PDA

View Full Version : I will ditch the Bills if this happens!

X-Era
06-19-2008, 07:50 PM
I dont usually play into the "Bills are leaving" concept because I just dont think it will really happen.

However, this is a version that would make sense for a small market team:

"If the options for the Western New York community is to not have the Bills at all -- which is a real possibility when Ralph dies -- might we not want to cut our losses now and look at a split season?" former Erie County executive Joel Giambra asked. "Maybe the first half of the season is played here, because of the weather, and the second half in Canada because of the dome. It's an hour-and-a-half away. It's not like you have to get in a plane to go there."

To me the team is basically disowning its hometown. Yes they would be "sharing" the Bills, but thats not the same philosophically as saying they are the true BUFFALO Bills, the only team playing in NY. They represent my way of life, to me, not the ****ing Canadians.

That version, is more than I could handle. Have a game or even two per year in Toronto? yeah thats fun, send half the games Toronto every year? they are part owners and I cant stand that thought.

I would reluctantly find a new team at that point.

As ******ed as it sounds, I would be more likely to root for the Bills if they up and moved to another city than if they went down this "sharing" version.

HHURRICANE
06-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Wow. Let's rape and kill the villagers while were at it.

Would Buffalo ever win a franchise in today's market? Never. So you are going to piss and moan about sharing the team with another city?

X-Era
06-19-2008, 08:02 PM

Would Buffalo ever win a franchise in today's market? Never. So you are going to piss and moan about sharing the team with another city?

YEP!

Nighthawk
06-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Umm, no way I support something like this. There is NO NEED to split the season with Toronto. The Bills are Buffalo's and always should be!

MikeInRoch
06-19-2008, 08:16 PM
No need? So you think a franchise could survive in Buffalo? I don't think the economics agree with you...

Devin
06-19-2008, 11:10 PM
I guess it beats them leaving completley.

DrGraves
06-19-2008, 11:25 PM
i know it would suck if that happened, but one would really need to question their fanhood if ythey couldnt call yourself a bills fan anymore...

at least if this happened there would be ALOT more money, fans, and overall football relevancy for the franchise.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-19-2008, 11:57 PM
I dont usually play into the "Bills are leaving" concept because I just dont think it will really happen.

"If the options for the Western New York community is to not have the Bills at all -- which is a real possibility when Ralph dies -- might we not want to cut our losses now and look at a split season?" former Erie County executive Joel Giambra asked. "Maybe the first half of the season is played here, because of the weather, and the second half in Canada because of the dome. It's an hour-and-a-half away. It's not like you have to get in a plane to go there."

To me the team is basically disowning its hometown. Yes they would be "sharing" the Bills, but thats not the same philosophically as saying they are the true BUFFALO Bills, the only team playing in NY. They represent my way of life, to me, not the ****ing Canadians.

That version, is more than I could handle. Have a game or even two per year in Toronto? yeah thats fun, send half the games Toronto every year? they are part owners and I cant stand that thought.

As ******ed as it sounds, I would be more likely to root for the Bills if they up and moved to another city than if they went down this "sharing" version.

and almost the same thing was said by Erie County Executive Collins today on the news,

Ever since Ralph Wilson uttered these words: "I can't speculate what's going to happen in the future," during a news conference announcing that the Bills would play one regular season game in Toronto for the next five years, Bills fans have been worried that it was just the first step toward the team moving lock, stock and shoulder pads to Toronto.

Now, Erie County Executive Collins says upon Mr. Wilson's passing, he expects the team's new owner, whether it's someone from Buffalo or Rogers Communications, will move even more games to Toronto.

"If we have half, or more of the games here in Buffalo, given the financial realities of the NFL, I would consider that a win," says Collins.

Scott Brown: "It seems like you're saying half a loaf may be better than none when it comes to the Bills?"

Collins: "Whether it's four, five or six games at the Ralph, I think we'd be very glad to have that."

Brown: "Do you think that's going to be a tough pill for Bills fans to swallow?"

Collins: "I don't think so because the reality of them leaving the area has everyone scared to death."
http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=58769&catid=37

video
http://www.wgrz.com/video/vplayer.aspx?aid=45375

djjimkelly
06-20-2008, 01:00 AM

good take edwards with u

X-Era
06-20-2008, 06:01 AM
i know it would suck if that happened, but one would really need to question their fanhood if ythey couldnt call yourself a bills fan anymore...

at least if this happened there would be ALOT more money, fans, and overall football relevancy for the franchise.

My fanhood cant be questioned. Im a die hard BUFFALO Bills fan. If it becomes the Buffonto Bills, then thats a new team IMO.

No different than the Browns fans, did they become Ravens fans?

Jan Reimers
06-20-2008, 07:11 AM
I don't understand all of the BS about the Bills struggling financially. They have the 8th or 9th highest net revenue in the league, meaning they are one of the top teams financially.

Your ire should be directed at Ralph Wilson, Jr., who never misses a chance to cry about the Bills' finances, and continually makes negative and disparaging remarks about Buffalo and WNY. His stated commitment to sell the Bills to the highest bidder is the reason the team will likely move, NOT its financial condition.

Typ0
06-20-2008, 07:28 AM
I don't understand all of the BS about the Bills struggling financially. They have the 8th or 9th highest net revenue in the league, meaning they are one of the top teams financially.

Your ire should be directed at Ralph Wilson, Jr., who never misses a chance to cry about the Bills' finances, and continually makes negative and disparaging remarks about Buffalo and WNY. His stated commitment to sell the Bills to the highest bidder is the reason the team will likely move, NOT its financial condition.

don't forget the team does not have any debt and that's why they have high revenues. If the team is able to continue to get the government to pay for their debt maybe they can stay there but it's just not realistic. I don't think the fact that the net revenues are high compared to some other teams is such an important indicator of financial stability as you say. Instead, we need to look at cash flows to really understand the value of the team and it's long term viability in this market and the cash flows are just not there in WNY like they are in other markets. Say RWS is great all you want...it already is just about the worst NFL stadium in the league and the way they are being built now our stadium is a slum.

Jan Reimers
06-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Whatever. . .

Buy into the negative BS all you want. This team does NOT have to move. The 72,000 fans who pack the place for every game don't seem to mind that RWS is simply a football stadium and not a mega-sports-entertainment-Taj Mahal, as are being built in New Jersey and Dallas.

And Erie County and the state will continue to pay for renovations, maintenance, etc. It is in their best interest to keep the Bills.

I just don't buy into all the dire straits/what might happen eventually crap that all the doomsayers are spreading. The team is in good shape now and for the immediate future.

Bulldog
06-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Whatever. . .

Buy into the negative BS all you want. This team does NOT have to move. The 72,000 fans who pack the place for every game don't seem to mind that RWS is simply a football stadium and not a mega-sports-entertainment-Taj Mahal, as are being built in New Jersey and Dallas.

And Erie County and the state will continue to pay for renovations, maintenance, etc. It is in their best interest to keep the Bills.

I just don't buy into all the dire straits/what might happen eventually crap that all the doomsayers are spreading. The team is in good shape now and for the immediate future.

Agreed. I go to the Bills games to tailgate, watch some football and enjoy the atmosphere. Let these other teams can have all the bells and whistles they want in their stadiums. At the end of the day, there are very few places that can match the game day experience that the Ralph provides.

Michael82
06-20-2008, 07:45 AM
The fact that the local politicians are already jumping on this bandwagon and basically waving the white flag to Toronto depresses the hell out of me and pisses me off. :mad: :sadwalk:

I'm sorry, but a split season won't work. If they want both pre-season games and 1 regular season game...fine. But it's not the Buffalo Bills anymore if they take half the ****ing season. :mad:

Michael82
06-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Whatever. . .

Great post, Jan! :bf1:

THATHURMANATOR
06-20-2008, 07:49 AM

Yes I would be done with them.

DraftBoy
06-20-2008, 08:21 AM
I would still cheer for them.

As for the Cleveland-Baltimore reference that does not make much sense at all.

THATHURMANATOR
06-20-2008, 08:39 AM
This would free up a lot of money and free time for me!

DraftBoy
06-20-2008, 08:44 AM
This would free up a lot of money and free time for me!

Sounds like a great deal for you then!

THATHURMANATOR
06-20-2008, 08:48 AM
No it would be the worst deal in the history of my life. I am as diehard as they come. I just wouldn't be able to take it anymore. Yes I realize it is all business but that is the exact reason the NFL would be ruined for me.

DraftBoy
06-20-2008, 08:51 AM
No it would be the worst deal in the history of my life. I am as diehard as they come. I just wouldn't be able to take it anymore. Yes I realize it is all business but that is the exact reason the NFL would be ruined for me.

I know you've said this alot already but like you said it would be of great benefit to you with more money to have and more time to yourself. That's a nice tradeoff.

THATHURMANATOR
06-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I know you've said this alot already but like you said it would be of great benefit to you with more money to have and more time to yourself. That's a nice tradeoff.
Yes I guess so. Honestly I would probably get a Sabres 10 pack or something.

Jan Reimers
06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Personally, I don't need more time to myself. I don't even like myself half the time. I love my wife, but I already spend lots of time with her.

I need more time with the Bills and Bills' fans.:bandwagon

raphael120
06-20-2008, 10:21 AM

The NFL is about the almighty dollar, not the fans of Buffalo, or any small market team. The NFL is already a huge corporate powerhouse that makes tons of money, and yet they still want to get even bigger. Perfect example is Douchey McGee aka Jerry Jones and the insane ticket prices for seats in his new stadium. Pretty soon the NFL is going to price out all the middle class/lower class people who were football fans from the start.

What you need to ask yourself is this:

Is half of the Buffalo Bills better than no Buffalo Bills at all?

to be a geek about it, i think it would be like the original star wars trilogy and the new craptastic trilogy. Sure, it's still star wars, but it aint the same and will never live up to the original. but would you rather the newer 3 not have been made at all?

OpIv37
06-20-2008, 10:33 AM

this is the million dollar question.

I honestly don't know how I feel about it- it would be embarrassing to have to share our team with another city.

However, I'm starting to think about it like this: If Toronto gets a full-time team, NFL football in Buffalo is dead forever. The region just can't support two teams.

If we share the Bills, there is still a chance the Bills could return to full-time Buffalo status if a) the economy of the area recovers and/or b) the economics of the game change.

It would make me sick to my stomach to have to share the team, but not as sick as losing the team altogether would.

Discussing or even thinking about this stuff depresses the hell out of me.

THATHURMANATOR
06-20-2008, 10:44 AM

To me no. Its just my opinion. I can't expect you to feel the same way but losing half our games to Toronto would completely ruin everything for me. I would be done with it.

raphael120
06-20-2008, 10:56 AM
To me no. Its just my opinion. I can't expect you to feel the same way but losing half our games to Toronto would completely ruin everything for me. I would be done with it.
You know...now that I think about it, it's like having a supermodel wife and yeah, sure, you have a really hot supermodel wife, but the stipulation is, you have to share her with someone else too. Now you might say "well there arent a lot of dudes that have a hot supermodel wife, so even if she spends half her time with me, that's still better than having an ugly chic" meanwhile your friends are lookin at you like "dude, youre a little *****, you have to SHARE your wife, doesn't matter if she's a hot supermodel or not, it's not something to be proud about"

i already get **** from people sayin "dude, buffalo sucks so bad theyre going to go to toronto" blah blah blah...like i didnt get enough **** from the super bowl crap, now this? honestly...there's only so much self torture i can take, and if we do split it 50/50 with toronto, i might as well cheer for another team that I can take FULL ownership of, like the Steelers, at least i grew up in pittsburgh so I can then just cut my losses, but it wont be the same as me rooting for the bills, but then again, i wont have a choice because the Bills will be the Buffalo/Toronto Bills...so either way i get screwed, only thing is is can i detach myself from the bills if they do go with this split game idea...

I say, sure I can...my view of the Bills totally changed when Ralph had that press conference in Toronto a few months ago that in my eyes was a big **** you to buffalo and it's people...sometimes you just have to know when it's time to cut your losses, and I think when it comes down to 50/50, that will be it...we'll never be able to celebrate a Buffalo sports championship...it will be a shared championship...it's not like the Lombardi trophey will be in buffalo the whole time...

ok, im done talkin about it, im getting very pissed off.

THATHURMANATOR
06-20-2008, 10:59 AM
You know...now that I think about it, it's like having a supermodel wife and yeah, sure, you have a really hot supermodel wife, but the stipulation is, you have to share her with someone else too. Now you might say "well there arent a lot of dudes that have a hot supermodel wife, so even if she spends half her time with me, that's still better than having an ugly chic" meanwhile your friends are lookin at you like "dude, youre a little *****, you have to SHARE your wife, doesn't matter if she's a hot supermodel or not, it's not something to be proud about"

i already get **** from people sayin "dude, buffalo sucks so bad theyre going to go to toronto" blah blah blah...like i didnt get enough **** from the super bowl crap, now this? honestly...there's only so much self torture i can take, and if we do split it 50/50 with toronto, i might as well cheer for another team that I can take FULL ownership of, like the Steelers, at least i grew up in pittsburgh so I can then just cut my losses, but it wont be the same as me rooting for the bills, but then again, i wont have a choice because the Bills will be the Buffalo/Toronto Bills...so either way i get screwed, only thing is is can i detach myself from the bills if they do go with this split game idea...

I say, sure I can...my view of the Bills totally changed when Ralph had that press conference in Toronto a few months ago...sometimes you just have to know when it's time to cut your losses, and I think when it comes down to 50/50, that will be it...we'll never be able to celebrate a Buffalo sports championship...it will be a shared championship...it's not like the Lombardi trophey will be in buffalo the whole time...

ok, im done talkin about it, im getting very pissed off.
PERFECT ANALOGY

THATHURMANATOR
06-20-2008, 11:00 AM
With our luck they will do the 50/50 split and then win the Superbowl the next year. The ultimate slap in the face. That would be a worse case Scenario to me.

zone
06-20-2008, 11:47 AM
No, I would not want to share my team with anyone, in the same way that I would not share my wife with anyone.

The Buffalo Bills are WNY.

I just don’t understand why we need to loose the team. I go to other stadiums around the NFL and they are EMPTY. I bought tickets a few years back to the Raiders home opener vs. Buffalo. I bought them at the ticket box, the day of the game 10 rows up near the 50 yard line. This was their home opener! Why aren’t they loosing their team? The Ralf is always packed, just look at the ticket sales for this year.

I wonder if we start winning if it will solve our problems or make them worse? Getting into the playoffs will bring in a ton more revenue, but it will make the team all the more attractive to investors.

Typ0
06-20-2008, 02:21 PM
when we split the schedule with Toronto where are the playoff games going to be held?

THATHURMANATOR
06-20-2008, 02:23 PM
when we split the schedule with Toronto where are the playoff games going to be held?
Who cares?

OpIv37
06-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Toronto.

The league makes more money that way.

OpIv37
06-20-2008, 02:28 PM
one more angle I just thought of...

what about attracting FA's? It's already hard enough to get people to come to Buffalo because of the weather and the lack of national attention (and the reputation the team has for not paying players).

But now the players will have to split their home games between two different stadiums, one of which isn't even in the US? That'll make Buffalo an even tougher sell than it already is.

Historian
06-20-2008, 03:40 PM

I'd be willing to give Toronto every preseason game for the life of the franchise. Real games play here.

I think that would be fair.

X-Era
06-20-2008, 09:59 PM
I would still cheer for them.

As for the Cleveland-Baltimore reference that does not make much sense at all.

It makes sense only from the standpoint that its a team that took the whole team and moved to a new city.

This is NOT the same your right. But what type of ownership can Toronto claim if the games go 50/50? I dont see that we can call this the Buffalo Bills at that point.

Im hung up on the identity. The Bills are the ONLY team to play in NY. They are the blue collar team of choice. If you go sharing them with another city, whats that stand for? What about a whole other country? Im sorry but the USA is where American football was born, I dont want to "lend" my team to some other country to help them realize its awesome.

Furthermore, if they want a franchise, fight for it and buy one.

Historian
06-21-2008, 06:06 AM
How about this:

They leave the Bills alone.

The US gives back The Phoenix Coyotes, and the Colorado Avalance, and rotates a different team (one pre and one reg season game) through Toronto every year.

X-Era
06-21-2008, 09:10 AM
How about this:

They leave the Bills alone.

The US gives back The Phoenix Coyotes, and the Colorado Avalance, and rotates a different team (one pre and one reg season game) through Toronto every year.

THAT is a plan! The problem is the Bills brass would whine about that one. They love having tons of cap room and signing that deal to make even more money.

HHURRICANE
06-22-2008, 08:49 AM
The Bills have to regionalize or they are dead. Keeping the Bills alive with Toronto is better than losing the team completely.

The City of Buffalo and it's corrupt government is to blame for this scenario.

If the region had done what Pittsburgh and Cleveland had done 20 years ago we wouln't even be having this conversation.

I can't even move my business back there because of the loser government. My wife talked directly to the Mayor and he was like "I know". How sad is that.

It's friggin Loserville. When the biggest building in downtown is City Hall than you know there is a problem.

Jan Reimers
06-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Have you been to Buffalo lately, HH? There's quite a bit of new construction, renovations, waterfront development and cultural tourism stuff going on. It's not happening as fast as people would like, but there are good things going on.

I've been to Atlanta several times, and I'm not going to bash your town, but I'd think twice about calling a rising city lake Buffalo, "Loserville."

Typ0
06-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Have you been to Buffalo lately, HH? There's quite a bit of new construction, renovations, waterfront development and cultural tourism stuff going on. It's not happening as fast as people would like, but there are good things going on.

I've been to Atlanta several times, and I'm not going to bash your town, but I'd think twice about calling a rising city lake Buffalo, "Loserville."

I thought we were talking about the stadium though. The stadium is archaic and any cling to it being even serviceable is totally based on blind novelty. Ralph Wilson stadium sucks ass as a venue for anything don't even begin to throw NFL football in there. The worst unfixable part about it is there is only about half the amount of bathroom space it needs. That alone is a complete deal breaker on spending $85 on a ticket.

If the Bills are going to stay then someone has to pony up with a stadium in the next couple years...and all stadiums are being financed by the teams now. Not a good situation.

TedMock
06-23-2008, 08:05 AM
I thought we were talking about the stadium though. The stadium is archaic and any cling to it being even serviceable is totally based on blind novelty. Ralph Wilson stadium sucks ass as a venue for anything don't even begin to throw NFL football in there. The worst unfixable part about it is there is only about half the amount of bathroom space it needs. That alone is a complete deal breaker on spending $85 on a ticket.

If the Bills are going to stay then someone has to pony up with a stadium in the next couple years...and all stadiums are being financed by the teams now. Not a good situation.

This is all true, but there is one thing the Ralph has over any other pro stadium I've been to - it's VERY viewer friendly. I've sat in the very last row of the upper decks and in the very front row between the 20's. My seasons are in the endzone. There is not a bad seat in that entire stadium. There aren't nosebleeds because of its design. FedEx Field in Washington, Giants Stadium, Heinz Field, M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore are all "nicer," but all have some crappy seats. There just aren't any in the Ralph. Of all those (outside of Buffalo) I mentioned, I like the Raven stadium best and thing FedEx is the worst venue I've ever seen. I just wish we could keep the general design, but upgrade some of the terribly outdated aspects.

ddaryl
06-23-2008, 09:11 AM

Well yes, once the team is sold the present financial system for the Bills is scrapped. Wilson payed less then 100K for the team, so he has little overhead...

If Ralph was willing to sell the team to a local buyer at a discount there might be a chance for the Bills to stay solely in Buffalo. But he won't and the NFL would probably forwn upon any owner selling cheap. So in this case we can blame Ralph some.

Just look at this in the reality it is. Money will kill sports. We are getting very close to the tipping point, and it won't be too long now before some major financial problems start to rip these leagues apart. people are giving up on lattes, eating out, and traveling... how much longer before they really start to give up on tickets to go see sports that include parking fees, food, etc... Or how about fans who buy authentic jerseys, shirts and hats etc... those sales are bound to slow massively. How much longer before the people of Dallas start to realize that paying 30K for the right to own season tickets for 30 years was the dumbest financial decisison they ever made.

there is a harsh reality awaiting sports just around the corner IMO... If Ralph lives for another decade the Bills might squeek through this rough patch and come out on the other side of a major financial change in pro sports...

...Then again maybe the sheep keep paying whatever they ask and nothing changes, people lose there homes, there jobs and there ability to retire at a decent age but pay whatever they ask for sports entertainment.

I have ot say that the best deal a Bills fan can hope for from here is a split of games with Toronto. There is no other scenario that works, not unless WNY has the largest financial boom of any major city in America starting immediately

DraftBoy
06-23-2008, 09:14 AM

What part of Atlanta were you in, there are many different sections to it, and if you weren't in the right section you may not have gotten the best experience.

HHURRICANE
06-23-2008, 09:47 AM

Let me start by saying that I love Buffalo more than other place on the planet. Way more than Atlanta. I go to Buffalo twice a year, every year, and now have two employess there so i might be going alot more.

It's not the city, it's the mentality that I was referring to. You just said yourself that it's not happening fast enough and if it had happened 20 years ago we wouldn't be fighting to keep the team here.

I would own a box if my company was there. The problem is that there is no way I could afford to put my company there. The paperwork that needs to get filled out just for one employee is more than any other state. Add the taxes and the lack of economic incentives and now mulitply it by all of the other BS that local gov't brings and it doesn't work.

Michael82
06-23-2008, 04:23 PM
What part of Atlanta were you in, there are many different sections to it, and if you weren't in the right section you may not have gotten the best experience.
you could say the same thing about Buffalo, Rochester or any other city.... :::

Historian
06-24-2008, 10:41 AM
...Then again maybe the sheep keep paying whatever they ask and nothing changes, people lose there homes, there jobs and there ability to retire at a decent age but pay whatever they ask for sports entertainment.

It's funny, but it's true ddaryl.

Setting foot on the OBD campus, is tantamount to visiting Oz.

Normal people of every persuasion are affected by it.

People who live frugally, pay their bills on time, and generally do their best to survive rising interest rates, higher energy prices, etc, get mesmorized to the point where:

They pay 7 or 8 bucks for a bottle of beer, and go back for seconds and thirds.

They pay 275 dollars for a nylon shirt that's probably worth a tenth of that.

They pay 100 bucks for a cotton sweatshirt...or several bucks for a bottle of water and don't think twice about it.

It's quite a phenomenon. Just look at ticket sales this year....especially for a team that hasn't even sniffed the playoffs in almost a decade.

They sure cast a magical spell, don't they?

THATHURMANATOR
06-24-2008, 10:58 AM
The Bills have to regionalize or they are dead. Keeping the Bills alive with Toronto is better than losing the team completely.

The City of Buffalo and it's corrupt government is to blame for this scenario.

If the region had done what Pittsburgh and Cleveland had done 20 years ago we wouln't even be having this conversation.

I can't even move my business back there because of the loser government. My wife talked directly to the Mayor and he was like "I know". How sad is that.

It's friggin Loserville. When the biggest building in downtown is City Hall than you know there is a problem.
Did you know that when City hall was built it was the tallest building in the world?

By the way the HSBC building is bigger than city Hall. EVERYONE knows that.

THATHURMANATOR
06-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Let me start by saying that I love Buffalo more than other place on the planet. Way more than Atlanta. I go to Buffalo twice a year, every year, and now have two employess there so i might be going alot more.

It's not the city, it's the mentality that I was referring to. You just said yourself that it's not happening fast enough and if it had happened 20 years ago we wouldn't be fighting to keep the team here.

I would own a box if my company was there. The problem is that there is no way I could afford to put my company there. The paperwork that needs to get filled out just for one employee is more than any other state. Add the taxes and the lack of economic incentives and now mulitply it by all of the other BS that local gov't brings and it doesn't work.
Some good points. I hope its not too late.... :(

DraftBoy
06-24-2008, 11:08 AM
you could say the same thing about Buffalo, Rochester or any other city.... :::

Not really, maybe any other metropolis but not any other city.