PDA

View Full Version : 10 Thoughts I have

patmoran2006
06-20-2008, 05:19 PM
1- I'll get the most obvious stuff out of the way first. I really hope the off-field garbage is over with. The Hardy gun incident (allegedly) which though no chargeres were filed still brough unwanted attention. The Lynch garbage and of course, the Peters contract looming. I really hope that before camp they work something out, this is something that we DO..... NOT.. NEED.. lingering on going into camp. Peters is as important to this offense as anybody. I dont care what they got to do, and what side wins the negotiation battle; just get it resolved and have him in camp from day one.

2- I'm totally sold on James Hardy. I think he was a perfect pick in round two. I feel he's learned his life-lessons, and that he's going to be extremely productive on the field. I think given our needs, he was as good as it gets for us. I expect him to make our offense much better inside the 30 yard line.

3- I have nothing against Leodis McKelvin. IN fact, I like him and I was somewhat surprised he was still on the board at #12. He may evolve into a great corner for this team. Having said that, I still am not a fan of the pick. I thought and still think Brandon Albert would've been the better pick. Albert would not only step into a starting spot at guard from day one and improve the offensive line in a big way (over Butler). But I'll go one further; I think Albert was the best OL in this class, and that includes Jake Long. I hope McKelvin is the man, becuase I think we passed up on a future (sooner than later) perennial Pro Bowler in Albert.

4- There's been Kevin Jones talk lately.. I hope he signs elsewhere soon so it gets squashed. I think Freddie Jackson is more than capable as a #2, he proved it to me at Washington last year. He can't carry the load for 16 games, that is true. But how many #2 backs can. I'm extremely confident when he's on the field.

5- Despite reports to the contrary, I'm hearing that Josh Reed has not only looked good so far in OTA and mini-camp, but he's looked like our most reliable receiver. I think the rumors of him being cut this coming camp are far exaggerated. I expect him to start on openin day, as Hardy gets eased into that role; and even after that he'll still see the field a lot.

6- I"m baffled we never dealt Losman. There's only one scenario where keeping him is advantageous to the Bills this year. That would be if Edwards went down for the year early. Other than that, I see little benefit. Although it's been no issue yet, at least not reported. I think he's benching is going to fester as camp goes on and the regular season starts. If Edwards struggles at ALL early on, there's going to be division at least among some players, and pretty much all fans. The biggest thing is that even is Losman started, had a magical season (sorry but it ain't happening) he STILL would leave Buffalo after this year. AFter the way he's been jacked around in this organization the past few years, he can't get out of Buffalo fast enough.. For that, I can't blame him.. I dont think he's ever been giving a total fair shake; though to be honest I also don't think it would've ever mattered.

7: I dont think Jauron will be fired if the bills fail to make the playoffs; but I think he will be on the hot seat. There is a lot of good young talent on this team, but they are still largely inexperienced and growing. If the Bills miss the playoffs, I think it will need to be evaluated why they did. Was it because the lacked the personnel or poor coaching? Personally, I've said and stuck to that Im not a fan of Jauron's, but he gets a pass last year with the injuries and youth. I don't think he's a good game-day coach, and I fear that will hurt us a few times this year, especially on the road.

8- He's as under the radar as it gets, but I expect Ko Simpson to come back and have a huge 2008. I'll go on a limb and say he develops into our best playermaker in the secondary this year.

9- Why was center never even attempted to be addressed this offseason? I find it hard to fathom the organization is satisfied with Melvin Fowler starting. Was the center market really that thin?

10- My sleeper player going into this year (if you can call a Pro Bowler a sleeper) is Aaron Schobel. I think if Marcus Stroud stays healthy, Mitchell and Spencer JOhnson play well and McCargo continues to improve, that Schobel will be a MONSTER with the pass rush.. I'm talking 13-15 sacks.

Devin
06-20-2008, 05:47 PM
1. Agreed on all points.

2. I wouldnt say totally but I am very happy with the pick and fully believe he will be a big part of our offense this season and in the future.

3. I agree about Albert, far and away the most talented lineman in the draft and in my opinion would be a pro bowler at either OG or OT. That said McKelvin was the right choice.

4. I hate when people say we dont need this or that. If they are looking there is a reason, whether it be simply value or actual need. Im not a fan of Kevin Jones, but if we signed him there is a reason.

5. Josh Reed has long had all the tools a WR needs to be successfull and is one of the best blocking WR's in the league. IMO hed be a fantastic slot guy. Just need to work on catching the ball.

6. Agree on almost all counts. I wish we would have moved him, that said as its been stated a million times you HAVE to have 2 solid qb's. While I think Losman was given a raw deal at times hes had every chance to succeed and didnt.

7. Agreed. Never was a fan, hes here though and I support him and there is no question his players play hard for him. I have to simply hope he gets it done.

8. He will comeback, he likely is starting and I think he will have a solid to good year. I think however if our front 7 is improved and plays as well as hoped I believe everyone in our secondary will have great years, simpson being the 3rd or 4th best of our starting 4. I have always felt that if he wasnt need as much in support Whitner would have a breakout year.

9. In FA yes, in the draft it was thin however there were a ton of middle-late round guys who I thought would be decent material. Next year however I think there is a great center class. At the end of the day I think they wanted to give the guys another year to mesh.

10. Again agreed. Schobel should see a lot more 1 v 1 opportunities this year and I fully believe (and expect) a great year from him.

Dr. Lecter
06-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Very nice Pat and I find myself agreeing with all except the Albert part. While I agree that the will be a very good player, I really think the glaring hole at CB (I am not sold on Greer as a starter) is greater than the need at guard, especially the way Butler improved last year.

patmoran2006
06-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I absolutely do not want my post to come off as a dis to McKelvin. I was shocked he was still on the board.

I guess where the disagreement with me lies in the need at corner. I think Greer is starting material. I think with a better front seven (which it appears we now have) that Greer and McGee could get the job done. then you still got Will James and Youboty in backup roles, not to mention possibly reggie corner (though I doubt that happens anytime soon)

With Albert, he makes this offensive line potentially lethal. I look at teams like Seattle and they are always up there in standings, in large part because they have a great OL. Peters, Dockery, Albert and Walker. That's 80 % of an OL that could totally DOMINATE a defense.

So again.. Im not one ounce anti McKelvin. Im just extremely pro Albert. ANd I think its much harder, and also more important, to get a franchise OL than a CB. A corner, except for the rare elite one, is only as good as his front seven.

Dr. Lecter
06-20-2008, 06:02 PM
The Greer is obviously the difference between us. I like him and he is a steal as a UDFA (somebody for those that roll their eyes at UDFA's to remember), but I think he is a marginal starter, although a fantastic reserve.

I am also a little excited about seeing the same exact O-line be together for a 2nd straight season.

But I do think McKelvin has the potential to be lock down. Add to that his return ability (he and Roscoe on punts? Or he and McGee return KOs?) and big play ability (if he catches the ball) and you could have a big difference maker.

Devin
06-20-2008, 06:19 PM
The Greer is obviously the difference between us. I like him and he is a steal as a UDFA (somebody for those that roll their eyes at UDFA's to remember), but I think he is a marginal starter, although a fantastic reserve.

I am also a little excited about seeing the same exact O-line be together for a 2nd straight season.

But I do think McKelvin has the potential to be lock down. Add to that his return ability (he and Roscoe on punts? Or he and McGee return KOs?) and big play ability (if he catches the ball) and you could have a big difference maker.

Well said agree 100% :bf1:

Yasgur's Farm
06-20-2008, 06:24 PM
1- I'll get the most obvious stuff out of the way first. I really hope the off-field garbage is over with. The Hardy gun incident (allegedly) which though no chargeres were filed still brough unwanted attention. The Lynch garbage and of course, the Peters contract looming. I really hope that before camp they work something out, this is something that we DO..... NOT.. NEED.. lingering on going into camp. Peters is as important to this offense as anybody. I dont care what they got to do, and what side wins the negotiation battle; just get it resolved and have him in camp from day one. Amen brutha!

2- I'm totally sold on James Hardy. I think he was a perfect pick in round two. I feel he's learned his life-lessons, and that he's going to be extremely productive on the field. I think given our needs, he was as good as it gets for us. I expect him to make our offense much better inside the 30 yard line. We need Hardy on the field as much as possible.

3- I have nothing against Leodis McKelvin. IN fact, I like him and I was somewhat surprised he was still on the board at #12. He may evolve into a great corner for this team. Having said that, I still am not a fan of the pick. I thought and still think Brandon Albert would've been the better pick. Albert would not only step into a starting spot at guard from day one and improve the offensive line in a big way (over Butler). But I'll go one further; I think Albert was the best OL in this class, and that includes Jake Long. I hope McKelvin is the man, becuase I think we passed up on a future (sooner than later) perennial Pro Bowler in Albert. I love our CB depth this season... But I agree... I was less than thrilled with the McKelvin pick. Then again... I was anticipating Devin Thomas.

4- There's been Kevin Jones talk lately.. I hope he signs elsewhere soon so it gets squashed. I think Freddie Jackson is more than capable as a #2, he proved it to me at Washington last year. He can't carry the load for 16 games, that is true. But how many #2 backs can. I'm extremely confident when he's on the field. Kevin Jones talk should disappear with the "Lynch agreement" reached today.

5- Despite reports to the contrary, I'm hearing that Josh Reed has not only looked good so far in OTA and mini-camp, but he's looked like our most reliable receiver. I think the rumors of him being cut this coming camp are far exaggerated. I expect him to start on openin day, as Hardy gets eased into that role; and even after that he'll still see the field a lot. Josh Reed is a very solid #3... And considering his blocking skills and ability to get off the line, he's a better #2 option than Roscoe Parrish.

6- I"m baffled we never dealt Losman. There's only one scenario where keeping him is advantageous to the Bills this year. That would be if Edwards went down for the year early. Other than that, I see little benefit. Although it's been no issue yet, at least not reported. I think he's benching is going to fester as camp goes on and the regular season starts. If Edwards struggles at ALL early on, there's going to be division at least among some players, and pretty much all fans. The biggest thing is that even is Losman started, had a magical season (sorry but it ain't happening) he STILL would leave Buffalo after this year. AFter the way he's been jacked around in this organization the past few years, he can't get out of Buffalo fast enough.. For that, I can't blame him.. I dont think he's ever been giving a total fair shake; though to be honest I also don't think it would've ever mattered. Unless management considers Losman a legit training camp competitor! He could always be tagged if that "magical season" occurs. And if it does, I don't think you'll get an argument from anyone accept TheAnswer and SAB.

7: I dont think Jauron will be fired if the bills fail to make the playoffs; but I think he will be on the hot seat. There is a lot of good young talent on this team, but they are still largely inexperienced and growing. If the Bills miss the playoffs, I think it will need to be evaluated why they did. Was it because the lacked the personnel or poor coaching? Personally, I've said and stuck to that Im not a fan of Jauron's, but he gets a pass last year with the injuries and youth. I don't think he's a good game-day coach, and I fear that will hurt us a few times this year, especially on the road. True.

8- He's as under the radar as it gets, but I expect Ko Simpson to come back and have a huge 2008. I'll go on a limb and say he develops into our best playermaker in the secondary this year. How many years do we have him signed for? This will be next years renegotiation talks.

9- Why was center never even attempted to be addressed this offseason? I find it hard to fathom the organization is satisfied with Melvin Fowler starting. Was the center market really that thin? Agree... Again... C and RG need to be addressed very soon.

10- My sleeper player going into this year (if you can call a Pro Bowler a sleeper) is Aaron Schobel. I think if Marcus Stroud stays healthy, Mitchell and Spencer JOhnson play well and McCargo continues to improve, that Schobel will be a MONSTER with the pass rush.. I'm talking 13-15 sacks. I'm gonna go with Whitner here... Upgrades at LB and DL are sure to free his big play ability!

yordad
06-20-2008, 10:34 PM
IMO,

1- I'll get the most obvious stuff out of the way first. I really hope the off-field garbage is over with. The Hardy gun incident (allegedly) which though no chargeres were filed still brough unwanted attention. The Lynch garbage and of course, the Peters contract looming. I really hope that before camp they work something out, this is something that we DO..... NOT.. NEED.. lingering on going into camp. Peters is as important to this offense as anybody. I dont care what they got to do, and what side wins the negotiation battle; just get it resolved and have him in camp from day one. I just think he should shut up and play at least half his contract. We took a chance. He agreed.

2- I'm totally sold on James Hardy. I think he was a perfect pick in round two. I feel he's learned his life-lessons, and that he's going to be extremely productive on the field. I think given our needs, he was as good as it gets for us. I expect him to make our offense much better inside the 30 yard line. It's a little early to be totally sold, but I think it was 90% the right pick. I got Sweed down for the other 10. Time will tell.

3- I have nothing against Leodis McKelvin. IN fact, I like him and I was somewhat surprised he was still on the board at #12. He may evolve into a great corner for this team. Having said that, I still am not a fan of the pick. I thought and still think Brandon Albert would've been the better pick. Albert would not only step into a starting spot at guard from day one and improve the offensive line in a big way (over Butler). But I'll go one further; I think Albert was the best OL in this class, and that includes Jake Long. I hope McKelvin is the man, becuase I think we passed up on a future (sooner than later) perennial Pro Bowler in Albert. I think by the end of the year, he will be solid. I think he will be awesome sooner then later. But, I wanted DRC, and McKelvin hasn't changed my mind yet. I think he got the nod over DRC based on ST return skills, but we were pretty good there already, to say the least.

4- There's been Kevin Jones talk lately.. I hope he signs elsewhere soon so it gets squashed. I think Freddie Jackson is more than capable as a #2, he proved it to me at Washington last year. He can't carry the load for 16 games, that is true. But how many #2 backs can. I'm extremely confident when he's on the field. Why are you so sure he couldn't carry the load for a full season? All I am saying is, "I don't know". He was the United Indoor Football 2005 co-MVP rushing for over 1750 yards and over 40 tds. He doesn't exactly seem to be made of glass. Fred "The Gem" Jackson will have a nice year spelling Lynch. Jones? No thanks, we already got guys who need cash.

5- Despite reports to the contrary, I'm hearing that Josh Reed has not only looked good so far in OTA and mini-camp, but he's looked like our most reliable receiver. I think the rumors of him being cut this coming camp are far exaggerated. I expect him to start on openin day, as Hardy gets eased into that role; and even after that he'll still see the field a lot. Josh is a good #3 and underrated. If Hardy comes through on the outside, Reed might be very effective.

6- I"m baffled we never dealt Losman. There's only one scenario where keeping him is advantageous to the Bills this year. That would be if Edwards went down for the year early. Other than that, I see little benefit. Although it's been no issue yet, at least not reported. I think he's benching is going to fester as camp goes on and the regular season starts. If Edwards struggles at ALL early on, there's going to be division at least among some players, and pretty much all fans. The biggest thing is that even is Losman started, had a magical season (sorry but it ain't happening) he STILL would leave Buffalo after this year. AFter the way he's been jacked around in this organization the past few years, he can't get out of Buffalo fast enough.. For that, I can't blame him.. I dont think he's ever been giving a total fair shake; though to be honest I also don't think it would've ever mattered. I couldn't disagree more.

7: I dont think Jauron will be fired if the bills fail to make the playoffs; but I think he will be on the hot seat. There is a lot of good young talent on this team, but they are still largely inexperienced and growing. If the Bills miss the playoffs, I think it will need to be evaluated why they did. Was it because the lacked the personnel or poor coaching? Personally, I've said and stuck to that Im not a fan of Jauron's, but he gets a pass last year with the injuries and youth. I don't think he's a good game-day coach, and I fear that will hurt us a few times this year, especially on the road. I couldn't agree more.

8- He's as under the radar as it gets, but I expect Ko Simpson to come back and have a huge 2008. I'll go on a limb and say he develops into our best playermaker in the secondary this year. I think he can, and will, be very good. Especially with the fact I think we have an adequate surrounding secondary and what should be a stouter front seven. But, I think it will be a fairly well balanced attack. One with 11 leader who will all have a chance to win us a game (each).

9- Why was center never even attempted to be addressed this offseason? I find it hard to fathom the organization is satisfied with Melvin Fowler starting. Was the center market really that thin? Agreed. But, if they are going to mess up the chemistry, they better get a guy who walks on as the better guy. No experiments. There may have been one guy available at the start of FA (Faine?), but he was gobbled up quick if I remember correctly. There really wasn't much they could do here.

10- My sleeper player going into this year (if you can call a Pro Bowler a sleeper) is Aaron Schobel. I think if Marcus Stroud stays healthy, Mitchell and Spencer JOhnson play well and McCargo continues to improve, that Schobel will be a MONSTER with the pass rush.. I'm talking 13-15 sacks. I don't think he could be worst, but I think Aaron pre-contract is gone.

Ebenezer
06-20-2008, 11:02 PM
1- I'll get the most obvious stuff out of the way first. I really hope the off-field garbage is over with. The Hardy gun incident (allegedly) which though no chargeres were filed still brough unwanted attention. The Lynch garbage and of course, the Peters contract looming. I really hope that before camp they work something out, this is something that we DO..... NOT.. NEED.. lingering on going into camp. Peters is as important to this offense as anybody. I dont care what they got to do, and what side wins the negotiation battle; just get it resolved and have him in camp from day one.

2- I'm totally sold on James Hardy. I think he was a perfect pick in round two. I feel he's learned his life-lessons, and that he's going to be extremely productive on the field. I think given our needs, he was as good as it gets for us. I expect him to make our offense much better inside the 30 yard line.

3- I have nothing against Leodis McKelvin. IN fact, I like him and I was somewhat surprised he was still on the board at #12. He may evolve into a great corner for this team. Having said that, I still am not a fan of the pick. I thought and still think Brandon Albert would've been the better pick. Albert would not only step into a starting spot at guard from day one and improve the offensive line in a big way (over Butler). But I'll go one further; I think Albert was the best OL in this class, and that includes Jake Long. I hope McKelvin is the man, becuase I think we passed up on a future (sooner than later) perennial Pro Bowler in Albert.

4- There's been Kevin Jones talk lately.. I hope he signs elsewhere soon so it gets squashed. I think Freddie Jackson is more than capable as a #2, he proved it to me at Washington last year. He can't carry the load for 16 games, that is true. But how many #2 backs can. I'm extremely confident when he's on the field.

5- Despite reports to the contrary, I'm hearing that Josh Reed has not only looked good so far in OTA and mini-camp, but he's looked like our most reliable receiver. I think the rumors of him being cut this coming camp are far exaggerated. I expect him to start on openin day, as Hardy gets eased into that role; and even after that he'll still see the field a lot.

6- I"m baffled we never dealt Losman. There's only one scenario where keeping him is advantageous to the Bills this year. That would be if Edwards went down for the year early. Other than that, I see little benefit. Although it's been no issue yet, at least not reported. I think he's benching is going to fester as camp goes on and the regular season starts. If Edwards struggles at ALL early on, there's going to be division at least among some players, and pretty much all fans. The biggest thing is that even is Losman started, had a magical season (sorry but it ain't happening) he STILL would leave Buffalo after this year. AFter the way he's been jacked around in this organization the past few years, he can't get out of Buffalo fast enough.. For that, I can't blame him.. I dont think he's ever been giving a total fair shake; though to be honest I also don't think it would've ever mattered.

7: I dont think Jauron will be fired if the bills fail to make the playoffs; but I think he will be on the hot seat. There is a lot of good young talent on this team, but they are still largely inexperienced and growing. If the Bills miss the playoffs, I think it will need to be evaluated why they did. Was it because the lacked the personnel or poor coaching? Personally, I've said and stuck to that Im not a fan of Jauron's, but he gets a pass last year with the injuries and youth. I don't think he's a good game-day coach, and I fear that will hurt us a few times this year, especially on the road.

8- He's as under the radar as it gets, but I expect Ko Simpson to come back and have a huge 2008. I'll go on a limb and say he develops into our best playermaker in the secondary this year.

9- Why was center never even attempted to be addressed this offseason? I find it hard to fathom the organization is satisfied with Melvin Fowler starting. Was the center market really that thin?

10- My sleeper player going into this year (if you can call a Pro Bowler a sleeper) is Aaron Schobel. I think if Marcus Stroud stays healthy, Mitchell and Spencer JOhnson play well and McCargo continues to improve, that Schobel will be a MONSTER with the pass rush.. I'm talking 13-15 sacks.

you should help write the year end predictions in the National Enquirer.

Jan Reimers
06-21-2008, 05:55 AM
I will never understand the anti-Butler sentiment of many posters here.

Didn't you see how he improved over the season, in only his second year, to become one of our best linemen? He is big, young, smart, and a dedicated offseason workout warrior who is only going to get better and better.

Drafting a guard to replace him would have been stupid.

Historian
06-21-2008, 06:12 AM
Good analysis Pat.

#10..Schobel will have a big year, because he's a hard working, talented player. My surprise pick would be Kelsay to have a big year.

Let's see what he does with some help in the middle. Pro Bowl? no....but I think the DEs will both have big years.

John Doe
06-21-2008, 06:21 AM
I will never understand the anti-Butler sentiment of many posters here.

Didn't you see how he improved over the season, in only his second year, to become one of our best linemen? He is big, young, smart, and a dedicated offseason workout warrior who is only going to get better and better.

Drafting a guard to replace him would have been stupid.

Butler missed almost all of training camp last year - a huge disadvantage. I would expect that he will play better this year.

Just how much money should the team invest in the offensive line? Wlaker and Dockery have huge contracts and Peters wants a new deal that would probably be even greater than theirs.

If we were to add a high-priced rookie to the mix it sounds like overkill to me.

yordad
06-21-2008, 08:25 AM
I think Butler is for real.

patmoran2006
06-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Butler is only one point out of 10. But to futher the point there are two reasons I said what I said regarding Albert.

1- I think Albert is one of those special offensive linemen who will be seeing a lot of trips to Hawaii in his career; and those don't come along every year.

2- I think Butler could be an above average starting guard. But if we had Albert I could've seen a role for Butler that still would've made him important. He's a former tackle and current guard. He could've been a valuable first guy off the bench at four different positions (maybe five if he learned center). That's important, especially on our team as I think our OL depth is far and away the weakest part of this football team.

We're one play away from seeing Chambers start at tackle or Whittle at guard. Don't forget that. Anyone remember Marcus Price when he was a Bill, and how valuable he was coming off the bench?

At any rate, it doesn't matter because McKelvin was the pick and I like him too. Just not as much as I would've liked Albert; that's all I'm trying to say.

Jan Reimers
06-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Why put Butler, a good - and potentially great - player on the bench, and ignore much greater needs at CB and WR?

I remember, too, when D'Brick was going to be the greatest OT in the history of the universe. How has that worked out so far? Who's to say Albert will be any better?

patmoran2006
06-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Why put Butler, a good - and potentially great - player on the bench, and ignore much greater needs at CB and WR?

I remember, too, when D'Brick was going to be the greatest OT in the history of the universe. How has that worked out so far? Who's to say Albert will be any better?
Who said anything about ignoring WR? I commended the pick of Hardy. I think he and Sweed were the best two WR's in the draft.

And Butler wouldn't have been just a bench player. NFL teams dont go through 16 games without injuries somewhere on the OL; and he would've been the first guy off the bench at any position there. If you don't think the OL depth matters, how did our unit look when Peters went down?

As far as Albert, that's strictly my opinion. Truth is, we don't know how any rookie is going to perform. My statement that I think he will be better than Jake Long was merely my opinion.

PECKERWOOD
06-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Pat, you have some good points but why are you so Anti-Jones? I agree with your sentiment that Jackson is a more than capable backup but what would it hurt to have 3 solid RB's that can all carry the load effectively? When you factor in that Lynch, Jackson and Jones are all adept recievers as well as runners, it makes our offense that more dynamic.

CAbills
06-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Reed may have been most reliable receiver in the OTAs but we must remember Evans did not participate.