PDA

View Full Version : Do the Bills realy need a verbal leader?

X-Era
06-19-2008, 07:26 PM
I have been a huge fan of us adding a verbal guy to blast players who are slacking.

But consider this article:

ROSS TAKES SWIPE AT SANDERS (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/19/ross-takes-swipe-at-sanders/)

Posted by Mike Florio on June 19, 2008, 10:13 a.m.
Though it feels like ancient history, it wasn’t that long ago that Lions running back Barry Sanders shocked the football world by retiring from the game of football.
Sanders, who was on track to shatter the all-time career rushing record (and possibly to set the bar so high that no one could ever get close enough to sniff it), walked away not long before the start of training camp in 1999. While Sanders’ father made it known that Barry didn’t like how coach Bobby Ross ran the team, Sanders never pointed a finger at Ross.
Recently, Ross pointed a finger at Sanders.
“I don’t know if Barry really loved the game (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080619/SPORTS01/80619013/1049), but he worked hard at it,” Ross said. ”He did what he was supposed to do. I always wanted him to be a leader, but he didn’t really want that role.”
How can Ross say Sanders wasn’t a leader? Though Sanders likely never grabbed teammates by the face masks or rambled in a pre-game meeting about the importance of kicking the crap out of the opponent, Barry Sanders provided the textbook definition of leading by example.
He was quiet, he was humble. He didn’t draw attention to himself with words, but with his actions on the field. Not by prancing, dancing, or preening after running for a first down. By displaying his God-given ability, handing the ball to the official, and jogging back to the huddle for the next play.
So maybe Sanders didn’t “love” football to the point that he was willing to expose himself to repeated physical poundings deep into his 30s, or to the point that he was willing to make a public ass out of himself by demanding a trade to a contending team. So what? That was his prerogative. And, sure, losing Sanders made it harder for Ross to keep his job. But to suggest that Sanders wasn’t a leader unfairly detracts from one of the greatest men to ever play the game.

How does this apply to the bills?

yordad
06-19-2008, 11:23 PM
It applies just enough to get moved.

BillsPride12
06-21-2008, 10:31 PM
No they don't, because we already have one in Donte Whitner...if you've gotten to see any clips from our games from last season when he was miked up the dude straight up breaths fire.

LABillsFan
06-21-2008, 11:58 PM
I think the Bills are going to have a few vocal leaders this upcoming season. Mitchel, Whitner, Edwards will take more of a leadership role.

HHURRICANE
06-22-2008, 08:40 AM
The Bills lack leadership.

Would you want to be the one to piss off Jim Kelly or Bruce Smith?

Which team mate on this current roster is going to chew you out for running the wrong route or missing an assignment.

I think Poz could be that guy on D down the road but not this year.

On offense I don't see it.

This is a problem for this team.

mikemac2001
06-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Man i love Barry....miss watching him

Jan Reimers
06-22-2008, 09:21 AM
I think Royal and Kelsay are already team leaders, along with Whitner. Poz also has potential, but he may be a quieter, lead-by-example guy. I even think Butler has a chance.

I just don't want an idiotic, over-the-top Ray Lewis type.

John Doe
06-22-2008, 01:59 PM
I think Royal and Kelsay are already team leaders, along with Whitner. Poz also has potential, but he may be a quieter, lead-by-example guy. I even think Butler has a chance.

When you put an emphasis on acquiring high character/high effort players like the Bills have, you don't really need the "in your face" type of leader to motivate players. The majority of the players on the team know know what accoutability is.

In addition to what Jan has mentioned, I think that Lynch already is a leader in spite of his personal blunder this spring. The offensive line is motivated to hold their blocks as long as possible because they know that Lynch is going to scrap, claw, and sacrifice his body for any inch that he can get.

Stroud is another guy that is mentioned as a great influence on his team mates because of his work ethic.

Even a guy like George Wilson has been praised as being a great team player because he will do anything to help win.

Out of the new draft picks, the guy that stands out leadership-wise is Derek Fine. He was team captain for 2 years and co-MVP of the special teams. He actually had the reputation of getting on guys who were not as focused as they should be.

BillsPride12
06-22-2008, 03:04 PM

I agree, we all saw how far we went with Takeo Spikes dancing around like a fool all the time. Don't get me wrong I liked Takeo, but I could've done without all his lame dances and he talked to much about being one of the greatest defenses of all-time and stuff, it was just like c'mon man just play the game, let the accolades take care of itself.