PDA

View Full Version : Sharks Message Board Reactions to Rivet

raphael120
07-05-2008, 03:59 PM
<!-- content nav -->Some fan quotes from the San Jose message boards about Craig Rivet:

-"Rivet was a good player and a leader. he was always the last one off the rink after every game."
-"of the 3 guys on the right side, Rivet is by far the best defensive dman"
-"It sounds like Buffalo went after Rivet. Damn. I liked that guy"
-"I can’t believe they shipped Rivet off. He was a great pickup for this franchise and a tremendous leader for the younger guys on D in his short stint."
-"Just when I thought this will be the best July 4th in Sharks history, I come here and read about Rivet. He was one of the few solid players who showed up every night, and to lose him for bunch of draft picks? That’s upsetting."
-"He is a great leader too. Remember how he immediately went after Ott who threw a cheap shot on Joe T and pounded the crap out of him? One of my favorite moments from last season. "
-"Rivet was one of the truly good guys in the game, and a great teammate. He really loved playing here; it’s a shame he has to leave. I’m happy for the moves, he’s just an unfortunate casualty. I too will cheer him when he returns."
-"Yeah this Rivet trade really bites. I’m shocked to say the least why they get rid of their probably most consistent defensemen in the playoffs last year."
-" get the salary cap/internal cap issues, but Craig Rivet will be missed. The guy wanted to be here. He was a stand up tough nosed teammate. He was also a pretty reliable defenseman. Crud, I was looking forward to seeing all those right-handed D in the lineup. Best of luck and success to you Craig."
-"When we had no muscle early in the season it was Craig Rivet who stepped up–he was a real Shark and earned our respect. I’m sad to see him go for what looks like nothing–a couple of second round picks."
-"It seemed as if DW was positioning the Sharks win now, and yet he traded our best defensman last year for 2nd round picks next year. Does anyone else get this?"
-"Any good that came from acquiring Boyle was wiped away by dealing Rivet. Unbelievable. Just as I was beginning to get excited I am reminded that this is the way of the Sharks. Back off the wagon in less than 24 hours."
-"Sorry to see Rivet go, he was Captain material and assumed a leadership role when he first got here. Tough to see him leave, but…thats life in the big leagues."
Here is what the San Jose columist wrote:
-"Doug Wilson made no attempt to disguise the fact that trading Rivet was financially (and draft-pick) motivated and tied to both the Boyle and Blake signings.
“When you move people and take on the type of dollars we’ve taken on, you have to do some other things,” Wilson said. “You have to move some dollars and you have to replenish the picks.”

LABillsFan
07-05-2008, 04:01 PM
I'd like to hear what Rivet thinks about the trade.

hydro
07-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Warms my heart knowing that he will be missed. If fans have good things to say about him we know we got someone worth while.

RockStar36
07-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Interesting reaction from the Sharks blogger on HockeyBuzz --

Craig Rivet – There were a lot of times last season when we’d wonder aloud or ask one another online who would captain the Sharks if Patrick Marleau were dealt or stripped of the C. Again and again, without hesitation, Rivet was the first name mentioned or typed or shouted. No other Shark showed more courage or dependability sticking up for teammates, and no other blueliner came close to providing his level of leadership last season.

The Sharks have lacked heart, grit and other similar intangibles since Doug Wilson took over the GM duties, so why would they choose to dump the one defenseman who demonstrates those qualities? Also, if you’re looking to shed salary, how about buying out or trading Kyle McLaren, who’s probably going to be as useful as a bottomless wheelbarrow for most of the coming season?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16114

Dr. Pepper
07-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Great news, if what they're saying is true he's exactly the type of Defenseman Buffalo needs. I'm drooling over Spacek/Rivet patroling the ice together next year.

Michael82
07-07-2008, 02:18 PM
The more and more I read about this guy, the more I love the trade. It was under the radar and only cost a couple draft picks. He appears to be the big, gritty defenseman that we have been needing in Buffalo for a while now. Plus he can be the leader that the young guys need to look up to. :up:

Now...if Darcy can find a way to bring Smith in and trade Max, extend Ryan Miller and Jason Pominville, I will be happy as a clam! :D