PDA

View Full Version : Some top prospects carry talent, mystery

Gunzlingr
04-23-2003, 08:21 AM
BY CLARK JUDGE
FOXSports.com
Apr. 22, 2003 7:32 p.m.

There are fewer players in this year's draft more intriguing than University of Tennessee wide receiver Kelley Washington.
Some teams have him rated as the third-best wide receiver, behind Michigan State's Charles Rogers and Miami's Andre Johnson, while others don't have him rated at all — removing Washington from their boards because of a serious neck injury that required surgery last November.

The problem is that while Washington has been cleared to practice, he hasn't been cleared to play. And he won't be for another month, which causes a dilemma for anyone on the verge of investing millions in the guy.

Washington is here to allay their fears.

"It's a six-month process," he said Tuesday afternoon, "and the surgeon is not going to clear me until six months are up. I'm going to be re-evaluated, but I'm not worried. I'll definitely be in training camp.

"I went to the best surgeon in the world, one who operated on 'Rocket' (Ismail) and Michael Irvin, and they were able to go back and play. Knowing that and passing my MRIs makes me very optimistic about the future."

The question is: Who shares that optimism? At his best, Washington is a premier receiver who has the size, speed, strength and hands that make scouts drool. But while his private workout last month solidified his first-round credentials, the neck injury has some clubs so nervous they have him designated as undraftable.

more (http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=1097008)