PDA

View Full Version : i would take this guy in a heartbeat.. think there is any chance?

Tatonka
08-26-2002, 11:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0826/1423079.html

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Frank Ferrara is to be the new starting defensive right end for the New York Giants, and incumbent Kenny Holmes isn't happy about it.

"It's an insult, of course,'' Holmes said Monday after practicing with the second team. "I have done everything they have asked me to do, changed how you wanted me to be. That's cool. So be it.''

The one thing Holmes hasn't done since signing a $20 million free agent contract last year is put up big numbers like he did in Tennessee when he had eight sacks in 2000.

Playing with an injured right knee last season, Holmes had 56 tackles and 3.5 sacks.

Most members of the Giants organization blamed the off year on the injury and playing in a new system.

However, little has changed in preseason. Holmes has had only one assisted tackle in four games, while the hustling Ferrara has 13 tackles, a sack, two passes defended and an interception that led to the win over New England.

Ferrara was given some playing time with the first defense against Atlanta on Aug. 17, and he was given that starting job on Monday when Holmes did little against the Jets in a 28-7 loss on Saturday.

"He has earned the right to be up there and see what he can do,'' coach Jim Fassel said after practice. "I told Kenny I want to see some numbers, pressures, hits on the quarterback, tackles.''

While Holmes won't say it, he is annoyed that the Giants have asked him to alter his style.

With the Titans, he was speed pass rusher. The Giants play a style where the defensive end has an equal responsibility for stopping the run and pass.

Fellow defensive end Michael Strahan excels at that. Holmes doesn't and it has hurt his game. He seemingly has lost his quickness.

"I have changed my style to try to suit what they want me to do,'' Holmes said. "If that's what they want, I told them I would give it to them, how they wanted it, and this is the outcome.''

In Holmes' defense, it's hard to compare his statistics with Ferrara. The first team defense has only played about 15 plays per game in the preseason and none of the other starters has more than four tackles.

Ferrara has played a couple of quarters per game against second-team players.

Ferrara is going to be hard-pressed to be productive this week. The Giants (2-2) will end their preseason on Thursday against Baltimore in a game that will put the Staten Island native against Jonathan Ogden, considered by many to be the best tackle in the league.

"I think Kenny has improved from what he was a year ago, but Frank is at the point where he is making plays,'' defensive line coach Denny Marcin said. "I have said this from day one, you have to make plays. That's the bottom line in this profession.''

It's not a comforting one for now for Holmes, who renegotiated his contract after last season. It's unlikely the Giants would be able to cut him because they don't have depth on the line and they would have to take too big a hit with his salary cap value.

"It's one of those things you have to go through,'' said Holmes, who practiced well on Monday. "There are ups and downs in football and this is one of them. Hopefully, you don't go through too many of them, but this is my tough time. I'll handle it with my chin up.''

It's also the best time for Ferrara, cut three times by the Giants before finally landing a job last season.

Fassel told him about his promotion before practice.

"It was wild,'' Ferrara said. "It was unbelievable. My eyes lit up. I'm pretty confident. It doesn't mean forever. It means for now. That's the way I have to take it.''

:madfire:

clumping platelets
08-26-2002, 11:12 PM
If he gets cut, he can come here for the minimum plus incentives

JefftheBillsfan
08-26-2002, 11:15 PM
id take him...he already knows the system.

lordofgun
08-27-2002, 12:35 AM
I was hoping we'd sign this guy when he left the Titans. Looking back, I'm glad we didn't, but he was good in GW's defense before!

SABURZFAN
08-27-2002, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
If he gets cut, he can come here for the minimum plus incentives

it sounds good to me.

casdhf
08-27-2002, 08:19 AM
Seems kinda like a "me" guy. He doesn't wanna change his style to help the team

Pride
08-27-2002, 09:38 AM
He said that he did everything they asked him to

Michael82
08-27-2002, 09:42 AM
I think that GW knows exactly what the guy can do and he would make A GREAT addition to the team...please cut him, New York...please.......! :beg:

Ebenezer
08-27-2002, 09:43 AM
if he can help bring him in.

Earthquake Enyart
08-27-2002, 09:52 AM
He may have too big a cap impact for the Giants to cut him.