PDA

View Full Version : saw a post about steve johnson on another forum

jimbohastle51
06-19-2008, 02:14 PM
i recently saw a posting about someone saying that steve johnson could take josh reeds roster spot on the team this year. figured i would throw my opinion in and let you guys give me yours. first i do believe that steve johnson is thought of highly by the coaching staff and i do think that he has looked in OTA's as if he was a much higher pick than 7th round, i also think he will deffinatly make the team (he is leagues ahead of mayle, and huggins the only think jenkins does better than him is ST but as far as recieving jenkins cant touch him) he also has the size on reed he is over 6'2 reed isnt even 6'0 and he is a leaper and playmaker look at his youtube videos from kentucky, johnson was a stud in the sec. not that reed wasnt but the competition in the past 2 years in the sec has been elite! in closing i do think after what marques colston did in New Orleans no one should rule out a 7th rounder taking a vetrans spot (joe horn was 2wice the reciever reed is and he got canned for colston)but i also think when you have such a young quarterback expirience at WR is everything and reed gives them that so i would look for johnson to challenge reed but finish right after him i see our WR look like this top to bottom: evans (#1)
hardy (our redzone machine)
parrish/reed (depends on formation and what play there running who will be in here)
johnson (suprize rookie who he get some decent chances to showcase himself)
jenkins (ST purposes)
6 total recievers on the 53 man roster, and definatly better than last year. let me know what you guys think?

User Manuel
06-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Seems about right. They may keep an extra one as a hedge on Hardy. They may also snag a late release veteran if the right one came available.

ddaryl
06-19-2008, 03:00 PM
reed has been the bright spot among recievers this offseason during work outs...

and he is a dependable blocker and will catch 30 -50 balls. If anythign it will be another year before Reed is replaced. He is needed on this team. Johnson may have the upside but he is going to need some time.

on top of this Edwards to Reed seem to be the hot tandem thus far. I don't forsee us getting rid of a WR that is in synch with our young QB too quickly

Jan Reimers
06-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Reed is very undervalued by many Bills' fans. He's not a burner, and he dropped some balls early in his career, but he has become a steady receiver with very good RAC ability and great blocking skills.

Captain gameboy
06-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Absolutely.

I'm going Meathead here, but I'll predict that this is Reed's year.

Nothing exceptional, but everything well.

That is Josh Reed.

Mitchy moo
06-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Steve gets to play ST this season, he'll make the team.

yordad
06-19-2008, 11:25 PM
By chance could you provide a link to said youtube videos?

jimbohastle51
06-19-2008, 11:45 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jm_VPjJV_sk&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tj_6OZ7n6ao
the first link is a nice deep ball catch were he beat a corner and a saftey and broke a tackle to get a TD and the second is a really nice bit on him and shows his measurables off. if you type steve johnson into youtube and watch some of the team highlights of him from games you'll see he i sick!

TigerJ
06-20-2008, 11:58 AM
I think there is a pretty good chance the Bills keep 6 receivers this year. If they do, Johnson is a shoe-in to make the roster. If the Bills keep just 5, he still is a pretty good chance to make the roster, but Jenkins would be the odd man out. Johnson is bigger and more physical than Jenkins. If Johnson can play special teams, it's a done deal. Jenkins' only shot is if Johnson is a special teams chump.

TedMock
06-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Four wide!

Oaf
06-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Six wide!

Fowler sucks. :mad:

Bert102176
06-23-2008, 02:06 AM
I think we'll keep 6 wr's this year

Typ0
06-23-2008, 05:31 AM
I can see Reed fading as the offense gets better. A marginal team makes marginal players look competent. I hope we start to look better and get better talent.

jamze132
06-23-2008, 07:37 AM
We need to keep Reed for his veteran presence in the clubhouse. And not to mention he is probably the best blocker of all the WRs on our team. I am very intrigued by Steve Johnson but I don't think Reed's position on this team is in jeopardy because of him.

mysticsoto
06-23-2008, 07:52 AM
I have to say that with all the talk of Steve Johnson, he's one of the top people I want to observe in TC! I think that considering how weak our WR corps is, him stepping it up can easily gain him a high position in the WR rankings. I am looking forward to see all the "potential" that everyone seems to be mentioning with him...

HHURRICANE
06-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Three thoughts/questions:

1) Reed always looks good in camp but last year he didn't get open alot which is his biggest problem. He's been reliable but he's not a great route runner.

2) Johnson looks good because we are desperate. Is he fast? That video of his TD catch looked like molasses.

3) The guy that needs to step up early is Hardy. If he doesn't, it's going to another long year on offense. His height and size should help him double as the TE that we didn't get.

justasportsfan
06-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Three thoughts/questions:

1) Reed always looks good in camp but last year he didn't get open alot which is his biggest problem. .
tell that to both JP and Trent. They both went to Reed when they needed to convert 3rd downs. Besides, it's already been stated, he doesn't always get open because he's busy blocking for someone else to get open.

HHURRICANE
06-23-2008, 09:12 AM
tell that to both JP and Trent. They both went to Reed when they needed to convert 3rd downs. Besides, it's already been stated, he doesn't always get open because he's busy blocking for someone else to get open.

I agree with your post.

If Reed was a better receiver would they have him in blocking? Seems like the Bills have too many guys that aren't good enough for their primary job. Robert Royal is another one.

Reed was supposed to be a #2 WR when we got him. He certainly hasn't lived up to that billing.

He does get too much criticism because he has been clutch on many 3rd downs.

justasportsfan
06-23-2008, 09:27 AM
I agree with your post.

If Reed was a better receiver would they have him in blocking? Seems like the Bills have too many guys that aren't good enough for their primary job. Robert Royal is another one.

Reed was supposed to be a #2 WR when we got him. He certainly hasn't lived up to that billing.

He does get too much criticism because he has been clutch on many 3rd downs.
Reed was a slot wr when we got him. He was behind Moulds and Price. THey tried to make him a no.2 but he just wasn't fast enough plus he was a victim of an ever changing sytem and qb carousel.

I would love to see him this year w/ Trent as the qb. Reed will be very important to Trent while he is trying to gain chemistry with both Lee and Hardy. He doesn't have to with Reed . If teams end up having to cover both Lee and Hardy, you will see Reed get more open in the slot and I am almost sure Trent will find him as a third option or when he needs to checkdown. Reed falls perfectly in Dicks favorite type of O, ball control.

Now if Trent can also find another outlet like a TE or rb in the passing game, look for Reed to even be dangerous. I know it's a pipe dream but if that happens, teams may have to pick their poison.

Lee, HArdy , Josh/Parrish/Johnson ,TE and Lynch/Jackson.

Dujek
06-23-2008, 09:33 AM
I think both guys make the team.

Johnson looks like the sort of player who makes plays beyond his supposed talent level, while Reed will always be a safe check-down receiver for a young QB.

HHURRICANE
06-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Lee, HArdy , Josh/Parrish/Johnson ,TE and Lynch/Jackson.

Who or what is TE? The tight end we don't have? That's what scares me.

justasportsfan
06-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Who or what is TE? The tight end we don't have? That's what scares me.I hear ya. Wish I had a name for ya! So far based on Ota's ,Shoumans name seems to have popped up a lot. BUt unfortunately, they're just OTA's . We'll see who steps up when the pads come on .

jimbohastle51
06-24-2008, 12:46 AM
i pray a decent TE is a cap casualty or we make a trade for a decent starter who can fill in till next year i definatly think if things go decent this year for the team we can all agree that TE will be our first round pick next year. if i acutally thought the jets would trade within the division i would be all about getting chris baker (young, talented, and a star in the right situation) chances of that are slim to none so we have to hope for like crumpler to get beat out by scaife in tennesse or alex smith to get released for troupe in TB. i hope that we dont go into the season with just what we have at TE none are starting NFL material, royal is a decent blocker but fine is undersized and schouman was a 7th round pick and i would rather but my eggs in a vet than him. we should have kept gaines what were we thinking he got backup money in detroit too?!? easily could have kept him.

Mad Max
06-24-2008, 01:13 AM
....he seemed to come up big in big games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/142901

He had 6 or more receptions against Georgia, Tennessee,Florida, Florida State, LSU, and Arkansas. He had 13 TD's total (only 3 less than Hardy, while playing a tougher schedule).

Does any of it translate to the Show? Who knows, but the numbers suggest that a translation is certainly possible.