PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Oprik

patmoran2006
07-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Im busy at work and dont have time to surf around. Anyone sign him yet?

Nighthawk
07-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Im busy at work and dont have time to surf around. Anyone sign him yet?

No, nothing on the Orpik front that I can find.

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I found this on ESPN INsider:

The paper (Columbus Dispatch) said Penguins D Brooks Orpik and Senators D Mike Commodore are possibilities for Columbus' need for a big, physical blue-liner.

The Sabres have plenty of room under the salary cap and with a physical defenseman atop their wish list, they might make a run at Penguins D Brooks Orpik, according to The Buffalo News.

Orpik grew up nearby in East Amherst, N.Y.

"Buffalo is a place he'd definitely want to come," Andrew Orpik, Brooks' brother and a Sabres prospect, told The News. "He grew up here, and he's got a special bond with the place."

The paper said the Sabres have about $39.4M committed to players so far and the NHL salary cap is now $56.7M.

"We'll be above the midpoint," Sabres GM Darcy Regier told The News. "How far above, we'll wait and see. We have some room, not a lot of room."

Some of the spending will need to go to their restricted free agents: Paul Gaustad, Daniel Paille, Steve Bernier, Clarke MacArthur and Mark Mancari.

Nothing but speculation, and I'm pretty sure the Sabres piece was already posted here. FYI the Columbus piece was more recent, although there are no time stamps.

Dr. Lecter
07-01-2008, 06:21 PM
I read somewhere that he might be asking almost 5 million per.

That is too much for him, as nice as he would be to have.

RockStar36
07-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Agreed.

He is my number one choice but not at that price tag.

Dr. Lecter
07-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Looks like the Sabres are out.

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/2008/07/orpik-not-comin.html

I just got off the phone with Darcy Regier. The Sabres will not be in the final running for the services of Brooks Orpik.
"We did have conversations," Regier told me. "I don't expect to be a part of that going forward."

raphael120
07-01-2008, 08:30 PM

I just got off the phone with Darcy Regier. The Sabres will not be in the final running for the services of Brooks Orpik.
"We did have conversations," Regier told me. "I don't expect to be a part of that going forward."

Son of a *****.

SabreEleven
07-01-2008, 08:33 PM

and this is surprising how?

SabreEleven
07-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Agreed.

He is my number one choice but not at that price tag.

You aren't paying attention are you? YOU HAVE TO OVER PAY TO GET ANYBODY IN FREE AGENCY THESE DAYS>

raphael120
07-01-2008, 08:36 PM
You aren't paying attention are you? YOU HAVE TO OVER PAY TO GET ANYBODY IN FREE AGENCY THESE DAYS>

And Sabres would rather overpay their own average guys than overpay for a top tier FA.

Ebenezer
07-01-2008, 08:41 PM
And Sabres would rather overpay their own average guys than overpay for a top tier FA.
top tier?? the guy was an unknown before this season. not exactly a Norris winner. He is going to get good money. The Sabres do the right thing for a change and they get criticized.

chernobylwraiths
07-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I found this on ESPN INsider:

Nothing but speculation, and I'm pretty sure the Sabres piece was already posted here. FYI the Columbus piece was more recent, although there are no time stamps.

Well, at least Columbus is out of the running with them getting Commodore.

We could get a guy like Jason Smith for a lot less than Orpik. Big, bruiser, heavy hitter. Unless of course we get McKee back in a trade. I still want Smith though.

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Well, at least Columbus is out of the running with them getting Commodore.

We could get a guy like Jason Smith for a lot less than Orpik. Big, bruiser, heavy hitter. Unless of course we get McKee back in a trade. I still want Smith though.

I wouldn't mind getting McKee back. If he's healthy we win that Game 7.....

Nighthawk
07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
I don't care if they sign FA's, but they better move some of the players who were on this team last year. Make a trade, move some players and improve the makeup of this team. I'd be happy with that.

OpIv37
07-01-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't care if they sign FA's, but they better move some of the players who were on this team last year. Make a trade, move some players and improve the makeup of this team. I'd be happy with that.

are you suggesting that the same team that wasn't good enough this past season won't be good enough in the upcoming season either?

That's crazy talk!

Nighthawk
07-01-2008, 09:16 PM
are you suggesting that the same team that wasn't good enough this past season won't be good enough in the upcoming season either?

That's crazy talk!

I know...I must be freaking out! How ridiculous can I be!:oops:

clumping platelets
07-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Status quo does not win the cup

camelcowboy
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Status quo does not win the cup
e564368

Michael82
07-02-2008, 12:53 AM

Looks like Larry and Tom are being cheap again!

At this rate, the only defenseman that we will sign is Teppo. :ill:

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2008, 05:20 AM
Looks like Larry and Tom are being cheap again!

At this rate, the only defenseman that we will sign is Teppo. :ill:

If he is looking for 4.5 + a season they are being smart.

Overpaying for players is stupid.

Calling them cheap without knowing the money being dicussed is over-reacting. Orpik is a nive player, but lets not pay him more than Roy. That would be dumb.

jamze132
07-02-2008, 07:34 AM
If any ONE of our defensemen that missed tham game were healthy, we would have won...the Stanley Cup.

SabreEleven
07-02-2008, 08:13 AM

But they will overpay cheaper for their own guys.

SabreEleven
07-02-2008, 08:15 AM
top tier?? the guy was an unknown before this season. not exactly a Norris winner. He is going to get good money. The Sabres do the right thing for a change and they get criticized.

when was the last time the Sabres did the right thing?

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Extendng Gaustad. Extending Hecht. Trading Campbell.

Not overpaying Orpik (as of now).

SabreEleven
07-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Extendng Gaustad. Extending Hecht. Trading Campbell.

Not overpaying Orpik (as of now).

All this doing right hasn't brought them ****... Maybe it is time to do this wrong since right NEVER worked. (to a degree)

Michael82
07-02-2008, 10:02 AM
If he is looking for 4.5 + a season they are being smart.

Overpaying for players is stupid.

Calling them cheap without knowing the money being dicussed is over-reacting. Oprik is a nive player, but lets not pay him more than Roy. That would be dumb.
Roy is officially underpaid now. If he was a FA as of this date, he would have gotten $6-7 million per year. Giving Orpik $4.5 or even $5 is not that bad and he would improve our team. Remember, we didn't even make the ****ing playoffs last year. Why the hell wouldn't we want to IMPROVE? :rolleyes:

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Roy is officially underpaid now. If he was a FA as of this date, he would have gotten $7 million per year. Giving Orpik $4.5 or even $5 is not that bad and he would improve our team. Remember, we didn't even make the ****ing playoffs last year. Why the hell wouldn't we want to IMPROVE? :rolleyes:

Of course they want to improve. Nobody said they did not. Don't put words in people's mouth.

What has Orpik accomplished in his career to deserve 4.5 or 5 million a year?

Vanek - 7 million
Roy 4 million
Miller 6 million (estimate)
Pominville 6 million (estimate)

That is already 23 million for 4 guys. Add Orpik for 5 and you have 28 million for 5 guys.

It is about more than one year, especially with guarenteed deals.

JD
07-02-2008, 11:35 AM
:rage:

Man, if he would have just sucked it up for one ****ing game!!!!

(alright sorry, back on track with this thread!)

ddaryl
07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
If any ONE of our defensemen that missed tham game were healthy, we would have won...the Stanley Cup.

but we didn't and pretty much the majority of the moves we have made since that game has made the team worse, not better...

that's is mind boggling to me.. we were maybe 1- 2 players away from complete league dominance and we instead high tailed it in the opposite direction.

Philagape
07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Add Orpik for 5 and you have 24 million for 5 guys.

GOOD. That's the way it should be. Detroit, Philly and Dallas all topped that last year, and now Detroit now has five guys making over 30 million. I just added up their top 25 salaries, including Hossa, and they're under the cap.
There's room for it.

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
GOOD. That's the way it should be. Detroit, Philly and Dallas all topped that last year, and now Detroit now has five guys making over 30 million. I just added up their top 25 salaries, including Hossa, and they're under the cap.
There's room for it.
I just fixed it and it would be 28 million.

The problem with that is if the deals are all long term, you will end up with a team full of Mike Ryan's and Nate Paestch's as well.

Detroit's deals are not all long term.

Philagape
07-02-2008, 12:55 PM
I just fixed it and it would be 28 million.

The problem with that is if the deals are all long term, you will end up with a team full of Mike Ryan's and Nate Paestch's as well.

Detroit's deals are not all long term.

I'll trade some lean rebuilding years if it means taking genuine shots at Cups. Cups are all that matters.

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2008, 12:57 PM
In the world of pro sports, most championships are not made of teams that built themselves up through FA and spending big bucks. Most are built internally with small outside additions.

Philagape
07-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Like Patrick Lalime small?

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Doesn't look good on the Orpick Front.

Still on the free agent market as far as defense goes includes Amherst native Brooks Orpik, former Columbus Blue Jacket Ron Hainsey along with last year's Flyers captain Jason Smith. When asked about Orpik, Regier told reporters they were interested but doesn't think the market will coincide with how much they are willing to offer.

RockStar36
07-02-2008, 04:30 PM
I heard that Orpik signed with Pittsburgh and if the numbers are correct it is going to be EXTREMELY difficult for me to defend the Sabres. I am going to be pissed if they could've gotten Orpik for that amount.

At this point it is Jason Smith or bust.

Dr. Pepper
07-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Orpik back to Pittsburgh for about 3.5 a year, 6 years.

Philagape
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I heard that Orpik signed with Pittsburgh and if the numbers are correct it is going to be EXTREMELY difficult for me to defend the Sabres. I am going to be pissed if they could've gotten Orpik for that amount.

Welcome to the dark side.

THATHURMANATOR
07-02-2008, 05:30 PM

Again I will wait until the first game is played before I complain either way. Who was Orpik before this season? Although I did think he was going to get more than this.

Jason Smith? Not huge on him at this stage of his career but he would add some leadership. Wonder what he is asking for.

Dr. Pepper
07-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Again I will wait until the first game is played before I complain either way. Who was Orpik before this season? Although I did think he was going to get more than this.

Jason Smith? Not huge on him at this stage of his career but he would add some leadership. Wonder what he is asking for.

Before this past season, Orpik was just "that guy who broke Erik Cole's neck."

OpIv37
07-02-2008, 06:50 PM
In the world of pro sports, most championships are not made of teams that built themselves up through FA and spending big bucks. Most are built internally with small outside additions.

we're not talking about throwing money around like crazy- we're talking about adding one solid defenseman and maybe a little bit of scoring. 2-3 players max. That's hardly "building up through FA."

This team had clear deficiencies and some of us would rather see the team address them now rather than saying "let's build up from the inside and in 3-4 years someone from the farm system will be ready to fill the need!"

SabreEleven
07-02-2008, 06:58 PM
and the Sabres couldn't have afforded this?

Sources tell TSN Brooks Orpik (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2190) has agreed to a 6 year, 22.5 million dollar deal to remain with the Pittsburgh Penguins. The contract averages 3.75 million per year.

Philagape
07-02-2008, 07:02 PM
and the Sabres couldn't have afforded this?

Sources tell TSN Brooks Orpik (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2190) has agreed to a 6 year, 22.5 million dollar deal to remain with the Pittsburgh Penguins. The contract averages 3.75 million per year.

I wonder if it was the length of the deal that turned them off.

Ebenezer
07-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I wonder if it was the length of the deal that turned them off.
I'll agree on that....and did Orpik give the Pens a hometown discount? Was he asking more than $4mil from other teams? We'll never know.

Philagape
07-02-2008, 07:09 PM
I'll agree on that....and did Orpik give the Pens a hometown discount? Was he asking more than $4mil from other teams? We'll never know.

He could have given his hometown a hometown discount.

More likely an I'm-more-likely-to-win-a-Cup-here discount.

Ebenezer
07-02-2008, 07:13 PM
He could have given his hometown a hometown discount.

More likely an I'm-more-likely-to-win-a-Cup-here discount.
Why give Buffalo a discount?? To play in front of fans that ***** about everything? Can you imagine the pressure he would have been under had he signed here?

RockStar36
07-02-2008, 07:14 PM

Jason Smith has been a captain for two different teams and his leadership would be huge for the young guys. Plus he is an older, slower d-man but a very physical one and I think that is exactly what this team needs.

SabreEleven
07-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Why give Buffalo a discount?? To play in front of fans that ***** about everything? Can you imagine the pressure he would have been under had he signed here?

and stuff like this is why we *****.

OpIv37
07-02-2008, 08:26 PM

yeah, because Pittsburgh fans don't care if their team fails and never get frustrated by years of mediocrity. That only happens in Buffalo :rolleyes:

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Roy is officially underpaid now. If he was a FA as of this date, he would have gotten $6-7 million per year. Giving Orpik $4.5 or even $5 is not that bad and he would improve our team. Remember, we didn't even make the ****ing playoffs last year. Why the hell wouldn't we want to IMPROVE? :rolleyes:

Looks like Orpik for 5 million would have got the deal done, but he was overvalued by fans.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
yeah, because Pittsburgh fans don't care if their team fails and never get frustrated by years of mediocrity. That only happens in Buffalo :rolleyes:
Come on, if he would have signed with Buffalo ever fan here would have been screaming at him if he was a disappointment. Look at the expectations this town heaps on guys like Kaleta (hometowner) and Bernier (former 1st rounder). Many would have expected him to walk on melted ice.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Looks like Orpik for 5 million would have got the deal done, but he was overvalued by fans.
I don't deny I over valued him.

OpIv37
07-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Come on, if he would have signed with Buffalo ever fan here would have been screaming at him if he was a disappointment. Look at the expectations this town heaps on guys like Kaleta (hometowner) and Bernier (former 1st rounder). Many would have expected him to walk on melted ice.

and your point is?

You think it's any different in Detroit or Toronto? What about other sports- the Yankees or the Cowboys?

Pressure is an occupational hazard of playing pro sports- if you can't deal with it, get a different job.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 11:30 AM
and your point is?

You think it's any different in Detroit or Toronto? What about other sports- the Yankees or the Cowboys?

Pressure is an occupational hazard of playing pro sports- if you can't deal with it, get a different job.
In Buffalo you are a big fish in a little pond. Also, because the pond is so small the other fish are a lot more audible...huge difference...Drury didn't inspire awe in the Rangers last year. I am sure he was able to go to the store, restaurants and theatres without being bugged. Had he had that year here he would have been roasted.

OpIv37
07-03-2008, 11:31 AM
In Buffalo you are a big fish in a little pond. Also, because the pond is so small the other fish are a lot more audible...huge difference...Drury didn't inspire awe in the Rangers last year. I am sure he was able to go to the store, restaurants and theatres without being bugged. Had he had that year here he would have been roasted.

so, fans holding players accountable for their performance is now a bad thing?

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 11:40 AM
so, fans holding players accountable for their performance is now a bad thing?
Do you put words into everybody's mouth just to hear your own thoughts?

Let me be plain:
1. Fans *****.
2. Players know fans *****.
3. Players who play in smaller cities are more easily recognized.
4. Fans in smaller cities have a greater chance of being heard.
5. People (players included) don't necessarily like hearing the criticism all the time and being recognized in public or having their kids teased.
6. Players like to "blend in" like people who work in other sectors because they get sick of dealing with the crap.

Don't you get it? I thank you kindly not to put words in my posts.

OpIv37
07-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Do you put words into everybody's mouth just to hear your own thoughts?

Let me be plain:
1. Fans *****.
2. Players know fans *****.
3. Players who play in smaller cities are more easily recognized.
4. Fans in smaller cities have a greater chance of being heard.
5. People (players included) don't necessarily like hearing the criticism all the time and being recognized in public or having their kids teased.
6. Players like to "blend in" like people who work in other sectors because they get sick of dealing with the crap.

Don't you get it? I thank you kindly not to put words in my posts.

No, I don't get it. If players want to be like other people, then they should get the same jobs that other people have. They get paid millions to play a damn game, and one of the drawbacks is that they have to hear criticism from fans and the media. Trust me- it's worth the compensation.

Players don't get to choose a career that puts them in the spotlight then ***** that they're in the spotlight. Suck it up.

Either that, or do your damn job correctly so no one has a reason to *****.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 12:01 PM
No, I don't get it. If players want to be like other people, then they should get the same jobs that other people have. They get paid millions to play a damn game, and one of the drawbacks is that they have to hear criticism from fans and the media. Trust me- it's worth the compensation.

Players don't get to choose a career that puts them in the spotlight then ***** that they're in the spotlight. Suck it up.

Either that, or do your damn job correctly so no one has a reason to *****.
Dude, they are guys playing a game. They do not make the contract rules they only live by them. You, YOU personally would be the first one to ***** if you were put under such scrutiny. :rolleyes:

OpIv37
07-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Dude, they are guys playing a game. They do not make the contract rules they only live by them. You, YOU personally would be the first one to ***** if you were put under such scrutiny. :rolleyes:

and I know that, which is why I took a job where I'm NOT under such scrutiny. If I hated working at a computer, then I'd be in the wrong damn job and I'd have no one to blame but myself.

If hockey players don't like the spotlight, they shouldn't have become hockey players in the first place.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 12:12 PM
and I know that, which is why I took a job where I'm NOT under such scrutiny. If I hated working at a computer, then I'd be in the wrong damn job and I'd have no one to blame but myself.

If hockey players don't like the spotlight, they shouldn't have become hockey players in the first place.
I make far less than anybody in sports. I took a job that I LOVE. More than I thought I could ever love it. And I am under scrutiny all the time. Kids start playing because they love the sport. Stop looking at everything with your adult cynical eye. Many players would play for almost nothing. The system is not set up by the players. They only function within it.

OpIv37
07-03-2008, 12:20 PM
I make far less than anybody in sports. I took a job that I LOVE. More than I thought I could ever love it. And I am under scrutiny all the time. Kids start playing because they love the sport. Stop looking at everything with your adult cynical eye. Many players would play for almost nothing. The system is not set up by the players. They only function within it.

if they want to play for nothing, there are plenty of places where they can play for nothing. No one said they had to make a career out of hockey just because they're good enough to make a career out of hockey. I could have worked in politics, but I chose not to because I can't stand all the pettiness and back-door deals. If I had taken one of those jobs then *****ed about it every day, it would be my own fault. Same with hockey players- they choose the career, they choose the baggage that comes with it.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
if they want to play for nothing, there are plenty of places where they can play for nothing. No one said they had to make a career out of hockey just because they're good enough to make a career out of hockey. I could have worked in politics, but I chose not to because I can't stand all the pettiness and back-door deals. If I had taken one of those jobs then *****ed about it every day, it would be my own fault. Same with hockey players- they choose the career, they choose the baggage that comes with it.
OP, stop *****ing. Go get some air.

OpIv37
07-03-2008, 12:42 PM
OP, stop *****ing. Go get some air.

I want to but I'm not so sure that it exists anymore.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 12:45 PM
I want to but I'm not so sure that it exists anymore.
Air exists...it just doesn't make a sound.

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Air exists...it just doesn't make a sound.

Eat Mighty Taco and tell me that.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Eat Mighty Taco and tell me that.
I am more than willing to tell you all how sound detection works...I refuse to discuss the physiology of flatulence on a message board. :lol: