X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Lynch and Jackson as receivers

With both Lynch and Jackson being pretty talented receivers out of the backfield it's going to be interesting to see how their reception totals break down this year. While there's no question that Lynch will see the bulk of the work carrying the ball, I'm curious to see how things pan out on the receiving end. Everyone knows Lynch had just 18 receptions last season, which is just not enough touches for a feature back with receiving skills like Lynch. But you might be surprised to know that Jackson had 22 catches (4 more than Lynch) and had far fewer opportunities through the course of the season. So although I see the RB carries probably being 75-25 in favor of Lynch, I think the receptions between the two of them could be more like 60-40.

• ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: Lynch and Jackson as receivers

Jackson also played more on 3rd downs I do believe which gave him more recieving opportunites

but I agree.... we haven't really had a designed recieving threat out of the backfield since Thurman, and I have been perplexed about this for a long time...

I figure our OL was so piss poor we couldn't afford to let the rb run a route, but last year Fairchild pretty much demonstrated he wasn't going to use the rb as a WR much...

I believe this will change this year.

Comment

• BuffaloBills28
      • May 2008

Originally posted by ddaryl
      Jackson also played more on 3rd downs I do believe which gave him more recieving opportunites
      A-train took up most of the 3rd downs for over half of the year

Comment

• The Answer
        The Plagiarist
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BuffaloBills28
        A-train took up most of the 3rd downs for over half of the year
        Thinking about that still makes me sick, and if anything playing him over Jackson made me question his coaching at times.

~The Answer

Comment

• The Answer
          The Plagiarist
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by The Spaz
          With both Lynch and Jackson being pretty talented receivers out of the backfield it's going to be interesting to see how their reception totals break down this year. While there's no question that Lynch will see the bulk of the work carrying the ball, I'm curious to see how things pan out on the receiving end. Everyone knows Lynch had just 18 receptions last season, which is just not enough touches for a feature back with receiving skills like Lynch. But you might be surprised to know that Jackson had 22 catches (4 more than Lynch) and had far fewer opportunities through the course of the season. So although I see the RB carries probably being 75-25 in favor of Lynch, I think the receptions between the two of them could be more like 60-40.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1
          Lynch is a great receiver and that is why he was taken so high in the 1st round - I will be really dissappointed if Schonert don't utilize him more and design passing plays specifically for him and Action Jackson.

Before Randy Moss came to New England - I remember Tom Brady making a career out of the screen/flat passing game to RB's and TE's and letting them rack up the yards after the catch. If Trent is as smart as I think he is than I imagine he will follow suit.

~The Answer

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl

but I agree.... we haven't really had a designed recieving threat out of the backfield since Thurman, and I have been perplexed about this for a long time...

I figure our OL was so piss poor we couldn't afford to let the rb run a route, but last year Fairchild pretty much demonstrated he wasn't going to use the rb as a WR much...

I believe this will change this year.
            I don't know if your reference to the offensive line relates to last season or two years ago, but last season, the offensive line was at least of average quality and maybe a little better than average, and pass blocking was probably its strength. I think Fairchild and his lack of confidence in the QB situation had a great deal to do with a lot of the offensive malaise.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• raphael120
              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
              • Oct 2005

Evans wasn't utilized, Lynch wasn't utlized...everyone was pretty much held back from their potential. whitner was held back because of our horrid front 7...so this is one year where there whole team should get better because the shackles should be coming off lynch, the offense, and some of our defensive players like whitner and poz, they should be more freed up to make things happen

Comment

• Oaf
                Do you read what you write?
                • Jun 2007

Jackson is a natural WR coming out of the backfield. Good hands, solid moves, and solid speed. I can't wait to see a three wide pro set with Lynch and Jackson and either Reed or Parrish in the slot.

Comment

• Marvelous
                  • Feb 2004

+Trent Edwards loves throwing to the RB's. I fully expect a huge recieving year from both. Esp Lynch....
                  GO BILLS!!! NE
                  Magical Trevor

Comment

Working...
                  X