make up your mind, we're mediocre but we can beat the best team in recent history if the tsunami hits Gillette stadium.

Yeah the PAts are still crying over last year. This isn't figure skating.

Are you just frustrated that I end up right more times than not? Are you still missing Spikes, geez?. :lmao: What the hell does spikes have to do with this? Na, I just love laughing at your posts.

Where did I say 7-9?

I said 9-7 but 2 more wins could get us a AFC East title.and if they do , you were right?

njsue
06-21-2008, 05:42 AM
I strongly believe this bills team can start breathing down NE's back. :snicker:

Historian
06-21-2008, 06:02 AM
I think the receiving corps is one of the strengths of the team OP, I really do.

The key is getting the right player in the right situation, or the right matchup.

I would really like to see a TE emerge from the pack this year.

I was watching the '86 opener a couple days ago, and the first thing that immediately stands out is how many times Kelly dumped off to Metzellaars, which kept the chains moving.

HHURRICANE
06-21-2008, 07:12 AM
It's possible we could go 9-7 and make the playoffs or go 10-6 and miss the playoffs.

If playoffs are a must and we fall short of the playoffs again, what's the solution? Fire the front office and coaching staff right as the core of our team is hitting its prime? Install all new schemes? Gut the team?

Great post and good points to ponder.

It would really be hard to be ticked at a team that wins 10 games and doesn't make the playoffs. We might not like it but, yes, it would be unfair to go looking for heads to roll.

Cntrygal
06-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Why of course you are!

justasportsfan
06-21-2008, 10:21 AM
why is it a concern? If Johnson can't beat out either Reed or Parrish inspite of their limitations then Johnson must have some bigger problems.

raphael120
06-21-2008, 10:39 AM

Unless something changes drastically, this franchise has been notorious for never even trying out it's players who did well in training camp, etc, unless they absolutely needed to.

Take for example Greer and Fred Jackson. Fred Jackson was never used until Lynch went down and Jackson shined. Same with Greer, he definitely is showing in training camp that he is going to be tough to wrestle the starting CB spot away from.

But not once did you see Scott Mayle catch a pass, or even Sam Aiken when we had him. Our 5th WR is never utilized and very little are our WR's used in situational plays, nor are our RB's used in the passing game. Now i know what youre going to say "Well we got the new OC who said that he's going to change that." Yeah well thats fine and good, but ive been falling for the same lip service season after season and have seen nothing different. It's still a sputtering, uncreative, predictable offense that has Jaurons fingerprints all over it. And guess what, Jauron is still head coach and he's still calling the shots, so I will believe it when I see it. I highly doubt Stevie Johnson gets more than 5 receptions all year long.

!Papacrunk!
06-21-2008, 10:42 AM
It would be a huge disappointment (obviously for Bills fans) if they didn't make the playoffs:

they've built a young defense that seemed to have really gelled together with a promising LB in Pos

a young offense that started to make some strides with a very expensive O-line, a new QB, talented RB, and possibly another talented WR

if they can duplicate their intensity from the Cowboys game, it'd be quite the surprise if they didn't get to the playoffs, it could even get to the point where they would have no excuse (outside of the big bad Pats) to not get there

HHURRICANE
06-21-2008, 03:01 PM
It would be a huge disappointment (obviously for Bills fans) if they didn't make the playoffs:

they've built a young defense that seemed to have really gelled together with a promising LB in Pos

a young offense that started to make some strides with a very expensive O-line, a new QB, talented RB, and possibly another talented WR

if they can duplicate their intensity from the Cowboys game, it'd be quite the surprise if they didn't get to the playoffs, it could even get to the point where they would have no excuse (outside of the big bad Pats) to not get there

This when I get nervous. Even other team's fans think that we should be able to make the playoffs.

If we win 7 games I think this franchise is toast. This is a make or break for numerous reasons.

OpIv37
06-21-2008, 03:48 PM
why is it a concern? If Johnson can't beat out either Reed or Parrish inspite of their limitations then Johnson must have some bigger problems.

I think I need to elaborate- if Johnson isn't as good as reed or Parrish, so be it. but my concern is that he may be better and get cut anyway because Parrish contributes on S/T and this FO seems to love Reed even though he's never lived up to his potential.

If Johnson gets cut and ends up on someone else's roster whereas Reed continues his mediocrity and Parrish fails to take pressure off of Evans again, I'm gonna be pissed.

Jan Reimers
06-21-2008, 04:12 PM
I think I need to elaborate- if Johnson isn't as good as reed or Parrish, so be it. but my concern is that he may be better and get cut anyway because Parrish contributes on S/T and this FO seems to love Reed even though he's never lived up to his potential.

If Johnson gets cut and ends up on someone else's roster whereas Reed continues his mediocrity and Parrish fails to take pressure off of Evans again, I'm gonna be pissed.
Op, I have a feeling you'll be pissed, anyway.:dance:

bflojohn
06-21-2008, 04:47 PM
The playoffs in the AFC are a tough fit, but the Bills have some key additions that get me excited going forward. I think Dick Jauron and his staff proved to the fans last year that they can prepare and motivate this team. Anyone who believes this was a 7-9 "worthy" team is dillusional. Points in their favor this year are the schedule and the notion that they couldn't possibly suffer injuries that reached Biblical porportions last year! The major competition for playoff positioning is between the Bills, Browns, Broncos in my opinion and my understanding is the Browns have a mean schedule in 2008. The Broncos are where DT's go to die, so I'm going to assume that they will sustain their recent fate of being highly inconsistent. I will say that the Bills front office/coaching staff is out of the honeymoon period, and results are to be demanded, unless something catastrophic happens, injury wise. Overall, IF the last two squads can "contend" into December, THIS team is playoff worthy!!!

justasportsfan
06-23-2008, 08:09 AM

so you are worried that our coaches might go with sentimental favorites over the best players? While it may be possible, I doubt it. We dropped Spikes .