X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Trent Edwards: Quick release vs. check down machine

We debate back-and-forth on here a lot about Trent Edwards' quick release vs. his penchant to check down. Some see it that he reads coverages quickly and gets rid of the ball to (who he feels will be) the open receiver as quick as he can. Others believe he takes the first available check-down because he simply can't throw the deep ball effectively enough and is unwilling to take the chance. All depends on your biases either way.

Most Bills fans probably didn't see Trent play in college very much, if at all. However, one of my former players was Trent's teammate for three years at Stanford, and I watched them every Saturday if I was available. Granted, I didn't pay close attention to Edwards specifically (because who knew he'd be a Bill?), but I can tell you that he was one of the only good things about that team for a few years. And I really think he developed a quicker release AND a penchant for checking down quicker than he should while he was at Stanford because he was getting the **** beat out of him so much.

Stanford was a bad football team before Edwards got there, while he was there, and after he left. But while he was under center, they had NO receivers, their OLine was putrid, and their defense and special teams didn't help very much. His senior year, Stanford QBs were sacked 50 times for -359 yards!! And Edwards only played 7 of those games due to injury, so it didn't matter what QB was there - they all got hammered!

Trent's sophomore season, his only decent and real threat catching the ball was Alex Smith....a TIGHT END! And when your TE has to catch a lot of passes, that means he 'aint staying in to block for you, which is what they really needed someone to do there for Trent, because he was getting killed or running for his life almost every time he dropped back.

So, my point is, that 3-4 years of him getting pressured so easily, and knocked around so much, has caused him to have a quicker trigger both mentally and physically.

I met Alex Smith at his football camp last month and asked him about Trent and said, "the knock on him is he can't throw the deep ball." Alex's response to me was: "It's hard to throw deep when you're on your back all the time." Granted, he was referring to when he played with him in college and not as a member of the Bills, but that statement relates directly to what I'm talking about.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: Trent Edwards: Quick release vs. check down machine

Trent's best and worst asset is his check down ability.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Coach Sal

So, my point is, that 3-4 years of him getting pressured so easily, and knocked around so much, has caused him to have a quicker trigger both mentally and physically.

that's what I thought. It makes sense especially when trent himself recently said that he has to learn to trust that Peters and the ol will block for him.

He has to learn to let the scheme take shape before he panics and dumps the ball. Until he learns how to do this, Lee will become useless.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Captain gameboy
        • Jul 2002

I think it was the environment.
        A rookie qb, especially a third rounder who is replacing the incumbent. does what he is told, and it looked to me that he was told to not make mistakes, read not take risk.

I think his brain and arm are fine.
        I think he will have more options this year because of an incremental increase in talent, and a significant increase in confidence from the staff.

I think that will translate to us getting a good read on where his talents lie, as opposed to last year, when I thought he was playing not to screw up, and robotic.

Regardless of what happens this year, the absolute last thing I am concerned about it Edward's ability to throw long.

Get open-he'll hit you.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

QB's not expected to play in their rookie season, checking down and not taking chances.

It's never been done before until Trent Edwards.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• The Answer
            The Plagiarist
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Coach Sal
            We debate back-and-forth on here a lot about Trent Edwards' quick release vs. his penchant to check down. Some see it that he reads coverages quickly and gets rid of the ball to (who he feels will be) the open receiver as quick as he can. Others believe he takes the first available check-down because he simply can't throw the deep ball effectively enough and is unwilling to take the chance. All depends on your biases either way.

Most Bills fans probably didn't see Trent play in college very much, if at all. However, one of my former players was Trent's teammate for three years at Stanford, and I watched them every Saturday if I was available. Granted, I didn't pay close attention to Edwards specifically (because who knew he'd be a Bill?), but I can tell you that he was one of the only good things about that team for a few years. And I really think he developed a quicker release AND a penchant for checking down quicker than he should while he was at Stanford because he was getting the **** beat out of him so much.

Stanford was a bad football team before Edwards got there, while he was there, and after he left. But while he was under center, they had NO receivers, their OLine was putrid, and their defense and special teams didn't help very much. His senior year, Stanford QBs were sacked 50 times for -359 yards!! And Edwards only played 7 of those games due to injury, so it didn't matter what QB was there - they all got hammered!

Trent's sophomore season, his only decent and real threat catching the ball was Alex Smith....a TIGHT END! And when your TE has to catch a lot of passes, that means he 'aint staying in to block for you, which is what they really needed someone to do there for Trent, because he was getting killed or running for his life almost every time he dropped back.

I met Alex Smith at his football camp last month and asked him about Trent and said, "the knock on him is he can't throw the deep ball." Alex's response to me was: "It's hard to throw deep when you're on your back all the time." Granted, he was referring to when he played with him in college and not as a member of the Bills, but that statement relates directly to what I'm talking about.
            I watched a lot of pac10/stanford games and this hits the nail on the head - Stanford's offense was a joke, from the offensive line to the supporting cast. Trent was the only bright spot even though his playing time was limited. No QB is going to be able to display their arm downfield if the blocking does not allow it.

The thing that scares me the most (in a good way) is that last year was the first year since high school that Trent played behind an average offensive line so he probably was a bit shell shocked - and if the line improves in 2008 as we expect, it should pay huge dividends for Edwards as he looks to take more chances downfield and reacclimate himself to a vertical passing game.

~The Answer

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

So Coach can he or can't he through the deep ball?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gameboy

Get open-he'll hit you.
                The great ones however can hit you even when you're not open but trust the wr's will be by the time the ball gets there or that his wr's can come down with the ball. If he can do that on a consistent basis he can be a really good qb.
                sacrifice1

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  The great ones however can hit you even when you're not open but trust the wr's will be by the time the ball gets there or that his wr's can come down with the ball. If he can do that on a consistent basis he can be a really good qb.
                  I think what you are talking about is when good QB's have been playing with good WR's for a prolonged period of time. with all this free agency and injuries occuring, you don't get to see the kelly to reed and montana to rice chemistry. so now its like you have 1 year to get on the same page and show your stuff.

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                    So Coach can he or can't he through the deep ball?
                    We don't have to wonder. We saw him do it. It's not a matter of can, but how often.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                      I think what you are talking about is when good QB's have been playing with good WR's for a prolonged period of time. with all this free agency and injuries occuring, you don't get to see the kelly to reed and montana to rice chemistry. so now its like you have 1 year to get on the same page and show your stuff.
                      and that would make him a great qb if he can. Manning doesn't need years to have chemistry with his wr's. Then again a lot of their schemes have to do with timing that can be learned at camp.

Flutie didn't need prlonged time with Moulds. He just trusted MOulds would come down with the ball. JP didn't need more than 3 years to have that with Evans. Bledsoe had 2 1,000 wr's in his first year here.
                      sacrifice1

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

Sure I remember 1 bomb to Evans who was wide open. In Coach's assesment is his arm strong enough to consistently go deep?

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                          and that would make him a great qb if he can. Manning doesn't need years to have chemistry with his wr's. Then again a lot of their schemes have to do with timing that can be learned at camp.

Flutie didn't need prlonged time with Moulds. He just trusted MOulds would come down with the ball. JP didn't need more than 3 years to have that with Evans. Bledsoe had 2 1,000 wr's in his first year here.
                          i wouldn't use flutie, JP or bledsoe in the same sentence as Great QB's. Flutie never relied on one WR to make plays. JP connected with Evans on the long ball, but hardly in a consistent manner.

Bledsoe, i'm on the fence with. He was good early. then by 2000, his days were behind him in a league that got much faster. sure he had thebig arm, but he could not make all the throws or keep drives alive.

I was more under the impression that you meant a QB and WR together show that they are really on the same page for all routes.

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                            Sure I remember 1 bomb to Evans who was wide open. In Coach's assesment is his arm strong enough to consistently go deep?
                            He wasn't wide open.

"It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
                              He wasn't wide open.

Step and a half is pretty open in the NFL.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X