PDA

View Full Version : Will Schouman shine in 2008?

The Answer
06-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Sounds like Schouman has a had strong offseason and looks to be a hybrid FB/TE type of player like Chris Cooley in Washington. In fact I would be happy if he turns out to be even half the player that Cooley is. I was glad to see him crack the lineup last year and get playing time as a rookie - that is until he became another name on the long list of IR players we had last year. As long as he stays healthy he should play an integral role in ST right out of the gate in 2008.

He was a very athletic player in Boise State's pass happy attack and seems to be well versed as a pass catcher. Could it be we have a TE on our roster after all? You have to figure somebody will emerge from the scrap heap that is our TE roster and if The Schoumanator turns out to be that guy than so be it....

~The Answer

ParanoidAndroid
06-23-2008, 06:29 PM
The Bills need a couple of pleasant surprises on offense. I sure hope Schouman is one.

VeggieMan14
06-23-2008, 07:06 PM
I think that Schouman played well last year when he got the chance and could be a good threat for TE in the passing game whether its coming from the back field or the line

raphael120
06-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I think that Schouman played well last year when he got the chance and could be a good threat for TE in the passing game whether its coming from the back field or the line

You mean when he caught all of 3 passes last year?

I don't see him beating out Royal and I don't see him doing anything unless we really DO utilize the 2 TE system...but I'm always hesitant when it comes to OC's telling us what to expect and how inventive and productive our offense will be...blah blah blah...yeah yeah, we'll see..

yordad
06-23-2008, 10:21 PM
You mean when he caught all of 3 passes last year?.I know he only caught three passes (in very limited time), but from what I recall they were good catches, he looked smooth and athletic, with good speed. At least I remember thinking that.

I'm still wondering if he weights 223, 247, or more, because I have been reading conflicting reports. 6-2 is a little short, but if the Bills are experimenting with formations, and they don't have a FB step out in front of the pack, Schouman could see a good amount of time on the field. FB, TE, H-back, split wide, on the move. He could be dangerous, especially between the twenties.

I could see him being a poor man Cooley, but probably less effective in the red zone. I'm probably being a bit of a homer and wishful thinking but we will see.

Mitchy moo
06-23-2008, 10:33 PM
I wish we would just get a stud TE like Shockey that is a known quantity in the line-up. This experimenting and having people learn and leave has to stop. We need them to come here to win, not learn to leave here. Winning has a way of helping a team get a better rep.

We have also been one of the worst teams on offense for a while now, so enough games. If available, get the talent in here and let's score.

elltrain22
06-23-2008, 10:57 PM
I can't wait to see our whole offense play. I am really optimistic about us offensively this season.

Mitchy moo
06-23-2008, 11:04 PM
I can't wait to see our whole offense play. I am really optimistic about us offensively this season.

New system, new problems. I for one think we need to run alot to start the season & work into passing.

Marvelous
06-24-2008, 03:18 AM
This hype reminds me of Brad Cisleak form two off-seasons ago...I hope he shines & is our missing BEST TE....

jamze132
06-24-2008, 08:00 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up about Schouman. And if we are couting on him, we are in trouble.

OpIv37
06-24-2008, 09:03 AM
You mean when he caught all of 3 passes last year?

I don't see him beating out Royal and I don't see him doing anything unless we really DO utilize the 2 TE system...but I'm always hesitant when it comes to OC's telling us what to expect and how inventive and productive our offense will be...blah blah blah...yeah yeah, we'll see..

See the thing about Royal is that he sucks.

Schouman got limited playing time last year because he was a bit of a project and he got injured. But he was showing flashes. I don't expect him to be Cooley or anything like that, but it's not unreasonable to think he could be as good or better than Royal.

dannyek71
06-24-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't think he is totally terrible, but why all the hype around this guy? What has he done to show how he will be a significant benefit to us in 08, or ever?

Mr. Miyagi
06-24-2008, 11:10 AM
The Schoumanator? Oh no, not again.

OpIv37
06-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't think he is totally terrible, but why all the hype around this guy? What has he done to show how he will be a significant benefit to us in 08, or ever?

It's necessity.

Our TE's are so bad for so long, that every time one shows the slightest amount of competence, everyone gets their hopes up.

bigbub2352
06-24-2008, 12:15 PM
I personally think that OBD is gonna keep 3 TEs and 2 Fbs i think Royal, Fine and Anderson make the cut at TE, and FB will be either Barnes Evans or Viti, and Schouman will be kept as the other FB/TE, i think he brings alot to the table in the aspect that he can block and can catch, he is too small to be a full time starter at TE, and not a good enough lead blocker to be a battering ram FB, but he can contribute
and i think the hype is there cause the kid made the team after being cut and put on the practice squad, he is a ST player as well and is young, he made his way onto the feild and contributed the most he could with a very blah offense, enough to be noticed at least by us

Schouman will contribute for this team no doubt, glad we took a chance on the former 7th rder

evol4276
06-24-2008, 01:03 PM
lol i dont understand this board... you guys hated the chad johnson idea cuz of his mentality, but apparently shockey is god amongst. shockey's worse imo.. but hey i'd like him too. as would most people. really doesnt need to keep being brought up i dont think.

anyways back to the subject. i posted earlier during ota's that i liked what i "saw (read) about him and really wanna see how that translates to the field. good stuff.

Luisito23
06-24-2008, 01:55 PM
I really hope for our sake that he shines, but I won't hold my breath!....:faint:

raphael120
06-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Seeing how much Edwards utilized our TE's, Royal and Gaines (who came off the streets half way through the season) they caught some passes and scored quite a few times. The only thing was neither Royal or Gaines made moves after the catch, something I hope Schouman and Fine will be able to do, being smaller, athletic guys, hopefully they can turn some small plays into big plays.

All this will depend on if Schonert lets Edwards utilize them.

Jan Reimers
06-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Schouman apparently looked good in the OTAs and minicamp, and he was a good pass receiver at Boise State. I still think Fine, who's bigger and also an accomplished pass catcher, is going to be good, as well.

PECKERWOOD
06-24-2008, 04:21 PM
My random thoughts on Schouman and the Bills:
• The Bills may run formations with Schouman, Royal AND Fine all on the field at the same time with Lee and Hardy on the outside.
• If Trent could just stay healthy we can go somewhere, but I would like my chances of surviving on a raft in the middle of the Atlantic better.
• We have a solid OL and a solid run game, now let's open up that passing game because the talent is there now. I will say that I think our offense will be considerably better with Edwards or Losman in there, we are a borderline playoff team because of our defense alone.
• Our offense should have a big height advantage this year which shall lead to more production, can't wait for next year!
• I have my tickets ready for the opener game against the Seahawks!

Romes
06-25-2008, 05:27 AM
Speaking of Schouman...here is an interesting article published today.

Can Derek Schouman Save Buffalo's Offense?
by Brian Galliford on Jun 24, 2008 11:16 AM EDT in Opinion

Can a man with three career receptions - for 19 yards - possibly be the savior of a Buffalo Bills offense that, in reality, was one of the worst units in franchise history last season?

Second-year tight end Derek Schouman, like every Bills fan familiar with the name, is about to find out.

A 2007 seventh-round draft pick out of Boise State, Schouman was not even an initial member of Buffalo's final roster last season. After the severe injury to TE Kevin Everett and another injury to TE Ryan Neufeld, Schouman was elevated to the active roster after spending the first five games of the season on the practice squad.

His active-roster stay as a rookie ended less than a month later, as an ankle injury forced the team to place Schouman on Injured Reserve on November 8, days after Schouman set career highs of two catches for 10 yards in a victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

What a Difference a Year Makes
Flash forward to the post-draft, pre-training camp season of 2008. Schouman is still returning from an ankle injury, and he's seemingly buried on the depth chart behind Robert Royal (the incumbent), Courtney Anderson (the vet newcomer) and Derek Fine (the rookie). Schouman is, at the onset of the team's OTAs and mini-camps, considered a longshot to make the roster - and if he does, it'll only be because he can play fullback as well as tight end.

But with Royal sitting out spring practices due to injury, Schouman got the opportunity to practice - and practice he did. Practice well, that is. Take a look at how Schouman, the first-team tight end since early May (again, due to Royal's injury), has asserted himself as a factor in Buffalo's offense:

More... (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2008/6/24/557462/can-derek-schouman-save-bu)

Marvelous
06-29-2008, 11:31 PM
OP, Royal doesn't suck, he's just not a #1 TE or a recieving TE.. He cost us a game with that drop in the endzone. But he's made some decent clutch catches..Thing is we all are sick & tired of hearing/thinking about freaking Metzelaars or that one season with Fluite to Big Riemersma!!! But lets say Schouman continues or Fine turns into Chris Cooley etc, well i think Royal would be a solid #2 or blocking TE....Man one would think we would atleast have a stud pass catching FB to fill the TE void eh? Not! bah!!

HHURRICANE
06-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Schouman will not shine. No.

yordad
06-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Schouman will not shine. No.Thanks for that in-depth analysis.

OpIv37
06-30-2008, 12:36 PM
OP, Royal doesn't suck, he's just not a #1 TE or a recieving TE.. He cost us a game with that drop in the endzone. But he's made some decent clutch catches..Thing is we all are sick & tired of hearing/thinking about freaking Metzelaars or that one season with Fluite to Big Riemersma!!! But lets say Schouman continues or Fine turns into Chris Cooley etc, well i think Royal would be a solid #2 or blocking TE....Man one would think we would atleast have a stud pass catching FB to fill the TE void eh? Not! bah!!

Well, I think Royal is average to slightly above average at blocking and not a threat as a receiver, and with a young QB and no WR's we really need a pass-catching TE. I guess it's not entirely Royal's fault that the FO is trying to pound a square peg into a round hole, and situationally he can probably be pretty effective. But right now, he's not getting the job done. Like so many players on this team, he'll have a monster game (ie against Miami) then disappear for a month.

As far as Schouman- well, every time I diss a player at this point in the year, I get slaughtered with "it's too early to tell." The same logic applies to players who look good. Certainly it's a good sign that Schouman has looked good so far, but every year there's a workout warrior in training camp who either doesn't make the roster or does nothing once the season starts (Jason Webster, Constantin Ritzmann, Brad Ciesluk, Drew Haddad to name a few recent examples). So I try not to get my hopes up so soon.

But, given the current state of our TE's, I wouldn't be surprised if Schouman sees the field at some point and does as well or better than anyone currently on the roster.