PDA

View Full Version : Numminen back with Sabres?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Regier also said the Sabres remain interested in Teppo Numminen, who returned from open-heart surgery to play in Buffalo’s regular-season finale in Boston after missing the entire season.

“Teppo has the qualities to contribute,” Regier said. “And based on what we saw in that game, we think he can.”
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabresnhl/story/385367.html

Dr. Lecter
07-05-2008, 11:50 AM
If they can't sign Smith (or he is not healthy enough) I am fine with the return of Teppo.

THATHURMANATOR
07-05-2008, 11:53 AM
agreed.

Although I would prefer also adding Smith.

Teppo would be a fine 7th dman who plays say 40 to 50 games ala James Patrick back in the day.

LABillsFan
07-05-2008, 11:54 AM
agreed.

Although I would prefer also adding Smith.

Teppo would be a fine 7th dman who plays say 40 to 50 games ala James Patrick back in the day.

Agreed

Nighthawk
07-05-2008, 11:57 AM
No Teppo...Please!

THATHURMANATOR
07-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Why Nighthawk? Teppo has never been a liability on the ice. If the team works him out and he shows he still has skills I don't see the problem. Its not like he would be a top 6.

Nighthawk
07-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Why Nighthawk? Teppo has never been a liability on the ice. If the team works him out and he shows he still has skills I don't see the problem. Its not like he would be a top 6.

If he signs for 2 million a season, you don't think that this organization will make him a top 6? That's the problem I see with it, he brings nothing to the table that will help this team get over the hump. I want a Cup, not mediocrity.

THATHURMANATOR
07-05-2008, 12:03 PM
I suppose you may be right 6th dman for 2 mil isn't all that bad. He would be a fine 6th dman as well.

Dr. Lecter
07-05-2008, 12:03 PM
If he signs for 2 million a season, you don't think that this organization will make him a top 6? That's the problem I see with it, he brings nothing to the table that will help this team get over the hump. I want a Cup, not mediocrity.

Not every single signing is the over the hump signing.

What he would provide is a better 6th/7th guy than Paestch and also leadership.

I agree 2 million would be too much (you added that part), but if signs for 1.5 or less it would be a good deal and he could help guys like Sekera, Weber, Paestch and Butler.

Nighthawk
07-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Not every single signing is the over the hump signing.

What he would provide is a better 6th/7th guy than Paestch and also leadership.

I agree 2 million would be too much (you added that part), but if signs for 1.5 or less it would be a good deal and he could help guys like Sekera, Weber, Paestch and Butler.

Honestly, I'd rather see Butler, Weber and Sekera playing than to see Teppo back. If I was assured he'd only be back in the capacity of a 7th defenseman, then OK, but the way this organization works, I don't have much confidence.

Dr. Lecter
07-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Honestly, I'd rather see Butler, Weber and Sekera playing than to see Teppo back. If I was assured he'd only be back in the capacity of a 7th defenseman, then OK, but the way this organization works, I don't have much confidence.

Sekera will be on the roster, with or without Teppo here.

As for Butler, no way. Let him play in the AHL so he can log 20 + minutes a night and not 10 or less. He needs ice time to grow and develop.

Nighthawk
07-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Sekera will be on the roster, with or without Teppo here.

As for Butler, no way. Let him play in the AHL so he can log 20 + minutes a night and not 10 or less. He needs ice time to grow and develop.

Agreed, but I used him to make my point...I don't want to see Teppo in a regular role with this team.

LABillsFan
07-05-2008, 12:14 PM

That all depends on if any of those 3 are up to playing an entire season providing what Teppo does or at least their own game that improves the team. It'll pan out in TC or they'll make a move if one is to be made.

RockStar36
07-05-2008, 06:04 PM
I say a one million deal, straight up, if they don't get Smith.

rbochan
07-05-2008, 08:32 PM
No Teppo...Please!
Wow. Have you watched him play? He makes the opposing team play _his_ game. That's nothing short of amazing. He's calm, cool, accurate, and if his last game was any indication, still isn't afraid to hit anyone.
He's a great veteran, and can get the younger kids in line. I'd welcome him with open arms if the salary wasn't extreme. Hell, keep him as a D coach if anything.

LABillsFan
07-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Wow. Have you watched him play? He makes the opposing team play _his_ game. That's nothing short of amazing. He's calm, cool, accurate, and if his last game was any indication, still isn't afraid to hit anyone.
He's a great veteran, and can get the younger kids in line. I'd welcome him with open arms if the salary wasn't extreme. Hell, keep him as a D coach if anything.

I was saying the same thing in another thread, he gets the puck out of the zone either with good passing or out of the reach of the other team, he doesn't get frazzled when pressured and I really think the D missed him last year.

camelcowboy
07-07-2008, 01:33 AM
No Teppo...Please!
I agree, there are far better options on the roster and in free agency.

camelcowboy
07-07-2008, 01:36 AM
I was saying the same thing in another thread, he gets the puck out of the zone either with good passing or out of the reach of the other team, he doesn't get frazzled when pressured and I really think the D missed him last year.
Between his heart and his age how many games can u expect him to play?

OpIv37
07-07-2008, 08:15 AM
We could do worse.

We could also do better, but we won't.

RockStar36
07-07-2008, 08:28 AM
We could do worse.

We could also do better, but we won't.

Just like they weren't going to get a veteran d-man to help lead the team, right?

OpIv37
07-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Just like they weren't going to get a veteran d-man to help lead the team, right?

I like the Rivet signing, but do you honestly think that's enough to propel a team that was out of the playoffs into another deep playoff run?

I certainly don't.

RockStar36
07-07-2008, 08:35 AM
I like the Rivet signing, but do you honestly think that's enough to propel a team that was out of the playoffs into another deep playoff run?

I certainly don't.

I would normally say it isn't enough but having a capable back-up goaltender to play about 20 games makes a huge difference to Miller and I'm sure Rivet is going to be a big difference. I realize they were out of the playoffs but it wasn't like they were far out.

OpIv37
07-07-2008, 08:40 AM
I would normally say it isn't enough but having a capable back-up goaltender to play about 20 games makes a huge difference to Miller and I'm sure Rivet is going to be a big difference. I realize they were out of the playoffs but it wasn't like they were far out.

Assuming Lalime is an upgrade over Thibault (I'm not 100% convinced but I'll go with the premise), I think that between Rivet and some of the youth on this team having more experience, there's a good chance the Sabres can get back in the playoffs.

But I don't see them making any kind of real run. A lot of the young guys were on the playoff team in 06-07, and I still think there's a talent gap between the Sabres and teams like the Penguins, Devils and Rangers.

RockStar36
07-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Well, I can't argue that point except to say that is why they play the games. You never know what is going to happen once the season starts. I don't think many people predicted the first run they had a few years ago.

BlackMetalNinja
07-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Assuming Lalime is an upgrade over Thibault (I'm not 100% convinced but I'll go with the premise), I think that between Rivet and some of the youth on this team having more experience, there's a good chance the Sabres can get back in the playoffs.

But I don't see them making any kind of real run. A lot of the young guys were on the playoff team in 06-07, and I still think there's a talent gap between the Sabres and teams like the Penguins, Devils and Rangers.

Generally speaking I think you're right. I will however say this, I think the Penguins (free agency) and Devils (getting old) are ready to fall back a little bit. The Rangers should continue to improve and Boston scares me as well. Overall, I think the east is wide open this year really... I'll be happy with us getting back in the postseason and I think we could make some noise if we should happen to get hot at the right time. Expectations for me though are set at a return to the postseason.

RockStar36
07-07-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm not worried about the Rangers at all.

After seeing how good they were against Buffalo in the playoffs I expected them to seriously contend for the Cup last season with Gomez and Drury and they actually got worse. Now they lost Jagr and Avery....I don't see them making a huge improvement.

THATHURMANATOR
07-07-2008, 09:11 AM
But they added Kalinin RS...