PDA

View Full Version : Great news if you're a fan of the NFL.....

gr8slayer
06-25-2008, 04:27 PM
The NFL Network has hired Giants play-by-play radio announcer Bob Papa to replace Bryant Gumbel in the TV booth. The surprise is that Tom Hammond didn't get the job, but either way this will be a monster upgrade. Papa also calls HBO's Boxing After Dark and hosts the Opening Drive on Sirius NFL Radio with Peter King and Randy Cross.Gumbel was freaking horrible and Papa is a great personality.

Oaf
06-25-2008, 04:33 PM
No clue about Daddy, but Gumble was pretty bad.

gr8slayer
06-25-2008, 04:34 PM
No clue about Daddy, but Gumble was pretty bad.
Do you have Sirius by chance?

gr8slayer
06-25-2008, 04:34 PM
:rofl: Gumbel was the guy who called Tony "Rick Romo." What's worse is he did it two or three times throughout the game.

Mitchy moo
06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
My 9 year old would be a upgrade to Gumbel.

BuffaloBillsStampede
06-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I have Sirius and listen to Papa's show frequently. He knows his ****, but talks mostly about the Giants since he calls their games. I actually don't think he is that great because his voice is kinda monotone and I find myself getting bored listening to him at times. Even when something exciting happens he gets excited, but his voice just isn't with him.

R. Rich
06-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Giants fans would probably disagree w/ you. They play his call of the Super Bowl on The Opening Drive often, and he doesn't sound nearly as bored when calling a game as he does while hosting the show.

Dozerdog
06-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Poppa is the radio voice of the Giants- not terribly exciting, but he won't **** up names

mybills
06-26-2008, 07:23 AM
I like this tidbit, too. Some people don't like him, but I think he'll do great. :up:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d808f9d4c&template=with-video&confirm=true

Jan Reimers
06-26-2008, 08:42 AM
I never care too much about announcers, unless I'm travelling and have to listen to the radio. When I'm watching, I can see for myself what's happening.

Mr. Miyagi
06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I have Sirius and listen to Papa's show frequently. He knows his ****, but talks mostly about the Giants since he calls their games. I actually don't think he is that great because his voice is kinda monotone and I find myself getting bored listening to him at times. Even when something exciting happens he gets excited, but his voice just isn't with him.
Bob Papa is pretty good at calling games. His commentary may not be the most exciting by play-by-play he's good.

Crazy Adam Schein would be a great color guy too.

gr8slayer
06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Schein would have been freaking classic.

R. Rich
06-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Schein has become far too condescending to the callers, as if he knows more than anyone. That has seemed to rub off on his partner Solomon Weelcots also (love how he speaks of the "Buffalo Beels").

Gotta wonder if that's the reason their show got bumped form the 3-7 slot for Moving the Chains, which is hands down the best show on Sirius NFL.

Mr. Miyagi
06-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Schein would have been freaking classic.
That guy actually talks like that all the time.

Where did he learn how to talk? I would love to meet his parents LOL.

gr8slayer
06-26-2008, 10:03 AM
That guy actually talks like that all the time.

Where did he learn how to talk? I would love to meet his parents LOL.
Is he from New Yak?

Mr. Miyagi
06-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Schein has become far too condescending to the callers, as if he knows more than anyone. That has seemed to rub off on his partner Solomon Weelcots also (love how he speaks of the "Buffalo Beels").

Gotta wonder if that's the reason their show got bumped form the 3-7 slot for Moving the Chains, which is hands down the best show on Sirius NFL.
I somewhat agree to that. Wilcott became such a Patriot apologist during the Spy Gate period, and it was extremely frustrating to hear him not make any sense whatsoever. Otherwise I have no problem with Schein and Wilcott, in fact I was slightly bummed when they switched it with Moving the Chains.

Tim Ryan and his constant nicknames to everyone (Dan to Danno, Pat to Patty, etc) bothers me a bit. And he's such a freaking meathead.

DrGraves
06-26-2008, 10:53 AM
eh who has money to get nfl network anyways lol

gr8slayer
06-26-2008, 10:53 AM
eh who has money to get nfl network anyways lol
I'd gladly pay any price, I think it's well worth it.

mybills
06-26-2008, 11:11 AM
it's only about $12. here.

R. Rich
06-26-2008, 04:17 PM
I somewhat agree to that. Wilcott became such a Patriot apologist during the Spy Gate period, and it was extremely frustrating to hear him not make any sense whatsoever. Otherwise I have no problem with Schein and Wilcott, in fact I was slightly bummed when they switched it with Moving the Chains.

Weelcots has plenty of times where he doesn't make sense. You ever hear him butcher famous clilches/quotes in the attempt to seem erudite? It's hysterical.

Tim Ryan and his constant nicknames to everyone (Dan to Danno, Pat to Patty, etc) bothers me a bit. And he's such a freaking meathead.

To each his own, I suppose. Moving the Chains is way better than the Blitz, as Kirwan and Ryan actually spend the time educating their callers on the more technical aspects of the game. It's also interesting when they debate issues w/ each taking a side: Kirwan takes the "coaching/management" side (as he has done both in his career) while Ryan, of course, takes the "player" side. I hardly ever hear them being rude to a caller. In fact, the callers usually try to instigate stuff w/ them, only to be won over by Tim and Pat.

W/ Schein, all you get is his, "I know more than you" attitude. I guess if you're looking for a Jim Rome type w/ a truly annoying voice, Schein's your guy.