PDA

View Full Version : Steve Johnson signed!

madness
07-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Per Vtext.

Bills sign wide receiver Johnson

Buffalo has half of their draft class under contract as seventh-round pick Steve Johnsonhttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6202#) signed with the club on Tuesday. The wide receiver was the second of three seventh-round selections by the Bills. With the signing the Bills now have all three seventh-round picks signed. Demetrius Bell signed last week and Kennard Cox signed last month.
Johnson had a relatively steady spring for a late round rookie in Buffalo's OTA and minicamp workouts. Blessed with a pro body already (6'2" 202), Johnson is expected to compete for the fifth and possibly final receiver role on Buffalo's roster later this summer. But he's taking nothing for granted.
"The seventh round seems like a free agent so of course I feel I have to make any play because there's no room for mistakes or anything," said Johnson. "So there's pressure, but it's no different than college or high school."
Johnson stepped up big in his final collegiate season at Kentucky as he became the fourth receiver in school history to post over 1,000 yards (1,041) and also scored 13 touchdowns.
Three of Johnson's scores were game winners including a waning-moment score in a comeback win over Louisville, a triple overtime game winner over top ranked LSU and a fourth quarter winner over Florida State in the Music City Bowl.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6202

Romes
07-08-2008, 11:02 AM
cool.

Mr. Miyagi
07-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Per Vtext.

Buffalo has half of their draft class under contract as seventh-round pick Steve Johnsonhttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6202#) signed with the club on Tuesday. The wide receiver was the second of three seventh-round selections by the Bills. With the signing the Bills now have all three seventh-round picks signed. Demetrius Bell signed last week and Kennard Cox signed last month.
Johnson had a relatively steady spring for a late round rookie in Buffalo's OTA and minicamp workouts. Blessed with a pro body already (6'2" 202), Johnson is expected to compete for the fifth and possibly final receiver role on Buffalo's roster later this summer. But he's taking nothing for granted.
"The seventh round seems like a free agent so of course I feel I have to make any play because there's no room for mistakes or anything," said Johnson. "So there's pressure, but it's no different than college or high school."
Johnson stepped up big in his final collegiate season at Kentucky as he became the fourth receiver in school history to post over 1,000 yards (1,041) and also scored 13 touchdowns.
Three of Johnson's scores were game winners including a waning-moment score in a comeback win over Louisville, a triple overtime game winner over top ranked LSU and a fourth quarter winner over Florida State in the Music City Bowl.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6202
That's a long text message.

Dujek
07-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I'd like to see him make the team.

Italian Stallion
07-08-2008, 11:07 AM
He has red dreads now just like Lynch...

def needs to change his number though...13 looks horrid on a WR

(Forrest Gump) "That's all I have to say about that."

BuffaloBillsStampede
07-08-2008, 11:09 AM
I actually like the lower numbers on the wideouts. I was hoping Hardy would do that.

Italian Stallion
07-08-2008, 11:11 AM
I actually like the lower numbers on the wideouts. I was hoping Hardy would do that.

Really? Well there's some that look cool...11, 17,19 imo

but 10-16 and 18 look like QB or kicker numbers...

stupid i know..but 10 (like on santonio holmes or desean jackson) just doesnt look right to me

gr8slayer
07-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Yay?

acehole
07-08-2008, 11:17 AM
The quiker we get all of these guys done the quicker we can get
Lee and the others done....in that order.

QUOTE=madness]Per Vtext.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6202[/QUOTE]

madness
07-08-2008, 11:36 AM
That's a long text message.

:snicker:

The Answer
07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
I'd like to see him make the team.

I think he will not only make the team, but crack his way into the lineup by midseason.

~The Answer

Tatonka
07-08-2008, 11:59 AM
best wr in the league. maybe in history.

mysticsoto
07-08-2008, 12:08 PM
rotoworld just listed this signing also, though I think they are promoting him quite a bit too much:

Bills signed seventh-round WR Steve Johnson to a multi-year contract.
Both from physical and in-college production standpoints, it's difficult to comprehend why so many teams let Johnson fall to round seven. He was also impressive in minicamp season, and if Johnson keeps it up deep into the summer, he could push fellow rookie James Hardy for snaps opposite Lee Evans.

madness
07-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Can Johnson crack WR lineup?

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today
</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 12:01 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3620)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>CAN JOHNSON CRACK WR LINEUP?: I think a lot of fans are assuming Johnson is a lock to make the 53-man roster. Personally I see it being one of the more interesting training camp battles. I like Johnson's potential a lot. He's a big body that can play physical if necessary and make tough catches over the middle.
But in a year where the offense needs to take a giant step forward I can't see the offensive staff plugging two rookies (Hardy, Johnson) into regular roles.
In addition I think Johnson will have to prove himself on special teams as much as offense because Justin Jenkins was an accomplished cover teams player. He was the gunner opposite John Wendling on punt coverage and those two excelled and helped the unit finish first in the league.
Jenkins impressed me in the last preseason game at Detroit last year where he was taking lick after lick over the middle and kept making catches. He's technically Josh Reed's backup since he's a similar type receiver, compact, strong, possession type.
Again I like Johnson, but if this team keeps just 5 wideouts he's going to be battling to make the team with Evans, Reed, Parrish, Hardy ahead of him and Jenkins to battle with. What do you think?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Answer
07-08-2008, 12:15 PM
rotoworld just listed this signing also, though I think they are promoting him quite a bit too much:

No they are spot on - this guy was a steal and should at worst be a #4 receiver in this league. In fact I would not be surprised at all if he takes reps away from Parrish/Reed by midseason.

Not saying he will end up being another Marques Colston type - but he definitely flew under the radar because he only had one prodcutive season at Kentucky, but then again so do a lot of other college prospects that get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round based on one good season.

~The Answer

bigbub2352
07-08-2008, 12:19 PM
IM sorry but i think Chris Brown's opinion on Buffalobills.com is completely wrong, i veiw this guy as the steal of our draft, he will be the number 5 at the very least, we dont need the other gunner on ST to be a WR so bye bye Jenkins, or hopefully REED, i think he has more than worn out his welcome here, i think Johnson will be the 3 WR we have been looking for since we drafted REED,

I really got a gut feeling about this kid he has all the attributes to be very good

mysticsoto
07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
No they are spot on - this guy was a steal and should at worst be a #4 receiver in this league. In fact I would not be surprised at all if he takes reps away from Parrish/Reed by midseason.

Not saying he will end up being another Marques Colston type - but he definitely flew under the radar because he only had one prodcutive season at Kentucky, but then again so do a lot of other college prospects that get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round based on one good season.

~The Answer
I understand that he was a steal (virtually everyone seems to agree with that), but it is also alot to say that he will be stealing reps away from veterans by midseason. Again, remember how Calvin Johnson was viewed last year as the #1 can't miss WR and he was just so-so in his rookie year. WR is a tough position to break out in your 1st year.

I hope you're right, actually, as we could use a few top WRs on our roster besides Evans, but I'm just trying to be a realist and acknowledge that that likelihood is pretty low...atleast for the short term.

hydro
07-08-2008, 12:25 PM
IM sorry but i think Chris Brown's opinion on Buffalobills.com is completely wrong, i veiw this guy as the steal of our draft, he will be the number 5 at the very least, we dont need the other gunner on ST to be a WR so bye bye Jenkins, or hopefully REED, i think he has more than worn out his welcome here, i think Johnson will be the 3 WR we have been looking for since we drafted REED,

I really got a gut feeling about this kid he has all the attributes to be very good

I don't understand you distaste for Reed. Except for the year that he had the droppsies, he has been a very solid receiver and blocker for this team.

jimbohastle51
07-08-2008, 01:20 PM
watch this guy, he will easily make the 53 man roster and i wouldnt be surprised if he gets some looks in our 4 man sets and in red zone situations, he was awesome for kentucky in that role. this could be a draft steal. and as impressive as hardy was at indiana, johnson was pretty impressive in the SEC which is way more competitive. great signing!!!

Ebenezer
07-08-2008, 01:21 PM
you beat me to it! :lol!:

PECKERWOOD
07-08-2008, 01:32 PM
I had the weirdest dream that a gigantic-amazon-space-girl was walking towards me and her clit broke off and transformed into a space shuttle and flew around like the magic school bus, it was sweet. Oopss!! Sorry, wrong thread! :(

bigbub2352
07-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't understand you distaste for Reed. Except for the year that he had the droppsies, he has been a very solid receiver and blocker for this team.

Maybe cause when he was counted on to be a number 2 he was awful couldnt get open and couldnt beat the jam at the line of scrimmage, the fact that he has like 5tds in like 4 yrs and makes over 2 mil a year,

I dont need awesome blockers at WR, i need awesome WRs

and there was more than one year he had the droppsies

justasportsfan
07-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I understand that he was a steal (virtually everyone seems to agree with that), .
McKelvin was a steal where we drafted him. As were Hardy, and everyone else. Hopefully we can steal a sb win at some point before these guys we stole are eligible for HOF.

mysticsoto
07-08-2008, 01:46 PM
McKelvin was a steal where we drafted him. As were Hardy, and everyone else. Hopefully we can steal a sb win at some point before these guys we stole are eligible for HOF.

Well, except for Evans and Crowell, we have almost everyone locked up for years. So as long as no one regresses, we should do pretty well the next few years. Alot of "how well we do" will depend and fall on the shoulders of TE and our new WRs corps...

Dr. Lecter
07-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Maybe cause when he was counted on to be a number 2 he was awful couldnt get open and couldnt beat the jam at the line of scrimmage, the fact that he has like 5tds in like 4 yrs and makes over 2 mil a year,

The only year he dropped the ball was his second.

As for blockers, you are wrong. Teams need WRs that can block. Clearly he is not a #2 guy, but he is a solid #3.

hydro
07-08-2008, 01:57 PM

Just because someone isn't living up to what he was counted on for doesn't mean he needs to be run out of town. The only thing you might have a good point about is the fact that he is making over 2 mil a year which is a little excessive but certainly not ridiculous for a #2/#3 WR.

justasportsfan
07-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Reed will be a beast this year.

mysticsoto
07-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Reed will be a beast this year.

You say that every year. :grind:

bigbub2352
07-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Just because someone isn't living up to what he was counted on for doesn't mean he needs to be run out of town. The only thing you might have a good point about is the fact that he is making over 2 mil a year which is a little excessive but certainly not ridiculous for a #2/#3 WR.

i would luv to have him on this team if he was the number 4 and paid accordingly, he cant get open guys, we were ranked 31st in the league and 30th in the league the last 2 yrs with this guy in the lineup, part of it is shoddy QB play, but when he does actually catch the ball, with the exception of his one TD against Maimi he gets tackled immediatly
He hasnt lived up to his billing at all
Just sayin i would luv to have some life in this WR core, not WRs who can block and cant play there postion effectivly
Every year i here the same **** he is having an awesome camp and looks like the best WR on the team
Then the season happens and we get 29catches for 400yds and 0 Tds
Luv it
he is 28 and already peaked
Just stating the obvious

bigbub2352
07-08-2008, 02:51 PM
The only year he dropped the ball was his second.

As for blockers, you are wrong. Teams need WRs that can block. Clearly he is not a #2 guy, but he is a solid #3.

Ok u point out what year he was effective in taking coverage of Lee, or made a game saving catch or a clutch catch or had 5 TDs in a season
all things that number 2 or 3 WR does for there offense
Reed needs to go there are better players out there
imagine if we signed another Vet with redzone capability and draft Hardy and Johnson but cut REEd would u really be pissed?

Oaf
07-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Well, he was our most consistent WR last year. He was the closest thing to a beast we had last year which is sad. Minus Lynch of course.

Oaf
07-08-2008, 02:56 PM
with the exception of his one TD against Maimi he gets tackled immediatly

That's flat out wrong.

Every year i here the same **** he is having an awesome camp and looks like the best WR on the team
Then the season happens and we get 29catches for 400yds and 0 Tds
Luv it

To some extent, that is true.

Oaf
07-08-2008, 02:58 PM

I don't understand why this was such a great post.

I saw the Rotoworld signing too, if he continues to impress deep into training camp(hard for rookies to be consistent for that long), why not? How was Colston able to get a chance week 1?

justasportsfan
07-08-2008, 03:12 PM
nope. Never said he'd be a beast other than he's been the qb's safety net. He's obviously Trent favorite target and Reed will thrive in Trents love for short passes. I'm sayng that because it's their second year together.

gr8slayer
07-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Reed is our best all around WR.

bigbub2352
07-08-2008, 04:06 PM
That's flat out wrong.

To some extent, that is true.

Really i dont see it he goes down on first contact 99.9% of the time

ParanoidAndroid
07-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Pre-draft, I was looking at Johnson in the 5th and thought he would be a steal there. I have a feeling about this guy. I know that means nothing, but 100% of the time, my instincts are right half the time. :D

mysticsoto
07-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Reed is our best all around WR.

I don't think that's something we should be proud of...b'cse in fact, it is pretty sad...

Tatonka
07-08-2008, 06:37 PM
I don't understand why this was such a great post.

I saw the Rotoworld signing too, if he continues to impress deep into training camp(hard for rookies to be consistent for that long), why not? How was Colston able to get a chance week 1?

i was actually just joking around.. i do really like him.. he had a great season last year for kentucky and am excited to see what he looks like in preseason.. he is probably the most hyped 7th round pick i can remember in a long while though.

Tatonka
07-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Really i dont see it he goes down on first contact 99.9% of the time

i disagree completed as well.:bandwagon

John Doe
07-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Can Johnson crack WR lineup?

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today

</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 12:01 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3620)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>CAN JOHNSON CRACK WR LINEUP?: I think a lot of fans are assuming Johnson is a lock to make the 53-man roster. Personally I see it being one of the more interesting training camp battles. I like Johnson's potential a lot. He's a big body that can play physical if necessary and make tough catches over the middle.
But in a year where the offense needs to take a giant step forward I can't see the offensive staff plugging two rookies (Hardy, Johnson) into regular roles.
In addition I think Johnson will have to prove himself on special teams as much as offense because Justin Jenkins was an accomplished cover teams player. He was the gunner opposite John Wendling on punt coverage and those two excelled and helped the unit finish first in the league.
Jenkins impressed me in the last preseason game at Detroit last year where he was taking lick after lick over the middle and kept making catches. He's technically Josh Reed's backup since he's a similar type receiver, compact, strong, possession type.
Again I like Johnson, but if this team keeps just 5 wideouts he's going to be battling to make the team with Evans, Reed, Parrish, Hardy ahead of him and Jenkins to battle with. What do you think?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I agree completely with Chris Brown here.

I really hope that Johnson:
1) makes the team
2) becomes a good player

It is certainly reasonable that the team keeps six wide-outs and he makes the team, although it is not a lock.

As of right now, he is #6 on the depth chart and he will not get to #5 unless he plays better than Jenkins on special teams or one of the other recievers gets injured.

If he does make the team but does not excel on special teams, then he will not even suit up on game-day, again barring injury to the other wides.

I will be surprised if Johnson has more than 10 catches this season.

Saratoga Slim
07-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I understand that he was a steal (virtually everyone seems to agree with that), but it is also alot to say that he will be stealing reps away from veterans by midseason. Again, remember how Calvin Johnson was viewed last year as the #1 can't miss WR and he was just so-so in his rookie year. WR is a tough position to break out in your 1st year.

I hope you're right, actually, as we could use a few top WRs on our roster besides Evans, but I'm just trying to be a realist and acknowledge that that likelihood is pretty low...atleast for the short term.

Good distinction. Steve Johnson can be a steal and still not be counted on to provide a huge boost this year. Marques Colston and Anquan Boldin are total rarities, and their exceptional rookie seasons prove the rule that rookie WRs do not usually become go-to guys in that first season. I think we can still be excited about Johnson as a future WR for this team, while not necessarily being excited about his chances for contributing this year.

Theoretically speaking, Johnson may be as likely to succeed as Hardy in the long run, but the fact is Hardy is going to get much more of a chance to get reps this year than Johnson by virtue of the simple fact that we invested a lot more in him via draft pick and money (soon to come).

I think Chris Brown is right - Johnson needs to show value as a special teamer to put him over the edge and secure an active roster spot, so that he gets the chance to get some reps over the course of the season. Say what you will about our other receivers, I think that they may all look a lot better if they are put into the roles that suit them, which has not been the case over the past several years because of our lack of a tall and capable #2 receiver.
Reed does have value has a slot receiver/blocker, and Parrish has perhaps even more value as a slot receiver/#1 punt returner. It's going to be REALLY tough for the coaching staff to justify ditching either of those two on the roster for Johnson. To some extent the same may be true for the unproven Hardy, but unlike the 7th rounder Johnson, the team has to put Hardy at minimum on the roster b/c of his draft status and money. As a 7th rounder, Johnson simply doesn't have any leverage to secure a roster spot other than the skills he can show in whatever limited opportunities he gets--and that leverage will not be initially enough to dislodge Reed or Parrish. No way.

That leaves a competition with Jenkins for #5. Johnson has to either really blow away the staff in camp/preseason with his WR ability as an exception to the rule of rookie WRs, or alternatively show that he can add value as a special teamer while he develops, in order to avoid the anonymity of the practice squad for 2008.

ParanoidAndroid
07-09-2008, 02:30 AM
This is a building offense. If Johnson keeps showing flashes, they will not release him. They will not keep just 5 WR's. Six is a safe bet and I truly believe that Johnson is going to be one of those.

justasportsfan
07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
If he wants to keep his job, he'll have to earn it when the pads come on.