PDA

View Full Version : O. Gary's contract details..

TypicalBill
04-22-2003, 04:43 AM
Gary and the Bills reached agreement Monday on a two-year deal that included a $175,000 signing bonus and enough makable incentives to earn the running back up to $3 million the next two seasons.

Source (http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~86~1341427,00.html?tbd0,1413,36~86~1341427,00.html)

Lone Stranger
04-22-2003, 05:04 AM
Good pickup. Takes a little pressure off the boys in the upcoming draft. Eliminates the necessity of filling a "need". Will help us to go after the best available player. It is truly amazing how TD has developed his roster.

The Spaz
04-22-2003, 06:46 AM
Tom Donohoe your the man!

BillsOwnAll
04-22-2003, 07:19 AM
nice.

Tatonka
04-22-2003, 07:52 AM
i dont like the fact that say gary was to reach his incentives, then he would make more than henry..

obviously, henry would have to be hurt to make them, but even if henry rushes for another 1500 yards this season, he is only getting 400k..

Ebenezer
04-22-2003, 07:52 AM
:hail: TB...thanks for the news!!

THATHURMANATOR
04-22-2003, 08:40 AM
The only way for him to get those incentives would be if TH gets hurt.

justasportsfan
04-22-2003, 08:49 AM
This signing kinda confirms what Drew said about where this O is headed. Run first to open up the pass instead of the other way arround. This makes Drew more dangerous and less predictable. The more he threw for big plays, the more he is likely to commit errors. This also makes his play calling in the line of srimmage easier. Remember Kelly and Thurman?

Teams learned this after the first half of the season. Drew threw more because we played catch up with the D we had last year. This year with the addition od Gary and a better D we should be more patient throwing the ball.

Think of it, we got Sam Gash to block, another blocking TE (Campbell) and Gary to give Henry rests every now and then. As soon as defenses plug up the DL to stop our running game...BOOM there it is, Moulds/ Reed for huge gains or better yet TD!!!

OL was above average in run blocking last year. NOw they have 1 year under their belt as a unit. This also means less sacks for Drew and less chances of him getting injured.

This is why it was easy to let Price go. He was a great player for us last year but not a huge loss.

What the Gary signing also says is that Morris will be asked to concentrate on special teams. An area I am not completely convinced, is improved.

We could've easily drafted a RB in the draft but that would mean another year of the rookie trying to learn what it's like to be in the NFL. Besides, I doubt a rookie can get that much snaps playing behind Henry.

Tom Donahoe said it best " I'm running out of patience. We need to win now".

The Spaz
04-22-2003, 08:54 AM
Show me that quote justasports fan Tom Donohoe doesn't say stuff like that at all. If he did then I am wrong but I want to see it for myself. Go Bills!

Mr. Miyagi
04-22-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
The only way for him to get those incentives would be if TH gets hurt.
Sounds like Gary will be calling Tonia Harding soon.

superbills
04-22-2003, 09:13 AM
:fabulous: :lol:

justasportsfan
04-22-2003, 09:15 AM
Lol! MM. Spaz it will take some time for me to search the archives. But I did quote him in a thread from the frontpage out of memory. I will post it as soon as my internet connection is not acting up.

justasportsfan
04-22-2003, 09:41 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8408&highlight=running+out+of+patience

Here Ya go Spaz! Not a precise quote but close enough.

Typ0
04-22-2003, 09:49 AM
This signing kinda confirms what Drew said about where this O is headed. Run first to open up the pass instead of the other way arround. This makes Drew more dangerous and less predictable. The more he threw for big plays, the more he is likely to commit errors. This also makes his play calling in the line of srimmage easier. Remember Kelly and Thurman?

I'll believe it when I see it because it looks a lot like talk to me. Bledsoe and Gilbride can call it a running offense all they want we'll see how many 3 and outs we have just passing the ball in critical game situations.

justasportsfan
04-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Typ0

I'll believe it when I see it because it looks a lot like talk to me. Bledsoe and Gilbride can call it a running offense all they want we'll see how many 3 and outs we have just passing the ball in critical game situations.

That's the thing though, I also posted (in another thread in the past when Drew made the comment of going to a more balanced , short pass O) if Gilbride is capable of changing his ways or ideology. Drew said they will be throwing more 5 -10 yarders ( I suspect TE's) more.

I would give Gilbride the benefit of a doubt based on the player movements we've made. If we were intent on playing the long balls all the time, we woud've kept Price or replaced him with someone just as fast. So far, Shaw is all we've signed. Whether Gilbride knows how to.....well have to wait and see.

Typ0
04-22-2003, 10:03 AM
With what TE's? I think they mean they are going to throw Henry the ball a lot more out of the backfield and they are calling that a running game.

justasportsfan
04-22-2003, 10:09 AM
I guess that would be part of it, but Moore's been able to catch 10 yarders and has caught 2 td's with injuries and shared time with JR.

Typ0
04-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Moore is more than capable of catching some balls...but Riemersma and centers were let go because supposedly they did not fit into the offense...now they are saying we are going to be more focused on the short pass...something doesn't make sense.

Judge
04-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

That's the thing though, I also posted (in another thread in the past when Drew made the comment of going to a more balanced , short pass O) if Gilbride is capable of changing his ways or ideology. Drew said they will be throwing more 5 -10 yarders ( I suspect TE's) more.

I would give Gilbride the benefit of a doubt based on the player movements we've made. If we were intent on playing the long balls all the time, we woud've kept Price or replaced him with someone just as fast. So far, Shaw is all we've signed. Whether Gilbride knows how to.....well have to wait and see.

The good thing about this is that Bledsoe is not Tom Brady- in other words he is deadly accurate with the long ball. As you so brilliantly stated, an emphasis on a balanced attack with a viable running game and a short passing game will serve to make Drew MORE of a threat to beat opposing D's into submission with the long ball.

justasportsfan
04-22-2003, 10:56 AM
Moore is more than capable of catching some balls...but Riemersma and centers were let go because supposedly they did not fit into the offense...now they are saying we are going to be more focused on the short pass...something doesn't make sense.

This is exactly why I think we are more serious with running the ball. Both Centers and JR were not great blockers. Campbell and Gash are better than both of them. Occassional dump offs to Gash (w/c he has done well in the past) and to Moore is what I see happening from time to time.

The Spaz
04-22-2003, 11:00 AM
Well your right justasports fan but he usually doesn't make comments like that. Well your right good job! Go Bills!

justasportsfan
04-22-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
Well your right justasports fan but he usually doesn't make comments like that. Well your right good job! Go Bills!

I'm happy he said that. I hope we win a SB soon. No more planning to win it 3 years down the road. Salary cap prevents us from keeping our players and ruinning something we've built.

Typ0
04-22-2003, 06:21 PM
I think your analysis is accurate justa about what we should do. I'm just saying it's nothing but a bunch of talk until it translates into something real. Just like TD I'm sick of hearing a bunch of talk. As far as I'm concerned people can take their talk and cram it. Talk means nothing. Yet peoples impressions are more incensed with talk than actions. Actions are what are important. And I have never seen Bledsoe or Gilbride show signs of having the mind set to follow through with something like this. As I have previously stated...I hope Lebeau gets a boot stuck up these guys ass so they wake up. I know Williams isn't that stupid either. He just needs a boot up his ass when he starts to mismanage a game.

Tatonka
04-22-2003, 08:47 PM
As far as I'm concerned people can take their talk and cram it.

isnt that what we are all doing here?:viohit: :idunno: :unknown:

Typ0
04-22-2003, 09:30 PM
No that's not what I meant at all Tatonka. I was talking about people who just spew a bunch of crap but when it comes down to actually taking actions on something they don't back it up. I'm not talking about what people are doing here unless they fit into that realm.

colin
04-23-2003, 11:03 AM
With Gary, we are going to have some fresh strong legs, and two quality backs every game.

That should mean about 23 or 25 carries/touches a game for Henry, and 8-15 for Gary. A mix like that will make our O very hard to deal with.

HenryRules
04-23-2003, 11:27 AM
Colin, I think you're close, and I'm probably nitpicking, but slightly off on the numbers ... Henry will get 20, 21 carries per game(average over the season, once in a while he get mid-to-high-20s). Gary you're pretty much spot on I think.

If Henry averages 24 or 25 carries a game, he'll either get injured or wear down. With Henry's running style, where he breaks tackles instead of avoiding tackles, those 3 or 4 extra carries a game add up to a lot of extra hits against the opposing front 7, plus the fact that 3 or 4 extra running plays implies extra time on the field in passing situations as well. The extra punishment doesn't add up to a long, healthy, and productive career. There's a lot of examples of guys who fall off after too many carries - Edgerrin James is the first that comes to mind.

justasportsfan
04-23-2003, 12:02 PM
You're right typo. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. One things for sure, once everyone new what Gilbride was all about, that started our downfall in the second half of the season.

colin
04-23-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Colin, I think you're close, and I'm probably nitpicking, but slightly off on the numbers ... Henry will get 20, 21 carries per game(average over the season, once in a while he get mid-to-high-20s). Gary you're pretty much spot on I think.

If Henry averages 24 or 25 carries a game, he'll either get injured or wear down. With Henry's running style, where he breaks tackles instead of avoiding tackles, those 3 or 4 extra carries a game add up to a lot of extra hits against the opposing front 7, plus the fact that 3 or 4 extra running plays implies extra time on the field in passing situations as well. The extra punishment doesn't add up to a long, healthy, and productive career. There's a lot of examples of guys who fall off after too many carries - Edgerrin James is the first that comes to mind.

I should have made it clearer, but I mean 23-25 touches a game, so perhaps 22 runs and 1 catch, but I think it will be around 2 or 3 to 1 Henry/Gary.

A power running game and a short quick passing game will compliment our deep threat well. I think we will make just as many big plays, but get more from shorter plays that stretch out to be TDs.

The Bills are gonna be some thugs next year.