• Show
Clear All
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Orpik says Sabres never made him an offer

Orpik says Sabres never made him an offer
    By John Vogl - News Sports Reporter
    The Buffalo Sabres were convinced Brooks Orpik would command too much money. So they never even made him a contract offer.

The desire in Western New York to have a tough, home-grown defenseman on the Buffalo blue line didn’t reach HSBC Arena. The Sabres were never in the running for Orpik, the defenseman from East Amherst said Wednesday after re-signing with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

“They called my agent and asked what we were looking for,” Orpik said. “That was the only time we heard from them. They never came close to making a contract offer. They were way on the outside, to be honest.”

Orpik stayed in Pittsburgh after agreeing to a six-year deal worth $22.5 mil-lion. That’s $3.75 million per season, within an acceptable range during the summer shopping season. It’s the same yearly average Mike Commodore received from Columbus on Tuesday for a five-year deal. Both are big, physical defensemen, which is what the Sabres were expected to be seeking.

“Certainly, we have an interest in Brooks,” Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier said hours before Orpik signed, “but what he’s going to be able to do in the marketplace is going to exceed where we’re prepared to go. That aside, I think he’s a very good young hockey player, and he’s going to do very well.”

So .... who's available for 3.5 a year or less?
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion
  • SabreEleven
    • Aug 2002

Re: Orpik says Sabres never made him an offer

Still have confidence in the front office?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

In listening to WGR last night it was said that the team really wasn't big on Orpik, who until last years playoff run hadn't really established himself in the league.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SabreEleven
        Still have confidence in the front office?
        Yes this front office has built a team that went to a stanley cup and 2 conference finals. Lot more than you can say for many FO's out there.

Comment

• Bulldog
          Top Dog
          • Jan 2003

What a joke. You have a chance to bring a local kid home for a reasonable price at a position of need, and you pass. And I don't buy the fact that the Sabres didn't like him. They just didn't want to spend $3.5 million a year for his services. This team is a freakin mess.
          I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bulldog
            And I don't buy the fact that the Sabres didn't like him. They just didn't want to spend $3.5 million a year for his services.
            Which is exactly what Darcy said.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

What a joke. You have a chance to bring a local kid home for a reasonable price at a position of need, and you pass. And I don't buy the fact that the Sabres didn't like him. They just didn't want to spend $3.5 million a year for his services. This team is a freakin mess.
              Wait didn't they dish out 10 mil for Vanek last season and a 24 million dollar contract for Roy as well? Check out the Hossa to Detroit thread where there is a clear breakdown(at least to some) between revenues teams make and the salary cap. The Sabres made 74 mil last season(19th in the league) how do you expect them to pay the 56 mil cap, team expenses(travel, operating costs, Staff, coaches, equiptment etc) and still make a modest profit. You certainly are not crazy for wanting to win the cup because we all do badly but I think some need to take a close look at things before they acuse the FO of trying to sabotage the team

Comment

• Bulldog
                Top Dog
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Philagape
                Which is exactly what Darcy said.

I agree, and the problem is that Darcy and the Sabres management are completly out of touch with reality. $3.5 million per year is a reasonable price for a solid blue liner, which is exactly what Buffalo needs.
                I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Wow! What did the idiots think he was asking for $5 million per season? They were probably crying in their beers when they saw what he ended up signing for.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

I agree, and the problem is that Darcy and the Sabres management are completly out of touch with reality. $3.5 million per year is a reasonable price for a solid blue liner, which is exactly what Buffalo needs.
                    A solid blue liner who until last season was unknown outside of Buffalo and Pittsburgh. If he would have come here for $3.75 and sucked the fans would have given him more crap than others because he is from Buffalo. The kid did the right thing staying there. I wouldn't want to play in my hometown either...especially with fans that ***** about everything. The pressure on him would have been terrible.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                      Wow! What did the idiots think he was asking for $5 million per season? They were probably crying in their beers when they saw what he ended up signing for.
                      I was one...and I am shocked he went for under $4mil. Then again, we don't know how much of a hometown discount he gave them. He may have been asking for more to go to another team...which the Sabres could have gotten wind of...and decided that >$4million wasn't worth it.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                        Probably not.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                          I was one...and I am shocked he went for under $4mil. Then again, we don't know how much of a hometown discount he gave them. He may have been asking for more to go to another team...which the Sabres could have gotten wind of...and decided that >$4million wasn't worth it.
                          Seriously here guys. Before the playoff run last year I would have been shocked if the guy got 2 mil a year. He is a solid dman but lets not get crazy here.

Let me clarify that I would have been happy if they signed him to the deal he did end up getting but I am not going to through a Mikey82 or anything.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                            Wait didn't they dish out 10 mil for Vanek last season and a 24 million dollar contract for Roy as well? Check out the Hossa to Detroit thread where there is a clear breakdown(at least to some) between revenues teams make and the salary cap. The Sabres made 74 mil last season(19th in the league) how do you expect them to pay the 56 mil cap, team expenses(travel, operating costs, Staff, coaches, equiptment etc) and still make a modest profit. You certainly are not crazy for wanting to win the cup because we all do badly but I think some need to take a close look at things before they acuse the FO of trying to sabotage the team
                            you can't have it both ways.

When Drury and Briere left, everyone said "well, we didn't win the cup with them so maybe it's not a bad thing to move on."

Well guess what? We didn't win the cup with Roy or Vanek either, yet now the FO is supposed to get props for shelling out for them?

Orpik may not be the second coming of Ray Borque but look at our D: aging Pratt and Teppo, worthless Kalinin, Lydman who can't keep his head in the game, and unproven Paestch, Weber and Ryan. The only proven defenseman we have is Tallinder.

Orpik isn't the answer to all our problems, but for $3.75 million a year he'd have been a relatively cheap upgrade.

I understand why you're defending the FO for not giving $7 million a year to Campbell or $5 million a year to some middle-of-the-pack goaltender, but Orpik's contract is very reasonable by the current standards.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              you can't have it both ways.

When Drury and Briere left, everyone said "well, we didn't win the cup with them so maybe it's not a bad thing to move on."

Well guess what? We didn't win the cup with Roy or Vanek either, yet now the FO is supposed to get props for shelling out for them?

Orpik may not be the second coming of Ray Borque but look at our D: aging Pratt and Teppo, worthless Kalinin, Lydman who can't keep his head in the game, and unproven Paestch, Weber and Ryan. The only proven defenseman we have is Tallinder.

Orpik isn't the answer to all our problems, but for $3.75 million a year he'd have been a relatively cheap upgrade.

I understand why you're defending the FO for not giving $7 million a year to Campbell or $5 million a year to some middle-of-the-pack goaltender, but Orpik's contract is very reasonable by the current standards.
                              Not trying to have it both ways just reminding people that expensive and good deals have been made.

Making Orpik our highest paid Dman by over 700k doesn't necessarily make him a "cheap" upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X