PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown wants Palmer

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-21-2003, 11:57 PM
Provided they reach a contract agreement in principle, which should be achieved well in advance of the NFL draft his weekend, the Cincinnati Bengals have settled on Southern California quarterback Carson Palmer as the first overall selection, ESPN.com has learned.

The choice of Palmer, who won the Heisman Trophy after a strong senior season, is hardly surprising. He has been rumored for weeks to be the front-runner as the No. 1 pick, but wasn't necessarily the unanimous choice of Cincinnati's coaching staff.

Recently, the Bengals continued to create the perception the decision had not been resolved, and maintained a dialogue with the agents for Marshall quarterback Byron Leftwich and Kansas State cornerback Terence Newman.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1542102

I don't think they should've taken a QB in the 1st round. Maybe their luck will change after the last 3 tries.

Voltron
04-21-2003, 11:59 PM
I think that Byron Leftwich would have been a better pick for them but with that leg injury and the past they have with injury prone players I can't say I blame them.

4th times the charm ?? :D

SoCalBillsFan
04-22-2003, 12:30 AM
palmer a bengal

:sadwalk: :cry:

Ingtar33
04-22-2003, 12:48 AM
HAAAAAAaaaaaaa Oh man this is funny... they just blew another 1st pick... hhhahhahahah. Oh man they are hilarious.

Of the two I'd have guessed that Palmer had a potential chance of 40% to succeed at the NFL level. And Leftwich at a 60-70% potential success in the NFL. Leftwich is the surest thing of the QBs in this draft, and the Bengals passed on him for a guy who succeeded for a whole 8 games (out of 35+) at the college level.

ArcticWildMan
04-22-2003, 12:57 AM
I agree with Intar. Leftwich is the best QB in the draft.

Mike Brown STILL sucks :D

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-22-2003, 01:26 AM
The Bungles will continue to be the Bungles.

They could've waited till the 2nd round and got a QB. And if they really wanted a QB, they could've traded with either Detroit or Houston. One of them would've traded up to secure Rogers.

The Bengals should've taken either Newman, Suggs, Rogers, or at least traded down and got their QB.

What a bunch of morons. They keep drafting these Top 5 QB's and will continue to keep on stinking the place up.

Lone Stranger
04-22-2003, 05:19 AM
I agree with the attitudes later expressed. The Bengals could have selected a quality defender initially and then taken a decent QB in the second round. Poor planning at best.

mikemac2001
04-22-2003, 06:12 AM
this all could just be talk to lower the price on newman but knowing the bengals it probally isnt

Dozerdog
04-22-2003, 07:21 AM
I don't think so MM, ESPN is reporting that the Bengals are in negotiations with Palmer- The NFL allows the #1 overall pick to sign a contract before the draft- so a team can find out if the negotiations will be a PITA (and they can pass on him or trade the pick) or just to get him out ogf the way. It happened with Carr and Vick the previous few years.

Call it the "Tom Cousineau/Bo Jackson" Rule- The NFL doesn't want to see their top picks not sign and play

TypicalBill
04-22-2003, 07:41 AM
actually, the Bengals are just wrapping up the deal...

BengalsInsider (http://bengals.theinsiders.com/2/106347.html)

mikemac2001
04-22-2003, 04:50 PM
hey i didnt say that was happenin just giving you a scenario

Dicknoze69
04-22-2003, 07:19 PM
I've long thought Leftwich was the best QB in the draft. Palmer only being good for 8 games really scares me. Granted, Leftwich lit up inferior competition, but he was consistently good. I would be very hesitant to draft a QB who was only good for one year.