PDA

View Full Version : Do you guarantee Bills are playoff bound?

Bling
07-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Let's revisit this thread at the end of the season.

OpIv37
07-09-2008, 10:17 AM
I don't think the Bills are going to make it, but I won't guarantee it. It's way too early to talk that kind of trash.

Ebenezer
07-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't guarantee anything in this life...other than death.

Mr. Miyagi
07-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Most media people other than maybe crazy Adam Schein think we're maybe 8-8 at best. Mike and Mike on ESPN think we have no certainty at QB either, like Miami or Jets or Baltimore. Yet they think Vince Young is a barrel of gold.

I love it every time they talk like that. So we can sneak up on people easier. :up:

Mr. Miyagi
07-09-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't guarantee anything in this life...other than death.
Taxes?

yordad
07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
How do I go about guaranteeing it? Do I return the season if we don't make it?

OpIv37
07-09-2008, 10:28 AM
How do I go about guaranteeing it? Do I return the season if we don't make it?

ha.

If you make the guarantee, you get to gloat if you're right and you have to eat crow if you're wrong. That's it.

justasportsfan
07-09-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't gurantee it but I think will make wild card.

The King
07-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Im guranteeing it... Faith.

Plus Thunderstruck came on when I opened this thread, thats a damn good sign.

OpIv37
07-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Im guranteeing it... Faith.

Plus Thunderstruck came on when I opened this thread, thats a damn good sign.

Faith that these guys who can do something that they've never proven they can do? That's not faith- it's blind faith, which is naive.

Dujek
07-09-2008, 10:43 AM
If everyone stays relatively healthy the Bills should make the playoffs, however there are far too many things that could go wrong right now to guarantee anything.

justasportsfan
07-09-2008, 10:47 AM
That's not faith- it's blind faith, which is naive.

Making playoffs is not as far fetched as the giants winning the sb last year. I doubt you even gave them a chance of winning the sb last year.

The King
07-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Faith that these guys who can do something that they've never proven they can do? That's not faith- it's blind faith, which is naive.

Theres one difference between you and I. We are both rooting for the same thing, the same outcome.

However, in my head the Bills are making the playoffs which brings me a great deal of joy. In your head you're skeptical, you dont want to commit that emotion.

If they dont make it we both feel let down and shunned but at least I had that time of joy where in my head we were a playoff team.

Call me naive? Sure. But it's better than being miserable.

OpIv37
07-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Making playoffs is not as far fetched as the giants winning the sb last year. I doubt you even gave them a chance of winning the sb last year.

Of course I didn't- there was no good reason to.

But once again, the exception to prove the rule..... yeah, it could happen. But statistics, probability and past performance suggest that it won't. And even the Giants going into the season last year were in better shape than we currently are.

OpIv37
07-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Theres one difference between you and I. We are both rooting for the same thing, the same outcome.

However, in my head the Bills are making the playoffs which brings me a great deal of joy. In your head you're skeptical, you dont want to commit that emotion.

If they dont make it we both feel let down and shunned but at least I had that time of joy where in my head we were a playoff team.

Call me naive? Sure. But it's better than being miserable.

hahaha being realistic is the same as being miserable?

Sorry, but I don't have to pretend the Bills are better than they are in my head to enjoy football. I can deal with the reality and still watch the games and enjoy the wins.

The King
07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
hahaha being realistic is the same as being miserable?

In some cases, sure.

Mr. Pink
07-09-2008, 10:58 AM
I'll guarantee the Bills finish around .500. Does that mean playoffs though? We'll find out around week 14 on how the rest of the AFC is playing.

OpIv37
07-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I'll guarantee the Bills finish around .500. Does that mean playoffs though? We'll find out around week 14 on how the rest of the AFC is playing.

that's the same as guaranteeing we won't make the playoffs. In the AFC, 10-6 is a bubble team. 11-5 or better is the only guarantee to get a wild card.

OpIv37
07-09-2008, 11:02 AM
In some cases, sure.

well, to each his own, but if reality is miserable, then I'd rather be realistic and miserable then live in a fantasy world.

The Answer
07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Let's revisit this thread at the end of the season.

Whitner already guaranteed it for us. :bandwagon

~The Answer

THATHURMANATOR
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Who in their right mind would guarantee the Bills make the playoffs?

OpIv37
07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Who in their right mind would guarantee the Bills make the playoffs?

Donte Whitner just did.

madness
07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
There should be another option for those who will gaurantee the Bills will NOT make the playoffs.

Mr. Pink
07-09-2008, 11:54 AM
that's the same as guaranteeing we won't make the playoffs. In the AFC, 10-6 is a bubble team. 11-5 or better is the only guarantee to get a wild card.

Most likely we'll come up just short of the 6 seed, yeah.

yordad
07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
ha.

If you make the guarantee, you get to gloat if you're right and you have to eat crow if you're wrong. That's it.OK, I'm a risk taker. I guarantee it.

Buckets
07-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah RIGHT

DrGraves
07-09-2008, 01:28 PM
i think we are on the brink, but i also think that if lynch went down with an injury we are a 3/4 win team.

Patti120
07-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I plead the 5th!

ublinkwescore
07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
We're certainly due.

ublinkwescore
07-09-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm going gambling next weekend - if I come back significantly richer, we're going to the playoffs - if I stink it up - it's gonna be a long and less entertaining january.

PECKERWOOD
07-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Sure, I guarantee it. What happens if I'm wrong? :ontome:

Luisito23
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Only death is guaranteed so therefore no.

yordad
07-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Only death is guaranteed so therefore no.So you know how to get out of taxes? :idunno:

(beat ya to it Miyagi)

SABURZFAN
07-09-2008, 09:13 PM
nothing is a guarantee. too many things can happen from August- January. if we go injury-free the whole season, we may have a shot. the starting QB will have to play without making too many mistakes too.

mikemac2001
07-09-2008, 09:14 PM

hey sorry that everyones faith and hope hasnt died like yours....i think we have a talented team

i will donte whitner it and guarantee playoffs

and even if we made playoffs op would *****

SABURZFAN
07-09-2008, 09:32 PM
i can guarantee that ublink can woof down an 18 inch sub with ease.

mikemac2001
07-09-2008, 10:52 PM
The stupid thing about this is anyone cay say i guarantee it were not gonna die if we are wrong were not making a bet so there is nothing to lose....its just the negative people in the forum that makes every thread annoying

we havent played a down we have made improvements be optimistic....giants had sucked for years always blew it in nov and dec and WOW they didnt last year....who knows something sparked something so why cant it happen to us

LABillsFan
07-10-2008, 12:03 AM
The Bills have 2 chances to get into the playoffs, #5 or #6. They'll be battling 4-5 other teams for those spots. I see them being, Clev, Jax, Tenn, Cincy and KC for those spots. They lose just one game to the Jets or Dolphins, they don't make it.

yordad
07-10-2008, 12:17 AM
The Bills have 2 chances to get into the playoffs, #5 or #6. They'll be battling 4-5 other teams for those spots. I see them being, Clev, Jax, Tenn, Cincy and KC for those spots. They lose just one game to the Jets or Dolphins, they don't make it.I think the Colts, Pats, and Chargers are shoe ins. The Steelers or Browns will be the 4th. The Jags will make it. That leaves us battling with the loser between the Browns and Steelers, the Titans, and maybe the Broncos for the 6th spot.

I don't think the Cincy or KC will be up there. Just my opinion.

Jan Reimers
07-10-2008, 07:12 AM
I predict they are playoff bound before every season. Sometime I'll be right.

OpIv37
07-10-2008, 08:39 AM
hey sorry that everyones faith and hope hasnt died like yours....i think we have a talented team

i will donte whitner it and guarantee playoffs

and even if we made playoffs op would *****

don't give me that ****. This team hasn't made the playoffs since long before this message board is in existence, so don't go making assumptions about how I would act in a situation where you've never seen me.

And the people who's faith and hope haven't died don't pay much attention to reality. The reality is that we did nothing except James Hardy to the 30th ranked offense. This team is not going to the playoffs.

OpIv37
07-10-2008, 08:43 AM
The stupid thing about this is anyone cay say i guarantee it were not gonna die if we are wrong were not making a bet so there is nothing to lose....its just the negative people in the forum that makes every thread annoying

we havent played a down we have made improvements be optimistic....giants had sucked for years always blew it in nov and dec and WOW they didnt last year....who knows something sparked something so why cant it happen to us

jesus, can we just quit this Giants garbage already? They were the EXCEPTION, not the RULE. It was a fluke- something that rarely happens.

Just because it happened to some other team with other players in a different year does NOT mean anything for the Bills. It does NOT make the team we have to field any better. I'm really sick of this simple minded "if the Giants can do it, why not us?" mentality. The reason we can't do it is because we don't have the personnel to do it and the Giants did.

LtFinFan66
07-10-2008, 08:45 AM
:opiv:

justasportsfan
07-10-2008, 08:46 AM
jesus, can we just quit this Giants garbage already? They were the EXCEPTION, not the RULE. It was a fluke- something that rarely happens.

Just because it happened to some other team with other players in a different year does NOT mean anything for the Bills. It does NOT make the team we have to field any better. I'm really sick of this simple minded "if the Giants can do it, why not us?" mentality. The reason we can't do it is because we don't have the personnel to do it and the Giants did.
this is why I will be on your side blasting Jauron if we don't make playoffs. I don't care for " 9-7 is an improvement" crap . It's his 3rd year. NO excuses.

mikemac2001
07-10-2008, 09:32 AM

Well two of our starters arnt rookies....the line if peters comes back will have there 2nd year together....TE is what pisses me off we needed a big improvement thats area that scares me.

But i feel our OC cant be worse then fairchild also so that alone should move us up a couple spots and hardy helping around redzone is also big he will draw more attention just bc of his height opens up more for us

im giving u the giants **** because we have seen it plenty of times some random team goes on a tear and ends up deep in playoffs '

its not a rule but happens alot i could go back the past year and look up records but whats the point....Rams came out of nowhere so did the pats even.....ravens a few years back...packers last year........

your just a negative looker on things and that will never change no matter what this team does

justasportsfan
07-10-2008, 09:46 AM
im giving u the giants **** because we have seen it plenty of times some random team goes on a tear and ends up deep in playoffs '

its not a rule but happens alot i could go back the past year and look up records but whats the point....Rams came out of nowhere so did the pats even.....ravens a few years back...packers last year........

your just a negative looker on things and that will never change no matter what this team doesthe PAts were also the exception to the rule the first time they won the sb. There's been too many exceptions to the rules except that the bills are never one of them unless it's something bad like wide right , 4 straight sb losses or music city miracle.

I don't expect Dick to make this team an exception but 3 years is the average turn around time and he's been backed up by the FO 100% . If Dick can't make this team a playoff team in the average turn around time, I'm not gonna expect him to ever get us to the sb.

Marvelous
07-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I say NO.
--I wanna say YEAH, but i dunno about our skilled positions. Our WR's are still suspect at best. Sure Evans is a beast, but Reed,Parrish are decent slots at best.
---I rewatched last season last week and Trent Edwards has a poise in the pocket we haven't seen since Van Pelt. BUt i'm not sure he's gonna be elite or top 10 EVER, BUT No way will he be top 10 this season..
--Defense- I like our CB's
-Our FS & SS are not good at coverage. Mainly WHitner. He's a Roy Williams/tackling animal, but super suspect in coverage and that hurt us last year..
-FS- I like George Wilson, but Ko SImpson is the more popular. Neither will be elite enough for us to go far imo.. ATleast not NOW.

--Strengths-- Lynch,Poz,Crowell,Kyle Williams,McGee,Greer,Butler & O-line, Schobel,Kelsay.
--WE ARE A 8-8 team. And that's a improvement..I know i was very thrilled last season when we finally FINALLY swept the Jets. & Of course our Phish sweep is always worth celebrating... We need to beat NE dmnt!

--If NE falls, we are there IMO..

gr8slayer
07-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Two more years.

Confused
07-10-2008, 04:46 PM
No one can lose winable games like the Bills. We have all the tools we need to get it done. no gaurantee here, but I think we will.

OpIv37
07-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Well two of our starters arnt rookies....the line if peters comes back will have there 2nd year together....TE is what pisses me off we needed a big improvement thats area that scares me.

But i feel our OC cant be worse then fairchild also so that alone should move us up a couple spots and hardy helping around redzone is also big he will draw more attention just bc of his height opens up more for us

your just a negative looker on things and that will never change no matter what this team does

See that's the thing- you call it being negative, I call it being realistic. While Turk is completely unproven, it's hard to imagine him being worse than Fairchild so that's most likely an upgrade. An extra year will help Lynch and Edwards, but Edwards is still inexperienced and we finished last year on a 4 game losing streak. Hardy can't hurt, but we're talking about a rookie being the only addition to the #30 offense.

I agree that the offense will improve, but the reality is that last year's offense was beyond pathetic and it's highly unlikely that the offense will improve enough. We'll probably go from 30th to 25th or 24th, which still won't get the job done.

This season depends on a lot of "if's"- we'll do well
if Edwards improves
If Lynch stays healthy and builds on last season
if Evans returns to 2006 form
If Schonert knows what he's doing
If Peters plays and stays healthy
if our TE's can contribute to the offense
If Hardy gett

etc. While it's highly unlikely that NONE of these things will work out in our favor (which would be a truly negative view) it's also highly unlikely that ALL of them will work out in our favor, or even enough of them for our offense to look like a real NFL offense for the first time in almost 15 years.

The reality is that this team has issues. We can downplay them or pretend they don't exist and talk playoffs, but on Sunday afternoons we're gonna have to stop playng make-believe whether we like it or not.

Marvelous
07-11-2008, 03:30 AM
mikemac2001, when the change is significant enough then you'll see the NegNancys step up. Until then 7-9 with a high of .500

-Man do we need a winning season or what already!!

tat2dmike77
07-12-2008, 12:56 AM
I guarantee no matter what happens OP will still find something to complain about.

Oh and i also guarantee the dolphins will be picking in the top5 of the draft next year.

OpIv37
07-12-2008, 06:19 AM
I guarantee no matter what happens OP will still find something to complain about.

Oh and i also guarantee the dolphins will be picking in the top5 of the draft next year.

based on what exactly?

I'm always complaining because this team is always losing and I'll stop when the team is winning. You have no way of knowing how I'll react to a situation that hasn't happened since this message board has been in existence.

And btw everything I say is valid, but people label it "complaining" because they don't want to deal with the reality of the situation.

Mitchy moo
07-12-2008, 06:41 AM
based on what exactly?

I'm always complaining because this team is always losing and I'll stop when the team is winning. You have no way of knowing how I'll react to a situation that hasn't happened since this message board has been in existence.

And btw everything I say is valid, but people label it "complaining" because they don't want to deal with the reality of the situation.

Reality is we have not played a game yet.

OpIv37
07-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Reality is we have not played a game yet.

the reality that the players on our team have played a LOT of football and the coaches on our team have coached a LOT of football so it's ignorant to simply ignore those histories or think our players will do something they've never proven they can do.

njsue
07-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah. This is Jauron's make it or break it year. I have a gut feeling we make the playoffs as a wild card. The Bills are this seasons SURPRISE TEAM!

The Bills should trade for BRETT FARVE!!! Dump Losman in Green Bay :snicker:

Bling
07-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Al the Bills Fan, andyxc71, BAM, blackonyx89, BuffaloBills06, Bulldog, clumping platelets, Crisis, doug0365, Dr. Pepper, draz54, DrGraves, Dujek, Eye8HerTaco, Finch1031, hammerbillsfan, hoofhearted, jamze132, Jaybird, KO1, Luisito23, madness, mayotm, Mr. Miyagi, Night Train, odin, Philagape, raphael120, SABuffalo786, shelby, slimschmittie, The Answer, Tiburon1724, TigerJ, W1DER1GHT, xXSpIkes5IXx lack cojones. :snicker: