PDA

View Full Version : When should we draft a QB?

The_Philster
04-22-2003, 05:28 PM
I was watching the Simoncast on Empire a little while ago and one caller brought up the idea of drafting a QB. I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on this.

Myself, I'd like to see us draft one late in this year's draft (maybe 5th or 6th round) as well as bring in an undrafted free agent. That would give us 5 QBs going into camp. Drew is set at #1 and AVP is pretty solid at #2, although Travis Brown has a chance of unseating him (albeit a slim one). What I propose is this. An open competition for the #3 slot between Brown, the draft pick, and the undrafted free agent. One guy gets the job, one gets the practice squad, and the other gets cut. Then, during the season, the #3 guy will get an amount of snaps as the #2 guy in practice as Alex doesn't need as many snaps as he's smart enough to grasp what the offense is intended to do.

:feedback:

Ebenezer
04-22-2003, 05:31 PM
I was convinced that they would not go QB this year but after signing Gary last night I would not be surprised if they did pick one late. They only have three now so what is the diff of picking one in the 6th or 7th or signing somebody off the street?

ArcticWildMan
04-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Dave Ragone may be an option if he is around 3rd round or later.

Schobel94
04-22-2003, 05:48 PM
Draft Ken Dorsey with a late pick, what do we have to lose? A 6 or 7 round pick, cmon.

hintexas
04-22-2003, 08:10 PM
Kliff Kinsbury with a 4th round pick. He can sling it. Get your guns up TT.

Demon
04-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Wait til next season and draft a QB then. Casey Clausen from Tennessee could be a steal with a 2nd rounder and hes got a great arm. There's alot of QB's next year who are decent but only one or two will be first rounders. Eli Manning of course is the best but we'll never be low enough to grab him. But David Greene (Georgia) or BJ Johnson (Texas) would be solid pickups also in the 2nd round if Clausen is not there at our pick. Either of those 3 QB's is much better then any QB in this draft that will be taken passed round 2.

Let teams take their QB's this year and then we could bring in a Clausen who could be a solid starting qb once Bledsoe days are over in Buffalo just like Pennington took over in NYJ last season.

Hopefully Clausen's value doesn't sky rocket becasue i really would like to get TE Kellen Winslow from Miami in the first round.... : )

Demon
04-22-2003, 08:34 PM
One more thing i forgot to add......

If we cant get a Clausen in the 2004 draft i dont think we'd have to worry too much anyways becasue 2005 draft has tons and tons of QB's. 2005 draft is the best QB draft in a long time.... one QB to keep an eye on that year is Marcus Vick.

ArcticWildMan
04-22-2003, 09:13 PM
2005 is too long to wait to draft a franchise QB. He wouldn't even be a factor till 2007. Drew will not be around that long!

DraftBoy
04-22-2003, 09:51 PM
I like Rob Admanson QB from Mount Union brought up here earlier. He is a major sleeper. Great size (6-4) and arm. Winning experience (34-0 as a starter). Unfortunately hes from a DIII school so the competition level is low but hes a worth a 6th, 7th, or FA.

Judge
04-22-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
2005 is too long to wait to draft a franchise QB. He wouldn't even be a factor till 2007. Drew will not be around that long!

Why do you say that? How old is Drew- 31? He can easily last until 2007.

Akhippo
04-22-2003, 10:35 PM
As said before. Kellen Winslow in the first and a QB in the second.

The Spaz
04-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Rob Adamson Mt. Union college grab him if available in ther 6th or 7th round the guy is 6-5 225 and has all sorts of records too many to name them all this late. Go Bills!

RedEyE
04-22-2003, 11:03 PM
Van Pelt and Travis Brown can get us through the season. I say wait until next season check FA and then the draft. Doug Johnson of the Falcons will be available to sign in 2004.

Steve-Mo
04-23-2003, 12:41 AM
I see the Bills drafting a QB in 2005. Maybe Marcus Vick, but I hope Miami gets him instead...

ArcticWildMan
04-23-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Judge

Why do you say that? How old is Drew- 31? He can easily last until 2007.

Go back and look at his past game films. Oh..and by the way..don't forget the one where he almsot lost his life due to internal bleeding.

Bledsoe has been pounded his entire career. He's not mobile like other older Qb's still in the game who can avoid the hits, and he has never really had a great line to protect him. I love the guy, but we got him for his twilight years. His best years are behind him, sadly. If he lasts till 2007, I'll be amazed!! 2006 will most likely be his last season with us, with 2005 not being out of the realm of possibility if things go wrong.

Captain gameboy
04-23-2003, 05:05 AM
Vick played his first game last Saturday in a spring session at VA Tech. He looked pretty good. Not good enough to start, but not bad.
He runs just like his brother.

Earthquake Enyart
04-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Seneca Wallace or Brad Banks in the 7th or wait until next year.

Steve-Mo
04-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Marcus is slightly slower than Miachael. Marcus has better "touch" on his passes though.

Pride
04-23-2003, 09:57 AM
3-5 round. Anyone later than that, is pointless.

Steve-Mo
04-23-2003, 10:02 AM
What QBs are even good after the 5th? Tom Brady? Yuck!

Judge
04-23-2003, 11:25 AM

Go back and look at his past game films. Oh..and by the way..don't forget the one where he almsot lost his life due to internal bleeding.

Bledsoe has been pounded his entire career. He's not mobile like other older Qb's still in the game who can avoid the hits, and he has never really had a great line to protect him. I love the guy, but we got him for his twilight years. His best years are behind him, sadly. If he lasts till 2007, I'll be amazed!! 2006 will most likely be his last season with us, with 2005 not being out of the realm of possibility if things go wrong.

Did you ever hear of Jim Kelly? He was not much more mobile than Drew and he lasted until age 37. Drew's healthy and the 2001 injury w/ the internal bleeding is ancient history- he played a whole season w/o problems from that. a non-issue.

Anyone can get hurt at anytime and have his career over. An unfortunate fact. That doesn't mean the Bills should waste a valuable draft pick out of fear of what might happen to Drew. He's as solid and healthy as any NFL QB, and is young. No need to worry.

The Spaz
04-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Yep his best years are behind him now he's only a Probowl quarterback....lol. Go Bills!

Demon
04-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Like i said unless an amazing year by Clausen he will be a second rounder becasue next year teams wont be picking QB's as much and Manning and someone else i forget are better. Clausen could be a future #1 in the NFL, his RB in Tennessee sucks, his o-line is not much better and his best WR was out all of last season and he still managed to get good #'s playing against good teams.

In 2005 the QB class is outstanding. I dont see any point of wasting a pick this year on a QB when we will prolly cut him soon and draft a QB in 2005 anyways. If all goes to worst like you said and our 2005 QB wont be ready til 2007 and Bledsoe isn't playing then theres no reason why we can't sign a Vet to a one year deal and play the draftee in 07'.

Also, drafting a QB this year will put alot more pressure on Travis Brown who might actually be our future #1. Putting more pressure on him could make him stuggle and then we'll see him bloom somewhere else in a few years. I say keep Van Pelt as #2 and Brown as #3 and next season go with a QB with one of the first 2 rounds. And if something goes wrong and we dont get the QB we cant in 04' we can wait and pick one of the money awsome qb's in 2005.

Judge
04-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Demon

In 2005 the QB class is outstanding. I dont see any point of wasting a pick this year on a QB when we will prolly cut him soon and draft a QB in 2005 anyways. If all goes to worst like you said and our 2005 QB wont be ready til 2007 and Bledsoe isn't playing then theres no reason why we can't sign a Vet to a one year deal and play the draftee in 07'.

Exactly- understand, AWM?

colin
04-23-2003, 01:37 PM

Wrong.