PDA

View Full Version : Kaleta a big hit at Dev-Camp

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-26-2008, 10:31 PM
http://cdn.nhl.com/sabres/images/upload/2008/06/kaleta-6-26-08.jpg

Two years ago Patrick Kaleta was asked by the coaching staff to stop hitting during training camp. They didn’t want him to hurt one of the veterans.

The impression was made, so Kaleta backed off. He understood when to pick his spots and when not to unleash his aggression.

So when the Sabres development camp opened on Wednesday, did Kaleta need another talking to?

“No, I already knew,” laughed the Angola, NY native, who appeared in 40 games for the Sabres last season. “No one had to say anything. I know what this [camp] is all about.”

What the camp is about is just what it’s titled, development, not destruction. It’s about possibly creating futures, not ending careers before they start.

So with the big picture in mind, Kaleta make the responsible choice. He’s worked on his own game while helping the younger players get comfortable.

“[Two years ago] I was a younger guy trying to make an impression and now I’m a veteran in this camp, believe it or not,” said Kaleta. “I just want [the prospects] to have the best time they can here.”

The Angola, NY native wasn’t a prospect that long ago, so he remembers the feeling well. He also remembers the important role a couple of key veterans – Andrew Peters to name one – played in his acclimation process.

It’s something that he wants to be a part of with this current group of potential NHLers.

“When you go in [the locker room], you’re basically [going] in your pants because you see all these guys that play in the NHL and that’s your dream,” laughed Kaleta. “You’re a little bit nervous and tight, so if you can get more comfortable and get to know a couple of guys, it makes the transition a whole lot easier.”
http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=367098

just a sidenote to this story Kaleta talked about Peters, Peters will make $550,000this year too much for a guy who sits the bench or is scratched for half the games. If you go to Sabres.com and go to roster and click on Peters you will see he only played in 44 out of 82 games last season.

Myers57
06-26-2008, 10:58 PM
I could have sworn I read the same article minutes ago on the Sabres website...

keep it up! your a true journalist!

OpIv37
06-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Kaleta doesn't fight.

Not that Peters is the greatest fighter in the world, but at least he's willing to throw down. In fact, no one on this team except Peters or occasionally Gaustad or Mair will drop the gloves.

I really think Kaleta needs to learn to fight because of his style of play. But either way, this team needs at least one enforcer- I'm sick of seeing these guys run from fights and not hit people back (ie that cheap shot that Philly put on Tallinder).