PDA

View Full Version : So, whats next?

X-Era
06-30-2008, 06:19 AM
I like to keep an eye on what positions still need an upgrade since it gives us a glance at what direction we might go in the draft/FA of next year. Were not too far away from college ball and it would be nice to know what positions, or what players we should be watching.

I think the first thing would be to say that we dont have any huge holes right now. What I mean is we have last years, or even multiple year starters at every position or we have filled a void this year in the draft or FA.

Thats not to say we dont have areas where we could improve, only to say that we arent stuck starting UFA's or low roud rookies at any positions.

So, then I think we have to next look at who could leave in FA next year and what positions are questionably filled.

Heres my list:

TE- Royal should be better with an improved Edwards, Schouman is stepping up, Fine is a mid round rookie. We still could use an upgrade

WR- we dont have Evans locked up long term yet. If we cant agree, he will likely get franchised next year. But we still would need a new #1 assuming they dont franchise him again.

OLB- Only because we could lose Crowell in FA next year. If we dont sign Evans, we are likely to franchise tag him, that leaves Crowell exposed.

QB- I have to put it in here. Edwards is probably our guy and will be so for years, but we cant say definitevly that hes all we need yet. That makes this position a spot to watch (like we werent going to anyways, hes got a giant bullseye on his chest). Please dont hijack this thread with evaluations of Edwards... thats not my point.

OL?- Well, Id say we still have spots that are unsure, but the Bills show no signs of agreeing with me. Fowler is locked in as our C and we havent brought anyone in to push him, why would we draft a C next year then? Butler just got a extensions, could he become a high paid backup to some young rook, possible, but it seems unlikely.

Really thats it. I think the Bills are gonna be in a luxury of taking upgrades to exsiting starters rather than filling holes next year. Or, if we dont have big holes to fill from the draft, why not trade a few picks for a stud or two....

Thoughts?

Romes
06-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Even though I appreciate the effort to start a thread on something other than the QB or Marshawn Lynch. Its way too early to say because it all depends on who steps up this year. If anyone who most people expect to do well (Poz, Edwards, Lynch, Stroud, McCargo, Schobel, etc.) falters it'll immediately opens up a hole.

But in the spirit of the thread a game breaking TE and a C who can run block would be nice.

Luisito23
06-30-2008, 06:43 AM
Definitely a stud TE!...I'm sick and tired of these no-name bums that we've had for so many years.....We did draft Fine, but he'll most likely be another Royal...:sick:

Dujek
06-30-2008, 06:49 AM
The two additions I'd love to see would be a red-zone weapon of a TE and a C who doesn't spend most of his time flat on his back.

Jan Reimers
06-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Why the Hell mention Butler in a negative light, i.e., "could he become a high paid backup to some young rook. . . " when he came on to become one of our better O linemen last year, and has been recognized as such with his contract extension.

We have some holes. RG, with Butler, is not one of them.

DraftBoy
06-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Depending on how the class shapes up, you'll be looking at probably OC, TE (2), CB, S, LB, DE, DT, OG/OT, QB as potential draft picks/FA acquisitions.

Im currently finalizing my pre-season positional rankings. They should be done some time in July.

HHURRICANE
06-30-2008, 07:24 AM
[quote=EdwardsEra]
I think the first thing would be to say that we dont have any huge holes right now. [quote]

TE, Center, DE just to name a few.

Pinkerton Security
06-30-2008, 09:19 AM
ya not sure how you say fowler is locked in other than the fact that hes the starter. his contract expires after the year is over, if im not mistaken, and i think this is for a reason. if we saw promise in him like we did butler, hed be inked for more years as well. fowler is, as madden likes to describe crappy starters, a stop-gap solution.

ddaryl
06-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Definitely a stud TE!...I'm sick and tired of these no-name bums that we've had for so many years.....We did draft Fine, but he'll most likely be another Royal...:sick:

That is impossible to call right now.... Little is really known about Fine, and Fine worked in a college O that didn't utilize the TE a lot.

All Fine has to be is a solid blocker with the ability to hold onto pass more often then Royal to be a better asset at TE for us

Pete Metzellars was a 3rd rd draft choice and nobody thought very highly of him when Seattle chose him... Pete was traded to Buffalo and just found a niche and got in synch with the no huddle O and Jimbo..

We really just need to let camp and preseason play out to make any real informed decisions on what holes we have left, what depth were weak at, and how glaringly inept they might be IMO.

I am on the bandwagon for a major upgrade at Center like many others here. I don't think DE is a hole, but next year we need to be thinking about making a move on a stud DE. Our DT upgrades this year should improve the abilities of our DE's ... I hope..

The rest of our team is young, and many of our players just need experience and will get better.

X-Era
06-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Why the Hell mention Butler in a negative light, i.e., "could he become a high paid backup to some young rook. . . " when he came on to become one of our better O linemen last year, and has been recognized as such with his contract extension.

We have some holes. RG, with Butler, is not one of them.

You misunderstood me.

I am saying that extending him doesnt necessarily mean hes a lock for the starter job for the next few years. Im saying that we may be in a situation where we can upgrade starters. If that were the case, his contract would not seem to preclude upgrading him.

I like him, I think he is just fine. Its a thought about getting to a point where you can take the best player available and even upgrade solid starters. Thats why I threw him in there, not because I think he stinks... he doesnt.

X-Era
06-30-2008, 03:53 PM
[quote=EdwardsEra]
I think the first thing would be to say that we dont have any huge holes right now. [quote]

TE, Center, DE just to name a few.

Thats a matter of perception and opinion. I dont agree that TE, C, or DE are huge holes. TE may be the largest of that bunch and we are by no means "sucking" on that front. C is the only spot where we havent drafted backups, and I think that ought to tell you how the Bills feel about Fowler.

PECKERWOOD
06-30-2008, 04:10 PM
How titty would it be if we picked up LeCharles Bentley at an affordable price? We would be able to ease him in as a starter seeing as how we have Fowler. I know Bentley has been out of football for a while but he is a 3 time pro-bowler and practically dominated at C not too long ago and if he can come back to even half of his former status he would improve our OL greatly, we would definately have one of the best OL's in the NFL, we could have a ground attack like Jacksonville.

X-Era
06-30-2008, 04:11 PM
ya not sure how you say fowler is locked in other than the fact that hes the starter. his contract expires after the year is over, if im not mistaken, and i think this is for a reason. if we saw promise in him like we did butler, hed be inked for more years as well. fowler is, as madden likes to describe crappy starters, a stop-gap solution.

I think this is a situation where we can read into what the Bills have done or, more importantly, not done.

Since we signed Fowler we have not drafted or signed a highly thought of C. That seems to speak to how we feel about Fowler. Add in the year or years it takes to develop OL, and an expiring contract and you would think this would be a hot button for us... unless we like Fowler and plan to keep him.

Went through the possible 2009 FA's and there isnt jack squat. Went through the draft prospects and we are looking at Alex Mack (Cal), or Jonathan Luigs (Ark). Both look to be 2nd or 3rd rounders at this point.

Folwers contract is signed through 2008, so it will be interesting to see what we do here.

X-Era
06-30-2008, 04:12 PM
How titty would it be if we picked up LeCharles Bentley at an affordable price? We would be able to ease him in as a starter seeing as how we have Fowler. I know Bentley has been out of football for a while but he is a 3 time pro-bowler and practically dominated at C not too long ago and if he can come back to even half of his former status he would improve our OL greatly, we would definately have one of the best OL's in the NFL.

Im not sure he is worth much anymore

PECKERWOOD
06-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Im not sure he is worth much anymore

Good, then the better chance we have in getting him. I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on Bentley.

X-Era
06-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Good, then the better chance we have in getting him. I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on Bentley.

Nor would I.

X-Era
06-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Depending on how the class shapes up, you'll be looking at probably OC, TE (2), CB, S, LB, DE, DT, OG/OT, QB as potential draft picks/FA acquisitions.

Im currently finalizing my pre-season positional rankings. They should be done some time in July.

Please answer me this question before I assume the wrong thing about this post.

Out of your list, which do you assume we need as new starters, and which do you assume we need as backups.