PDA

View Full Version : Giants fans to dig deep for seats in new stadium

ddaryl
06-27-2008, 12:30 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/06/26/giants.ap/index.html?eref=si_nfl

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- The New York Giants (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/giants) will charge fans between $1,000 and $20,000 for the right to buy season tickets in the new stadium they are building with the New York Jets (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/jets).
The Jets have not said if they plan to sell personal seat licenses, but Thursday's announcement makes it appear inevitable both teams will do so.
The Jets did not immediately return a call.
Giants co-owner John Mara said most of the 82,500 seats in the stadium, scheduled to open in 2010, will carry seat license fees of $1,000. Less than 5,000 seats will carry license fees of $20,000.

1st Dallas now another new stadium big market team is promoting the continued milking of the average fan to support new stadium construction.

Call me a doom and gloom guy... But there is no way that this type of financing can sustain itself... We are fast approaching the tipping point of the rediculous finances in pro sports to where the majority of fans will just stop paying and watching.

Outrageous salaries, small market teams slowly becoming more and more unable to compete. Outrageous prices to purchase a team, rediculous priced stadiums being built, and TV contracts that are becoming out of whack with the financial reality that is slowly devouring this country...

There is going to be a huge correction in how pro sports operates sometime in the next decade... I know I am on the verge of not even being willing to pay $400 for HD Sunday Ticket. I wouldn't even consider a seat license, and I already refuse to buy most pro sport pariphenallia do to the stupid prices associtated with owning such stuff like Jerseys.

I just cannot see these types of scenarios working without future ramifications

SABuffalo786
06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Spot on assesment.

We're headed towards a major implosion of pro sports within the next 20-30 years if prices keep going up.

Either the powers that be recognize they're bleeding their fan base dry or they face the prospect of empty stadiums and pocketbooks.

mybills
06-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Less than 5,000 seats will carry license fees of $20,000.

That doesn't sound so bad. They'll be sold to celebrities and rich people, and some will be empty. Depending on the latter, they'll probably have to lower that price, right? :idunno:

mybills
06-28-2008, 06:57 AM
I want the Giants to go it alone, and let the Jets use the current stadium. It's in great shape. Of course, I like bowl stadiums more than monster ones like Gillette, so maybe that's why. :D

SABuffalo786
06-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Less than 5,000 seats will carry license fees of $20,000.

That doesn't sound so bad. They'll be sold to celebrities and rich people, and some will be empty. Depending on the latter, they'll probably have to lower that price, right? :idunno:

Don't count on it.

Jan Reimers
06-29-2008, 09:08 AM
I believe the new $1.6 billion stadium is going to be part of some kind of mega shopping and entertainment complex called Xanadu.

Who the Hell needs all of this stuff? I'm perfectly happy to go to a football stadium - the Ralph - to watch football.

SABuffalo786
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
I believe the new $1.6 billion stadium is going to be part of some kind of mega shopping and entertainment complex called Xanadu.

Who the Hell needs all of this stuff? I'm perfectly happy to go to a football stadium - the Ralph - to watch football.

You mean, you won't go to visit Patriette* Village (TM) ? :laugh:

Jan Reimers
06-29-2008, 12:33 PM
You mean, you won't go to visit Patriette* Village (TM) ? :laugh:
I'd rather be nibbled to death by ducks.:candle:

Ebenezer
06-29-2008, 01:24 PM
...and the boxes are going to go for at least $1mil a year...tell me again how the Bills can compete by raising prices to the mid-point of the NFL?

Jan Reimers
06-29-2008, 03:00 PM
I really think only a handful of cities - Dallas, New York, Washington, Houston, Boston and a couple of others - will be able to pull off the $1 Million per box thing, or anything close.

I can't see Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Seattle and several others, including us of course, going that route.

But the "haves" versus the "have nots" is going to be a major issue for the NFL if the Joneses, Krafts and Snyders don't reel in their greed.

Ebenezer
06-29-2008, 03:13 PM
I really think only a handful of cities - Dallas, New York, Washington, Houston, Boston and a couple of others - will be able to pull off the $1 Million per box thing, or anything close.

I can't see Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Seattle and several others, including us of course, going that route.

But the "haves" versus the "have nots" is going to be a major issue for the NFL if the Joneses, Krafts and Snyders don't reel in their greed.
NFL, NHL, all of the major sports...baseball has been that way for years...hockey is headed for another lockout...it is silly really. And with the technological advances the average Joe-6-pack is going to stay home and watch his big screen and not go to the games.