PDA

View Full Version : Demetrius Bell Signed!

Bone
07-01-2008, 03:24 PM
V-Text

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Woo-hoo! Camp Fodder!

bigbub2352
07-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Definte PS prospect, with size and agility, he comes from a small school so will need time to develop i like the pick in the 7th round actually, and we always need to be developing depth, he has a nasty streak to him and can play anywhere on the line, happy to have him aboard

TacklingDummy
07-01-2008, 03:33 PM
What position does this new bum play?

Mitchy moo
07-01-2008, 03:34 PM

Left out.

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Left out.

http://www.extrememortman.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/Rim%20Shot%20Johnny%20Utah.jpg

The Answer
07-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Pretty scary if this is the 'depth' that some people are referring to in regards to our oline.

No wonder Jason Peters is pulling his little stunt right now, he knows we need him.

~The Answer

patmoran2006
07-01-2008, 03:53 PM
This is Karl Malone's kid, right?

Ebenezer
07-01-2008, 04:08 PM
the bum plays football better than you....when's your tryout?

Dr. Lecter
07-01-2008, 04:10 PM
This is Karl Malone's kid, right?

Yes.
Many have said he has ability, but is raw and will need time.

But it seems as if many here already know he is worthless.

Mr. Pink
07-01-2008, 04:24 PM
If you want his autograph you have at most a month and a half.

After that he's gone.

Good luck!

TacklingDummy
07-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Many have said he has ability, but is raw and will need time.

Great. Just what we need another person with potential.

TacklingDummy
07-01-2008, 04:29 PM
the bum plays football better than you

How do you know that? You know what they say about those who assume.

Ebenezer
07-01-2008, 04:34 PM
How do you know that? You know what they say about those who assume.
when is your tryout? When and where you drafted? Did you play college or HS ball? Give us some stats. Put up or shut up.

tampabay25690
07-01-2008, 04:35 PM

Its funny when a guy is in the NFL and now is a bum....You must have a way better job then he does?

TacklingDummy
07-01-2008, 04:35 PM
when is your tryout? Put up or shut up.

Im on the wrong side of 30. Just because someone gets signed doesn't mean they are any good. Unless of course the Bills sign the player. Then that player has All-Pro potential. :rolleyes:

tampabay25690
07-01-2008, 04:37 PM
the bum plays football better than you....when's your tryout?

I agree iwth you on that comment when do we consider a guy in the NFL a bum......I have to say sometimes i can't even come on this site because of some of the LOW LIFES that post......I bet he isn't posting on a BILLS board everyday!!!

TacklingDummy
07-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Its funny when a guy is in the NFL and now is a bum

Big deal.

OJ played football and he's a bum.
Same with Lynch and many other players.
The NBA is full of gifted athletes that are bums.

Ebenezer
07-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Im on the wrong side of 30. Just because someone gets signed doesn't mean they are any good. Unless of course the Bills sign the player. Then that player has All-Pro potential. :rolleyes:
Does the name Jason Peters ring a bell?? He had a tryout. Did you ever have one?

TacklingDummy
07-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Did you ever have one?

Did you? And please stay on topic. Oh wait, I see MOD by your name. It's ok for you to get off topic. :rolleyes:

The Answer
07-01-2008, 04:42 PM
I knew I would use this emoticon someday.

:popcorn:

~The Answer

Ebenezer
07-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Did you? And please stay on topic. Oh wait, I see MOD by your name. It's ok for you to get off topic. :rolleyes:
nope...never did...you're turn.

TacklingDummy
I knew I would use this emoticon someday.

:popcorn:

~The Answer

Eb has been stalking my posts lately. :up:

TacklingDummy
nope...never did...you're turn.

Nope, I hardly think it matters at all.

The Answer
07-01-2008, 04:45 PM

I guess I'm no longer #1 on the Mod's most wanted list then - be careful TD, this entire thread is bound to be heading to the spam zone in 3, 2, 1....

~The Answer

Ebenezer
07-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Nope, I hardly think it matters at all.
sure it does...you have the nerve to call the guy a bum. We have no clue if he will pan out. My statement remains correct. He plays football better than you do/did/ever will. Remember, Jason Peters? You glossed over that post. The guy is an All-Pro. He wasn't even drafted. Once the guy bottoms out feel free to call him what you want.

Mr. Pink
07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Of course Bell has more talent and ability than any of us...that still doesn't mean he's an NFL caliber player.

JP/Akili Smith/Couch/Ware all had/have more QB ability than any of us do too, and they're not NFL caliber players either.

Just because we sign some fodder doesn't mean they're gonna pan out and be the next big thing. While guys like Bell, yes, have more talent and ability than us they are equal to us in one simple fact...they have as much of a chance as we do as being a member of the Buffalo Bills come September.

Ebenezer
07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
We mods stalk all posts....it's our job.

Ebenezer
07-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Of course Bell has more talent and ability than any of us...that still doesn't mean he's an NFL caliber player.

JP/Akili Smith/Couch/Ware all had/have more QB ability than any of us do too, and they're not NFL caliber players either.

Just because we sign some fodder doesn't mean they're gonna pan out and be the next big thing. While guys like Bell, yes, have more talent and ability than us they are equal to us in one simple fact...they have as much of a chance as we do as being a member of the Buffalo Bills come September.
plenty of unsigned, undrafted FAs make teams all the time. Some of you will argue to argue.

TacklingDummy
07-01-2008, 04:50 PM
plenty of unsigned, undrafted FAs make teams all the time. Some of you will argue to argue.

And plenty more don't.
Some of you will argue to argue.

Mr. Pink
07-01-2008, 04:51 PM

Plenty? At odds of what? 2%? I'll be nice and give you 10%.

So there's a 90 percent chance that he won't wear a jersey on Sundays...wasn't drafted and was unsigned til now, but he's a diamond in the rough because we signed him?

Every team signs some warm bodies to be tackling dummy's, pylons, obstacles to go through camp.

Where's Mikey? He should make sure a spot is left available at Wegmans in September for Mr. Bell.

Ebenezer
07-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Plenty? At odds of what? 2%? I'll be nice and give you 10%.

So there's a 90 percent chance that he won't wear a jersey on Sundays...wasn't drafted and was unsigned til now, but he's a diamond in the rough because we signed him?

Every team signs some warm bodies to be tackling dummy's, pylons, obstacles to go through camp.

Where's Mikey? He should make sure a spot is left available at Wegmans in September for Mr. Bell.
you missed the point...he still plays football better than anybody who posts on this board and he has a chance to make the NFL - none of us will. Who are we to call him a bum until he proves he can't play at this level? That's all that was said. I never touted him as anything more than training camp fodder. But would any of us say, "no thanks, really, I'm a bum. I won't report. Give somebody else a chance"? Please.

Mitchy moo
07-01-2008, 05:02 PM
you missed the point...he still plays football better than anybody who posts on this board and he has a chance to make the NFL - none of us will. Who are we to call him a bum until he proves he can't play at this level? That's all that was said. I never touted him as anything more than training camp fodder. But would any of us say, "no thanks, really, I'm a bum. I won't report. Give somebody else a chance"? Please.

He has his chance via the Bills giving it to him, not because someone says he does not on here. Obviously, the odds are greater he fails to perform and disappears like many of them but yet we continue to focus on the one that did. Look at Peters and what he did, wow he is great. He is also being a Dickhead right now and not showing up to play because his greatness feels he outplayed his contract, that he just signed. So even when we do find a diamond in the rough, it can turns back into a coal problem. Please just keep that all in mind.

PECKERWOOD
07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Big deal.

OJ played football and he's a bum.
Same with Lynch and many other players.
The NBA is full of gifted athletes that are bums.

Lynch isn't a bum.

Tatonka
07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
dbags like op and tackling dummy would have never wasted the time to sign jason peters either.

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 06:45 PM
dbags like op and tackling dummy would have never wasted the time to sign jason peters either.

sure it does...you have the nerve to call the guy a bum. We have no clue if he will pan out. My statement remains correct. He plays football better than you do/did/ever will. Remember, Jason Peters? You glossed over that post. The guy is an All-Pro. He wasn't even drafted. Once the guy bottoms out feel free to call him what you want.

Can we PLEASE stop using the exception to prove the rule? For every Jason Peters, there's 99 similar guys who falls of the face of the earth. For every Colston, there's 50 receivers who suck their first year.

"I'm going to do this because 1 out of every 100 times, I'm going to get the outcome I want."

The logic is absolutely ridiculous. The fact that something worked one time with a different player on a different team in a different position has NOTHING to do with this situation. Odds are this guy's going nowhere- deal with it.

Dr. Lecter
07-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Of course those are the odds.

But it is not a guarentee that he fails. He is a 7th round pick who has athletic ability.

He has a CHANCE to develop. Can we do that before we throw him under the bus?

Or is that not allowed?

Ebenezer
07-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Of course those are the odds.

But it is not a guarentee that he fails. He is a 7th round pick who has athletic ability.

He has a CHANCE to develop. Can we do that before we throw him under the bus?

Or is that not allowed?
hey...come on...only those guys drafted like fourth overall are worth anything.

Night Train
07-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Practice Squad candidate with possible future returns. Low risk gamble.

I only needed one post to say that.

TigerJ
07-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Pretty scary if this is the 'depth' that some people are referring to in regards to our oline.

No wonder Jason Peters is pulling his little stunt right now, he knows we need him.

~The Answer

Tackle is one area where the Bills depth is pretty weak. If Peters holds out, the depth chart for left tackle reads Kirk Chambers-Matt Murphy-Name a Scrub. Demetrius Bell might end up being a real find, but he's not going to be ready to start at left tackle in the NFL until his third season under the best of conditions. My best hopw, if Peters holds out, is that Murphy can pack on enough muscle to at least be adequate. I don't thin Kirk Chambers has any upside at all. What you see is what you get. Maybe the Bills would fip Walker over to the left side, but I think he's a far more natural right tackle.

FlyingDutchman
07-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Woo-hoo! Camp Fodder!

I remember an undrafted TE who was supposed to be camp fodder.

Ebenezer
07-01-2008, 08:39 PM
same guy who is now holding out for huge sums of money? :$:

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 08:48 PM

and I DON'T remember roughly 100 or so players since Jason Peters who were supposed to be camp fodder because they became camp fodder and were never heard from again.

It is what it is- a long shot.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have signed him. They need bodies for camp and there's a small chance he'll turn out to be useful, but a much greater chance that this will be the last time we ever discuss him. It's just nothing to get excited about.

FlyingDutchman
07-01-2008, 08:57 PM
and I DON'T remember roughly 100 or so players since Jason Peters who were supposed to be camp fodder because they became camp fodder and were never heard from again.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have signed him. They need bodies for camp and there's a small chance he'll turn out to be useful, but a much greater chance that this will be the last time we ever discuss him. It's just nothing to get excited about.

agreed. ya just never know though. linemen seem to have a better history of being later round or undrafted pick ups and turning into something productive. lets hope. this is one kid many fans will be pulling for.

Mitchy moo
07-01-2008, 08:57 PM

It's all about percentage and there is a 99% chance this guy disappears. Some on here still want to use our holdout Peters as an example, he is an exception to a rule. You don't count or base your life on exceptions.

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
agreed. ya just never know though. linemen seem to have a better history of being later round or undrafted pick ups and turning into something productive. lets hope. this is one kid many fans will be pulling for.

definitely- we need depth on the OL and if he can help, great.

Bert102176
07-02-2008, 02:17 AM
so how much of a bum was Davis when the Broncos took him in the late rounds, y be an a-hole and count a guy out till he has had a chance

mysticsoto
07-02-2008, 07:22 AM
definitely- we need depth on the OL and if he can help, great.

That's the type of thinking everyone should have w/r/t Bell. He has great potential and should be put in the PS this year. Next year, we have to hope that he replaces Kirk Chambers and can actually make the team as backup. But for now, he's in the potential category and considering that we could use some good depth - he's an excellent prospect to develop!

Saratoga Slim
07-02-2008, 07:51 AM
there's a small chance he'll turn out to be useful, but a much greater chance that this will be the last time we ever discuss him. It's just nothing to get excited about.

This is your general viewpoint on the Bills in a nutshell Op.

The same can be said for anyone -- there's probably a 50/50 chance that even Marcus Stroud doesn't live up to expectations. We all understand the long odds that Bell will be a star for us, but isn't it more fun to at least discuss the possibility that he might be? I don't EXPECT anything out of the kid, but at this point I'd rather look at his potential for success than ignore him because of his likelihood of failure.

It's like opening a Christmas present from your parents--chances are it's going to be a gay sweater, but when it's wrapped up under the tree you still have to have at least a little glimmer of excitement.

Bulldog
07-02-2008, 08:03 AM
It's like opening a Christmas present from your parents--chances are it's going to be a gay sweater, but when it's wrapped up under the tree you still have to have at least a little glimmer of excitement.

Thats freakin great! And all too true.

OpIv37
07-02-2008, 08:09 AM
This is your general viewpoint on the Bills in a nutshell Op.

The same can be said for anyone -- there's probably a 50/50 chance that even Marcus Stroud doesn't live up to expectations. We all understand the long odds that Bell will be a star for us, but isn't it more fun to at least discuss the possibility that he might be? I don't EXPECT anything out of the kid, but at this point I'd rather look at his potential for success than ignore him because of his likelihood of failure.

well there certainly are no definites, but if it's between Stroud and Bell, the smart money is on Stroud. Some players (like Stroud) have shown the ability to play at the NFL level and that's a pretty good indicator of future success. Bell hasn't shown that ability (although admittedly he hasn't had the opportunity yet) and NFL GM's passed on him 218 times in the draft, so it doesn't bode well for him that the experts ranked him 219th.

For you, and others here, it might be more fun to discuss the possibilities. For me, it's more fun to have reasonable expectations and try to come up with accurate predictions for the season. Neither is right or wrong- it's just a different way of looking at it.

Philagape
07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
you missed the point...he still plays football better than anybody who posts on this board and he has a chance to make the NFL - none of us will.

Why is that a point? He's not competing with us to make the team.

What if a second-string player from UB tried out? Can we call him a bum, even though he likely does what he does better than most of us would?

If people could only comment on things they personally do, this would be a pretty silent world. I don't think anyone here's qualified to be president, so that would be the end of the Spin Zone.

History and observation and likelihoods are more than enough to talk about.

The worst thing that happens on a message board is when people complain about seeing opinions they don't like, especially with ridiculous, irrelevant rationale like "let's see YOU do better."

Jan Reimers
07-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Many posters here seem to overlook the wonderful unpredictability, and the total mystery, of sports. That's what makes it fun. A UDFA becomes a star. The Giants win the Super Bowl. A number one overall draft pick is a total bust.

It happens in all sports. It's why we watch. If everything were determined on paper, there would be no need to play the games.

Why not dream, and hope, and believe in your team, rather than over analyzing everything and basing all of your views on odds, past history and statistical analyses.

It's sports. It's unpredictable. It should be fun.

OpIv37
07-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Why not dream, and hope, and believe in your team, rather than over analyzing everything and basing all of your views on odds, past history and statistical analyses.

well I can't speak for everyone here, but my undergrad degree is in political science and my grad degree is in public policy. I spent seven years of my life learning how to over-analyze things, so it's second nature at this point.

Jan Reimers
07-02-2008, 09:46 AM
well I can't speak for everyone here, but my undergrad degree is in political science and my grad degree is in public policy. I spent seven years of my life learning how to over-analyze things, so it's second nature at this point.
I too have a B.A. in Political Science, and over 40 years in the telecommunications industry, the last 23 years as a consultant. I just wrote pre-filed testimony for a client in Montana concerning a very complex case against Qwest Communications.

The beauty of being a Bills' fan is that I don't have to do this kind of stuff when I'm engaged in what is a fun and interesting hobby. I don't have to over-analyze, over-write and over-argue. I can pull for my team and hope and be optimistic. I can have fun.

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2008, 09:48 AM

You also learned how to be overly cynical and pessimistic.

Saratoga Slim
07-02-2008, 10:17 AM
well there certainly are no definites, but if it's between Stroud and Bell, the smart money is on Stroud. Some players (like Stroud) have shown the ability to play at the NFL level and that's a pretty good indicator of future success. Bell hasn't shown that ability (although admittedly he hasn't had the opportunity yet) and NFL GM's passed on him 218 times in the draft, so it doesn't bode well for him that the experts ranked him 219th.

For you, and others here, it might be more fun to discuss the possibilities. For me, it's more fun to have reasonable expectations and try to come up with accurate predictions for the season. Neither is right or wrong- it's just a different way of looking at it.

I hear you dog. I wasn't putting you down, I was just noting the philisophical difference in your point of view versus mine.

I fully agree that there's about 0% chance that Bell will help us at all this year, and am thus onboard the realism train in that regard. But at the same time, I'd rather look at the kid as an interesting prospect for the long term as opposed to a likely bust. just a different way of looking at things I guess.

Saratoga Slim
07-02-2008, 10:21 AM

I'm a lawyer - also trained to overanalyze - and yet still find a way to be mildly homeristic!!

justasportsfan
07-02-2008, 10:22 AM
your over analyzation still owes me 5,000 zb's :mad:

OpIv37
07-02-2008, 10:29 AM
your over analyzation still owes me 5,000 zb's :mad:

really? from what?

madness
07-02-2008, 11:00 AM
This thread is awesome.

FlyingDutchman
07-02-2008, 11:21 AM
I spent seven years of my life learning how to over-analyze things, so it's second nature at this point.

Lol, i think im starting to finally understand you OP

justasportsfan
07-02-2008, 12:50 PM
really? from what?
Total defense rushing. OUr bet is that our D would do better than the year before.

Ebenezer
07-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I too have a B.A. in Political Science, and over 40 years in the telecommunications industry, the last 23 years as a consultant. I just wrote pre-filed testimony for a client in Montana concerning a very complex case against Qwest Communications.

The beauty of being a Bills' fan is that I don't have to do this kind of stuff when I'm engaged in what is a fun and interesting hobby. I don't have to over-analyze, over-write and over-argue. I can pull for my team and hope and be optimistic. I can have fun.
I used to work as a consultant and over analyzed testimony until it came out of my ears. I am cynical and pessimistic when needed. Sometimes though you have to be a little positive or life just stinks.

OpIv37
07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I used to work as a consultant and over analyzed testimony until it came out of my ears. I am cynical and pessimistic when needed. Sometimes though you have to be a little positive or life just stinks.

Life still stinks- the people who know how to be positive just pretend that it doesn't.

justasportsfan
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Life still stinks- the people who know how to be positive just pretend that it doesn't.
Sorry to hear about your life . Mine is wonderful.

John Doe
07-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I really like Bell as a 7th round draft pick and I like the fact that he is now under contract.

Good size (6'5")

Good agility

Good work ethic

Good pedigree

Make no mistake: this is good news.

Ebenezer
07-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Life stinks??

Sorry. Not in my house. My family and I are all healthy. I have a job I love doing. A wife who loves me despite all my faults. Two kids that keep me busy and young. I have three siblings and their spouses who are my confidents and are closer to me than anybody has ever been. I own my own home on 1.5 acres of land. I live in an area where I make enough money that I don't worry about the small things. My bills are paid and I have very little debt. Oh, yeah, sometimes I get to have fun rooting for my favorite sports teams and if they lose?? I still have all the things I listed above......and much more.

Mitchy moo
07-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Life stinks??

Sorry. Not in my house. My family and I are all healthy. I have a job I love doing. A wife who loves me despite all my faults. Two kids that keep me busy and young. I have three siblings and their spouses who are my confidents and are closer to me than anybody has ever been. I own my own home on 1.5 acres of land. I live in an area where I make enough money that I don't worry about the small things. My bills are paid and I have very little debt. Oh, yeah, sometimes I get to have fun rooting for my favorite sports teams and if they lose?? I still have all the things I listed above......and much more.

I have similiar things going on as well, I'm proud of you EB!!

Ebenezer
07-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I have similiar things going on as well, I'm proud of you EB!!
...and all without the knicks and cuts of a blade!!