PDA

View Full Version : Orpik says Sabres never made him an offer

Philagape
07-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Orpik says Sabres never made him an offer
By John Vogl - News Sports Reporter
The Buffalo Sabres were convinced Brooks Orpik would command too much money. So they never even made him a contract offer.

The desire in Western New York to have a tough, home-grown defenseman on the Buffalo blue line didn’t reach HSBC Arena. The Sabres were never in the running for Orpik, the defenseman from East Amherst said Wednesday after re-signing with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

“They called my agent and asked what we were looking for,” Orpik said. “That was the only time we heard from them. They never came close to making a contract offer. They were way on the outside, to be honest.”

Orpik stayed in Pittsburgh after agreeing to a six-year deal worth $22.5 mil-lion. That’s $3.75 million per season, within an acceptable range during the summer shopping season. It’s the same yearly average Mike Commodore received from Columbus on Tuesday for a five-year deal. Both are big, physical defensemen, which is what the Sabres were expected to be seeking.

“Certainly, we have an interest in Brooks,” Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier said hours before Orpik signed, “but what he’s going to be able to do in the marketplace is going to exceed where we’re prepared to go. That aside, I think he’s a very good young hockey player, and he’s going to do very well.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/384081.html

So .... who's available for 3.5 a year or less?

SabreEleven
07-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Still have confidence in the front office?

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
In listening to WGR last night it was said that the team really wasn't big on Orpik, who until last years playoff run hadn't really established himself in the league.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Still have confidence in the front office?
Yes this front office has built a team that went to a stanley cup and 2 conference finals. Lot more than you can say for many FO's out there.

Bulldog
07-03-2008, 09:14 AM
What a joke. You have a chance to bring a local kid home for a reasonable price at a position of need, and you pass. And I don't buy the fact that the Sabres didn't like him. They just didn't want to spend $3.5 million a year for his services. This team is a freakin mess.

Philagape
07-03-2008, 09:17 AM
And I don't buy the fact that the Sabres didn't like him. They just didn't want to spend $3.5 million a year for his services.

Which is exactly what Darcy said.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 09:18 AM
What a joke. You have a chance to bring a local kid home for a reasonable price at a position of need, and you pass. And I don't buy the fact that the Sabres didn't like him. They just didn't want to spend $3.5 million a year for his services. This team is a freakin mess.
Wait didn't they dish out 10 mil for Vanek last season and a 24 million dollar contract for Roy as well? Check out the Hossa to Detroit thread where there is a clear breakdown(at least to some) between revenues teams make and the salary cap. The Sabres made 74 mil last season(19th in the league) how do you expect them to pay the 56 mil cap, team expenses(travel, operating costs, Staff, coaches, equiptment etc) and still make a modest profit. You certainly are not crazy for wanting to win the cup because we all do badly but I think some need to take a close look at things before they acuse the FO of trying to sabotage the team

Bulldog
07-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Which is exactly what Darcy said.

I agree, and the problem is that Darcy and the Sabres management are completly out of touch with reality. $3.5 million per year is a reasonable price for a solid blue liner, which is exactly what Buffalo needs.

Michael82
07-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Wow! What did the idiots think he was asking for $5 million per season? They were probably crying in their beers when they saw what he ended up signing for. :ill:

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I agree, and the problem is that Darcy and the Sabres management are completly out of touch with reality. $3.5 million per year is a reasonable price for a solid blue liner, which is exactly what Buffalo needs.
A solid blue liner who until last season was unknown outside of Buffalo and Pittsburgh. If he would have come here for $3.75 and sucked the fans would have given him more crap than others because he is from Buffalo. The kid did the right thing staying there. I wouldn't want to play in my hometown either...especially with fans that ***** about everything. The pressure on him would have been terrible.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Wow! What did the idiots think he was asking for $5 million per season? They were probably crying in their beers when they saw what he ended up signing for. :ill:
I was one...and I am shocked he went for under $4mil. Then again, we don't know how much of a hometown discount he gave them. He may have been asking for more to go to another team...which the Sabres could have gotten wind of...and decided that >$4million wasn't worth it.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Probably not.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 09:44 AM
I was one...and I am shocked he went for under $4mil. Then again, we don't know how much of a hometown discount he gave them. He may have been asking for more to go to another team...which the Sabres could have gotten wind of...and decided that >$4million wasn't worth it.
Seriously here guys. Before the playoff run last year I would have been shocked if the guy got 2 mil a year. He is a solid dman but lets not get crazy here.

Let me clarify that I would have been happy if they signed him to the deal he did end up getting but I am not going to through a Mikey82 or anything.

OpIv37
07-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Wait didn't they dish out 10 mil for Vanek last season and a 24 million dollar contract for Roy as well? Check out the Hossa to Detroit thread where there is a clear breakdown(at least to some) between revenues teams make and the salary cap. The Sabres made 74 mil last season(19th in the league) how do you expect them to pay the 56 mil cap, team expenses(travel, operating costs, Staff, coaches, equiptment etc) and still make a modest profit. You certainly are not crazy for wanting to win the cup because we all do badly but I think some need to take a close look at things before they acuse the FO of trying to sabotage the team

you can't have it both ways.

When Drury and Briere left, everyone said "well, we didn't win the cup with them so maybe it's not a bad thing to move on."

Well guess what? We didn't win the cup with Roy or Vanek either, yet now the FO is supposed to get props for shelling out for them?

Orpik may not be the second coming of Ray Borque but look at our D: aging Pratt and Teppo, worthless Kalinin, Lydman who can't keep his head in the game, and unproven Paestch, Weber and Ryan. The only proven defenseman we have is Tallinder.

Orpik isn't the answer to all our problems, but for $3.75 million a year he'd have been a relatively cheap upgrade.

I understand why you're defending the FO for not giving $7 million a year to Campbell or $5 million a year to some middle-of-the-pack goaltender, but Orpik's contract is very reasonable by the current standards.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 09:48 AM
you can't have it both ways.

When Drury and Briere left, everyone said "well, we didn't win the cup with them so maybe it's not a bad thing to move on."

Well guess what? We didn't win the cup with Roy or Vanek either, yet now the FO is supposed to get props for shelling out for them?

Orpik may not be the second coming of Ray Borque but look at our D: aging Pratt and Teppo, worthless Kalinin, Lydman who can't keep his head in the game, and unproven Paestch, Weber and Ryan. The only proven defenseman we have is Tallinder.

Orpik isn't the answer to all our problems, but for $3.75 million a year he'd have been a relatively cheap upgrade.

I understand why you're defending the FO for not giving $7 million a year to Campbell or $5 million a year to some middle-of-the-pack goaltender, but Orpik's contract is very reasonable by the current standards.
Not trying to have it both ways just reminding people that expensive and good deals have been made.

Making Orpik our highest paid Dman by over 700k doesn't necessarily make him a "cheap" upgrade.

OpIv37
07-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Not trying to have it both ways just reminding people that expensive and good deals have been made.

Making Orpik our highest paid Dman by over 700k doesn't necessarily make him a "cheap" upgrade.

You're using the wrong standard for "cheap". He's a good bargain by 2008 NHL standards- not necessarily by "what the Buffalo Sabres are willing to pay" standards. The Sabres are going to have to break out of that mold if they want to be successful.

And I don't understand not at least offering him a contract. I mean, Reiger called his agent- what demand was he expecting? $2.5 million a year? Make him an offer for $3.5 or $3.75 and hope for the best.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 09:54 AM
You're using the wrong standard for "cheap". He's a good bargain by 2008 NHL standards- not necessarily by "what the Buffalo Sabres are willing to pay" standards. The Sabres are going to have to break out of that mold if they want to be successful.

And I don't understand not at least offering him a contract. I mean, Reiger called his agent- what demand was he expecting? $2.5 million a year? Make him an offer for $3.5 or $3.75 and hope for the best.
You do have a good point here but if the Sabres where not enamored by him why spend money on him? It seemed like he was being pushed on them because he was from Buffalo.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 09:56 AM
The team has stated that their self imposed cap will be close to 50 mil this season. I have no reason to believe they won't get there, since they did spend to their self imposed cap last season. To get there it appears they will go more the trade route than the expensive FA frenzy.

OpIv37
07-03-2008, 10:00 AM
You do have a good point here but if the Sabres where not enamored by him why spend money on him? It seemed like he was being pushed on them because he was from Buffalo.

this is where it gets difficult.

Maybe the Sabres weren't high on hi,- but:
1. He was relatively cheap by current NHL standards
2. He's better than what we have, even if it's not by much.

Sometimes beggars can't be choosers. With the somewhat self-imposed monetary limitations and the reality that the Sabres need to improve, there aren't a whole lot of options. How do they weigh that reality against the fact that he wasn't at the top of their list?

There's no easy answer to that question.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 10:02 AM
this is where it gets difficult.

Maybe the Sabres weren't high on hi,- but:
1. He was relatively cheap by current NHL standards
2. He's better than what we have, even if it's not by much.

Sometimes beggars can't be choosers. With the somewhat self-imposed monetary limitations and the reality that the Sabres need to improve, there aren't a whole lot of options. How do they weigh that reality against the fact that he wasn't at the top of their list?

There's no easy answer to that question.

Yes I do agree with this but again we have to assume and hope they have something in mind.

Bulldog
07-03-2008, 10:12 AM
A solid blue liner who until last season was unknown outside of Buffalo and Pittsburgh. If he would have come here for $3.75 and sucked the fans would have given him more crap than others because he is from Buffalo. The kid did the right thing staying there. I wouldn't want to play in my hometown either...especially with fans that ***** about everything. The pressure on him would have been terrible.

He did want to play in Buffalo and made that perfectly clear to anyone who would listen. Apparently the fron office decided his asking price was too high.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
He did want to play in Buffalo and made that perfectly clear to anyone who would listen. Apparently the fron office decided his asking price was too high.
Bulldog he certainly wasn't banging down HSBC arena doors wanting to come to Buffalo. He mentioned playing here was a possibility and he would enjoy coming home to play but lets not get crazy here.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
You act like he was begging the Sabres for a contract which cleary isn't the case.

Michael82
07-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Yes I do agree with this but again we have to assume and hope they have something in mind.
you are giving the morons a little too much credit. What have they done lately to earn this kind of credit? :ill:

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 10:22 AM
you are giving the morons a little too much credit. What have they done lately to earn this kind of credit? :ill:
Mike start thinking sensibly and make points. I won't respond to your overreacting nonsense.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:24 AM
mikey, they have to sign Miller. Without a goalie in place to stabilize (regardless what fans think of him) this team goes backward. With no Miller who you going to have as a goalie? Come on. They have to get him done by the start of the season. They probably have $6 - 8mil set aside for him in the cap - that may be his average salary when it is done.

Bulldog
07-03-2008, 10:26 AM
You act like he was begging the Sabres for a contract which cleary isn't the case.

And you're acting like it's beyond the realm of possibility that Buffalo was his top choice. Lets see, he's from Buffalo and has a younger brother already in the organization. I'm pretty much thinking that if the Sabres would have offered a deal close to what the Pens offered, he'd be a Sabre.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:29 AM
And you're acting like it's beyond the realm of possibility that Buffalo was his top choice. Lets see, he's from Buffalo and has a younger brother already in the organization. I'm pretty much thinking that if the Sabres would have offered a deal close to what the Pens offered, he'd be a Sabre.
do you have tonight's Lottery numbers, too? Maybe, he had no use for the Sabres whatsoever and used his "hometown" to barter a better contract. Not everybody from this area is a Sabres or Bills fan.

Michael82
07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
mikey, they have to sign Miller. Without a goalie in place to stabilize (regardless what fans think of him) this team goes backward. With no Miller who you going to have as a goalie? Come on. They have to get him done by the start of the season. They probably have $6 - 8mil set aside for him in the cap - that may be his average salary when it is done.
Do you really think that if the team sits on their hands that Miller will want to re-sign here? I don't think so. And it goes back to that travesty that happened last year. He saw how idiotic this front office is, he even complained about it a bit when he saw his friends treated badly.

I'm going to say this right now, the front office wants to sign Ryan Miller and he won't take the offer unless they really overpay him. He knows what is out there. He saw the crazy contracts offered to ****ing Huet and the other goalies. He knows that this team is doing NOTHING to make themselves better right now. He also knows that if he waits, he could probably get $8-9 million per year next season.

Again, what incentives does he have to stay? :scratch:

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Do you really think that if the team sits on their hands that Miller will want to re-sign here? I don't think so. And it goes back to that travesty that happened last year. He saw how idiotic this front office is, he even complained about it a bit when he saw his friends treated badly.

I'm going to say this right now, the front office wants to sign Ryan Miller and he won't take the offer unless they really overpay him. He knows what is out there. He saw the crazy contracts offered to ****ing Huet and the other goalies. He knows that this team is doing NOTHING to make themselves better right now. He also knows that if he waits, he could probably get $8-9 million per year next season.

Again, what incentives does he have to stay? :scratch:
then they are screwed Mikey...better change teams now.

Wave enough money and he will stay.

Michael82
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
then they are screwed Mikey...better change teams now.

Wave enough money and he will stay.
yeah, if they wave enough money in his face, he will stay. The thing is, I don't see Golisano and Quinn willing to cough up that much cash. :ill:

Bulldog
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
do you have tonight's Lottery numbers, too? Maybe, he had no use for the Sabres whatsoever and used his "hometown" to barter a better contract. Not everybody from this area is a Sabres or Bills fan.

You're right Eb, he probably winced at the thought of playing in front of friends and family on a nightly basis along with the possibility of playing with his younger brother.

RockStar36
07-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Without reading every post in this thread I also read a blurb today that said Orpik wanted no business playing in Buffalo. It would be too much pressure playing in front of hometown fans, family, and friends.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:35 AM
yeah, if they wave enough money in his face, he will stay. The thing is, I don't see Golisano and Quinn willing to cough up that much cash. :ill:
check the previous post Mikey...It's not like when they had Hasek, Biron, Miller and Norenen. They have Miller and a cast of ??? Without Miller this team can't win 25 games. Lose him and they would have to replace him with somebody just as expensive. The team would be a laughing stock.

Bulldog
I would love to see a link to that blurb.

Ebenezer
Without reading every post in this thread I also read a blurb today that said Orpik wanted no business playing in Buffalo. It would be too much pressure playing in front of hometown fans, family, and friends.
Link?

RockStar36
07-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Orpik's term and dollars seem fair to me. I was told by a source yesterday that Brooks wanted no part of playing in front of his family and friends. He'd rather concentrate more on playing his game with no distactions. The Sabres reached out to Orpik but quickly learned that it would be pointless to pursue him. Smart move on Darcy's part.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16056

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 10:45 AM
No I am not doing that at all but I never read it was, and I did read many articles stated he did want to stay in the Burgh.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I'd like a better source...but somebody who shall remain nameless said this same this yesterday as a possibility......:whistle:

Bulldog
07-03-2008, 10:52 AM

No offense, but I'm not going to put a whole lot of stock into that. His brother was quoted in the Buffalo News as saying that Brooks was open to the idea of playing for the Sabres. I translate that to, if the money is right, I'd come to play in Buffalo. Anyway, it's all water over the dam at this point.

Michael82
07-03-2008, 10:54 AM
You mean the same source that all of you make fun of. :rofl:

RockStar36
07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Oh I know. I wasn't saying that I had the most reliable source at all, just saying it was something I read. Regardless, he is back in Pittsburgh and the Sabres still need to focus on picking a few people up.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 11:05 AM
No offense, but I'm not going to put a whole lot of stock into that. His brother was quoted in the Buffalo News as saying that Brooks was open to the idea of playing for the Sabres. I translate that to, if the money is right, I'd come to play in Buffalo. Anyway, it's all water over the dam at this point.
Well no **** man if the money is right any player will play anywhere.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Well no **** man if the money is right any player will play anywhere.
not any, but close. The 'Fins would have to pay me a lot of money to go to Miami.

RockStar36
07-03-2008, 11:15 AM
You mean the same source that all of you make fun of. :rofl:

I make fun of Eklund. Eklund didn't write that. I don't suppose you actually clicked on the link?

SabreEleven
07-03-2008, 01:46 PM
You're right Eb, he probably winced at the thought of playing in front of friends and family on a nightly basis along with the possibility of playing with his younger brother.

but instead he choose to stay and play for a coach he hates? :scratch:

Mr. Pink
07-03-2008, 01:53 PM

Corey you know as well as everyone else does the Sabres literally HAD to match the offer to Vanek. Fan backlash would have been even worse if they let Vanek walk off to Vancouver. Not a great example with him.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I see you point Tom it may not be the best example but it does show they are willing to spend to some degree.

OpIv37
07-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Corey you know as well as everyone else does the Sabres literally HAD to match the offer to Vanek. Fan backlash would have been even worse if they let Vanek walk off to Vancouver. Not a great example with him.

of course, if they had signed Drury OR Briere, they could have let Vanek walk and fans would have been happy with the zillion draft picks..... :opiv:

SabreEleven
07-03-2008, 02:09 PM

Edmonton.

Mr. Pink
of course, if they had signed Drury OR Briere, they could have let Vanek walk and fans would have been happy with the zillion draft picks..... :opiv:

Exactly...

But there was no way in hell the front office could afford to lose all 3 guys in one offseason.

THATHURMANATOR
Yeah Edmonton Tom. :ill:

Mr. Pink
Edmonton.

my bad, thanks!

JD
07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Yes this front office has built a team that went to a stanley cup and 2 conference finals. Lot more than you can say for many FO's out there.
How in the hell do you not understand that we simply LUCKED OUT with the "new nhl". Before the lockout, how were we doing? Then BOOM the "new nhl" starts up and suddenly we're ALL-STARS!! Let's face it, without those rule changes the Sabres would have been in the dumps once again for the 05/06 season and so on.

Nighthawk
07-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Umm, why would the Sabres not even look at this guy? The price is right, he's the type of player we need and he would have loved to play for the Sabres! I really have to question whether this organization really knows what they're doing.

patmoran2006
07-04-2008, 03:27 PM
They didnt go after him because they're looking for a guy with more experience, like a Jason Smith, who can not only play but also help tutor kids like Weber.