PDA

View Full Version : Bills Stay In WNY Lasts As Long As Bills Stay Competative

raphael120
06-27-2008, 01:58 PM
So if you haven't gotten a chance to hear the Goodell interview on WGR, I suggest you go ahead and listen to it...

One thing I noticed and took away from the most from this interview was the reiteration of the Goodell saying "The Bills are important to the NFL as a successful franchise", and when asked what it means by being successful Goodell said that it means financially successful as well as successful on the field.

It seems to me that one of the major factors of how long the Bills end up staying in WNY is the success of the team meaning: the support that it will get from fans/businesses, which will then turn into monetary support, which in turn makes us financially successful also.

I think more than anytime before in the history of the Buffalo Bills, it's imperative that the Bills have a successful, WINNING season of at least 9 games and showing promise. If we make the playoffs, even better. But I honestly think if the Bills dissapoint, yet again, in the win loss column, it will be the beginning of the end of the Bills in WNY...

Think about it...we've had 3 years to build with this current regime and there is so much optimism and talk about how we have the tools this year to get it done and it's the first year where this Toronto thing is hovering right in front of us. If we come out and do 8-8 or worse, I think it will deflate the collective confidence we as fans have in the Bills and maybe even be the beginning of the end of the Bills in WNY. Make sense?

justasportsfan
06-27-2008, 02:02 PM
even if we suck we will still stay as long as games are always sold out. We know thats not gonna happen though.

raphael120
06-27-2008, 02:06 PM
even if we suck we will still stay as long as games are always sold out. We know thats not gonna happen though.
Exactly...it's a very trying time for fans of the Buffalo Bills and our faith in and support for the team is probably at it's most fragile it's ever been...I think all it takes is a dissapointing season and I think people will start coping with the fact that, "yeah, theyre leaving, but hell...I'm tired of giving my heart and soul to this team and getting dissapointed again and again and again..."

Oaf
06-27-2008, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't say it's at a breaking point yet, only because I still think playoffs or BUST is a unrealistic expectation, but I would certainly agree with your sentiment in the next two or three years.

Bulldog
06-27-2008, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't say it's at a breaking point yet, only because I still think playoffs or BUST is a unrealistic expectation, but I would certainly agree with your sentiment in the next two or three years.

You do realize that the Bills haven't made the playoffs since 1999? The time has come to either put up or shut up. This has to be the year the playoff drought ends.

raphael120
06-27-2008, 03:02 PM
You do realize that the Bills haven't made the playoffs since 1999? The time has come to either put up or shut up. This has to be the year the playoff drought ends.

Or at least do what the Browns did last season and go 10-6, miss the playoffs, but show a ton of progress and promise.

ddaryl
06-27-2008, 03:09 PM

No that is not true... At least from a future perspective... Right now ticket prices are dirt cheap in Buffalo for one reason. Ralph didn't pay 500 million for the team... He paid 50K

The next owners will pay 800 million and that just doesn't translate well into the current ticket pricing. therefore there will need to be a very significant increase in ticket prices for any new owner to offset the costs of paying 800 milion plus for the team.

When ticket prices double many of those fans who pack the stadium will have to seriously re-think their ability to afford to go to games. Add in gas, parking, beer, food etc... and that Sunday afternoon tradition becomes a financial liability that must be purged from the budget.

raphael120
06-27-2008, 03:47 PM
No that is not true... At least from a future perspective... Right now ticket prices are dirt cheap in Buffalo for one reason. Ralph didn't pay 500 million for the team... He paid 50K

The next owners will pay 800 million and that just doesn't translate well into the current ticket pricing. therefore there will need to be a very significant increase in ticket prices for any new owner to offset the costs of paying 800 milion plus for the team.

When ticket prices double many of those fans who pack the stadium will have to seriously re-think their ability to afford to go to games. Add in gas, parking, beer, food etc... and that Sunday afternoon tradition becomes a financial liability that must be purged from the budget.
I dont know about you, but I'm willing to shell out $70 bucks for a nosebleed section Bills ticket and fly in from DC twice a season if I know I'm going to be seeing a good Bills team. If it's another crap product, and they jack the tickets up that much, I highly doubt I'll even want to spend that much to see 1 game.

it's about your money that you allocate to entertainment and how smart you are with it...I'll have a better time if Im going to see a team I believe is doing something positive than see the team I've kept seeing the past 9 years. i'd just as well save my money and fly up and see a dozen sabres games if the Bills end up sucking again.

when it comes down to your money, it's about spending it in the best way and what you think is going to give you the most enjoyment...

casdhf
06-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Maybe you should ante up and buy seasons.

justasportsfan
06-27-2008, 10:07 PM

we almost lost the team because the luxury boxes weren't selling out. When flutie came in and the team was winning again, we sold out and saved the franchise. ticket prices were still the cheapest in the league then. As long as the team makes money we're staying.

gr8slayer
06-27-2008, 10:50 PM
:bf1: I'll continue to spend money on the Bills every year and do my part.