PDA

View Full Version : Derek Fine signed!

madness
06-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Per Vtext:

The Bills today announced the signing of fourth round draft selection Derek Fine. Fine is the third of the Bills' 10 draft picks to sign.

madness
06-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Fine signs on dotted line

Both fourth-round picks of the Buffalo Bills are signed as tight end Derek Finehttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6179#) inked his rookie contract with the club. Fine had agreed to terms late last week and the paperwork was finalized Wednesday. He joins fellow fourth-round pick Reggie Cornerhttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6179#) who signed two weeks earlier.
Fine excelled at the rookie minicamp in early May as he was the only tight end present and benefited from getting every offensive rep taken. But when the OTAs began Fine saw his reps decrease sharply with several veterans on the roster ahead of him on the depth chart. More of the playbook was also installed and Fine along with the rest of the rookies took some time to get a handle on things.
But the Kansas product has shown reliable hands and good route running ability through the spring. As for his blocking it's considered his strength. It's why he considers himself a solid all-around tight end not just a pass catcher or a blocker at the position. He'll just have to wait until training camp to put his blocking on display.
"I'm not real big," said the 6'2 ½" 247-pound tight end. "I'm kind of right in the middle and I like that because I think it helps me out and I like being versatile and playing different positions and on special teams. I like playing football and so for me at my size I think it's an advantage because I like to do it all."
In all likelihood Fine will see time on the field early on special teams. He was a four-unit special teamer at Kansas. Bills special teams coordinator Bobby Aprilhttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6179#) is eager to make use of Fine's coverage team abilities.
"He's a guy that all four years he was at Kansas he played on all four special teams," said April. "He played on everything for four years. I saw him on film play on special teams so I know what he can do and he's fantastic. I think he's a good tight end and he's going to play tight end, but we put a lot of priority in him and investment in him because I think he's going to be a knock down drag out special teamer. I think he's really going to be good."

For now though Fine is just adjusting his game to the speed of the pro level and knows when the pads go on in training camp it will be that much faster.
"It's a whole different level," said Fine. "And the coaches are trying to bring us up to that level. It's completely different and it's a thing you have to work your way into, so that's what I'm trying to do."

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6179

blackonyx89
06-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Per Vtext:

The Bills today announced the signing of fourth round draft selection Derek Fine. Fine is the third of the Bills' 10 draft picks to sign.

Good news!

Romes
06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Thats some fine news!

What a fine signing!

Sounds fine to me!

:couch:

sorry...had too get that out of my system. It won't happen again...

gr8slayer
06-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Great :rolleyes: another mediocre talent officially on the roster.

The Answer
06-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Standard front office protocal - sign the scrubs first, then get ready for possible holdouts with the top 3 draft picks.

~The Answer

The Spaz
06-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Standard front office protocal - sign the scrubs first, then get ready for possible holdouts with the top 3 draft picks.

~The Answer

I know lots of teams have signed there 1st round picks...

FlyingDutchman
06-25-2008, 11:38 AM

you expected more from a 4th round TE?

blackonyx89
06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Thats some fine news!

What a fine signing!

Sounds fine to me!

Talk about an obvious quote! :bandwagon

The Answer
06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
I know lots of teams have signed there 1st round picks...

Yep - and the longer we wait guys like McKelvin and Hardy (and their agents) will see how much money is being paid out for rookie contracts and demand at least the same.

I'm not too worried - but McKelvin is definitely not going to come cheap.

~The Answer

gr8slayer
06-25-2008, 11:46 AM
you expected more from a 4th round TE?
I expect us to draft better than Fine in the 4th round.

Pinkerton Security
06-25-2008, 12:37 PM

...because you know hes no good how exactly?

justasportsfan
06-25-2008, 12:51 PM
thats some major props coming from April regarding his ST ability.

Jan Reimers
06-25-2008, 01:28 PM
It's a bit early to make a negative judgment on a player who hasn't even been in pads yet.

Oh wait, this is the BillsZone. We know guys suck before they attend their first OTA.

justasportsfan
06-25-2008, 01:39 PM
It's a bit early to make a negative judgment .
Never too early but It goes both ways too. It's never too early to enshrine some of our players to the HOF either.

I have a feeling , Hamdan is gonna have his statue right beside Jim Kelly's at Canton.

DraftBoy
06-25-2008, 02:39 PM
It's a bit early to make a negative judgment on a player who hasn't even been in pads yet.

Oh wait, this is the BillsZone. We know guys suck before they attend their first OTA.

Never too early to turn a blind eye to past production or lack there of either...Very easy to dismiss it you see whatever you want...

Buckets
06-25-2008, 02:54 PM

The guy named "Excelent" was already gone in round 4.

:bandwagon

Tatonka
06-25-2008, 03:00 PM

wow.. you are an incredible judge of talent, considering he hasnt played a down yet..

can you tell me which guys from this draft class will make it to the hall of fame too?

:limp:

DraftBoy
06-25-2008, 03:03 PM
wow.. you are an incredible judge of talent, considering he hasnt played a down yet..

can you tell me which guys from this draft class will make it to the hall of fame too?

Glenn Dorsey

gr8slayer
06-25-2008, 04:13 PM

Funny, I recall you bragging about what great pass rusher Chris Ellis is. Hard to say that when he hasn't played a down yet isn't :homer:

But then again, you think everyone that comes out of Tech is going to be an all-star even though 9 out of every 10 that come out of that program are a joke in the NFL.

gr8slayer
06-25-2008, 04:14 PM

Yeah, it's the Bills Zone; the place where all the stinking Yankees are satisfied with mediocrity.

John Doe
06-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Fine was an absolute no-risk pick.

The guy is going to contribute in some way - no doubt about it.

madness
06-26-2008, 07:03 AM
Fine was an absolute no-risk pick.

The guy is going to contribute in some way - no doubt about it.

I agree. While he's learning the offense, and how DS is shining, I expect him to be nothing more then a solid STer. We took quite a hit in that department and this guy has April excited.

Jan Reimers
06-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Yeah, it's the Bills Zone; the place where all the stinking Yankees are satisfied with mediocrity.
We Tar Heels from North Carolina don't take bein' called "stinking Yankees" too kindly, ya heah?

ddaryl
06-26-2008, 11:39 AM

this is a joke comment...

it really served no other puprpose but to begin a debate with you about a draft pick that you don't approve of.

Could you of just not even commented here, your comment was useless and unecessary in this thread...

please do the right hting and delete it.

gr8slayer
06-26-2008, 11:45 AM
this is a joke comment...

it really served no other puprpose but to begin a debate with you about a draft pick that you don't approve of.

Could you of just not even commented here, your comment wa suseless and unecessary in this thread...

please do the right hting and delete it.
You just added all kinds of great input to this thread. You could have just not posted it at all :rolleyes:

I think the draft pick sucked and was a waste of a pick, if you don't like my opinions use ignore. Trust me, it won't hurt my feelings.

ddaryl
06-26-2008, 01:50 PM
You just added all kinds of great input to this thread. You could have just not posted it at all :rolleyes:

I think the draft pick sucked and was a waste of a pick, if you don't like my opinions use ignore. Trust me, it won't hurt my feelings.

also your quote from your 4th neg to me. over a 15 minute period.. looks like touch a widdle nerve with the widdle boy... At least when I neg you its on one particular post I think you deserve it for, you on the other hand have gone out of your way to try and hit me with 4...

Here's a 4th, your rep score will run out long before mine will... - gr8slayer
SO I must suspect that you are out there spending time on this forum givng people enough rep to be able to neg rep me consecutive times. Seriously you cannot give rep to the smae person you must spread some around.. so it looks ot me like you have a tremendous amounts of time on your hand to spend all this time coming after me.

LMFAO

we know your opinion... the comment was unecessary in this thread, and you know that... he's on our team, we need him to succeed, and no matter what you think he is on this team and he needed ot be signed and was. So why the lame dumb ass comment.

yes ignore is a great function and yes I will use it.

LMAO... you will always achieve a level of patheticness that so many will never be able to achieve... I'm sure you are very proud.

gr8slayer
06-26-2008, 02:02 PM
also your quote from your 4th neg to me. over a 15 minute period.. looks like touch a widdle nerve with the widdle boy... At least when I neg you its on one particular post I think you deserve it for, you on the other hand have gone out of your way to try and hit me with 4...
Speaking of striking a nerve :snicker:
SO I must suspect that you are out there spending time on this forum givng people enough rep to be able to neg rep me consecutive times. Seriously you cannot give rep to the smae person you must spread some around.. so it looks ot me like you have a tremendous amounts of time on your hand to spend all this time coming after me.
You do realize that this system of reputation means absolutely nothing in real life and should affect you in no way right? Just checking.....
LMFAO

we know your opinion... the comment was unecessary in this thread, and you know that... he's on our team, we need him to succeed, and no matter what you think he is on this team and he needed ot be signed and was. So why the lame dumb ass comment.
So because he's on his team I have to like the guy? Ok :homer:
yes ignore is a great function and yes I will use it.
Good quit your *****ing, you sound like a damn woman. If you can't handle other people's opinions move somewhere that doesn't have freedom of speech built into the constitution.
LMAO... you will always achieve a level of patheticness that so many will never be able to achieve... I'm sure you are very proud.

Mr. Miyagi
06-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Thats some fine news!

What a fine signing!

Sounds fine to me!

That's fine.

gr8slayer
06-26-2008, 02:13 PM
BTW, is "patheticness" even a word? :idunno:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/patheticness

Philagape
06-26-2008, 09:27 PM
it really served no other puprpose but to begin a debate

A debate on a forum ... what an offensive idea.

In Saudi Arabia.