PDA

View Full Version : Smith==gone

rbochan
07-08-2008, 02:59 PM
clicky clicky (http://senators.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=367999)

OpIv37
07-08-2008, 03:04 PM
another one bites the dust.

Looks like Rivet is our only upgrade.

JD
07-08-2008, 03:09 PM
grrrreat

JD
07-08-2008, 03:14 PM

RockStar36
07-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Yep, Rivet is it. Season starts tomorrow.

THATHURMANATOR
07-08-2008, 03:32 PM
We have a pleathera of young high level D prospects. Do we really need another old baller?

Philagape
07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
We have a pleathera of young high level D prospects. Do we really need another old baller?

Although I would prefer also adding Smith.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=2507095&highlight=smith#post2507095

Michael82
07-08-2008, 03:38 PM
BOOO!!! :down:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Sabres depth chart on D

Tallinder Lydman
Spacek Rivet
Weber Sekera

Paetsch

mchurchfie
07-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Great and he goes to ****ing Nottawa of all places.:mad:

Ebenezer
07-08-2008, 03:59 PM
...amazing...you'd all ***** too if they spent all their money on free agents and didn't resign Miller and Pommes...

And before you start anything about Miller I will throw in what I ask everytime...if not Miller then whom?? If not Pommes then whom? If you can't answer those than don't post.

Dr. Lecter
07-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I would have loved to have seen Smith here. 2.6 at his age and physical condition is a bit much, but I would have liked him as a player.

Philagape
07-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Smith got 2.6 a year. Not exactly a budget buster.

Dr. Lecter
07-08-2008, 04:06 PM
It is not helpful when you are looking to add ~10 million in salary next year with Miller and Pominville.

Philagape
07-08-2008, 04:12 PM
It is not helpful when you are looking to add ~10 million in salary next year with Miller and Pominville.

Dump Max, Kotalik and/or Connolly, and the cap figures to go up again; no problem.

And Smith is exactly the kind of player they miss out out on because of a self-imposed cap.

mchurchfie
07-08-2008, 04:14 PM
...amazing...you'd all ***** too if they spent all their money on free agents and didn't resign Miller and Pommes...

And before you start anything about Miller I will throw in what I ask everytime...if not Miller then whom?? If not Pommes then whom? If you can't answer those than don't post.
The Rangers, Detroit, and others have managed to keep their quality core players and still be able to add some quality depth FAs. With a little creativity it could have been done here. Why must we always make excuses for Buffalo's FO??

Ebenezer
07-08-2008, 04:17 PM
The Rangers, Detroit, and others have managed to keep their quality core players and still be able to add some quality depth FAs. With a little creativity it could have been done here. Why must we always make excuses for Buffalo's FO??
Not making excuses...those teams are also able to go to the top of the cap.

and if you are Smith would you rather go to Ottawa or Buffalo for the same money?

mchurchfie
07-08-2008, 04:27 PM

and if you are Smith would you rather go to Ottawa or Buffalo for the same money?
If you make it deep into the POs then you have a better chance of affording to go a little higher on the cap. That means positioning yourself to have a better shot at it by bringing in better players to help you get there. Smith has been just hanging out there for awhile now so I'll bet if Buffalo would have been a little more proactive they could have snagged him before Nottawa. Sometimes you have to take a spin of the wheel and Regier wouldn't do it if his mother's life depended on it.

JD
07-08-2008, 04:47 PM

With the depth Ottawa will continue to lose, I'd go with Buffalo.

chernobylwraiths
07-08-2008, 05:30 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=2507095&highlight=smith#post2507095

:rofl:

Come on Thurm, let's hear it.

"who cares"

SabreEleven
07-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Smith got 2.6 a year. Not exactly a budget buster.

He'll have a better chance at the Cup in Nottawa

OpIv37
07-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Yep, Rivet is it. Season starts tomorrow.

who's left that's going to make this team better? The list was short at the start of FA and now it's almost completely gone.

OpIv37
07-08-2008, 08:45 PM

Well that depends if the FA's they brought in were better than Pominville or Miller. Oh, and so far, they haven't re-signed either one. So, we're not adding new guys and we're not keeping our own guys- what exactly are they doing?

And before you go on this whole "patience" deal, the rest of the NHL is making moves- either on their guys or on FA's. And we're not. So you can say I'm being impatient all you want but patience doesn't help in this situation. All it's going to do is allow the FA's to sign with other teams or allow some other team to re-sign their player for a huge salary and set an expensive baseline for us to re-sign our guys.

Dr. Lecter
07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
He'll have a better chance at the Cup in Nottawa

Not really.

Have you seen Ottawa's offseason and late season collapse?

JD
07-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Well that depends if the FA's they brought in were better than Pominville or Miller. Oh, and so far, they haven't re-signed either one. So, we're not adding new guys and we're not keeping our own guys- what exactly are they doing?

And before you go on this whole "patience" deal, the rest of the NHL is making moves- either on their guys or on FA's. And we're not. So you can say I'm being impatient all you want but patience doesn't help in this situation. All it's going to do is allow the FA's to sign with other teams or allow some other team to re-sign their player for a huge salary and set an expensive baseline for us to re-sign our guys.
:goodpost:

THATHURMANATOR
07-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I would have taken him. Just saying that we didn't NEED him.

Ebenezer
07-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Well that depends if the FA's they brought in were better than Pominville or Miller.

Name names.

THATHURMANATOR
07-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Rhett Warrener is out there and I hear he was in town. I would easily take him as a 5th or 6th. Same type of player as Smith and a couple years younger. Probably cheaper too.

don137
07-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Dump Max, Kotalik and/or Connolly, and the cap figures to go up again; no problem.

The problem is this not EA Sports and the market for trading inconsistant and/or injury prone players with a decent salary is not great. If you dump a guy even for a bag of pucks you need to replace him with someone that can contribute more to the team then the player they lost.
Regier is doing the best he can. He did two trades last week and the end result was a better team. I am sure he is trying but it is not as easy as you make it seem.

OpIv37
07-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Name names.

I didn't say they SHOULD let Miller and Pominville go- I said if they did let Miller and Pominville go to bring in FA's, I'd evaluate the moves on the quality of the FA's they brought in in their place. I really don't know enough about the remaining FA's to comment on who would be better.

BTW, when someone like RockStar implies the FO still has time to make moves before the season starts, why don't you ask him to name names?

Philagape
07-09-2008, 07:54 AM
The problem is this not EA Sports and the market for trading inconsistant and/or injury prone players with a decent salary is not great. If you dump a guy even for a bag of pucks you need to replace him with someone that can contribute more to the team then the player they lost.
Regier is doing the best he can. He did two trades last week and the end result was a better team. I am sure he is trying but it is not as easy as you make it seem.

I didn't say trade them. All three are FAs after this season. We were talking about 2009.

don137
07-09-2008, 08:32 AM
I didn't say trade them. All three are FAs after this season. We were talking about 2009.
My bad, when you say dump them I thought you meant now...

Philagape
07-09-2008, 08:54 AM
My bad, when you say dump them I thought you meant now...

I should have said let go

SabreEleven
07-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Not really.

Have you seen Ottawa's offseason and late season collapse?

did you see the Sabres didn't make the playoffs last year and they are going into the season with the same team...:ill: When you do things the same way, you'll get the same results.