PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Williams extended..

gr8slayer
07-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Bills signed DT Kyle Williams to a three-year, $14.5 million extension through 2012, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter. $5.7 million is guaranteed. Williams has played strictly nose tackle in coordinator Perry Fewell's Tampa 2 since being drafted in '05, but worked as a three technique during OTAs. We doubt he'll win that job over John McCargo and Spencer Johnson, but should remain a key rotational piece.

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2008, 10:13 AM
That sounds kinda pricey for Williams, although I am happy they are extending the young players they have.

gr8slayer
07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Wow, almost $5 million per for a backup player. This makes the Kelsay deal look pretty good.

patmoran2006
07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
nearly 5 million per year?? Are you kidding me??

THEY BETTER EXTEND Crowell and Evans now..

Kyle Freegin Williams? They have McCargo, Johnson and Stroud and they give the 4th DT that kind of money? I dont get it at all.

patmoran2006
07-03-2008, 10:15 AM
That sounds kinda pricey for Williams, although I am happy they are extending the young players they have.
Thats a stupid contract, I dont care what any one says.

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Ralph is damned if he does give his $$ away , damned if he doesn't.

gr8slayer
07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Giving money away isn't Ralph's problem; his problem is who he's giving money away to.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
stupid contract? yes...going rate in today's (and tomorrow's) salary cap? regrettably. People have to remember what a play will be worth at the end of the deal...agents are not stupid

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Giving money away isn't Ralph's problem; his problem is who he's giving money away to.

Well we did get discounts from Spencer, Stroud and Mitchell.

gr8slayer
07-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Well we did get discounts from Spencer, Stroud and Mitchell.
Aside from Stroud how do you figure? Spencer and Mitchell were UDFA.

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 10:23 AM
stupid contract? yes...going rate in today's (and tomorrow's) salary cap? regrettably. People have to remember what a play will be worth at the end of the deal...agents are not stupid

IMO, this FO is looking to stick with this current line-up for years to come locking up one player at a time for continuity's sake. . This is why I feel we will eventually lock Lee , Peters and Crowell.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 10:24 AM
How is it 5 per year? It isn't even 15 mil. I assume some of it is signing bonus?

THATHURMANATOR
I love this place. We complain if they dont and then complain if they do! :bf1:

Philagape
I wonder how Spencer feels now that Williams is making more than him.

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Aside from Stroud how do you figure? Spencer and Mitchell were UDFA.
they didn't cost a ton to bring them here by the current CBA salary standards.

gr8slayer
Considering that Spencer has never been a starter I doubt he cares.

Philagape
I love this place. We complain if they dont and then complain if they do! :bf1:

We want the right players for the right money. What's so wrong about that?

Michael82
07-03-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm just glad they are signing their own guys, plus Kyle Williams is a good NT and has potential! :bf1:

Mitchy moo
07-03-2008, 10:27 AM
The longer we can keep a core of talent here, the better we are going to get.

gr8slayer
07-03-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm just glad they are signing their own guys, plus Kyle Williams is a good NT and has potential! :bf1:
You know what "potential" means?

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
We want the right players for the right money. What's so wrong about that?
So if philagape thinks Kyle WIlliams is not the right guy then you should be wondering about their decision when it comes to the qb? Or maybe you know better than our coaches as to which player is the right or wrong one.

yordad
07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Aside from Stroud how do you figure? Spencer and Mitchell were UDFA.Why does where they were drafted matter again? They aren't signing rookie contracts.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Just as tickled...now he knows his next contract will be higher. Why do fans automatically think players get pissed when somebody makes more money than them?

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Just as tickled...now he knows his next contract will be higher. Why do fans automatically think players get pissed when somebody makes more money than them?
Jason Peters.

gr8slayer
Why does where they were drafted matter again? They aren't signing rookie contracts.
The "D" was no supposed to be there, I meant to say "UFA."

And it doesn't matter when you hit your second or third contract if you've proven yourself which Mitchell has.

Philagape

Gee, that would be unheard of ....

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Gee, that would be unheard of ....
My God...you hate everything.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Jason Peters.
Huge difference between a guy who made the probowl and somebody who most fans never heard of.

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2008, 10:37 AM
I don't complain often, but 5 million is too much for this guy (if the report is true)

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Huge difference between a guy who made the probowl and somebody who most fans never heard of.

It's not about probowl. It's become about principle in Peters case and will happen again when some players think they deserve more than the back-ups.

bigbub2352
07-03-2008, 10:39 AM
i dont think it is 5 mil a year they gave him a raise on his exsisting contract which was 2 more years, then extended it 3 more years and only guranteeing 5.7 mil, this is a good contract for a player who is very important to the interior of our defense and our rotation, we know have all out lineman locked up for years to come, and they are in there prime or younger

Good Job keeo the Extentions coming, We are locking players up instead of losing them

Trying to build something
I like it

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:40 AM
It's not about probowl. It's become about principle in Peters case and will happen again when some players think they deserve more than the back-ups.
last time I checked Johnson and Williams were both backups.

gr8slayer
07-03-2008, 10:41 AM
i dont think it is 5 mil a year they gave him a raise on his exsisting contract which was 2 more years, then extended it 3 more years and only guranteeing 5.7 mil, this is a good contract for a player who is very important to the interior of our defense and our rotation, we know have all out lineman locked up for years to come, and they are in there prime or younger

Good Job keeo the Extentions coming, We are locking players up instead of losing them

Trying to build something
I like it
Just not trying hard enough.

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 10:41 AM
last time I checked Johnson and Williams were both backups.

Yes they are. Lets say Spencer unseats Stroud, he'll want a bigger contract than Williams. Jason Peters all over again.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Yes they are. Lets say Spencer unseats Stroud, he'll want a bigger contract than Williams. Jason Peters all over again.
in the words of Clump : we don't know that.

Philagape
07-03-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't complain often, but 5 million is too much for this guy (if the report is true)

Hater! Go find another team!

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
in the words of Clump : we don't know that.
I realize that but I was pointing since it seems to the case with Peters, it can happen all over again which is my point.

Coach Sal
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I think some of you need to go back to 5th grade math class.

It is a 3-year extension on an already existing 2-year deal. So, OVERALL it is a 5-year contract worth $14.5 mil (5.7 guaranteed).

That equals $2.9 million/year for the next five years!

The Spaz
07-03-2008, 10:48 AM
We have a bunch of whiney sniffling *****es in here. I can not wait for at least training camp to start so we can see what these players can do instead of complaining about how much they apparently suck.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:49 AM

It is a 3-year extension on an already existing 2-year deal. So, OVERALL it is a 5-year contract worth $14.5 mil (5.7 guaranteed).

thank you. I read it that way.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 10:50 AM
I realize that but I was pointing since it seems to the case with Peters, it can happen all over again which is my point.
technically, anything can happen...

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 10:50 AM
technically, anything can happen...
:up:

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 10:51 AM

I have a feeling Lee will extend for a contract like that :smoke:

hydro
07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Lets actually do the math here boys:

3yrs at 5.7mill GUARANTEED! = 1.9 million a year

The way I see it, the only way he makes 5 million a year (when incentives come to play)is if he is play at a pro bowl level which I doubt. Not sure what all the fuss is about. If the incentives are easily achieved with mediocre play then I would be pissed.

Michael82

:rofl: That's what I was thinking too. And if that's the case, it's a good deal! I also think that them doing contract extensions like that are basically to tell Jason Peters that if the player treats the team well and doesn't act like an ******* by holding out, they have no problem extending the deal. So, if you want you contract changed, come to camp and maybe we'll talk.

Ebenezer
I have a feeling Lee will extend for a contract like that :smoke:
nice sarcasm...lol...I don't. I have a feeling Lee will only continue as a Bill if it is one of the richest contracts in team history.

bigbub2352
07-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Thank You, i read it that way too, with only 5.7 guranteed that is a smart contract
Like i said keep getting these guys locked up and we are building something
INstead of losing guys in there prime they will be Bills

Ebenezer
:rofl: That's what I was thinking too. And if that's the case, it's a good deal! I also think that them doing contract extensions like that are basically to tell Jason Peters that if the player treats the team well and doesn't act like an ******* by holding out, they have no problem extending the deal. So, if you want you contract changed, come to camp and maybe we'll talk.
Peters is on a different level....this is no message to him.

hydro
So, OVERALL it is a 5-year contract worth $14.5 mil (5.7 guaranteed).

That is not how I read it but either way everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over nothing.

yordad
07-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Lets actually do the math here boys:

3yrs at 5.7mill GUARANTEED! = 1.9 million a year

The way I see it, the only way he makes 5 million a year (when incentives come to play)is if he is play at a pro bowl level which I doubt. Not sure what all the fuss is about. If the incentives are easily achieved with mediocre play then I would be pissed.1.9 million a year? What are we cutting him? NTM, I think dude is right, it is 5 years.

So "boy" do your math again. You are assuming he gets nothing per year after his bonus? Come on.

That is not how I read it but either way everyone is getting their panties in a bunch over nothing.Did you just read wht you typed? That is clearly not how you saw it.

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Ooops. I read it as the extension alone was worth that much.

My degree failed me.

Philagape
07-03-2008, 11:05 AM
If that is the case, the quote in the first post is very poorly worded. The source needs an English degree more than we need a math degree.

THATHURMANATOR
07-03-2008, 11:07 AM
We have a bunch of whiney sniffling *****es in here.
:bf1:

TacklingDummy
07-03-2008, 11:18 AM

When is your tryout?

The Answer
07-03-2008, 11:42 AM
The math makes this deal much more acceptable than it appears - but I don't understand why we are focusing on these type of players when there are more pressing concerns like Evans, McGee, Crowell, etc.

~The Answer

PECKERWOOD
07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
This is a hell of a signing, he has seen the field plenty of time during his short career already and will probably be vital for us the next few years. I really need to give this FO some props, now just get Evans signed and Peters deal reworked.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 11:46 AM
The math makes this deal much more acceptable than it appears - but I don't understand why we are focusing on these type of players when there are more pressing concerns like Evans, McGee, Crowell, etc.

~The Answer
I'm sure they do nothing but focus on one player at a time :rolleyes:

Coach Sal
07-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Ooops. I read it as the extension alone was worth that much.

My degree failed me.

Well, to be honest, it doesn't say otherwise.

But, honestly, when was the last time a player signed an extension on a deal having 2-years remaining, and did not include those last two years as part of the "new" deal?

I don't think I've ever seen that.

There's no way any player in the NFL would sign an extension like that and not get the immediate raise.

OpIv37
07-03-2008, 11:57 AM
We have a bunch of whiney sniffling *****es in here. I can not wait for at least training camp to start so we can see what these players can do instead of complaining about how much they apparently suck.

so, seeing Kyle Williams on the field for the last two years means.... absolutely nothing?

You're acting like all these guys suddenly appeared out of a vacuum and no one has ever seen them play football before.

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2008, 11:58 AM
When is your tryout?

Huh?

historypete
07-03-2008, 11:58 AM

I don't think it is a case of being damned if you do or damned if you don't. I think the problem is who is getting the money. I'd rather have my cornerstone LT and big play WR re-upped for big money rather than having Williams extended. He is a good player but not worth 14.5 million in my opinion. Hopefully this is just a part of a plan that will eventually lead to Peters and Evans getting paid before camp starts.

Coach Sal
07-03-2008, 11:59 AM

I'm guessing (hoping, actually) that they're re-working and extending these "smaller" deals first and getting them locked in so that they know for sure how much money they have to use on Evans and Crowell without having to mortgage the rest of the team away.

And by doing it this way - extending guys well before they are due - they are actually getting them at better prices than if they wait until they get close to the open market.

For example, in 2009, when Williams' deal would have ended, and the cap is even higher, a DT like him - 26 years old with 4 years experience - will no doubt cost more than 2.9/year (see: Spencer Johnson).

trapezeus
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
my only issue with this is that players who get much better never live up to their end of the bargain, they always ask for more money. I can underestand that with the short life span. But it's annoying that the team has to take the cap hit if the guy doesn't play well.

Locking a guy in for 5 years doesn't do anything. because if he sucks, you wasted 5 years of cap space on the guy. if he's great, he'll want to be bumped to market price anyways.

all these guys should just play on a year to year contract. if they want the positive of restructuring mid contract, they should be willing to take the risk that they won't collect anything if they really suck.

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I would also speculate that the other deals will take more time since they will involve more money and perhaps a longer term.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 12:04 PM
I would also speculate that the other deals will take more time since they will involve more money and perhaps a longer term.
how un-fan of you. don't you understand that these things needed to be done yesterday...and that the team should have kissed ass and promised everything to get the player here and the player should have kissed ass and taken less money to play here....and then some fans can still ***** about everything.

TacklingDummy
07-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Huh?

That was basically my response in the Bell Thread that EB turned arguementative in. And then proceeded to remove me from the thread that he turned into an arguement and yet he still could post in it.

Anyways, there is no reason to get off topic. It's obvious there is a double standard here and regular posters are just going to have to live with it.

It's nice to see Williams get extended. I'd rather have seen Evans get extended but I doubt that happens.

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm guessing (hoping, actually) that they're re-working and extending these "smaller" deals first and getting them locked in so that they know for sure how much money they have to use on Evans and Crowell without having to mortgage the rest of the team away.

:up:

hydro
07-03-2008, 12:13 PM
1.9 million a year? What are we cutting him? NTM, I think dude is right, it is 5 years.

So "boy" do your math again.Did that offend you? Wow. You are assuming he gets nothing per year after his bonus? Come on. Guaranteed money isn't a signing bonus. Guaranteed is the money he gets spread out each year as his salary. Incentives are figured out after each season. I didn't see any mention of a signing bonus so I don't know what you are talking about.
Did you just read wht you typed? That is clearly not how you saw it.
Read what Coach said after my post. IT ISN'T CLEARLY DEFINED but he does have a very valid point to back up why it is 5yrs 14.5mil with 5.7mil guaranteed

X-Era
07-03-2008, 12:23 PM

Not pricey at all in my mind.

Kyle Williams has been the most consistent of all the DT's we have had in the Jauron era. Furthermore, I feel he has been the best overall. McCargo has had moments that trupm Kyle Williams, but they have been few and far between up till mid to late last year.

Bone
07-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Not pricey at all in my mind.

Kyle Williams has been the most consistent of all the DT's we have had in the Jauron era. Furthermore, I feel he has been the best overall. McCargo has had moments that trupm Kyle Williams, but they have been few and far between up till mid to late last year. :respect:

raphael120
The whole point is...how hard, REALLY is it to find another Kyle Williams? He's a smallish DT and he hasn't done anything more than Tripplett has. Sure he's a "high motor" guy, but I really don't think you could find someone equally as good out there who is bigger and can hold up better against the run. He was part of the problem why we got ran over the past 2 seasons.

The problem with these under the radar signings is this: We're resigning, and signing mediocre players who have all in all contributed to this piss poor team the past few seasons. I can name off a flurry of guys who we resigned that have no amounted to JACK SQUAT and i hear time and time again about continuity. Like our offense. Wow, we have the same offensive system in place so that'll help us...wait NO, our offense system SUCKED and we were near dead LAST in the league for 2 years in a row in this system that we're sticking with year after year.

I can see continuity being a GOOD thing when your system in place proves that it's WORKING and being successful but so far I haven't seen that anything we're doing right now works at all!

We resigned Parrish, Reed, McGee, Kelsay, and now Kyle Williams. All players that could be easily replaceable aside for McGee and Parrish's returning ability. As far as on the field production, Parrish is only good for an occasional long break away TD, Reed is decent for moving the chains (dont have much of a problem with him), McGee is an average at best CB with good returning ability (dont have a problem with him either), and Kelsay is a bum and I hope that Ellis eventually takes over his duties because he's proven absolutely nothing since he got drafted by the Bills other than his role should be a backup only. Kyle Williams was a late rounder who has shown that he's nothing special but gee, gosh, golly he sure tries hard! Classic Jauron bullcrap..gee shucks, he loves to play football!

YEAH BUT, THEY SUCK, DICK!

I love the same people who applaud resignings of stuff like this and expect us to be great are the people who are in the Sabres thread going off saying how resigning Gaustad and other guys on our team is not good enough, yet for the Bills it is good enough.

You resign the same mediocre players, you're going to keep getting the same mediocre (7-9) results. I dont see how Parrish or Kyle Williams will be crucial to a playoff run. I also love the fact that Kyle Williams seems to be getting more praise from the FO than first rounder McCargo.

I'm sorry, we're 3 drafts and 3 FA periods into this whole mess and not a single player has shown that they can be relied on to get us to the playoffs. Well, aside for Peters and he's HOLDING OUT! Lynch might be the single one who may prove to be worth being drafted as high as he was. Poz, Simpson, Whitner, McCargo, Youboty, Edwards, and Lynch better all prove they are worth all their money and draft picks.

The Buffalo Bills are a perfect example of a franchise spinning its wheels at its best. Can you imagine what **** is going to look like if they DONT resign Evans and Peters is going to hold out?

The thing that worries me the most is that we go 8-8 or worse and we won't have any convenient excuses like we have had the past 2 seasons. Everyone expects playoffs INCLUDING the FO and the players.

yordad
1.9 million a year? What are we cutting him? NTM, I think dude is right, it is 5 years.

So "boy" do your math again.Did that offend you? Wow. From you? No. your usually even ruder. Were you offended by the exact same label? wow. You are assuming he gets nothing per year after his bonus? Come on. Guaranteed money isn't a signing bonus. Guaranteed is the money he gets spread out each year as his salary. Incentives are figured out after each season. I didn't see any mention of a signing bonus so I don't know what you are talking about. So, again, he gets no pay per year? Only his guarantee? A signing bonus is counted toward guaranteed money.
Did you just read wht you typed? That is clearly not how you saw it.
Read what Coach said after my post. IT ISN'T CLEARLY DEFINED but he does have a very valid point to back up why it is 5yrs 14.5mil with 5.7mil guaranteed Yeah, I know. But what you typed was very different, so I don't understand how you could type something completely different and then say that you understood it the same way.

X-Era
07-03-2008, 12:28 PM
nearly 5 million per year?? Are you kidding me??

THEY BETTER EXTEND Crowell and Evans now..

Kyle Freegin Williams? They have McCargo, Johnson and Stroud and they give the 4th DT that kind of money? I don't get it at all.

Kyle Williams has been a multi-year starter at DT. Not McCargo, Williams.

Dont know where your getting that hes the 4th DT... link?

We dont know yet who the #2 DT is, but if history tells us anything, thats Williams job to lose.

Your assessment of Williams is NOT the same as the Bills clearly.

gr8slayer
07-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Kyle Williams has been a multi-year starter at DT. Not McCargo, Williams.

Dont know where your getting that hes the 4th DT... link?

We dont know yet who the #2 DT is, but if history tells us anything, thats Williams job to lose.

Don't know where you've been.

Bills DT John McCargo will move into the starting lineup this season. The '06 first-round pick is healthy again and will team up with Marcus Stroud inside, with Spencer Johnson, Jason Jefferson, and Kyle Williams coming off the bench. McCargo had 29 stops, three sacks, and a forced fumble in 2007.

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 12:34 PM
funny thing is that some of the posters that agree with the bills decision to start Trent are complaining about the bills decision to pay Kyle Freegin Williams?

raphael120
07-03-2008, 12:38 PM
funny thing is that some of the posters that agree with the bills decision to start Trent are complaining about the bills decision to pay Kyle Freegin Williams?

Well we all know the track record with the Bills and their decisions at QB, etc...they already proved they ****ed up with picking JP Losman, jury is still out on Edwards, and we all know the lack of potential Kyle Williams has. We all know how well Jaurons game day decisions are too...I'm sure he's lacking on off season decisions too.

X-Era
07-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Don't know where you've been.

Apparently I havent been wherever you are... which appears to be somewhere close to cloud nine.

Feel free to take a look at the link from BB.com

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6191

justasportsfan
07-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Well we all know the track record with the Bills and their decisions at QB, etc...they already proved they ****ed up with picking JP Losman, jury is still out on Edwards, and we all know the lack of potential Kyle Williams has. We all know how well Jaurons game day decisions are too...I'm sure he's lacking on off season decisions too.They doubt this move and practically put down KYle , someone the coaching staff obviously likes since they locked him up but they don't doubt their decision to go with Trent?

I would doubt Dicks offensive decisions more than his defensive ones.

X-Era
07-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Well we all know the track record with the Bills and their decisions at QB, etc...they already proved they ****ed up with picking JP Losman, jury is still out on Edwards, and we all know the lack of potential Kyle Williams has. We all know how well Jaurons game day decisions are too...I'm sure he's lacking on off season decisions too.

Are you a Bills fan?

gr8slayer
07-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Apparently I havent been wherever you are... which appears to be somewhere close to cloud nine.

Feel free to take a look at the link from BB.com

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6191
I'll take the words from Jauron's mouth over that POS that changes every five minutes and didn't even have the right starters up during the season.

Ebenezer
07-03-2008, 12:46 PM
For pete's sake folks...It's July 3. Worry when they snap the ball against Seattle and Peters isn't there. Worry when FA starts next year and Evans isnt under contract.

raphael120
07-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Are you a Bills fan?
No, i just like to post as a Bills fan and waste my time when Im truely a Cowboys fan. Its my thing.

Uh, yeah, and I reserve my right to criticize them just like all of Buffalo is criticizing the Sabres right now. Don't you dare question my fan-hood. And don't ask me to show you my fan-hood either, cuz Im not like that.

X-Era
07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
I'll take the words from Jauron's mouth over that POS that changes every five minutes and didn't even have the right starters up during the season.

You will selectively use the media when it suits your needs... GOT IT!

Why trust BB.com

gr8slayer
07-03-2008, 12:49 PM
You will selectively use the media when it suits your needs... GOT IT!

Why trust BB.com
Yeah, why accept something that the head coach said? What does he know about the Bills.

X-Era
07-03-2008, 12:50 PM
For pete's sake folks...It's July 3. Worry when they snap the ball against Seattle and Peters isn't there. Worry when FA starts next year and Evans isnt under contract.

I honestly think these moves set aside cap to cash money this year to pay the large SB or bonuses to pay Peters and Evans.

Cap figures usually go up each year, so contracts for guys in the last few years have higher cap hits, and resigning, or in this case, restructuring with an extensions, means adding significant cap space. How significant? I dont know, and you would think it would be fairly small considering they are still on rookie contracts.

But heres to hoping for a big pay day for Peters and Evans :pray:

X-Era
07-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah, why accept something that the head coach said? What does he know about the Bills.
Wheres the link again? I just want to see which "trusted" source your pulling this from. I want to make sure I have the source to back "me" up when I let Chris know that even though he sees the brass almost everyday, hes clueless and some media source has it right.

Your supposed Jauron quote has no quatation marks and reads a helluva alot more like paraphrasing... which implies interpretation...

yordad
07-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Bills DT John McCargo will move into the starting lineup this season. The '06 first-round pick is healthy again and will team up with Marcus Stroud inside, with Spencer Johnson, Jason Jefferson, and Kyle Williams coming off the bench. McCargo had 29 stops, three sacks, and a forced fumble in 2007.

Is that a Jauron quote or something?

Devin
07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
14.5 mil for kyle huh. wow. I umm.....hmmmmm.

Cool I guess.

PECKERWOOD
07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
14.5 mil for kyle huh. wow. I umm.....hmmmmm.

Cool I guess.

You must realize that the 14.5mil is mostly incentives that he will never reach..

Mr. Pink
07-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Only 5.7 is guaranteed...

He's likely to be the 4th DT in rotation which means he'll never make any of the incentives.

Not a bad deal IMO

The Spaz
07-03-2008, 01:38 PM
so, seeing Kyle Williams on the field for the last two years means.... absolutely nothing?

You're acting like all these guys suddenly appeared out of a vacuum and no one has ever seen them play football before.

Players do get better and they do get worse we don't know how he will do this year.

madness
07-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Great news. This organization is finally starting to take a proactive approach with contracts.

yordad
07-03-2008, 01:52 PM
You must realize that the 14.5mil is mostly incentives that he will never reach..Where is this coming from? :link:

hydro
07-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Where is this coming from? :link:

14.5million possible with 5.7million guaranteed. What else could fill in the gap from guaranteed and total?

Coach Sal
07-03-2008, 03:40 PM
14.5million possible with 5.7million guaranteed. What else could fill in the gap from guaranteed and total?

Base salary?

My guess is that the guaranteed portion is mostly in the form of a signing bonus and roster bonuses. That leaves 8.8 mil spread over the 5-year period (1.76 mil/year avg.). Typically, anywhere between 200-500K of that may be in incentives (vs. base salary), but nothing more.

yordad
07-03-2008, 03:42 PM
14.5million possible with 5.7million guaranteed. What else could fill in the gap from guaranteed and total?BASE/YEARLY SALARY!!

Base salary?

My guess is that the guaranteed portion is mostly in the form of a signing bonus and roster bonuses. That leaves 8.8 mil spread over the 5-year period (1.76 mil/year avg.). Typically, anywhere between 200-500K of that may be in incentives (vs. base salary), but nothing more.Thankyou, I tried explaining that to him more then once in this thread already, including the signing bonus part.

bY hYDRO

Guaranteed money isn't a signing bonus. Guaranteed is the money he gets spread out each year as his salary. Incentives are figured out after each season. I didn't see any mention of a signing bonus so I don't know what you are talking about.

mysticsoto
07-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Man, this thread had everything...people jumping to conclusions, accusations...the only thing that was missing was Op saying the season is over!!!

Romes
07-03-2008, 07:07 PM
This breaks it down and should but the speculating to rest...

The two-year starter is now signed through 2012 and is guaranteed $5.2 million over the next two seasons.

“We’re very flattered,” Williams’ agent Albert Elias told The Associated Press. “When you’re two years into a contract, these types of extensions aren’t normally made…. We’re really excited about it.” Elias said the Bills contacted him last week to restructure Williams’ contract.

The Bills confirmed the new deal, but did not release the terms.

Williams received a roster bonus of $1.75 million and will make a base salary of $700,000 this season, a significant raise over the $445,000 he was scheduled to make under his previous contract. Williams is also due a $1.5 million bonus in March. Williams had two years left on his contract.

Under the new contract he will make a base salary of $12 million over the next five years, not including bonuses.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AuVXxXRF1qlq3f2oMBzqlBlDubYF?slug=ap-bills-kylewilliams&prov=ap&type=lgns

Night Train
07-03-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm usually the positive type but this guy has been a swinging door in the running gane. Otherwise, the Bills never would have looked at Stroud.

Williams moves well but cannot anchor when the run comes up the middle. Blown out with ease. Add DiGiorgio to that formula behind him and 150 yards for any decent RB became the norm, running right up the middle.

We were waaaaaaaay too small up the middle. Here's rooting for the health of Stroud & Poz.

This is Kelsay 2.0 & I'm scratching my head. A decent backup or breather sub but not a starter type.

The Spaz
07-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I'm usually the positive type but this guy has been a swinging door in the running gane. Otherwise, the Bills never would have looked at Stroud.

Williams moves well but cannot anchor when the run comes up the middle. Blown out with ease. Add DiGiorgio to that formula behind him and 150 yards for any decent RB became the norm, running right up the middle.

We were waaaaaaaay too small up the middle. Here's rooting for the health of Stroud & Poz.

This is Kelsay 2.0 & I'm scratching my head. A decent backup or breather sub but not a starter type.

Williams is hardly getting Kelsay type money.

X-Era
07-03-2008, 10:48 PM

When you have 4 rotational DT's running the middle and splitting the snaps, they all are starters. We look ed at Stroud to bolster ONE of that group and it looks like it was Tripplett

Marvelous
07-04-2008, 12:45 AM
WOOHOOOO! I love Kyle WIlliams... This is great news......WAY TO GO 1BD!
--This kid explodes off the line..There's not much to not like about him. What a 5th round pick..

--That poster came in here a week after our draft & told us how awesome Kyle Williams was gonna be & what a legend he was a LSU.. You guys remember that? I do & IMO Kyle has panned out for us bigtime...

----Is this signing panicking the fans with no patience? is so then LMAO @ em.. Well get Evans & Crowell extended..all good...I really REALLY like this offseason...

coastal
07-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Considering last year one of our DT's in the rotation was an overweight pizza guy, I'm thinking some of you may need to reevaluate your perspective on this situation.

We have added a Pro Bowl caliber player that has had basically 2 years of rest from the NFL.

Also, our DT's aren't typically 2 and 3 down "starters". They are constantly being shuffled in and out... so it's important to have good solid depth from top to bottom. Of course not everyone of those DT's is going to be a Pro Bowler, but I certainly think we have the makings of one of the deepest and most versatile units in the league.

Spencer Johnson is even going to be getting reps at defensive end by some accounts.

Lastly, aside from McCargo, we have our top 6 or 7 defensive linemen locked up for the next 3-5 years.

Lock up the Crow, Whitner and maybe Simpson in the next year or so, and that kind of continuity has immense VALUE in today's NFL. In tomorrow's NFL that kind of continuity, at the prices we are talking about, is not going to be found.

djjimkelly
07-04-2008, 05:29 PM
kyle williams should and will be a role player on this d line what a sad contract