PDA

View Full Version : Did Jauron's last stand as coach this season?

blackonyx89
06-20-2008, 09:48 AM
No excuses. You addressed your needs defensively and offensively, you should at least get a wildcard. If not, bye bye DJ!!! Who's with me?

:respect:

The King
06-20-2008, 09:49 AM
10 wins and Jauron stays playoffs or not

DrGraves
06-20-2008, 09:55 AM
no way we fire this guy, im sorry but too much time has been put into this young team... the last thing in the world the bills need is to have to rebuild with a new coach/system. that will just put us back another 3/4 years.

raphael120
06-20-2008, 09:57 AM
10 wins is good, but I'll still have a bad taste in my mouth, but it'll be a hell of a lot better than 7-9. But still...don't you think with ALL the additions and everything that that will amount to more than just a 3 game improvement? Injury depleted, 2 close games we lost at the very end last year...I expect at least 11 wins. 11 wins shows our team knows what the hell it's doing. 10 wins means they know what theyre doing too...but doesn't guarantee a playoff spot. I'm tired of not creating our own destiny when it comes to getting into the playoffs. I'm not going to be relying on other teams losing when it should be the Bills job in taking care of business and winning the games they should win.

But really, yeah, I agree with you...10 wins or better or this guy is a bum. The whole rebuilding process' goal isn't to get 8-9 wins. It's to get into the playoffs.

Jan Reimers
06-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Not sure we addressed our needs offensively, at least not all of them, but I will not be happy with another 7-9 season.

At some point - and I think this season is that point - we need to get to into the playoffs.

justasportsfan
06-20-2008, 09:58 AM
I just hope Turk doesn't turn out to be a turd.

OpIv37
06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Jauron will keep his job if we hit 7 wins or more.

I don't agree- I don't think we should have hired him in the first place and I think he should be fired if we don't make playoffs.

But the reality is that he'll get another chance unless this team absolutely tanks.

raphael120
06-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Jauron will keep his job if we hit 7 wins or more.

I don't agree- I don't think we should have hired him in the first place and I think he should be fired if we don't make playoffs.

But the reality is that he'll get another chance unless this team absolutely tanks.

If we go 7-9 again and they don't do something with Jauron, I'll lose all faith in the FO, not that I have much there to begin with. I'm sorry, but I just don't see any logical excuse to NOT can Jauron.

You're telling me a coach with tons of injuries and lack of talent from last year can go 7-9, but then get all these additions, ANOTHER draft hand picked by the FO and Jauron, and you don't expect at least 2-3 wins improvement? It's not like our schedule is THAT hard.

The only reason I see Jauron getting another shot is if Trent Edwards totally blows...but even then, who's the coach who named him starter and praised him in the first place? At some point accountablity has to reign supreme.

blackonyx89
06-20-2008, 10:14 AM
no way we fire this guy, im sorry but too much time has been put into this young team... the last thing in the world the bills need is to have to rebuild with a new coach/system. that will just put us back another 3/4 years.

Two words. Marty Schottenheimer!

:rrich:

raphael120
06-20-2008, 10:15 AM

Two better words. Bill Cowher.

Three words for both options: No ****ing way.

gr8slayer
06-20-2008, 10:15 AM
As long as we continue to improve every year he's fine by me.

Dr. Lecter
06-20-2008, 10:29 AM
I can see the team winning ten games and missing out of the playoffs on an asinine tiebraker.

Net points scored in the 8th minute of the 3rd quarter or something like that.

madness
06-20-2008, 11:07 AM
> .500 or bust for Jauron playoffs or not. I won't be extremely happy about 9-7 but as long as this young team shows improvement, I'll be partially satisfied and so will most fans.

People can blame the coaching staff all they want but it's common knowledge that young teams, no matter what sport, have trouble closing the nail-biters. For this reason, I expect to see us lose a couple of close ones this year.

No matter what the winning record, this could very well be the reason we miss the playoffs and only experience is going to overcome that.

Bulldog
06-20-2008, 11:45 AM
> .500 or bust for Jauron playoffs or not. I won't be extremely happy about 9-7 but as long as this young team shows improvement, I'll be partially satisfied and so will most fans.

People can blame the coaching staff all they want but it's common knowledge that young teams, no matter what sport, have trouble closing the nail-biters. For this reason, I expect to see us lose a couple of close ones this year.

No matter what the winning record, this could very well be the reason we miss the playoffs and only experience is going to overcome that.

I'm kind of thinking that the Bills got all of the close losses out of their system last year. This is the year where they need to learn how to close teams out. That alone could be worth a few victories during the year.

evol4276
06-20-2008, 01:47 PM
it's easy, clear and simple. no.

Historian
06-20-2008, 02:30 PM
I think he stays no matter what.

Owners are hesitant to change coaches during a relocation.

OpIv37
06-20-2008, 02:31 PM
As long as we continue to improve every year he's fine by me.

but we didn't improve.

We were 7-9 both years, and our defensive ranking went down (I think our offensive one did as well but I can't remember).

Al the Bills Fan
06-20-2008, 02:44 PM
10 wins is good, but I'll still have a bad taste in my mouth, but it'll be a hell of a lot better than 7-9. But still...don't you think with ALL the additions and everything that that will amount to more than just a 3 game improvement? Injury depleted, 2 close games we lost at the very end last year...I expect at least 11 wins. 11 wins shows our team knows what the hell it's doing. 10 wins means they know what theyre doing too...but doesn't guarantee a playoff spot. I'm tired of not creating our own destiny when it comes to getting into the playoffs. I'm not going to be relying on other teams losing when it should be the Bills job in taking care of business and winning the games they should win.

But really, yeah, I agree with you...10 wins or better or this guy is a bum. The whole rebuilding process' goal isn't to get 8-9 wins. It's to get into the playoffs.

I agree with you to a point, but a 11 win season is an awful hard thing to accomplish in the NFL. If we get the wildcard I'm happy, the goal is the playoffs. We make the playoffs and Dick isn't going anywhere!

Mudflap1
06-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Unless the team tanks, Jauron will be back.

I personally don't think this team is ready for the playoffs yet. Still need one more offseason. But maybe they'll get it together this year and prove me wrong.

Jon

Night Train
06-20-2008, 03:00 PM

Yes.

We need a 70 year old who can get you there and then win the " One and Done " award every post season.

Brilliant !

Ingtar33
06-21-2008, 02:39 PM

you expect way too much.

and overvalue the acquisitions this off season.

this was an overachieving team last year. we weren't 7-9 good, and we have coaching to thanks for getting there.

8-8 & 9-7, reasonable predictions. 10-6, if everything goes our way. 11-5, only if trent edwards is in for consideration for the probowl.

evol4276
06-21-2008, 04:07 PM
i forgot we're bills fans, we're only allowed to expect 3 years from someone before we oust him

OpIv37
06-21-2008, 04:14 PM
i forgot we're bills fans, we're only allowed to expect 3 years from someone before we oust him

and how many years of losing are you willing to tolerate before it becomes painfully obvious that a coach isn't good enough?

raphael120
06-21-2008, 04:22 PM
ive been waiting a good 9 years and Ralph hasn't made a SINGLE good coaching choice...how about you?

Jan Reimers
06-21-2008, 04:25 PM
I'll reserve judgment on Jauron, but Wade Phillips - and I never thought I'd say this - was probably the last decent coach we had.

raphael120
06-21-2008, 04:29 PM
you expect way too much.

Yeah? Or is it just you as a emotionally run down Bills fan expect way too little? Ask a Steelers fan if expecting more than 8 wins ludicrous. Ask any half decent team in the league (besides Miami) if they think that more than 10 wins is unattainable.

This is exactly the problem right there...10 wins is expecting way too much...but I don't blame you though, dude...it's the life of a Buffalo sports fan, but I don't know about you, but I'm always disappointed when the "great plan" of the front office is ineffective year after year after year. Even a blind squirrle finds a nut sometimes...so with that in mind, we must be ****in blind, deaf, and dumb. The damn TEXANS are getting better than us!

raphael120
06-21-2008, 04:29 PM
I'll reserve judgment on Jauron, but Wade Phillips - and I never thought I'd say this - was probably the last decent coach we had.

Oh without a doubt. And Ralph fired him. Ironic, huh?

John Doe
06-21-2008, 07:37 PM
A winning record with a second-year QB will earn another season for Jauron.

Philagape
06-21-2008, 07:47 PM

Damn right.

lmcshadow
06-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Im with you on that one

Historian
06-22-2008, 06:34 AM
Wade Phillips - and I never thought I'd say this - was probably the last decent coach we had.

That's because people were spoiled by 13 years of solid winning.

I think everyone called for his head, because despite all that success, we never won the big one. I think, (and I'm just retroactively speculating here) that most, including Ralph and Donahoe, felt with a little better coaching, perhaps a guy who was a little more detail oriented, could push this team over the top, given what happened in the WC game against Tennessee.

I think that's why we ended up with Gregg Williams, I really do.

HHURRICANE
06-22-2008, 08:36 AM
If he has a winning season, 9 wins, there is no way he gets fired. No way.

The team would have to have a melt down for him to get fired. 6 wins or less.

acehole
06-22-2008, 10:06 AM

Which is exactly why they will change,,,

raphael120
06-22-2008, 12:25 PM
If he has a winning season, 9 wins, there is no way he gets fired. No way.

The team would have to have a melt down for him to get fired. 6 wins or less.

if we're no better than 7-9...AGAIN... I think the head coach needs to be called out.

Ingtar33
06-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Yeah? Or is it just you as a emotionally run down Bills fan expect way too little? Ask a Steelers fan if expecting more than 8 wins ludicrous. Ask any half decent team in the league (besides Miami) if they think that more than 10 wins is unattainable.

This is exactly the problem right there...10 wins is expecting way too much...but I don't blame you though, dude...it's the life of a Buffalo sports fan, but I don't know about you, but I'm always disappointed when the "great plan" of the front office is ineffective year after year after year. Even a blind squirrle finds a nut sometimes...so with that in mind, we must be ****in blind, deaf, and dumb. The damn TEXANS are getting better than us!

no. i mean you're overvaluing what we've done this off season.

my comment had nothing to do with what you should hope for the team. Personally, i go into every season hoping and praying that this year, will be the one.

but a rational assessment of what the team acquired, and lost in the off season, leaves me disappointed.

we didn't do enough to get to 11-5.

if things all fall our way we might hit 10-6, we might get to the playoffs.

but we won't be competitive with NE and IND... or even SD or PIT.

simply put, we don't have the horses to get us there.

raphael120
06-22-2008, 01:23 PM
no. i mean you're overvaluing what we've done this off season.

my comment had nothing to do with what you should hope for the team. Personally, i go into every season hoping and praying that this year, will be the one.

but a rational assessment of what the team acquired, and lost in the off season, leaves me disappointed.

we didn't do enough to get to 11-5.

if things all fall our way we might hit 10-6, we might get to the playoffs.

but we won't be competitive with NE and IND... or even SD or PIT.

simply put, we don't have the horses to get us there.

well im not just evaluating what we did THIS offseason but also the growth of our youngsters and added experience, added talent from what we did in prior offseasons and drafts.

dont you think if whitner, poz, stroud, hardy, mckelvin, simpson, oline (butler, etc), lynch, jackson, mccargo, edwards, etc....dont you think all the building and all the additions over the past 3 years is going to culminate into something like playoffs for us this season? i sure hope so, because when you look back and the whole marv/dick thing started, they said they had a plan. they had a plan to get us back into respectability and a plan to CHANGE the losing culture that has been in Buffalo for almost a decade. i say if these guys had any ****ing idea how to run a football team, we'd see the end product of all that building this season.

so while you think im overvaluing, im saying that based on what we've done over not just the past offseason, but for the past few offseasons, we should be primed to make some noise. and if the season roles around and we end up sucking...i think you can go and look back to alot of decisions that were made at the very beginning of this rebuilding process...they call it re"building" for a reason...marv came in and dick approved of our foundation of this football team...and since then we've been adding levels on top of that foundation...now if this FO didn't have the knowhow to build the right foundation to grow on, then I think you can logically end up with the conclusion that this FO, this coaching staff, isn't going to get it done and change is again needed.

i think you can see around the league that talent without good coaching won't get you that far. and good coaching can make the most of the marginal talent on your roster. now im sure youve read time and time again that Jauron & Co. UPCOACHED this team, made them overachieve. well ok, if thats true...and we have better talent now and less injuries depleting that talent pool on the field...dont you expect them to be better talent wise, and on top of that OVERACHIEVE. in other words, with all our starters back plus the additions, dont you expect them to also overachieve? so if the talent on our roster adds up to 9 wins, and they overachieve on top of that, dont you expect them to eke out another game here or there, getting us to 10 wins? now im the furthest thing from a homer but i honestly believe that we have what it takes to get to 10 wins, the only thing that remains is that yeah we have the talent but will the coaching take us there?

coaching lost us the denver game, and bonehead coaching lost us the Cowboys game. and that was will less talent, less experienced talent than we have now. with our added talent, will jauron still coach ultra-conservative and not utilize weapons on offense? because if theyre not calling the right plays and getting the right people the ball, then it don't matter if you have tom brady and randy moss, your coach is calling a crap gameplan so youre not going anywhere.

i think how well we do is based off of 1, edwards growth, and 2, coaching.

Marvelous
06-22-2008, 02:53 PM
WHAT THE! DC is doing a hellova job. Last season impressed me. I won't overlook the injuries, nor should anyone else.. Not like there's some super coach on standbye...DC is such a improvement over Greg Williams & MM. HC isn't the problem imo..

raphael120
06-22-2008, 11:16 PM
DC is such a improvement over Greg Williams & MM. HC isn't the problem imo..

And spam is above and beyond better than eating dog excrement but it doesn't mean you can't do much better than spam for dinner.

evol4276
06-24-2008, 11:27 PM
we've been doing i think decently better with DJ in since the last few jokes as head coaches. hell when we gregg or mularky we had more "stars" on our team and didnt win much. hell we even had the #2 defense the one year and still pretty much sucked. so with the fact that we may not have the best offense or defense and are able to still win, that says a lot more to me than not winning with a top d or o. not to say i wouldn't love that. but he earns more respect for that i think.

The Answer
06-24-2008, 11:56 PM
There's no question that Richard 'The Corpse' Jauron is on the hotseat in 2008. He now has his handpicked QB and he has all the pieces on defense to live up to his pedigree as a 'defensive genius'. I feel that he's done a solid job in his first two years here cleaning up the Donahoe mess, but at the same time you get the feeling that his back to back 7-9 season may just be smoke and mirrors and a lot of overachieving. Either way we are going to find out who the real corpse is in 2008. But as a long time Bills fan I'm somewhat lowered my expectations because everytime I think 'this just might be the year we come out of nowhere and shock the world' it ends up being a major disaster.

Look at it this way - this is a franchise that has not been to the playoffs in 9 years. We have not won a division title or won a playoff game in 13 years. We have not had a home playoff game in 12 years. And we have only had one season where we were above .500 this millenium. No matter what way you slice it these numbers are pathetic - and I do mean pathetic. And this is not acceptable to a hardcore fan that enjoyed year after year of AFC dominance growing up as a teenager.

So with that said I could care less whether we finish 9-7 and just miss the playoffs, or finish 10-6 and make the playoffs only to get blown out in the first round. Regardless of my perceived expectations - I'm looking for is a deep playoff run to at least the AFC championship game - is this realistic? Probably not - but enough is enough. If mediorce teams like the jets, titans, bucs, and chiefs can sneak into the playoffs every 3 years than we should not only be able to get there - but do some damage.

Bottom line - either it's time for the Buffalo Bills to return to AFC glory, or sink to bottom of the nfl abyss and secure a punchline on the late night tv shows for years to come. This is a franchise that has way too much history, and tons of great fans worldwide to succumb to the level of the Arizona Cardinals or Detroit Lions.

~The Answer

feldspar
06-25-2008, 02:36 AM

This isn't always true.

Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl in Jon Gruden's first year as the Head Coach.

That being said, I don't think the Bills will or should get rid of Jauron unless the Bills absolutely fall on their face this year.