• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

I will ditch the Bills if this happens!

I dont usually play into the "Bills are leaving" concept because I just dont think it will really happen.

However, this is a version that would make sense for a small market team:

"If the options for the Western New York community is to not have the Bills at all -- which is a real possibility when Ralph dies -- might we not want to cut our losses now and look at a split season?" former Erie County executive Joel Giambra asked. "Maybe the first half of the season is played here, because of the weather, and the second half in Canada because of the dome. It's an hour-and-a-half away. It's not like you have to get in a plane to go there."

To me the team is basically disowning its hometown. Yes they would be "sharing" the Bills, but thats not the same philosophically as saying they are the true BUFFALO Bills, the only team playing in NY. They represent my way of life, to me, not the ****ing Canadians.

That version, is more than I could handle. Have a game or even two per year in Toronto? yeah thats fun, send half the games Toronto every year? they are part owners and I cant stand that thought.

I would reluctantly find a new team at that point.

As ******ed as it sounds, I would be more likely to root for the Bills if they up and moved to another city than if they went down this "sharing" version.

• HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: I will ditch the Bills if this happens!

Wow. Let's rape and kill the villagers while were at it.

Would Buffalo ever win a franchise in today's market? Never. So you are going to piss and moan about sharing the team with another city?

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
      Wow. Let's rape and kill the villagers while were at it.

Would Buffalo ever win a franchise in today's market? Never. So you are going to piss and moan about sharing the team with another city?
      YEP!

Comment

• Nighthawk
        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
        • Jul 2002

Umm, no way I support something like this. There is NO NEED to split the season with Toronto. The Bills are Buffalo's and always should be!

Comment

• MikeInRoch
          • Sep 2003

No need? So you think a franchise could survive in Buffalo? I don't think the economics agree with you...
          "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Devin
            The Octagon
            • Apr 2003

I guess it beats them leaving completley.
            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• DrGraves
              • Mar 2008

i know it would suck if that happened, but one would really need to question their fanhood if ythey couldnt call yourself a bills fan anymore...

at least if this happened there would be ALOT more money, fans, and overall football relevancy for the franchise.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                I dont usually play into the "Bills are leaving" concept because I just dont think it will really happen.

"If the options for the Western New York community is to not have the Bills at all -- which is a real possibility when Ralph dies -- might we not want to cut our losses now and look at a split season?" former Erie County executive Joel Giambra asked. "Maybe the first half of the season is played here, because of the weather, and the second half in Canada because of the dome. It's an hour-and-a-half away. It's not like you have to get in a plane to go there."

To me the team is basically disowning its hometown. Yes they would be "sharing" the Bills, but thats not the same philosophically as saying they are the true BUFFALO Bills, the only team playing in NY. They represent my way of life, to me, not the ****ing Canadians.

That version, is more than I could handle. Have a game or even two per year in Toronto? yeah thats fun, send half the games Toronto every year? they are part owners and I cant stand that thought.

As ******ed as it sounds, I would be more likely to root for the Bills if they up and moved to another city than if they went down this "sharing" version.
                and almost the same thing was said by Erie County Executive Collins today on the news,

Ever since Ralph Wilson uttered these words: "I can't speculate what's going to happen in the future," during a news conference announcing that the Bills would play one regular season game in Toronto for the next five years, Bills fans have been worried that it was just the first step toward the team moving lock, stock and shoulder pads to Toronto.

Now, Erie County Executive Collins says upon Mr. Wilson's passing, he expects the team's new owner, whether it's someone from Buffalo or Rogers Communications, will move even more games to Toronto.

"If we have half, or more of the games here in Buffalo, given the financial realities of the NFL, I would consider that a win," says Collins.

Scott Brown: "It seems like you're saying half a loaf may be better than none when it comes to the Bills?"

Collins: "Whether it's four, five or six games at the Ralph, I think we'd be very glad to have that."

Brown: "Do you think that's going to be a tough pill for Bills fans to swallow?"

Collins: "I don't think so because the reality of them leaving the area has everyone scared to death."

video

Comment

• djjimkelly
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by EdwardsEra

good take edwards with u

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DrGraves
                    i know it would suck if that happened, but one would really need to question their fanhood if ythey couldnt call yourself a bills fan anymore...

at least if this happened there would be ALOT more money, fans, and overall football relevancy for the franchise.
                    My fanhood cant be questioned. Im a die hard BUFFALO Bills fan. If it becomes the Buffonto Bills, then thats a new team IMO.

No different than the Browns fans, did they become Ravens fans?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

I don't understand all of the BS about the Bills struggling financially. They have the 8th or 9th highest net revenue in the league, meaning they are one of the top teams financially.

Your ire should be directed at Ralph Wilson, Jr., who never misses a chance to cry about the Bills' finances, and continually makes negative and disparaging remarks about Buffalo and WNY. His stated commitment to sell the Bills to the highest bidder is the reason the team will likely move, NOT its financial condition.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                        I don't understand all of the BS about the Bills struggling financially. They have the 8th or 9th highest net revenue in the league, meaning they are one of the top teams financially.

Your ire should be directed at Ralph Wilson, Jr., who never misses a chance to cry about the Bills' finances, and continually makes negative and disparaging remarks about Buffalo and WNY. His stated commitment to sell the Bills to the highest bidder is the reason the team will likely move, NOT its financial condition.
                        don't forget the team does not have any debt and that's why they have high revenues. If the team is able to continue to get the government to pay for their debt maybe they can stay there but it's just not realistic. I don't think the fact that the net revenues are high compared to some other teams is such an important indicator of financial stability as you say. Instead, we need to look at cash flows to really understand the value of the team and it's long term viability in this market and the cash flows are just not there in WNY like they are in other markets. Say RWS is great all you want...it already is just about the worst NFL stadium in the league and the way they are being built now our stadium is a slum.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Whatever. . .

Buy into the negative BS all you want. This team does NOT have to move. The 72,000 fans who pack the place for every game don't seem to mind that RWS is simply a football stadium and not a mega-sports-entertainment-Taj Mahal, as are being built in New Jersey and Dallas.

And Erie County and the state will continue to pay for renovations, maintenance, etc. It is in their best interest to keep the Bills.

I just don't buy into all the dire straits/what might happen eventually crap that all the doomsayers are spreading. The team is in good shape now and for the immediate future.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Bulldog
                            Top Dog
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            Whatever. . .

Buy into the negative BS all you want. This team does NOT have to move. The 72,000 fans who pack the place for every game don't seem to mind that RWS is simply a football stadium and not a mega-sports-entertainment-Taj Mahal, as are being built in New Jersey and Dallas.

And Erie County and the state will continue to pay for renovations, maintenance, etc. It is in their best interest to keep the Bills.

I just don't buy into all the dire straits/what might happen eventually crap that all the doomsayers are spreading. The team is in good shape now and for the immediate future.
                            Agreed. I go to the Bills games to tailgate, watch some football and enjoy the atmosphere. Let these other teams can have all the bells and whistles they want in their stadiums. At the end of the day, there are very few places that can match the game day experience that the Ralph provides.
                            I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

The fact that the local politicians are already jumping on this bandwagon and basically waving the white flag to Toronto depresses the hell out of me and pisses me off.

I'm sorry, but a split season won't work. If they want both pre-season games and 1 regular season game...fine. But it's not the Buffalo Bills anymore if they take half the ****ing season.

Comment

Working...
                              X