PDA

View Full Version : I'm officially on board the Shockey bandwagon

The Answer
07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
At first I thought all the talk of bringing this guy was absurb - especially given his reputation as an 'intense' player on and off the field. Also his agent is a certified doushebag as well.

But with news that the Giants are willing to part ways with him for a 2nd and 5th round pick, I feel the OBD braintrust should act on this - especially if they truly feel we are a team that is ready to not only compete for a playoff spot, but also a division title and championship.

Also the 2nd and 5th is just the intial asking price, so just like buying a house or car I'm sure we could do some haggling - perhaps a 3rd and 6th instead? Or maybe even a conditional draft pick scenario?

I guess in the end I just feel that we are asking way too much if we expect a 2nd round rookie draft pick to be 'The Answer' (no pun intended) to our offensive woes - especially considering his off the field issues already. Also we are assuming that Evans is going to rebound and have a better season, and that Lynch will be utilized more in the passing game as well. And of course that Trent is going to take a giant step in his 2nd NFL season. So even if all of this comes to fruition, we can't realisitcally expect to improve from worst to first in terms of offensive productivity? I mean what have we really done this offseason to improve this unit?

Shockey is a proven commodity and would be the best possible upgrade at the TE position we could hope for considering our current roster. You can also argue that he would instantly become our best offensive player period - Trent needs a proven veteran playmaker in the redzone and Shockey would add a whole new dimension that we have been lacking since the days of Pete Metzelars.

I say get this move done now before another team steals him!

~The Answer

justasportsfan
07-01-2008, 01:42 PM
not until we've tied up Lee, Peters, and Crowell.

seanbillsfan
07-01-2008, 02:08 PM
He wouldnt want to play here

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 02:22 PM
he's not proven at all.

The guy is almost always injured and lives off of one or two huge games a year.

Just Say No to Miami trash.

Mr. Miyagi
07-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Personally I think he's overrated. Like Op said he lives off of one big game every year. Don't mean to sound like Wys but last year if it wasn't for his one huge 12 rec 129 yard 1 TD game, his numbers would be barely better than Bo Scaife.

And he's got the "Da U" bad attitude, the douchebag agent, and the injury bug. He belongs in Baltimore with the rest of the Ray Lewis Ed Reed McGahee thugs. But wait, they already have their very own injury prone tight end.

Mitchy moo
07-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Personally I think he's overrated. Like Op said he lives off of one big game every year. Don't mean to sound like Wys but last year if it wasn't for his one huge 12 rec 129 yard 1 TD game, his numbers would be barely better than Bo Scaife.

And he's got the "Da U" bad attitude, the douchebag agent, and the injury bug. He belongs in Baltimore with the rest of the Ray Lewis Ed Reed McGahee thugs. But wait, they already have their very own injury prone tight end.

Ya, one or two games a year for us to win is going to be the difference between making the playoffs or not. You field the best team you can and we do NOT have a TE worth mentioning on this team. A little attitude on offense can go a long way as well. If we have ML out there with Shockey & Evans, we are going to get more points on the board.

Remember when we had talent and attitude on offense?? It's been missing here for a long time, too long.

TacklingDummy
07-01-2008, 03:35 PM
But with news that the Giants are willing to part ways with him for a 2nd and 5th round pick,

If that is what they want then give it to them. 5th round picks are basically useless.

TacklingDummy
07-01-2008, 03:36 PM

1 or 2 is better than the 0 the Bills are getting now.

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 03:36 PM
If that is what they want then give it to them. 5th round picks are basically useless.
oh boy now you've done it.

Someone is going to go look up the 6 5th round picks in the last 10 years that are NFL starters and use the exceptions to the rule to "prove" 5th round picks are not useless.

TacklingDummy
07-01-2008, 03:39 PM
oh boy now you've done it.

Someone is going to go look up the 6 5th round picks in the last 10 years that are NFL starters and use the exceptions to the rule to "prove" 5th round picks are not useless.

That's why I said "basically".:up:

The Answer
07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Always injured? One or Two big games a year?

What information are you guys looking at, because when I look at his stats I'm seeing something totally different:

http://www.nfl.com/players/jeremyshockey/profile?id=SHO162072

I'm not looking for him to put up 120 yards and 3 TD's per game - but I see a TE that would flourish in the type of system that Schonert is looking to run. He could easily put up 800 - 1000 yards here considering we don't have multiple threats at the WR position to post those type of numbers.

Also defenders aren't going to be able to double both Evans and Shockey so they would both have opportunities to wreak havoc downfield with one on one coverage.

~The Answer

Mitchy moo
07-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Always injured? One or Two big games a year?

What information are you guys looking at, because when I look at his stats I'm seeing something totally different:

http://www.nfl.com/players/jeremyshockey/profile?id=SHO162072

I'm not looking for him to put up 120 yards and 3 TD's per game - but I see a TE that would flourish in the type of system that Schonert is looking to run. He could easily put up 800 - 1000 yards here considering we don't have multiple threats at the WR position to post those type of numbers.

Also defenders aren't going to be able to double both Evans and Shockey so they would both have opportunities to wreak havoc downfield with one on one coverage.

Add in ML when they are playing back to stop those 2 and we have 2nd and 3 / 2nd & 4 more often. We are used to seeing 2nd & 5 / 2nd & 6, which has a way of limiting what you can do.

TacklingDummy
07-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Shockey would be the biggest improvement the Bills could make on offense.

Mitchy moo
07-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Shockey would be the biggest improvement the Bills could make on offense.

As of this moment, this is dead right.

Mr. Pink
07-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Shockey is a HUGE distraction and more talk than actual game.

He *****ed in NY, he'll ***** here.

Is it any surprise that the Giants were better without him? Really?

Pass.

Mitchy moo
07-01-2008, 04:30 PM

Pass.

Maybe his complaining forced the giants to build a better team on offense and become competitive, nobody ever mentions that the sqeaky wheels can get oil added.

TacklingDummy
07-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Why trade for Shockey when we sign guys with potential like Demetrius Bell?

And some fans wonder why it's been 10 years. :rolleyes:

The Answer
07-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Pass.

Do you honestly think that the Giants front office and coaching staff thinks that Kevin Boss is a better TE than Shockey? They likely don't want to trade him, but why not pick up some additional picks since they do have depth at position, and more weapons at the WR position now.

They won a superbowl - and yes Shockey does have a reputation for speaking bluntly, but I guarantee that he's motivated now more than ever since he didn't get to play in the postseason last year.

~The Answer

Jan Reimers
07-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah, let's bring in a loud mothed, selfish distraction with a serious injury history.

Mr. Pink
07-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Do you honestly think that the Giants front office and coaching staff thinks that Kevin Boss is a better TE than Shockey? They likely don't want to trade him, but why not pick up some additional picks since they do have depth at position, and more weapons at the WR position now.

They won a superbowl - and yes Shockey does have a reputation for speaking bluntly, but I guarantee that he's motivated now more than ever since he didn't get to play in the postseason last year.

~The Answer

If they truly believed that Shockey was head and shoulders above Boss on terms of talent and intangibles they wouldn't actively pursue avenues to trade him.

They obviously think Boss can be a more than adequate replacement for him, which was proven seeing the Giants won a SB without Shockey.

What did they ever win with him?

He's a cancer and disruption....with mouth/actions bigger than his game.

Mahdi
07-01-2008, 06:31 PM
he's not proven at all.

Just Say No to Miami trash.
Jeremy Shockey is absolutely a proven player. His stats prove it.

Last 3 years he has had 57, 66, 65, 61 receptions with 23 TDs and averages about 33 first downs a year. That is great production. Royal and Gaines combined had 50 rec last year. O and for those who say he is always injured, he has missed 5 regular season games in the last 4 years. Its not that bad. As for his attitude, the guy is a competitor who wants the ball in his hands, it wouldnt kill Buffalo to have 1 or 2 players like that. I doubt the Giants run had anything to do with the fact that Shockey wasnt there anymore to hurt Eli's feelings.

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Jeremy Shockey is absolutely a proven player. His stats prove it.

Last 3 years he has had 57, 66, 65, 61 receptions with 23 TDs and averages about 33 first downs a year. That is great production. Royal and Gaines combined had 50 rec last year. O and for those who say he is always injured, he has missed 5 regular season games in the last 4 years. Its not that bad. As for his attitude, the guy is a competitor who wants the ball in his hands, it wouldnt kill Buffalo to have 1 or 2 players like that. I doubt the Giants run had anything to do with the fact that Shockey wasnt there anymore to hurt Eli's feelings.

He's always injured when it counts the most and he still has a bad attitude, and the Giants still did better with him on the bench.

If he played here, he's not going to get the ball because he's going to be covered- we don't have any WR's to take attention off of him. And he's going to whine like the Miami ***** that he is and cause locker room problems.

People have very short attention spans around here. Does anyone remember the last underachieving thug from "Duhhhh U" with an attitude problem that we ditched about a year ago? How well did he work out for us?

I agree that our TE's are crap, but Shockey's going to bring as many problems as he does solutions.

Mitchy moo
07-01-2008, 08:59 PM
He's always injured when it counts the most and he still has a bad attitude, and the Giants still did better with him on the bench.

If he played here, he's not going to get the ball because he's going to be covered- we don't have any WR's to take attention off of him. And he's going to whine like the Miami ***** that he is and cause locker room problems.

People have very short attention spans around here. Does anyone remember the last underachieving thug from "Duhhhh U" with an attitude problem that we ditched about a year ago? How well did he work out for us?

I agree that our TE's are crap, but Shockey's going to bring as many problems as he does solutions.

Like an attitude we haven't had here in ~10 years??

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Like an attitude we haven't had here in ~10 years??

There's a difference between playing with an attitude and having an attitude problem. Takeo Spikes falls into the former category. Shockey, the latter.

Mitchy moo
07-01-2008, 09:28 PM
There's a difference between playing with an attitude and having an attitude problem. Takeo Spikes falls into the former category. Shockey, the latter.

There is a difference between having a TE with talent & guys that try to be a talented tight end. All of our current TE's fall into the latter, Shockey is the former.

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 09:48 PM
There is a difference between having a TE with talent & guys that try to be a talented tight end. All of our current TE's fall into the latter, Shockey is the former.

but sometimes it's not just about talent. McGahee had talent, but his attitude ruined it. Mike Williams- had the natural size and ability, but a lazy attitude ruined it.

Mitchy moo
07-01-2008, 10:06 PM
but sometimes it's not just about talent. McGahee had talent, but his attitude ruined it. Mike Williams- had the natural size and ability, but a lazy attitude ruined it.

June 13, 2008

Report: Shockey has shouting match with Reese

It appears that the Jeremy Shockey “issue” is going to get worse before it gets better.
According to a report in The Bergen Record, Shockey got into “a huge shouting match” with Giants GM Jerry Reese at some point during the Giants’ three-day minicamp. The details of the altercation aren’t yet clear, but it apparently happened earlier this week.
It also might be why Shockey’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, suddenly appeared in the parking lot earlier today. And it might explain this quote from Rosenhaus earlier today when he was asked if Shockey’s relationship with the Giants is beyond the point where his feelings can be mended: “It’s an issue that we’re working on,” he said. “We’re just going to have to take it one day at a time.”
The Giants, through a team spokesman, had no comment on the incident and neither Reese nor Rosenhaus could immediately be reached for comment.
This sure looks like Shockey is trying to stir up as much trouble as possible in an effort to get traded. And I’m starting to think that a trade might not be such a bad idea.

The 6’-5" – 251 pound probowler TE, known for giving 100%, hummm.....

If his head is on straight and he is healthy, I say put him on the field and see if he can play. If Randy Moss learned to shut his mouth by winning, anyone can.

Bert102176
07-02-2008, 02:07 AM
I would love to have Shockey on our team thatwould make a verybig difference to our O

Bert102176
07-02-2008, 02:09 AM
he has attitude and our team lacks that hugely

Jan Reimers
07-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Unless we have absolute assurance that Shockey is 100% healthy, plus a 100%guarantee that he will keep his big mouth shut and not be a distraction, I wouldn't touch him.

And even if we had those guarantees, I wouldn't give up a whole lot for him.

jamze132
07-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Everyone knows that Shockey is a ticking time bomb that could go off on anyone, anywhere. He hasn't missed enough games for me to lable him "injury prone" and his stats are better than any TE we have had since I can remember. That said, Shockey is a better football player than any TE we have on our roster and he is an instant upgrade to an offense that seemed to be forgotten throughout the offseason.

If all they want is a 2nd and a 5th, I would make it a 3rd but conditional on games played that escalates to a 2nd. And I would do that deal today.

njsue
07-02-2008, 09:12 AM
:down: Jeremy Shockey has a poor "team" attitude.

Mitchy moo
07-02-2008, 09:40 AM
:down: Jeremy Shockey has a poor "team" attitude.

He wants to win and puts 100% into every play, that's a attitude that gets you the wins in the first place. It also forces teams to gameplan for him and takes heat off ML and Evans. If you combine all those factors, I say we take the chance.

OpIv37
07-02-2008, 09:46 AM
He wants to win and puts 100% into every play, that's a attitude that gets you the wins in the first place. It also forces teams to gameplan for him and takes heat off ML and Evans. If you combine all those factors, I say we take the chance.

he wants to win only if he's the guy making the game winning catch. He strikes me as the kind of guy who would be happy losing 35-24 as long as he had 3 touchdowns.

trapezeus
07-02-2008, 10:44 AM
other than what has been said about shockey's injuries and bad attitude, i don't think having him with a relatively unproven QB is a good mix. i think you put shockey on a good team with a brady or P. Manning, and he'll simmer down because the other guys are known to be the NFL gold standard at QB.

If he sees a rookie or a 2nd year struggling QB, he's going to mouth off and no one will stop him. That's the issue with him. A team taht only has a TE deficiency, can take him and live with him. a team with several issues and one being QB like the bills ought to pass.

Mitchy moo
07-02-2008, 11:44 AM
other than what has been said about shockey's injuries and bad attitude, i don't think having him with a relatively unproven QB is a good mix. i think you put shockey on a good team with a brady or P. Manning, and he'll simmer down because the other guys are known to be the NFL gold standard at QB.

If he sees a rookie or a 2nd year struggling QB, he's going to mouth off and no one will stop him. That's the issue with him. A team taht only has a TE deficiency, can take him and live with him. a team with several issues and one being QB like the bills ought to pass.

This cuts both ways, getting kicked in the groin by teammates may make that person a better player. You cannot tell me that Eli didn't get better because Shockey was there.

OpIv37
07-02-2008, 11:53 AM
This cuts both ways, getting kicked in the groin by teammates may make that person a better player. You cannot tell me that Eli didn't get better because Shockey was there.

except that the Giants offense was BETTER when Shockey got injured.

trapezeus
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM

by this logic, JP should be an allstar from the crap moulds and mcgahee pulled.

i don't by it. i also don't think that manning played that well last year. he struggled again. but the running game and big time D came through for him. and the few moments he shined, it mattered.

i think that was part of his growing up over 4 years. i don't think shockey was a key element to that.

Mitchy moo
07-02-2008, 06:06 PM
by this logic, JP should be an allstar from the crap moulds and mcgahee pulled.

i don't by it. i also don't think that manning played that well last year. he struggled again. but the running game and big time D came through for him. and the few moments he shined, it mattered.

i think that was part of his growing up over 4 years. i don't think shockey was a key element to that.

By having Shockey in there, it gave Eli a real place to go. Shockey's numbers are pretty good and he is 6'5" / 251 lbs, sounds like a big tall guy to throw the ball to. Isn't that why we drafted a big / tall WR is because we needed height in there??

Is seems illogical that we want to increase our size yet there is a perfectly capable pro-bowler out there for peanuts and we don't go after him. Shockey's been in the league long enough to become real productive, he might even be able to become our Pete Metz..... Dare I say.

Night Train
07-02-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm on the Urlacher bandwagon.

Like Shockey, I know we have no chance or interest in getting him but I'm going to blather on endlessly about it in multiple threads anyhow.

Luisito23
07-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Like Shockey, I know we have no chance or interest in getting him but I'm going to blather on endlessly about it in multiple threads anyhow.

:bf1:

njsue
07-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Shockey constantly criticized Eli Manning for poor performance.

Jeremy Shockey may be a good TE but, his character stinks.

This Bills team does not need bad character players.

Mitchy moo
07-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Shockey constantly criticized Eli Manning for poor performance.

Jeremy Shockey may be a good TE but, his character stinks.

This Bills team does not need bad character players.

You mean like players that pull guns out at family reunions or run down the locals with their Porsche's?? Those kind of characters??

I bet Dallas makes the SB this year because they have the most likely to go to jail team, just like they did in the early 90's. You field strong talent, you'll raise your chance of winning.

njsue
07-03-2008, 07:04 AM
You mean like players that pull guns out at family reunions or run down the locals with their Porsche's?? Those kind of characters??

I bet Dallas makes the SB this year because they have the most likely to go to jail team, just like they did in the early 90's. You field strong talent, you'll raise your chance of winning.

Jerry Jones likes bad characters, Texas stadium house of reform. :lol:

Shockey complaining about the QB is a negative frustration to a team. He got into a shouting argument with the Giants GM. Shockey is good as gone.

Mitchy moo
07-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Jerry Jones likes bad characters, Texas stadium house of reform. :lol:

Shockey complaining about the QB is a negative frustration to a team. He got into a shouting argument with the Giants GM. Shockey is good as gone.

I hope he is gone and comes to Buffalo.

njsue
07-03-2008, 07:14 AM
I hope he is gone and comes to Buffalo.

The bills don't need any negative whiner's. Let the texas house of reform take him.

PromoTheRobot
07-03-2008, 09:11 AM
1 or 2 is better than the 0 the Bills are getting now.
Trade the farm and hope for 1 or two good games? Can't argue with that logic.

PTR

Mitchy moo
07-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Trade the farm and hope for 1 or two good games? Can't argue with that logic.

PTR

Shockey's production individually took us multiple TE's to accomplish, yet he is a problem? I see the logic with that and the threat that our TE's bring to the league.

We need gamers here, right now we are half azz at best.

PromoTheRobot
07-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Shockey's production individually took us multiple TE's to accomplish, yet he is a problem? I see the logic with that and the threat that our TE's bring to the league.

We need gamers here, right now we are half azz at best.

Why do people think Shockey is a gamer? The Giants played better without him! Shockey's hype is better than his game. Maybe that's why the Giants want to unload him. Shockey is living off the fumes of his reputation.

PTR

Mitchy moo
07-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Why do people think Shockey is a gamer? The Giants played better without him! Shockey's hype is better than his game. Maybe that's why the Giants want to unload him. Shockey is living off the fumes of his reputation.

PTR

6'5" / 251 pound TE ?? The Bills want size, this is size.

Marvelous
07-05-2008, 06:33 PM
I dunno. Seems like Shockey is old news to me.. I wanted him 5 years ago. Now i'd rather wait for own home grown...

-Skooby-- Are we making a strong playoff run where TE is the missing piece?