• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Answer
    The Plagiarist
    • Mar 2007

SI: 2008 cap numbers for Bills

Anybody see some potential cap cuts here? I've bolded some players of interest - some of these numbers are simply ridiculous based on the level of production:

PlayerPositionCap Number ($)
    Anderson, CourtneyTE660,625
    Barnes, DarianRB611,730
    Bryan, CopelandDE376,720
    Butler, BradOL495,470
    Chambers, KirkOL526,720
    Corto, JonS301,720
    Costanzo, BlakeLB375,760
    Crowell, AngeloLB1,968,750
    Denney, ChrisWR295,000
    Denney, RyanDE3,106,720 - complete joke
    DiGiorgio, JohnLB455,054
    Dockery, DerrickOL6,356,720
    Edwards, TrentQB734,470
    Ellison, KeithLB478,470
    Estes, PatrickOL526,720
    Evans, JonathanRB301,720
    Evans, LeeWR3,130,344
    Everett, KevinTE616,720
    Fitzpatrick, D.J.K301,720
    Fowler, MelvinOL3,323,388 - We need to dump and sign Bentley
    Fox, DustinS376,720
    Gaddis, ChristianOL376,720
    Greer, JabariCB1,015,000
    Hamdan, GibranQB526,720
    Huggins, FeltonWR301,720
    Jackson, FredrickRB376,720
    James, WillCB1,250,000
    Jefferson, JasonDT933,720
    Jenkins, JustinWR376,720
    Johnson, SpencerDE3,506,720
    Johnson, TeyoTE530,200
    Kelsay, ChrisDE5,000,000 - what a joke
    Lindell, RianK1,566,720
    Losman, J.P.QB3,068,250
    Lynch, MarshawnRB1,957,873
    Mace, CoreyDE301,720
    Massaquoi, TimTE450,760
    Mayle, ScottWR301,720
    McCargo, JohnDT1,575,000
    McCaskill, NevinOL301,720
    McGee, TerrenceCB4,125,000
    Mitchell, KawikaLB4,006,720
    Moorman, BrianK2,243,148
    Murphy, MattTE642,970
    Neill, RyanDE376,720
    Nua, ShaunDE376,720
    Parrish, RoscoeWR4,261,720 - bye bye
    Peters, JasonOL4,450,000
    Posluszny, PaulLB873,720
    Preston, Raymond 'Duke'OL1,036,510
    Reed, JoshWR2,925,000 - yikes
    Royal, RobertTE2,331,720 - way too much for a blocker
    Schobel, AaronDE8,729,795 - vomit inducing
    Schouman, DerekRB376,720
    Scott, BryanS800,000
    Simpson, Yukota 'Ko'S567,970
    Stroud, MarcusDT5,673,386
    Walker, LangstonOL6,006,720
    Wendling, JohnS401,407
    Whitner, DonteS2,734,500
    Whittle, JasonOL776,737
    Williams, KyleDT499,970
    Wilson, GeorgeWR526,720
    Wright, DwayneRB491,970
    Youboty, AshtonCB647,970

~The Answer
    Last edited by The Answer; 07-08-2008, 12:47 PM.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: SI: 2008 cap numbers for Bills

Schobel's cap hit is 9 MILLION??????? Kelsay's is 5 Million?

WTF? No wonder this team can't win. We're paying $1.56 million for each sack.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• VeggieMan14
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37

yea thats prettty ridiculous. i think we payed half of these guys cuz they had one good year
      I feel a win streak coming and a Bills Playoff Run!!!

VeggieMan- To many Concussions as a kid

Comment

• The Answer
        The Plagiarist
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by OpIv37

Also unless Parrish's number is wrong - I can definitely see him going bye bye if Hardy and/or Johnson have a good camp. No way we should be paying a #4 receiver more money than our #1 receiver. I hope Evans don't see this.

I would also dump Fowler and his 3.3 mil in a heartbeat and start Preston at center. No wonder he is big pimping with that kind of money being paid for mediorce at best play on the field.

~The Answer

Comment

• CAbills
          • Jul 2004

He's number 4 receiver but also the top dog on our special team unit. Had a huge punt return average last year. You forget that not too long ago we had guys like Antonio Brown running backwards. Is 4 mil too much sure, but its not like we are dying because of cap space.
          Lets Go Buffalo!
          Boiler Up!

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by CAbills
            He's number 4 receiver but also the top dog on our special team unit. Had a huge punt return average last year. You forget that not too long ago we had guys like Antonio Brown running backwards. Is 4 mil too much sure, but its not like we are dying because of cap space.
            no but this team has a self imposed spending limit, and every player who is not performing up to their salary is a drain on resources. If we took $1 million each from Parrish, Reed, Schobel, Kelsay and Fowler to bring their salaries into a more reasonable range for their actual contributions, that's a big name FA or an extension for Evans or Crowell.

The teams that win aren't the ones that spend money wildly or the ones that don't pay anyone- they're the teams that pay players who put up big money.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ed
              Dude
              • Sep 2002

Parrish was just re-signed to a new deal last year or during the season, I can't remember. But I doubt they would have done that if he was at risk of being cut. His numbers may not have been great, but Evans' were way down too. That's what happens when you can't get good qb play. This regime likes him, and he's a star on special teams. His numbers should improve too if we actually use his abilities on offense.

Comment

• gil
                • Mar 2005

yes, by all means, let's cut Fowler and bring in a guy who will probably go on IR the first week of camp. As for Preston, I don't think they see him as starting material - in fact I'm pretty sure he'll be a camp cut this year.

I agree some of those other numbers are crazy, but I don't think there are a lot of proven options out there in FA to replace those guys like Parrish and we have no idea what Johnson will really be like.

Comment

• madness
                  • Apr 2003

Has SI's list ever been accurate? I can't remember that far back.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

You guys are hysterical...do you even pay atttention to the salary cap? Do you read anything Clump puts out there?

There are no such things as salary cap casualties any more. You can pay a player almost anything you want. There is so much money in the cap that you can keep anybody you want. You have to get pretty dumb with the cap to create "casualties". Moreover, the Bills are not on a self-imposed spending limit as far as the cap goes. They only shell out so much money per year. They structure contracts in a way where they are beneficial to the team without destroying the cap. The cost of some of the players. Overpaid? Some are but they have taken the philosophy to develop their own and use consistency instead of buying a team. You complain about Schoebl's cap hit. The only people in the country that ***** about his numbers are Bills fans. He's not Bruce Smith but that is the market. Withstanding all the injuries the defense hasn't been all bad. Finally, there is a MINIMUM salary cap. You have to pay somebody something to get to the minimum. In that scenario some players are going to be overpaid because in essence you are throwing money around like a drunken sailor - but that is the system; teams don't have a choice.

And some of the "highlighted" names. Really??? DO you watch the games? Moorman? Lindell? Fowler? What have Moorman and Lindell done to get canned? Fowler is average but who are you going to replace him with?

Yeah, yeah, I know. The Bills are cheap and don't want to win and didn't buy up every free agent so they suck and will suck forever.....

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• X-Era
                      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Answer
                      Anybody see some potential cap cuts here? I've bolded some players of interest - some of these numbers are simply ridiculous based on the level of production:

PlayerPositionCap Number ($)
                      Anderson, CourtneyTE660,625
                      Barnes, DarianRB611,730
                      Bryan, CopelandDE376,720
                      Butler, BradOL495,470
                      Chambers, KirkOL526,720
                      Corto, JonS301,720
                      Costanzo, BlakeLB375,760
                      Crowell, AngeloLB1,968,750
                      Denney, ChrisWR295,000
                      Denney, RyanDE3,106,720 - complete joke
                      DiGiorgio, JohnLB455,054
                      Dockery, DerrickOL6,356,720
                      Edwards, TrentQB734,470
                      Ellison, KeithLB478,470
                      Estes, PatrickOL526,720
                      Evans, JonathanRB301,720
                      Evans, LeeWR3,130,344
                      Everett, KevinTE616,720
                      Fitzpatrick, D.J.K301,720
                      Fowler, MelvinOL3,323,388 - We need to dump and sign Bentley
                      Fox, DustinS376,720
                      Gaddis, ChristianOL376,720
                      Greer, JabariCB1,015,000
                      Hamdan, GibranQB526,720
                      Huggins, FeltonWR301,720
                      Jackson, FredrickRB376,720
                      James, WillCB1,250,000
                      Jefferson, JasonDT933,720
                      Jenkins, JustinWR376,720
                      Johnson, SpencerDE3,506,720
                      Johnson, TeyoTE530,200
                      Kelsay, ChrisDE5,000,000 - what a joke
                      Lindell, RianK1,566,720
                      Losman, J.P.QB3,068,250
                      Lynch, MarshawnRB1,957,873
                      Mace, CoreyDE301,720
                      Massaquoi, TimTE450,760
                      Mayle, ScottWR301,720
                      McCargo, JohnDT1,575,000
                      McCaskill, NevinOL301,720
                      McGee, TerrenceCB4,125,000
                      Mitchell, KawikaLB4,006,720
                      Moorman, BrianK2,243,148
                      Murphy, MattTE642,970
                      Neill, RyanDE376,720
                      Nua, ShaunDE376,720
                      Parrish, RoscoeWR4,261,720 - bye bye
                      Peters, JasonOL4,450,000
                      Posluszny, PaulLB873,720
                      Preston, Raymond 'Duke'OL1,036,510
                      Reed, JoshWR2,925,000 - yikes
                      Royal, RobertTE2,331,720 - way too much for a blocker
                      Schobel, AaronDE8,729,795 - vomit inducing
                      Schouman, DerekRB376,720
                      Scott, BryanS800,000
                      Simpson, Yukota 'Ko'S567,970
                      Stroud, MarcusDT5,673,386
                      Walker, LangstonOL6,006,720
                      Wendling, JohnS401,407
                      Whitner, DonteS2,734,500
                      Whittle, JasonOL776,737
                      Williams, KyleDT499,970
                      Wilson, GeorgeWR526,720
                      Wright, DwayneRB491,970
                      Youboty, AshtonCB647,970

~The Answer
                      The complete joke is your take on things

I would be surprised if you can find another team who has more for less. Lots of teams have more, but not for less.

Many here need a serious awakening as to the going prices for players these days.

The ONLY part that I partly agree with is the amount of money that this says we have invested in our DE's. But with the drafting of Ellis, at least one may be headed for greener pastures... Hopefully its Denney.

Comment

• DrGraves
                        • Mar 2008

cut jp!

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The Answer
                          Also unless Parrish's number is wrong - I can definitely see him going bye bye if Hardy and/or Johnson have a good camp. No way we should be paying a #4 receiver more money than our #1 receiver. I hope Evans don't see this.

I would also dump Fowler and his 3.3 mil in a heartbeat and start Preston at center. No wonder he is big pimping with that kind of money being paid for mediorce at best play on the field.

~The Answer
                          Parrish was just extended, hes going no where.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                            • Aug 2006

They front-loaded Roscoe's new deal.

Next year (2009), his cap hit will be about $3 million.
                            In 2010 and 2011, it will be about $1.6 million for each season.

Even if he never catches another pass.....if he is still an elite punt returner at that time, he'll be a bargain.
                            Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                            And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• Lexwhat
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                              You guys are hysterical...do you even pay atttention to the salary cap? Do you read anything Clump puts out there?

There are no such things as salary cap casualties any more. You can pay a player almost anything you want. There is so much money in the cap that you can keep anybody you want. You have to get pretty dumb with the cap to create "casualties". Moreover, the Bills are not on a self-imposed spending limit as far as the cap goes. They only shell out so much money per year. They structure contracts in a way where they are beneficial to the team without destroying the cap. The cost of some of the players. Overpaid? Some are but they have taken the philosophy to develop their own and use consistency instead of buying a team. You complain about Schoebl's cap hit. The only people in the country that ***** about his numbers are Bills fans. He's not Bruce Smith but that is the market. Withstanding all the injuries the defense hasn't been all bad. Finally, there is a MINIMUM salary cap. You have to pay somebody something to get to the minimum. In that scenario some players are going to be overpaid because in essence you are throwing money around like a drunken sailor - but that is the system; teams don't have a choice.

And some of the "highlighted" names. Really??? DO you watch the games? Moorman? Lindell? Fowler? What have Moorman and Lindell done to get canned? Fowler is average but who are you going to replace him with?

Yeah, yeah, I know. The Bills are cheap and don't want to win and didn't buy up every free agent so they suck and will suck forever.....

I dont have an issue throwing money around, except that extensions are being given to the WRONG players, and for pathetic amounts...

------------

Here's what I wouldn't have done:

Why the hell did the Bills give Schobel that extension last year? He didn't need it, and he wasn't worth that much. Not to mention, the guy was already 30 years old!! Never give a player that old that much money.

Ryan Denney? Robert Royal? What a joke ... Royal never deserved that contract in the first place, and everyone knew it.

The same crap is happening now with Kyle Williams.

----------

What would I have done differently? I can tell you:

1. I would have given Jason Peters a lucrative contract extension instead of Aaron Schobel. Peters is very young, and still has great upside.

2. I would give Angelo Crowell the same contract as Kiwika Mitchell. It's fair market value, IMHO, and Crowell is valuable to our team.

3. Pay Lee Evans. Again, throwing money around is fine, as long as we give it to young players with upside, who are valuable to our team. Lee Evans is one of those players.

4. They should have extended John McCargo BEFORE extending Kyle Williams. The Bills threw too much money at a rotational player in Williams. You know its true, when even Kyle Williams himself was shocked at the contract.

5. We should've drafted a Center already! Finding a decent one in the draft is not that difficult, and that player would have been a lot cheaper than Melvin Fowler. It's not uncommon for Centers to start in their rookie year.

6. I think the Derrick Dockery, Brad Butler, and Kiwika Mitchell contracts were excellent. I think Josh Reed and Chris Kelsay's contracts were okay, and I wont complain about them.

Comment

Working...
                              X