• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Paper trail led Sabres to Myers

Two pieces of paper with names scribbled on them are the highlight of Darcy Regier’s 2008 NHL draft.

The Buffalo Sabres general manager coveted defenseman Tyler Myers, the 6-foot-7 defenseman who could fill several needs with one large appearance. But the Los Angeles Kings wanted a defenseman, too, and before they would swap spots with the Sabres, the teams had to make sure they didn’t desire the same prospect.

So Regier and the Kings’ draft head hastily wrote down their top prospects’ names. They made an agreement to show their papers at the same time. If the names were the same, the Kings were keeping the 12th overall pick. If the names were different, L. A. was canceling its deal with another team and would move down one spot to allow the Sabres to pick 12th.

The Kings wanted Colten Teubert. The Sabres wanted Myers. They got him, and the two-day draft was a success from the start.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

Re: Paper trail led Sabres to Myers

I don't know the whole draft thing or what happens during it, but I don't understand why the Sabres would make a deal with the Kings to move one spot ahead of them. If LA really wanted Myers they wouldn't have talked trade in the first place. Then again, Darcy's third round picks:

2006 - traded
    2005 - Marc-Andre Gragnani
    2004 - Andrej Sekera
    2003 - Clarke MacArthur
    2002 - Michael Tessier - John Adams
    2001 - none
    2000 - none
    1999 - Tim Preston
    1998 - Mike Pandolfo

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
      Zero for Zero!
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
      I don't know the whole draft thing or what happens during it, but I don't understand why the Sabres would make a deal with the Kings to move one spot ahead of them. If LA really wanted Myers they wouldn't have talked trade in the first place. Then again, Darcy's third round picks:

2006 - traded
      2005 - Marc-Andre Gragnani
      2004 - Andrej Sekera
      2003 - Clarke MacArthur
      2002 - Michael Tessier - John Adams
      2001 - none
      2000 - none
      1999 - Tim Preston
      1998 - Mike Pandolfo
      The article said the Kings had another deal in place with a different team. So if the Sabres had not made the deal team X could have moved up and drafted Myers.
      Originally posted by mysticsoto
      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
        I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
        • May 2005

That explains it better, because I didn't understand trading up one spot at all before reading this.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          The article said the Kings had another deal in place with a different team. So if the Sabres had not made the deal team X could have moved up and drafted Myers.
          OK, that makes sense. It just looked odd that you move up one spot.

Comment

• Myers57
            Registered User and McLovin stunt double
            • Sep 2003

before the sabres made their first pick, the TSN announcer stated that the final game of the season when the Sabres beat Boston 3-0 cost them the 9th spot in the draft and bumped them all the way down to 13th

Comment

• JD
              Sabres Zone
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Afinogenov61
              before the sabres made their first pick, the TSN announcer stated that the final game of the season when the Sabres beat Boston 3-0 cost them the 9th spot in the draft and bumped them all the way down to 13th
              Well aint that a *****! We could have had beach
              “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
              X