• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • okaydo
    • Mar 2007

SI on Marshawn's very tough hometown

LINK

This is a very good article describing what Marshawn Lynch had to go through to make it where he is today (without having ever been arrested and without a criminal record).

The article specifically focuses on where Lynch grew up -- in North Oakland -- and starts off looking at a guy who idolizes Lynch.
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Re: SI on Marshawn's very tough hometown

That's just sad...the parents are no better than the kids, you wonder why it's a vicious cycle...

I almost forgot about how Lynch got shot at too...it's amazing he made it out of that place alive...man if I was him I'd stay the hell away from that area...people know who he is now and know he has money..

Comment

• Confused
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Jun 2007

after like, page 4 I lost interest and had to remind myself that he lost the ****ing superbowl for us. **** you scott.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
        • Apr 2004

Stop cutting welfare checks and put that money into family planning, parental education and early intervention programs. Allowing pre-adolescent children to run with gangs should be considered felony child neglect.

Comment

• Marvelous
          • Feb 2004

Good grief.
          "Today is a new day"
          GO BILLS!!! NE
          Magical Trevor

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by hoofhearted
            after like, page 4 I lost interest and had to remind myself that he lost the ****ing superbowl for us. **** you scott.
            Mark Ingrahm.

Norwood did not lose the Super Bowl for the Bills.
            Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Why the HELL do people continually blame Norwood for our loss in SB XXV? They either didn't watch the game, or they have a very simplistic view of football.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                Why the HELL do people continually blame Norwood for our loss in SB XXV? They either didn't watch the game, or they have a very simplistic view of football.
                You could tie that in with the story. Too many people have simplistic views about everything; there's too much ignorance. It's one of the big reasons why nothing ever changes or gets done. Education, education, education! Can we find some articles about all the kids who get out of the ghetto by getting good grades?

Comment

• blackonyx89
                  HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by andyxc71
                  Stop cutting welfare checks and put that money into family planning, parental education and early intervention programs. Allowing pre-adolescent children to run with gangs should be considered felony child neglect.
                  On top of that, I'm sick and tired of immature smelly young men who's trying to get young girls and making them pregnant and not be respsonsible. Ever heard of a bar of soap? Spend $200 on a pair of sneakers and they smell like pee,crap and weed. LOL!

They're like vultures on the internet with their Blackplanet.com trying to get action, I've seen them and I want to puke! Grow up! I'm tired of the violin playing of sadsack stories. Unless these young brothas get that street garbage out of their heads, what's the sense of trying to get out of the hood because you know how to shoot a basketball or run with a football and when you get to college, you can't even put two words together and someone's secretly doing your term papers?
                  Last edited by blackonyx89; 06-28-2008, 10:11 AM.
                  Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

I KNOW NO ONE IS REALLY GOING TO READ THIS BUT I SPENT MUCH OF MY LUNCH BREAK PUTTING IT TOGETHER SO HERE IT IS... I KNOW I'M A TOOL

What are these inner city kids going to do... their high schools are dysfunctional, so even if they squeak thru they are ill prepared for college...

Then if you do get into a college who helps fund the livng expenses, books, tuition, trasportation etc.... minimum wage part time jobs won't do it.

even if an inner city teen makes it thru where are the decent blue collar jobs that actually pay semi-well and offer a future. Most of the good solid blue collar jobs that have increasing pay scales, and excellent benefits are long gone, or disspaearing.

So the choices for many of these kids is join a gang, or work for Walmart, or some other McJob... Not very insprirational things to look forward too... I myslef could only handle that reality for so long before i would start saying **** it...

There are things that can be done to improve this country, however it would require the wealthy, the corporations, the government to do a 180 degree turn around. They need to create a better infrastrucutre/jobs that allows people to live semi-well, and not have to worry about their healthcare and the future as much ( real retirement benefits aka pensions). If there are no jobs then there is no end to the inner city problems, or many of the problems that are plaguing this country and dragging it down.

This country has desolved the opportunities that are desperately needed to lift the poor out of the cellar. You can only ship so many union quality blue collar jobs over season before a large piece of our society has little to look forward to and decides that they are just going to do whatever it takes to make money, and survive. No matter what anyone says their is a percentage of society that will never be college material, and offering these persons nothing but McJobs is going to continue to breed discontent...

Yes I agree many of these inner city kids can get off their asses and take advantage of some of the oppotunities out there, but there is nowhere near enough of these opportunities to go around, and many of them require years of sacraficing before they begin to pay off. That's not very enticing for a young poor inner city kid who has never had much of anything, and since we all see how the other half lives many young people don't want to get stuck in a go nowhere, little pay, no benefit, no chance of retirement, dead end jobs. Especially when crack sales makes you more money today...

Honestly... I do not see the problem getting better, and it will only be a matter of time before this country makes more people poor out of the masses, which means more youth will be resorting to doing illegal things...

When ever people are poor an dliving below the poverty line there will be a crime element. Desperate people will do whatever they need to do to get ahead and survive at the expected levels in our society.. The more poor people the more problems we will have.

The other problem with inner city gangs is the black market itself.. Drugs are illegal, but there is no shortage of drugs available..... As long as there is a black market there will be gangs. Get rid of the black market and gangs won't be able to compete and then there won't be enough money to go around to entice more kids into gang life... Violence in inner cities will shrink, crime will shrink, and rehabs will increase... but this is never going to happen, and we will be heading instead for a policed society where cameras watch you on every corner.

Comment

• blackonyx89
                      HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                      I KNOW NO ONE IS REALLY GOING TO READ THIS BUT I SPENT MUCH OF MY LUNCH BREAK PUTTING IT TOGETHER SO HERE IT IS... I KNOW I'M A TOOL

What are these inner city kids going to do... their high schools are dysfunctional, so even if they squeak thru they are ill prepared for college...

Then if you do get into a college who helps fund the livng expenses, books, tuition, trasportation etc.... minimum wage part time jobs won't do it.

even if an inner city teen makes it thru where are the decent blue collar jobs that actually pay semi-well and offer a future. Most of the good solid blue collar jobs that have increasing pay scales, and excellent benefits are long gone, or disspaearing.

So the choices for many of these kids is join a gang, or work for Walmart, or some other McJob... Not very insprirational things to look forward too... I myslef could only handle that reality for so long before i would start saying **** it...

There are things that can be done to improve this country, however it would require the wealthy, the corporations, the government to do a 180 degree turn around. They need to create a better infrastrucutre/jobs that allows people to live semi-well, and not have to worry about their healthcare and the future as much ( real retirement benefits aka pensions). If there are no jobs then there is no end to the inner city problems, or many of the problems that are plaguing this country and dragging it down.

This country has desolved the opportunities that are desperately needed to lift the poor out of the cellar. You can only ship so many union quality blue collar jobs over season before a large piece of our society has little to look forward to and decides that they are just going to do whatever it takes to make money, and survive. No matter what anyone says their is a percentage of society that will never be college material, and offering these persons nothing but McJobs is going to continue to breed discontent...

Yes I agree many of these inner city kids can get off their asses and take advantage of some of the oppotunities out there, but there is nowhere near enough of these opportunities to go around, and many of them require years of sacraficing before they begin to pay off. That's not very enticing for a young poor inner city kid who has never had much of anything, and since we all see how the other half lives many young people don't want to get stuck in a go nowhere, little pay, no benefit, no chance of retirement, dead end jobs. Especially when crack sales makes you more money today...

Honestly... I do not see the problem getting better, and it will only be a matter of time before this country makes more people poor out of the masses, which means more youth will be resorting to doing illegal things...

When ever people are poor an dliving below the poverty line there will be a crime element. Desperate people will do whatever they need to do to get ahead and survive at the expected levels in our society.. The more poor people the more problems we will have.

The other problem with inner city gangs is the black market itself.. Drugs are illegal, but there is no shortage of drugs available..... As long as there is a black market there will be gangs. Get rid of the black market and gangs won't be able to compete and then there won't be enough money to go around to entice more kids into gang life... Violence in inner cities will shrink, crime will shrink, and rehabs will increase... but this is never going to happen, and we will be heading instead for a policed society where cameras watch you on every corner.
                      I read this and maybe Barack Obama could use you for the Cabinet and create a new office called the Department of Inner City Affairs or DICA!

Last edited by blackonyx89; 06-28-2008, 01:17 PM.
                      Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

Comment

• JD
                        Sabres Zone
                        • Sep 2003

Oh come on, quit making excuses for these hoodlums. It starts with the parents! If the mother cant deal with being a single parent then dont open your ****ing legs. If you are a broke ass *****, dont have children for christs sake!!!! Is it that ****ing hard?? If you're going to say "mistakes happen".. ok yes they do but not at the rate these poor jokes reproduce.
                        “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                          • Sep 2003

Part of it is due to the erosion of the middle class. In the future we're looking at one class of poor people and one class of super rich a-holes. But also part of it is their culture. It's cool to be an underachieving thug. Lack of proper parenting cannot change the kids minds. I'm sure a lot of these kids are thinking "Why should I be good and wind up working a lousy job and living in a slum like my Mom and Dad?" These kids want the American Dream but think that living like Scarface is the way to get it. They all forget that the gangstas all die young. If you ask me, their way of gang life is just a slower form of suicide.

Comment

• Marvelous
                            • Feb 2004

Why on earth would these 18 & 19 year olds wanna stay in the ghetto & live like that when there's plenty of jobs that will pay the bills of atleast a 1 bedroom apt.. NOt fast food but some kind of construction or driving etc.. No degree required but pays enough(imo) to get the hell outta there...LMAO! They don't wanna leave. I think a quick answer is for a strict penalty for violence & even stiffer w/ drugs & guns etc.. But all that will do is fill the prisons & the welfare single mom of 4 will always have a place....What would happen if welfare we're all of a sudden gone?
                            --- Every person i've met in the burbs who grew up in some inner city always seems very happy in the suburbs.. /shrugs. I dunno...
                            GO BILLS!!! NE
                            Magical Trevor

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Marvelous
                              Why on earth would these 18 & 19 year olds wanna stay in the ghetto & live like that when there's plenty of jobs that will pay the bills of atleast a 1 bedroom apt.. NOt fast food but some kind of construction or driving etc.. No degree required but pays enough(imo) to get the hell outta there...LMAO! They don't wanna leave. I think a quick answer is for a strict penalty for violence & even stiffer w/ drugs & guns etc.. But all that will do is fill the prisons & the welfare single mom of 4 will always have a place....What would happen if welfare we're all of a sudden gone?
                              --- Every person i've met in the burbs who grew up in some inner city always seems very happy in the suburbs.. /shrugs. I dunno...

those opportunities do not exist at high enough levels or sustaining levels... And many kids grwoing up in the ghetto are pretty much socially disfunctional because of the enviroment they are being raised in. Who's going to hire an inner city kid who has barely a HS education, and a major attitude bred into them by lviing in an area that teaches you a significantly different style of in your face social skills. ...

Plus a single bedroom apartment just outside the hood in many major metropolisis can cost $1000 a month... No minimum wage job or any job under $15 hours is going to be able to afford that and the rest of the cost of living. So why bust your ass for 40 hours when you still have no benefits, no extra money to spend, no car, no hope... You r just go get a job theory has lots of holes that requires you to spend time in the inner city to actually understand why it is the way it is.

We also need to remember that inner city problems have their roots set from the days of slavery, that trasferred in to the days of seggregation (1960's and earlier) ....

Generations of inner city folk had been denied the benfits that many subburbanites had 40 years ago. That means grand parents and parents of the men and woman raising families in todays inner city had little to offer their kin... So there is a mentality, an attitude, a distrust, and a hate that was handed down from past generation that is still manifesting itself through inner cities. When you live as poorly as many of these kids have, and only have generations of extreme poverty to look back on thru their ancestors eyes, how can you break that ? just telling these inner citiy kids to stop it, and work harder for yourself is only going to be met with laughter followed by a gun pointed at your head.

I'm sure nobody on this forum has ever lived in poverty, or forced to live or go to school in conditions many of us have never experienced accept in a movie. If we did I GUARENTEE that most of you who think this is a simple matter of choice would have a completely different view of inner city realities... The problem is complex, and because this country is starting to turn more and more of the middle class into poor, below the poverty line citizens we can expect more problems. The future will see more and more of those problems stretching out into what used to be middle class suburban neighborhoods....

and I agree 1000% welfare is not the answer. However a significant amount of opportunity needs ot be available for anything to even have a small chance to suceed.

Comment

Working...
                              X